The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It’s The Best Goalkeeping Performance I Have Ever Seen

12:24 am, Monday, November 11th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

In the game yesterday at White Hart Lane, it seemed to be Tim Krul vs Tottenham in the second half, and Tim Krul won, after he made a string of world-class saves to keep the clean sheet for Newcastle, and it was another 3 points to take us up to 17 points from eleven games, and maintain our 9th position, but gain 3 points on a a number of sides above us.

tim krul saves with left foot

Tim Krul - saved this one with his left foot

In fact when Tim saved a free kick from Sigurdsson  that was almost diverted past him, he still got a hand onto the ball to stop it from going in, and just exactly how Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa beat three Tottenham players to hook the ball away before it crossed over the line, we are still working that one out – but Tottenham manager Villas-Boas had his head in his hands after that one.

This is what Loic Remy, who scored the winner after 13 minutes, had to say on the Newcastle web-site after the game about the brilliant Newcastle goalkeeper:

“Tim was brilliant,” “In my opinion he was the man of the match and there is no competition.” “He was simply amazing and we needed that.”

“Everyone put in great performances but Tim was on a different level.” “I have played with a lot of very good goalkeepers in my career but today Tim’s performance was the best I’ve seen.”

“He preserved the score for us and helped us win.” “I saw Gouffran with the ball and ran in behind the two defenders,”

“I touched the ball because I knew the goalkeeper wanted to make a quick decision. So I touched it past him and was very happy when I put it in.”

“I am very pleased but I am a striker and it is my job to score goals. That is what I do for the team – I always want to do my best for my teammates.”

“It is only seven goals at the moment though. I want more and I hope I score a lot more between now and the end of the season.”

Remy’s goal was his seventh in seven league games, and it’s just a pity this lad has not signed permanently for Newcastle yet.

loic remy tottenham

Loic Remy in action yesterday

Newcastle gave another very good account of themselves yesterday afternoon, and again the back four and especially Mike Williamson and Yanga-Mbiwa in central defense were superb.

And Tim’s performance in goal was easily the best seen in the Premier League this season.

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Premier League · Tim Krul

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 lesh // Nov 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM

It’s not a pity that Remy has not signed permanently. Our very own Joe (the world’s leading expert on motivational psychology) Kinnear shrewdly signed Remy onto a season long loan to make him hungry to score and score the goals that would persuade us to sign him on a permanent deal.

And it worked, yet another blinder from the best Director of Football in the world.

• 2 lesh // Nov 11, 2013 at 1:24 AM

And as for Tim Krul, 14 top drawer saves in one match just says it all. What a star who we must bust a gut to keep.

If Joe’s on his case, then we can be confident Krul’s with us for years to come.

• 3 Graeme // Nov 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM

What a team, despite the apathy of the owner! Hopefully, his stated ambition of mid-table mediocrity will be replaced by some empathy for the fans, the City, the TEAM – hopefully, it will instill in him a HUGE slice of AMBITION. We know you dont “DO” excitement, thrills, performance, passion, PRIDE. Why, exactly have you bought NUFC??

Your aims, the ambition of the fans, the ability of the players just seem so mutually exclusive. WHY cant you show a similar passion? or are you in it purely here for the cash generating capacity of NUFC? Together with our ability to create more publicity than you are really worth??

Questions were asked when you banned the local reporters; answers were promised within, usually, three days. Two weeks later, still silence from a Football Club – such silence speaks volumes – you simply do not care what your customers think; you have total contempt for the fans of NUFC.

• 4 dcdick // Nov 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

It’s another win against quality opposition & another tactic from Pardew…………………….score in the first half then just hang on for the rest of the game

Crazy tactic has worked twice in a row…………….how long will it continue ????

Well done Tim K ………………..you played a blinder & won us the game

No change at the top though……………………

Pardew out !!!

• 5 Bearsize // Nov 11, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Our good form is down to collocini being out. He is the iceman on the ball and has been great for our team, but he has been gash this season. His positional play has been poor and doesnt seem to have the heart anymore. Trying to get his value down if you ask me. With debuchy suspended this is the perfect opportunity for pards to get colo back in the line up with mbiwa going right back. Mbiwa undeserved all the flak after everton game, if you watch the goals again you can see colo having a stinker. Need to take the blinkers off with colo, he’s our captain but he shouldn’t be exempt from fair criticism!

