Sunderland Was One Of The Worst Defeats Of My Career

Mike Williamson turned 30 last Friday, a day before Newcastle recorded their second successive win against a top six side when we beat Tottenham 1-0 at White Hart Lane, after we had demolished Chelsea 2-0 the weekend before.

Michael Williamson Tottenham

Mike Williamson in action at White Hart Lane

Mike has talked about the disastrous result at Sunderland a few weeks ago, which he says is one of the worst defeats of his career, and he’s pleased that since then Newcastle have put in strong defensive performances against Manchester city, Chelsea and on Saturday against Tottenham Hotspur, and all are top six clubs in  England.

This is what Williamson has to say on the Newcastle web-site today:

“We have two clean sheets and two wins now against two difficult teams, so everyone is very happy,” “It’s a reaction. The supporters were obviously upset by the loss at Sunderland.”

“I can’t speak for anyone else, but for me it was one of the worst defeats of my career.” “I can’t stand losing those games that mean so much. I hate it.”  “It was then all about how we responded to it. “

“In the cup against Manchester City we kept a clean sheet over 90 minutes, and then we went on to beat Chelsea and Tottenham.” “You couldn’t go to Tottenham and get anything unless it was a real team effort.”

“The lads were brilliant, we defended from the front and it was a great team win.”  “We had to defend a lot,  but when you’ve got players like Yoan Gouffran, Loic Remy, Shola Ameobi and Moussa Sissoko on the pitch,  you are always likely to nick a goal as well.”

“Everyone was pulling in the same direction and we never lost sight of what we were trying to achieve.”

Certainly Newcastle have looked very solid in the last three games, in which we haven’t conceded any goals in the first ninety minutes of all three games, and now the challenge is to keep up the good form and results against Norwich City and West Brom, which are next two league games at home.

Ian Begg is a reader who recently found out that his Mom was very ill, and he has to return to Australia. Ian has a Platinum Club season ticket that has £700 left on it, and he is willing to sell it for £650 or a best offer.

Please see if you can help Ian out, and you can contact him by email at ian_s_begg@hotmail.com – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM

TP,We have what looks like a half decent team atm but the only reason we have a semblance of competition for places is because of the near relegation last season, had we have been chugging along in the relative safety of mid table and an early exit from the EL we would not have brought five players, there is no reasoning to our transfer policy, as much as I like Anita why on earth was he bought when we were desperate for a CB and when Shola is starting games it is glaringly obvious were short up top but if we’ve got thirty odd points by January can you honestly see any money being spent.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Any discerning fan will agree that we need at least a decent centre forward and a commanding CB, whether we get them is another matter.
    If we have a good points haul approaching January – there will be no pressure to buy anyone – we could see out the rest of the season and collected the TV money -without any (great) expenditure.
    It does appear to me that we are being softened up -to potentially selling one of our better players -to get the cash for some replacements. Lots of variables involved but I don’t think the common line from SJP about us having no money is without purpose. Also will JK want to go a full year without any signing success.
    Remy -responds to his bail a week on Thursday -so we should get to know whether he is going to be NFA’d or charged. If he gets injured we will have massive problems.

• Jackel001

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Personally I’ll be expecting 3 points from the Norwich and WBA game but maybe that’s a bit greedy, so I’d be pleased with 4 points. Anything less than that then the past two results mean nothing if we can’t be the “lesser” teams. A certain Chris Houghton beat the big teams but we couldn’t beat the likes of blackpool and back then, in four games time, he got sacked so the next two games are VERY important.

• Jackel001

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

6 points sorry*

• Blofal

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Does anyone else think that with a bit of time Sissoko could turn into quite a decent RW player? RW/RM imo is somewhere that he is showing glimpses of the player he could be for us.

• Toon-Prodigy

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Aye, you don’t have to tell me the transfer policy is flawed Jail. Im only too aware going from the past couple of summers.

