Who Comes In For Debuchy Against Norwich City?

Mathieu Debuchy picked up is 5th yellow card on Saturday at Tottenham and so will be forced to miss his first game of the season, but it also  gives a chance for a defender to come into the back for the Norwich City game.

Mathieu Debuchy France

Mathieu Debuchy – misses Norwich game

Yanga-Mbiwa has been in outstanding form in the last three games, and doesn’t deserve to be left out, so we could see the Frenchman move to right back with captain Fab Coloccini returning at center-back to partner Mike Williamson.

An alternative to that would be to switch Santon to right back and bring in local lad Paul Dummett at left back.

And if Haidara is fit, he could even figure at left back with Santon again moving over to the right hand side.

But the first two formations seem to be the most likely, but we cannot see Pardew leaving his captain on the bench against Norwich – can you?

Let is know which of these two formations you would start against Norwich, and what other back four formations are possible?

What Will Newcastle's Back Four Be Against Norwich?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

And by the way that’s our 500th poll on the site.

Ian Begg is a reader who recently found out that his Mom was very ill, and he has to return to Australia. Ian has a Platinum Club season ticket that has £700 left on it, and he is willing to sell it for £650 or a best offer.

Please see if you can help Ian out, and you can contact him by email at ian_s_begg@hotmail.com – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Ben3arfa

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Mbiwa played real well at right back in the Europa last season but I dont think it would be a good idea to break up the centre backs just yet.

Give Dummett or Haidara a go at left back and switch Santon over I say

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Some things I really don’t get…

1 – why all the stress and pressure about Remy? We’ve got him on loan for a year, can’t we just enjoy his performances rather than turn it into a negative because he hasn’t signed permanently? It’s pretty obvious that with a potential rape case hanging over his head that a loan deal was the way to go.
    2 – I saw a laughable comment on an earlier page that we have a squad as good as Liverpool’s or Spurs’ and that it’s Pardew’s fault for us not pushing the top 4! That’s ridiculous! Try comparing our squad with theirs man for man and they are significantly better! That’s not to say we can’t beat them (obviously) and it’s not to say we can’t finish above them either, but they have better squads.

• Graeme

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Ed, option 2.

We know Santon is good, but he cant play both full-back role’s – thats stretching him a bit thin lol

• Ibizatoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Have we cloned Santon Ed?

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I’d be reluctant to break up the centre backs, but if Colo is raring to go, I would be ok with Colo and Willo and move MYM to the left

I don’t have a strong opinion on it though, we should be ok either way.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

TDSarf…The Remy issue is only really an issue as the fans have little to no faith that the club will be proactive and have a replacement for when or if he does leave at the end of the season.

It’s simply a case of seeing the problem coming down the road.

• Our Toon

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Ibiza

Agreed it is a modern day issue and its all mental rather then physical!! I remember when the youngsters didnt perform well in the U20’s or U21’s ENG they got slated by one of the coaches, a particular coach said the some of these per-madonnas think they have made and don’t need to perform, they are more interested in the cars they drive than playing for the national team!! Believe Ince was one of the lads in the firing line

Santon Right back and Haidara at left back for me, but very concerned with the chances being created even in Chelsea game (debuchy’s block) and Mbiwa constantly putting his body in the way

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

physioroom.com
    have only three players on injury list for the TOON and comeback dates:
    P Dummett Hamstring Injury 23rd Nov 13
    S Taylor Hamstring Injury 23rd Nov 13
    R Taylor ACL Knee Injury no return date

Does this mean that Hiadara is fit/back in training – if so bring him in for Debuchy and if need be switch Santon from left back to right back and put Hiadara in at left back

• irish_mag

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

What about keep MYM and Willo in the centre, and bringing Colo in at right back? He’s played a bit there in the past.

Also, the Norwich game is going to be my first trip to SJP for a NUFC game, so as long as we win, I don’t even mind if Shola plays right back!

• Levi

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Anita for me. i know he is best in midfield but he is a class rightback

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Ibiza

It’s that negativity that really gets me down.

Some of the fans are making out that our transfer situation is somehow unique. That Arsenal fans didn’t spend ages crying out for a striker, that Liverpool fans complained about not having wingers, that Man City appear to be light a centre back.

Fans are slating the club even when it’s undeserved. IF Remy goes then I will be disappointed and very disappointed if we don’t sign a replacement, it could wipe out the next season. But I also expect us to sign another striker in Jan, so that striker + a young and creative attacking midfielder/winger would be better than 1 Remy in my opinion. All 3 would be even better! 🙂

• LEROI

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Pardew is kind of old school in a way and he will be reluctant to mess to much with a winning back 4. he will change 1 player for another if he can, so we may even see him pick out of our zone of reasonable tolerance and go with the actual substite right back Tavernier or he may have Steven Taylor in his lug begging to be given a shot at a position he played a few years ago.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM

OurToon…It wasn’t that long ago that we were leaking goals for fun. I didn’t expect it to be a miraculous turnaround, so the fact that they’re battling as they are and coming out with clean sheets is a step in the right direction for me.

