The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Is One Of Alan Pardew’s Dilemmas

8:43 am, Friday, November 8th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

Vurnon Anita came on for the injured Cheick Tiote early in the second half last Saturday against Chelsea,  and put in another eye-catching performance in midfield, and it ended with the Dutch master brilliantly setting up Loic Remy for Newcastle’s second goal and that was the clincher, and Anita, Remy and the home crowd went crazy.

vurnon anita fulham

Vurnon Anita – in excellent form this season

Vurnon has been pushing for a regular starting place at Newcastle all season, and he has now adjusted well to the physical nature of English football and its fast pace, and he’s looked a very good player for Newcastle when he’s played this season.

And it’s a bit of a dilemma for the manager Alan Pardew, but it’s a nice problem to have,  when all your midfield players are performing extremely well and somebody has to be left out.

This is what the 24 year-old said in the local press today:

“We have to wait and see what the manager does,” “If I play, great – I’m happy.” “But if I’m not, I’ll work hard to get in the team.”

“Maybe I’ll get a chance to come on and make a big impact again. We will wait and see.” “It’s not the first time I have had this. I had the same thing at Ajax, so I know what to do.”

“I’m a player that wants to work hard all the time.” “If I come on, I want to show everybody what I can do. That’s no problem.”

“It’s good to get the chance to show the manager what you can do,” “It came out great for me in this game, but not only for me, also the team.

“It’s a team performance, so everybody’s happy, and also the supporters.” “Remy finished it well. He played a good game. We’re also happy for him, the team and the supporters.”

It’s  tough game on Sunday at Tottenham, and it’s a place we never do well at, although last season the team played very well, but that man Gareth Bale did us in with two terrific goals, and we went down 2-1.

And since Gareth is now playing in Spain at Real Madrid, if the lads can put in another strong and solid performance, then we could take something out of the game.

But we are going to have to be somewhere near our best, as we were against Chelsea.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Vurnon Anita

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Nov 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I can’t disagree with both your points, believe it or not! Both your points ring true.

Still, on expectations, if you close your eyes when we play at Morecambe’s level (or below!) and open them (only) when we play well, we sure look like world beaters!

Mr Tuff,
    Thanks for the lesson mate. Not big on my apostles.

• 2 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM

9toonarmydownsouth // Nov 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I think you’ll probably find if Real Madrid rename there stadium a astronomical sponsorship deal will be involved
    Not “were just going to call it this as an example because simply telling sponsors they can buy the naming rights won’t work, we’ll do the same with advertising boards as well while were at it”

Completley different scenario’s

• 3 Ibizatoon // Nov 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Cyrpus…I don’t know whether that should make me laugh or cry! I think I’ll laugh.

• 4 Levi // Nov 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Vurnon Anita: great player, great person

alot of people forget that he was our only half decent player through long periods of last year.

• 5 Malta Mag // Nov 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Same team as Chelsea even though I love this little fella!! Spurs are not the same team with AVB in charge, not the same flair and freedom to express themselves. Their fans have always been fickle and there are grumbling even though they are sitting pretty. I think we’ll get something from this.

• 6 Our Toon // Nov 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Hi All,

We didn’t receive a penny from the name change which really annoyed the fans….Real Madrid will receive more than what they paid for Bale I reckon, if that was us I would be to bothered what the stadium was called!! Receiving no more was shocking though, another example of free advertising for SD

• 7 Ibizatoon // Nov 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Lil…I imagine it’d be for a fairly tasty sum.

Not sure I agree with you on the showcasing point at all anymore. If it was the case, then surely we must deem the whole experience a failure, no?

Personally, I think it was more a gesture to test the fans reaction, under the pretense of “showcasing”.

• 8 Ibizatoon // Nov 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM

OurToon…Exactly. IF these moves were to actually benefit the club and push us forward, then maybe it’d be a different story.

But there has actually only been one entity that’s benefited and it isn’t Newcastle United.

• 9 Black and White with an army lol // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM

and just imagine i was the only one who said we should go in for Anita because he’s mint and i still remember the grief i got when i mention him.