• 6 Malta Mag // Nov 11, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Well done Alan Pardew. A manager who once again proves his doubters wrong. Big decision of the day was whether or not to bring back the club captain yet he chose to stick with a winning combination and although we were under siege for long periods yesterday, the defence did us proud. I am no lover of Ameobi but you can see the reasoning behind his inclusion and it’s clear Remy responds well to having a big man alongside him. Good call by Pardew again..
    I would like nothing better than Pardew to get the success at Newcastle he deserves. Of course there are question marks over him but aren’t there question marks over every manager? Look at Moyes, Martinez and AVB? Look at Pelligrini and the once acclaimed Chris Hughton?
    At this time Pardew is having a good time so let’s enjoy it for goodness sake and give the bloke credit. I for one think he deserves it.

• 7 HullMag6 // Nov 11, 2013 at 5:22 AM

I’d start looking for another young centre back, let Colo go to San Lorenzo for 5m. Him and Saylor bench at best at the present, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Remy must get signed, I think if we are getting Gomis it’s to work with Remy as Shola might not have enough in the tank.

• 8 FinnBarr // Nov 11, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Krul was a man possessed today! Collecting 6 points from Chelsea and Spurs? Agreed- credit where credit is due.

• 9 cyprus // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I’m one of the 472 (or whatever) who predicted a win here, but, if you didn’t watch this game, this was not a Chelsea repeat. Our lack of possession was similar (not crucial to a result anyway) but otherwise, these were two totally different games. Against Chelsea, it was relatively comfortable: Ok first half, very good second.

This was a different game: Very good first half, terrible second! We could not pass the ball! But, we had Krul in goal and we cashed in a lot of our luck chips too.

BTW, credit where due. A 10/10 to Obertan!!! YEP. Those who read this blog may know that I said I’d give him that mark if I ever saw him actually dribble past a player. In 3 years I never saw him do that. Well, he did yesterday. You missed it? Pity.

• 10 Slank // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Cyprus

‘..him actually dribble past a player…’

Was it past a Spurs player?

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Another excellent result. Not sure that it is a sign we have turned the corner, or that Pardew got it right tactically yesterday. We got the 3 points down to an inspired performance from Krul. We showed a lot of graft and commitment, but we were outplayed for long periods of the game. Very different to the Chelsea game where we grew into it and had a game plan.

Still, a win is a win, so it would be foolish to grumble. If we play like that regularly though we will lose more then we win.

Really pleased for Shola, another very solid performance from the big man. Remy scoring again, got to be happy with that, although every goal he scores probably draws more attention from other clubs. Still, he is ours until at least May, so let’s just enjoy it.

• 12 Blofal // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Ben Arfa must be seriously contemplating his future. I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes in January. I don’t even know what he would be worth given his lack of game time and inconsistency…

• 13 Slank // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

A lot of credit must go to Pardew. He resisted the temptation to change a winning team replacing Yanga-Mbiwa with captain Colo and dropping Shola.

It looks like the squad has regained its team spirit that it had two seasons ago that was a significant factor in getting to 5th spot.

The danger now is that they take their foot of the peddle against ‘weak opposition’.

• 14 Thump // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Just noticed Bills-Son having another of his strops last night and getting his facts wrong again. This time clocking me for a post I didn’t make. Sad.

• 15 catchy in norway // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:29 AM

the last time I seen a goal keeper have as good a game as that,
    it was Nufc v peter schmeichel march 4th 1996, we battered them, he stopped everything

• 16 Thump // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM

@Blofal: In all honesty, he’s a professional footballer and he knows what is expected of him. He has been very inconsistent and should probably take some blame for some of the performances. I think he can become a much more rounded footballer but not under Pardew; he seems to treat him like a kid. On that note, I think Obertan came on yesterday (instead of Arfa) to be put in the shop window. That worked well…

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Blofal,
    HBA will go in Jan or ext Summer. Hopefully in Jan and we can bring in a couple of lads to add more strength and depth to the squad.

He is out of contract in 2015, given his lack of consistency, and the fact he thinks he could win the Balon d’Or there could be a slight (Large) difference in what the club value him at for wages, and what Benny thinks he is worth.

I’d let him go for anything around £10million. I think that is probably a realistic figure.

• 18 catchy in norway // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

I think in the right team with the right manager , HBA could be a star,

it will never happen under pardew, so id move him on to, and right now, id snap 10 mil if we could get it, I think he is living on memories of great goals,

the sad fact from yesterday was that we defended as a team, but we rarely attack as a team, and having a player like HBA is a curse , as he is expected to beat 12 players and pop it in the top corner every match, if not he is dropped

• 19 Slank // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I expect Ben Arfa to be sold, sadly.

In a much slower paced league he would be excellent but in the Premiership his lack tracking back and tackling (although not necessarily a requirement for a winger) exposes his fullback in particular and the team in general.