Seem to remember reading that about the England unders. I’m not sure how the problem is dealt with now. It’s all well and good getting tough on them, but will you keep them at the club as there is always another option for them.

A tough balancing act.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM

For me leave the CB’s be, for colo to come back in you have to drop yanga, yanga is colo’s replacement so needs to play so for me they should stay, I’d simply put haidara/dummett LB and switch santoon

With debuchy missing the game for me it’s key that sissoko has to retain his place and not start benny though

• south coast toon

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM

id leave it as it is willo yang together its working so dont touch,maybe bring collo on for 20 mins at end of game, as for right back , can we not just put anita in there that way santon is left were he is with minimal disturbance to the defence, like to see dumment and harida on but cant help but think its to many changes at the back…..so yes id put anita there and he would get forward well at times…. we must try to keep everyone on the field in the positions they,ve been playin in lately to keep form going

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Our toon
    I get what your saying but we were playing Chelsea and spurs, spurs have one of highest stats for chance creation this season and Chelsea are simply Chelsea, they will always find a way through
    The back four have been phenomenal lately and are throwing everything at the opposition and putting there bodies on the line

Willo made some great blocks vs spurs and some brilliant interceptions vs chelski
    Teams will always carve out chances but the pressure coming from the CB’s at the moment mean there resorting to pot shots from distance and rushed efforts if they do break through

• Mint

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I reckon Cisse could do a good job at the back. He stops us scoring every week at least.

• wynsleap

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Isn’t it amazing that we are all accepting Williamson back in the team now after all the stick he’s been given in the last season or two?
    Like Levi I’d like to see Anita at right back as I think it would be wrong to break up Willo and Yanga as they are doing so well at the moment. Colo will get back in when the time is right but not at the moment.
    Good to see we have good defensive options though with Dummett as well.
    Have to say that I am really impressed with Gouffran at present. His skill, running and tireless defensive covering were fantastic against Spurs on Sunday.
    Sissoko too seems to be getting his act together – it’s looking good.
    Just think where we’d be with an owner who cares.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

TDSarf…That is why I am so angry with Ashley. Granted there has always been some that have always been negative towards him, but for me and many others, it’s been a slow process of beating us down.

For me, there is simply no need.

I understand transfers aren’t always easy, especially when looking in the deal bin (that isn’t to say we don’t get good players, but there is usually a financial angle involved…which is fine if done right).

I for one, don’t think wanting new players is unique to our club, of course it’s not. However, those clubs you mention didn’t spend nothing last summer, nor did they leave their squads grossly exposed when entering in to European football.

I like the fact you’re positive about the January window. I don’t know how to call it tbh and thus find it hard to have any excitement. It’s not an arbitrary choice to have no faith, it’s a result of the clubs actions.

That for me is one of the saddest aspects of this whole mess. Whether intentionally or not, the club has beaten the belief out of a lot of fans.

• G

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

With Santon covering both full back positions Ed (option 2 on the vote) we will be able to play an extra midfielder and completely dominate the game from begining to end. Genius.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Norwich game will be tough as I think they will come to defend and hit us on the counter attack. Don’t think it will be pretty and the fans will have to be patient as hopefully the TOON will have to grind out a win.

West Brom will I think be a lot more open as they like to attack too!

• G

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM

The idea above about playing Anita as RB has it’s merits. I haven’t seen him play there before, but his inteligent movement suggests he could cope there, plus its always nice to see an overlapping full back link up with a Winger (Prefferably in a movement that doesn’t leave us exposed at the back for a counter attack)

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Ibiza

I get that, I really do. I’m clearly in a very similar situation to you. I too was very disappointed we didn’t strengthen after we finished 5th and it’s very disappointing being 1 (and sometimes even 2) players short in a particular position.

However, thinking about the 5th place finish a little more, I really think that we significantly overachieved then so to even maintain that position, we would have needed massive investment. From a fan’s perspective we all wanted that, but from the business’ perspective, it wasn’t in the plan so they didn’t do it.

I think what they should have done was to use the enhanced status of the club to sign some really promising youngsters. Even if we’d finished in 10th place that season with those players, it would have been fine for me as we were then building for the future.