What will be worrying is if we lose top players come January being the stepping stone club he has made us into. Then we are back to square one and bedding in new players all over again and waiting to see if they are decent. Sadly we only seem to sign quality when we are either desperate or replacing players. Not the ambition I crave and think this club deserves.

Waiting until we sold Cabaye in the summer was a down right disgrace I thought. We have the funds and should be signing players regardless of sales. Our whole transfer blue print for last summer was based on if we sold Cabaye or not. Ridiculous.

What is majorly sad though is we are only a few quality players from challenging that top eight year after year. It gets to me why they do not just add to the squad and let us compete to our maximum advantage.

Bedtime for me catch you in a bit Jail.

Have fun lads.

• PUMMELLER

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Sissoko was quoted as saying he is working in his composure in front of goal because he has never played either the freedom he has now and hasn’t been an attack minded player to the level he is now before. He is developing and I think could we turn out to be brilliant. Worth 2m of anyone’s money.
    I think Ashley has his faults but IN MY OPINION transfers are not one of them. Until this summer. We don’t get mugged off and we buy very good players for cheap. Last season injuries caught us out and we could have got in trouble, in fact we did, but we survived and just needed a small injection to sit where Southampton are now and we decided against it. The squad looks strong though. If we could get Cisse in form and Ben Arfa gives us the 30 mins impact sub performances we need it might be a good season!!

Do I dare be hopeful? Not 100% but I love being a Newcastle fan

• Charlietoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Pummeller I think Southhampton being where they are shows what a strange and mystical beast the transfer window is. To my memory, and I could be wrong, I cant recall them spending any ridiculous amounts of money or putting a limit on the window goals. Like we need to spend 20 mill or we need four players. I am sure they strengthened but they kept the spine of them team going and added a face or two to freshen it up. They are where they are because of their work eithic and the tactics of their managers that has them playing very high up the field and working the socks off every second to get the ball back when they lose. The only reason they are successful at the first is because they work so hard on the second. We are working harder and harder and I apart from a new striker, and replacing anyone important we lose I don’t think we will see to much movement this window. For instance I’d like to see Jonas and Obertan moved on but I dont think we need to a left winger. Gouff, Sammy and Santon could occupy that spot with Dummett and Hiadara fighting it out for left back plus Ferguson in the mix. We need to send Cisse and Shola packing and find a harder working pair of strikers. I’d be open for Defoe on the cheap, Remy of course on permanent and pushing Ben Arfa up that end if he starts putting in the graft.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Tuff
    At the very least we need a big lad at the back and a big lad upfront!
    Would also like to see a young creative midfielder to work under cabs, give him half a season to learn under him in case he’s offski’s in the summer!

• PUMMELLER

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Southampton do work hard for each other and I think it’s the attitude we have been showing the last few games. No hiding from the fact that when we are bad we are really bad n those days need to be fewer and further between. Barcelona for all there nice football, work harder than anyone. Why I have no time for Ben Arfa at the moment. I don’t dispute his magic touch and wonderful strike. I was there for the Blackburn goal and it’s probably the best goal I’ve ever seen live. I also don’t dispute the fact he doesn’t have consistency, he definitely doesn’t have the right work ethic. For the record. He is my favourite player and want him in the team asap, if he wants it and wants to show just how good he could be. I’m not sure he does

• Mister Tuff

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM

TADS – I think it’s been apparent to most fans that we have had continuing problems at the back for a couple of years -the injuries to Saylor and Colo -return to his homeland have not helped. We definitely need a tall CB who can marshal the defence. As for who could be a candidate -I’ve got no idea. Douglas was supposed to be volatile -think he’s been sent off playing for his new club in Russia.
    As for a centre forward – in the summer I was hoping we would get Gomis -probably because there was no interest in anybody else -or nobody suitable was available. Now looking back I’m relatively pleased we did not get him – plus he’s not scoring a lot. As for who might be suitable/available -I’ve got no idea. However what I would say is that up to January they should have some potential candidates. If not -questions need to be raised. With the addition of 3 quality players -we could become more consistent and get to a good league position which could only be positive.