The contrast between him and Goofy is there for all to see. Also the massively improved performances from Debuchy since Sissoko has been in front of him says it all really.

I like Ben Arfa. He is probably the most gifted player at the club but the modern game requires so much more.

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Thing is with HBA, he has played in a slower paced league, and he has played under better managers. The results though have always been the same. He has not had a single good full season in his career. His career stats indicate that his spell at Newcastle is the most consistent in his career in terms of goals and assists.

He isn’t a bairn anymore, so can’t be afforded the excuse of still developing and learning his game. This is his 10th season playing professional first team football. He has all the ability in the world, but hasn’t got the attitude or aptitude to become the player he should be.

• 21 bills-son // Nov 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Thump,

Apologies for using Thump instead of Mister Tuff.

Another one of my strops?

I make positive comments about the result yesterday and Mister Tuff (apt name) says he’d love to give me a beating.

Is that what this blog has come to?

Just because I go against the line of doom, gloom and constant Pardew and Ashley bashing I am in the minority on this blog. Easy fot the blog big boy bullies to gang up and all agree that their slagging posts are the voice of true ‘supporters’ and mine are strops. How infantile.

No of you will shut me up.

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Bills,
    The thing that most annoys me on this blog is when people decide to label other posters who disagree as not a true fan. Apart from the occasional troll on here EVERYONE is a NUFC supporter. Yes, we may disagree on what we think is the best direction for the club to take, but we all do so with the best of intentions for the club and NUFC.

• 23 yo-yo // Nov 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Ruddy

Opinionated you certainly are – correct almost certainly not. The arrogance of youth describes your blog posts to a Mr T.
    Anything you write as speculation is nothing more than that so don’t try to dress up your opinions as more sound than the 4-3-3 guysor with more certainty. Its an interesting debate and I’m in the Ibiza fence sitting camp here – sometimes 4-4-2 will work best and sometimes 4-3-3. We need players who can adapt to both during the course of a match.
    As for the psychology of Cisse. Strikers almoast all have lean patches – some have abysmal runs. Cisse is one of them. The goals he has scored have frequently been top quality. AP is trying a combination of patience and challenge to help him get back his final touch. That is the best strategy for the team imo. Your prejudice against Cisse clouds your judgement here I think. Cisse on form would give us really good options tactically. The same applies to Benny. Gouffy is outshining many players just now because of his level of commitment and work rate. It’s a team game and these qualities are as important as dribbling skills after 95minutes.

• 24 bills-son // Nov 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Lil,

I agree apart from trolls eveyone is a fan – but what I can’t understand are those who almost wish a defeat just so they can justify their pre-match predictions and add more fuel to their fires under Patdew and Ashley.

In all walks of life its always easier to criticise than to praise, always easier to find the fault in something than the good, always easier to moan than be cheerful.

This blog is becoming a haven for slaggers, moaners and NUFC grave diggers.

And that’s why so many posters have left or rarely post. We beat Chelsea and Spurs in successive games without conceding a goal and at least half the posts are still Pardew Out, crap play, lucky result, no ambition and the rest.

No wonder this blog is going downhill fast.

• 25 yo-yo // Nov 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Bills

Your long term almost unquestioning support of Ashley is what marks you out. Not your more reasoned comments on team balance, tactics and players etc.,
    I have no faith in Mashley whatsoever as a club owner (though he is not the devil incarnate) but would agree with you on many of your other points. Agreeing to differ instead of getting a slagging off from other “true fans” does mark this blog down as difficult terrain at times. Bias and prejudice are separated by degree and we can surely all voice our own opinions without total prejudice against any other views taking over.

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Bills,
    I don’t think there are many, if any, that go in to a match hoping we lose – possibly Catchy, i think I remember seeing him post something along those lines last season.

I’m over the moon with 2 wins, credit to Pardew definitely for the Chelsea game, I thought he got it tactically spot on there, and I’m more than happy to praise when it is deserved. As good as the result was yesterday, Pardew didn’t get the game right – evidenced by Spurs having 31 shots, and 14 on target. We were lucky that Krul put in an inspired performance.

I am looking forward to the Norwich game, although it isn’t being shown out here. It will be very interesting to see how we set up in that game. We should be looking to take the game to them, that is when Pardew has been at his weakest tactically in my opinion.

I have always said that I will be happy to be proved wrong. Two home wins against Norwich and WBA and a strong performance away at Swansea and he will start to show evidence that he has improved. Alternatively, this could be another false dawn.

previous post: Tottenham 0 Newcastle 1 – Full Match Report