• DokToon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM

gmorning all..

i had to vote for santon, mbiwa, willo and santon… heck of a back 3 plus one, lol…

• toonincheek

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Ibiza – spot on.
    “Tiredness is in the head”
    Not exclusively, but mental state is so important.

That’s why AVB wanted to play it down as a factor – he didn’t want it to get into players minds to expect to be tired.
    That was a mistake that AP made.

I recall in the SBR days, we had an excellent record in the weekend games following a mid-week European game.

(Re-post)

• Our Toon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I would make 2 changes, obviously Debuchy being out is a hindrance….I’d put Haidara at left back and Santon RB, take Shola out of the team and play Benny or Cisse. Benny because Norwich should not dominate us like the last 2 teams have in previous 2 games, they will defend and we will need invention to break through. Although I believe Remy is not effective being up top by himself

Cisse as a possibility because Haidara at LB and Santon at RB should mean he gets earlier crosses especially from LB rather than the player cutting back to use right foot it will be a natural left footer crossing, also Remy will benefit from either Cisse or Shola (prefer not) starting up top with him, that 2nd half the lad was so ineffective at retaining possession by being up top by himself!! We seem to have things going for us as they did when we finished 5th, dare I say we seem to have stumbled on a formation and tactics against bigger teams but the big question is how do we change things against the likes of Norwich, playing the same way won’t work!!

• Ibizatoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

TDSarf…I agree and disagree 🙂 I don’t think it would have taken massive investment at all, just some forward planning like they had done the summer before.

I think your point about it wasn’t in the plans is probably fairly accurate. It’s the inability to adapt that is so frustrating. Having a “plan” is all well and good, but there job / responsibility is to stay on top of it.

I agree on the bringing in some younger players. Truth is, if we don’t want to pay over the odds, we’re going to need to take some more risks before their prices inflate.

There just doesn’t seem to be too much care taken really, which simply leads me to think that they don’t care. Which is how we get on to the mid-table mediocrity discussion (no…not again!).

A lot can change in football, so I’ll never say never, but I really struggle to see how Ashley is still taking the club forwards. In the meantime, whilst not all, I do believe a lot of the criticism the club is facing is more than justified. We can’t claim they handle things well, especially not criticism.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM

toonincheek…Oh stop, you’re making me blush 🙂

• daztoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Ibizatoon

Did Ashley replace your fence with a Sports Direct hoarding.

• kt97toonarmy

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Did anybody hear that we signed santons brother LOL

• Ibizatoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM

daztoon… 🙂

• toonincheek

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Ibiza – Nah – you’ve just been out in the sun!

• Yohan Kebab

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Krul
    anita willo mbiwa santon
    sissoko tiote cabs gouff
    remy shola

as least change as possible for me

• Ibizatoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM

toonincheek…Quite possible, it has been delightful over here.

• kt97toonarmy

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM

This is a weird season already we get beat off awful teams like hull nd scumberland nd beating chelsea nd Tottenham without conceding a goal. With this season being so unpredictable I can see us only getting a draw off Norwich I’m afraid. But I hope I’m wrong

I’m gutted about debuchy he’s been outstanding for us last few games but I hope the team against Norwich is the following
    ———–krul——————
    Mbiwa—colo–willo—santon

——-Anita—tiote–cabaye
    Ben arfa
    ————cisse———–remy

A 4-3-1-2 formation I think it wud work for us juventus use it to great effect.

• Blofal

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Haidara. And who knows… if Santon may even play well in his correct position!

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Ibiza

Don’t forget that our squad is actually a lot stronger than it was when we finished 5th. We just managed that because key players were on top form AND barely got injured.

I think we would have a chance of top 6 with just about 3 key players mind you. But I think we will have gradual progression to avoid going into more debt.

I think we can look at things optimistically now though, certainly as far as the playing squad goes. I just think we need to have realistic expectations. 8th would be decent.

• ilovetoon8788

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Mbiwa and Williamson are the best partnership pairing as of now. No reason to disrupt the spine at the back. We should instead bring Haidara or Dummett or play Anita at left back.

• Our Toon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Not being harsh on Anita but he shouldn’t be anywhere near the full back positions, especially when we have full backs at the club that can cover. Anita at left back made a huge error in trying a drag back trick against Zabaleta in cup game….got tackled and cost us the first goal (game)!! Bottom line the lad does well filling in these positions when we have injuries but natural players for natural positions please!! We tinker enough with the starting 11, Sissoko coming out and saying he’s never played so offensively in his career, that’s his reason for inconsistency!!

• martoon

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

wynsleap @18 – It is also amazing after Pardew was hammered on here for playing Sissoko on the wing with everybody insisting he is a CM everybody’s team lineups now have him on the wing!