1 – he’s slow
    2 – he’s small
    3 – spent to much money on him
    4 – he’s gonna be a flop
    5 – he’s rubbish

well i got to say to those who said this to me jokes on you mug.

• 10 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Our Toon
    Exactly mate, and it’s still what annoys most fans
    NUFC in no way benefitted from the name change, just as they don’t from any of the advertising around the stadium nor the SD sponsorship on the training gear

• 11 cyprus // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Legit points, all.
    Still, we haven’t exactly always been trailblazers at SJ. I know, new name doesn’t always mean success. Especially if it doesn’t translate to a lot of cash.
    I understand the traditionalists, really. The fact that it’s hard to ‘adore’ a player these days (here now gone tomorrow) makes us turn to the shirt, the stadium etc. But, the attachment to a particular name is an unnecessary security blanket.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I use the term showcase as that is what they labelled it as. I don’t think it was in any way a gesture to test the fans, or even an attempt to bring others in t pay to rename particularly. Completely ill conceived idea when the brand and owner were still unpopular with many fans.

I doubt they would deem t a failure, the amount of free advertising it received, and national press coverage it received in the run up to they olympics will have made it more than a success.

• 13 Ibizatoon // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Black and white…Have to say, that chant is pants! 🙂

• 14 Mister Tuff // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM

On the advertising front -watched the Spurs game last night and could not avoid focusing on the advertising. The LED boards advertised quite a lot of companies -some were repeated but certainly more than at SJP. Seems that most of these LED adverts are on 20 second cycles and are obviously the most expensive form (as opposed to static boards). Clearly we are losing money here.
    I thought that Tubbs may own about a dozen companies -however whilst checking out one of his fellow director -guy called Fraser -the number of companys’ owned by Tubbs is way over a hundred -I stopped counting at 100.
    The list is expanded slightly as some of the smaller SD shops are listed individually as companies. But generally the list is massive. I would hate to be a Tax Inspector checking out all of this lot. Clearly plenty of scope for “confusion” for those enquiring eyes.

• 15 Ibizatoon // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Lil…Sorry, I thought you were saying that they genuinely changed the name to showcase the potential to other companies, which is what I was claiming to be rubbish and a failure.

Clearly it worked well for Ashley / SD.

• 16 Our Toon // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM

We miss out on a lot of revenue because of this regime, we’ve sold our soul to Wonga for less money than Virgin deal, funny how there advertising has now been replaced by Firetrap….Surely Mike doesn’t own Firetrap as well!!

• 17 Ibizatoon // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Tuff…Confusion? That’s unlike Ashley, are you sure you’ve done your research properly?

This is honest and upfront Mike we’re talking about here.

• 18 Black and White with an army lol // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM

when i checked the financial stats a few days ago there’s one thing i thought about it and that was MA has pocket the money

a couple of weeks back i said on this site that even though MA has put his 200 million of his money into the club i can guarantee he got it back and that 200 million is there for any poor sucker willing to buy Newcastle.

to me now this is what he’s doing, ppl say he’s a great businessmen, i say he’s not, he’s greedy, he’s taking our hard earn money and we are getting nowt back

• 19 Our Toon // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Bottom line is that we are a marketing tool for his businesses and ppl who talk about him saving us as we were at deaths door is talking absolute tosh!! 80m in debt but this a risen to £130m under his stewardship!! £40m of that to cover for relegation

• 20 Black and White with an army lol // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM

it wasn’t a chant mate but i could have a good one though

Anita, Anita Ani Ani nita
    when he gets the ball and pass it more
    Ani Ani Nita

• 21 Ibizatoon // Nov 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM

black and white..Oh right 🙂 Was only playing with ya. Completely agree, he’s a classy little player is wor Anita.

• 22 Ancientcoptic // Nov 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Pardew has quite a dilemma on his hands, Tiote & Anita do not appear to be able to work together, as their positional sense is similar and they end up clogging up the others freedom.

Personally I would opt for Anita and try to get Newcastle playing with the ball, if that fails then swap Anita for Tiote.

previous post: Second Half Was The Best I’ve Played This Season