The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Here’s Why January Is Time For Newcastle To Strengthen Squad

9:53 am, Monday, November 11th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

When Newcastle finished 5th in the Premier League a year last May, fans wanted to see the squad strengthened for the upcoming Europa League campaign,  but the powers that be at the club made a huge mistake by not doing that, and we suffered the consequences last season, simply  because our squad wasn’t big enough or good enough to play two games a week, and we came far too close to relegation for comfort. :(

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United - White Hart Lane

Here’s one way to get Loic Remy to sign for Newcastle this summer

And there have been one or two doubts about the five Frenchmen we brought in during the January transfer window, but all five players seem to be getting used to the Premier League,  and in the last couple of games we’ve had six Frenchmen starting for the side, including four of the new arrivals and Loic Remy, who is on loan from QPR for the season.

So those five new players are now appearing to be real value for money,  and the very fact that four of them are starters suggests we have strengthened the team and the squad this year.

The upcoming January transfer window is not the time to rest on our laurels again and wrongly surmise the squad is now good enough – the squad is never good enough and can always be improved.

And getting say two or three new players in the January might even convince players like Loic Remy that Newcastle do indeed have ambitions higher than just finishing in the upper half of the Premier League every season.

So our good form is even more reason to get players in during January, and not less reason.

There’s a saying in the business world that to improve the performance of your company, you need to be constantly getting better, and if you are not, you are simply going to fall behind.

That concept was hammered into me the last 10 years of my IBM career, when I started to lead one of our growing new consulting businesses in IBM.

And that attitude will stop any company from becoming complacent once they get some success, which seems to be what happened to Newcastle eighteen months ago.

So January is the time to bring in another two or three top players, and who knows, we may even finish high up in the league table next May, and have Loic Remy sign on for us permanently in the summer.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Europa League · European Champions League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 BuckLuck // Nov 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Repost
    I have to correct my self. Yesterday i wrote that Pardew missed bigtime with his tactics, but i regret that a bit. A good initial setup got us the three points, even though Tottenham outplayed us badly the second half.

Anyway. Haven’t been this hyped since we played 433 in the 2011/2012 season. Under the circumstances I’ll take it.

• 2 martoon // Nov 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Repost:
    Anybody noticed that even though Shola has played quite well he is always subbed after about 60 mins. I’m starting to wonder if these days that’s all he can manage. I think the idea yesterday was to beef up the midfield with Anita but I think it backfired because we had no out ball to somebody who could hold the ball up. I’m not critcising because I’m thrilled with the win but just an observation.

• 3 Ibizatoon // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Ed…Getting in 2 or 3 players wouldn’t just show Remy we have some ambition, but the fans too.

Would love to be priced wrong, but I just can’t see it happening. Will Ashley allow us to spend what we don’t have if we’re hitting our season target?

• 4 Magickit // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Can we train Cisse solely on his muscle and hold up play?? Such as elder shearer…

I think Cisse maybe a bit lightweight to lead the line in BPL

• 5 sticklebricks // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Shola has been good these last few games, could have easily had a goal or two yesterday. Every good bit of play we had yesterday was built around him winning the ball, bringing it under control and laying it off to someone around him.

I agree we needed a game yesterday about the time he came off if not before but I think Sissoko for Anita might have been a better option..

Will be interesting to see who plays at RB with Debuchy injured…? I would imagine Anita will step in though Tavs was on the bench against Chelsea.. Or possibly Colo/Mapou with one or t’other partnering Willo @ CB…? I can see it being a problem anyway and distrupting our rhythm/balance so not sure how we will fair against Norwich..

• 6 sticklebricks // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

** I mean Debuchy suspended rather than injured!

• 7 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM

We won yesterday.

Yes I am pleased as punch. Hope we can make Europa or UCL. ;)

But this does not take away from the fact that pardew is a Terrible terrible manager and I will not shed any tears if he gets the chop.

• 8 G // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM

@4, I still believe it’s a confidence thing for Cisse. I agree that playing with Cisse is like playing with 10 men, as he looks like he doesn’t know where he is supposed to be. His record stands for itself though, and I don’t believe he suddenly woke up one day and found himself a bad player. I think he is a very good player who needs to get his mojo back.