• Carr Toon

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Reason behind the recent success has been Gutierrez being nowhere near the first team…….btw where is he?injured???

• toonincheek

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Maybe the last few games, where the team showed more commitment will be the catalyst for HBA realising that he has to do the same.
    I don’t expect him to turn into a hard tackler overnight – that isn’t his style – but he does need to get back and give support.

After all, attacking FBs is the current way and HBA MUST give support to our FB to avoid a 2 on 1 situation.

Like all Toon fans, I live in hope.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Senor Tuff…sadly that goes the other way around as well – just try going back to Sunday evening 😉

…same same but just different people! I agree with your post, but saly the problem you are referring to is not down to one party.

But Hey Ho…who cares 😉

Morning lads!

• John Tudor

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM

im working on a book of 1 liners, shame the green grocer pops up to spoil things with his wicked backbiting

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:43 AM

JT…good for you mate! Should. that comment bother me or was it yet another one of your wicked thoughts?

• RonVanDam

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Hahaha jt you just got pwned.

At this stage of the season I’m still hoping we hit that magic 45points by Feb so we don’t have to go through the same agony of last season worrying about relegation

• Blofal

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I predict Fulham, Stoke and Crystal Palace to be relegated this season. Poyet is doings wonders with Sunderland…. I would have loved to see him here.

• Our Toon

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM

PUMMELLER

Southampton did spend big this summer (compared to us) they bought in Osvaldo, who compliments Lambert. Southampton fans have said that the best signing they made was Victor Wanyama, the style of play they have is attacking Wanyama sits and mops up but the reason they are keeping clean sheets is that the whole team hunts in packs high up the pitch to win the ball back, Wanyama lost the ball on Saturday which led to them conceding, the manager subbed him straight away….make a mistake or get cocky then you’re hooked son. The manager is ruthless in that sense but has the team playing as a team, they are so organised it’s ridiculous, we are getting carried away with the Chelsea and Spurs games I feel…..reality is only around the corner. We were shocking against Spurs, its only there bad finishing and the greediness of Andros Townsend (Shoot on Sight) that saved us. Krul made the most saves by a keeper in PL ever I believe, we sat back as we always do in the second half of games and almost got caught out again!! I’d love to see the stats on how often we lose from leading at halftime. We missed out big time in the transfer window, there’s a lot of underhand stuff taking place behind the scenes which make me uneasy…..Cabaye’s comments of you will have to ask JFK what really happened, people giving pards credit for getting the lad playing well (World Cup year) but I’m certain he is not happy at the way he was treated (did he ever refuse to play?) unfortunately chaos is only round the corner, this time its called the transfer window

• pottsclock

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Southampton have spent about £70m on transfers in the past two summers for 13 players. That includes some excellent “frees” such as Jay Rodriguez and Nathanial Clyne from Palace – two young players who we should have been after. They also have one of the best acadamies in the football and bring through more youngsters than probably any other EPL team.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I agree with our toon 100%

• Himanshu Dhingra

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Jay Rodriguez 8.5 million from burnley. not a free.

• Our Toon

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Both Rodriguez and Clyne were out of contract but not free due to there age, they still cost a couple of million. Which was good business, Rodriguez is a grafter but not a goalscorer, which is what he came to the club as, his hold up play isn’t great but doesn’t need to be because he has Lambert!! Clyne on the other hand is very good, a lot of fans on here though were calling out for us to get him and we didn’t for some reason!! Luke Shaw is the stand out youngster and he’s only 18 (I think) The record signing from last year (Ramirez) can’t even get into this team

• Our Toon

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM

£8.5m a lot of money for Jay

• Rotonda heights

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Ed

2 great results but looking very solid??? How many did Krul save – was it 14 – the most ever ?

• pottsclock

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Himanshu.
    True and Clyne was £2.5 also apparently. My apologies.