• 9 Rainrix // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Sticklebricks…. My bet is colo will come back in and mbiwa will go to lb and santon will switch to the right. A shame that the defence has to be broken up after the last 2 games though.

• 10 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Ibiza
    Well we defiantly won’t get 2-3 unless some are sold as we have a 24 man squad and can only have a 25
    I can see a couple leaving, be it on loan or permanent
    Obertan maybe, Benny in the summer will be in his last year so maybe why he still has a value, cisse, would cabs go in a WC year, not so sure, colo? Jonas?
    It’s going to be a pivotal window for me

Martoon
    In all fairness he prob can only manage that, the blokes 31 and has wrecked his hips in the name of playing for the toon playing when he needed surgery because we had no one else
    Certainly we need to bring another CF

• 11 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

TADS

Those 24 Include Ryan Taylor, Amalfitano and Dan Gosling

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Indian
    There still named mate, not sure if you can simply un name them, not sure how it works

• 13 Magickit // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I trust Cisse will come good sooner. I can see him running very hard in def recently. He still got the heart for the team!!

i saw him In german league, he worked really great. In BPL, he often manage to face bigger body defender which makes him looks lightweight.

I hope Cisse can physically look like ameobi but with his own running and shooting skill!!!

• 14 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

TADS

You can unname them, the only problem with us I feel is HG players. we ere on the limit and had to include the likes of RAYLOR and Tavernier to get 9 HG players.

• 15 tequilamag // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Amalfitano is not in squad

• 16 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Magickit
    Sorry mate but haven’t seen him doing any running or putting in any graft
    His attitude is appalling on the pitch at the moment, he doesn’t need to bulk up, he needs to look at the other lads like gouffran sissoko tiote cabs willo etc and take a leaf out there book and sort his application out
    Case in point, yesterday, we relieved some pressure, cisse was no where to be seen in our half cabaye picked the ball up on the right played an absolutely stunning curled cross field ball and cisse was offside, against one CB, there is no excuse for that, non at all

• 17 Toon-Prodigy // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I was pulling my hair out when Cisse was offside there!

What a ball from Cabs that was.

Perfect.

• 18 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Prodigy
    Lol aye i was fuming mate

• 19 lesh // Nov 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I err towards thinking that Cisse’s game’s gone downhill since the Wonga conflict with his faith raised its head.

For all he may have had religious ‘blessing’ that sporting Wonga’s logo’s ok, I’m convinced that his heart’s happy with it.

He’s not alone is he and it just shows the state we’re in when other clubs are being sponsored by international, credible brands yet the one that attracted Ashley and Llambias us a brand that’s viewed as one that us not perceived as prestigeous. I wonder if Wonga was the only one that was keen to be associated with Newcastle United? If so, so much for the brand that is Newcastle United. After all, Wonga’s hardly Hewlett Packard, Samsung, Emiratrs, Standard Charter, Virgin et al, is it?

On football matters, I’ll repost thus from earlier:

Yo-yo.

Indeed we do need to to leave teams no time on the ball, constantly putting them under pressure in possession, leaving them no space to think and time passes.

From what I saw on MotD that’s exactly what our defence were doing yesterday – particularly when Townsend got hold of the ball. Two of our boys, two at least, closed him down abd harried him away and back, away from goal. Even Cabaye was getting in on that act.

Now I wonder if all those slamming Pardew’s tactics might recognise that positive and productive play? Or should Williamson be dropped for being involved in what was a good tactic in the circumstances.

Oh, nearly forgot Catchy, Pardew doesn’t do tactics does he!

• 20 Phil K // Nov 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Remy should have been on a “sign if he does job” loan contract. NOT being given the opportunity to hold both clubs to ransom. Which due to his excellent performances, he will. (All the hoo hah and drooling about Suarez on 8 goals, and Remy’s on SIX and not mentioned)

• 21 Owldman // Nov 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Because of his success at the Toon I don’t think we will get Remy in the summer because I am sure a bigger club than us will come in for him ,one that will offer him more than us in wages,& possibly Champions League football.

• 22 sticklebricks // Nov 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM

@ Ranrix – 9

Yes, that probably makes more sense hadn’t thought of that though I would imagine it is how we will line up.

previous post: I Need Performances Worthy Of The Best Fans In The World