I Told Him He Was Fantastic

Tim Krul put in one of the best goalkeeping displays seen in the Premier League for a long time, and but for the magnificent form of the Newcastle goalkeeper, there’s just no way Newcastle would have come away with a win or even a point on Sunday.

krul

Tim Krul – his best save on Sunday
Flicking a header from Soldado header behind for a corner

Tim also made the most saves of any goalkeeper ever in the Premier League – 14 saves – although in that second half he seemed to make even more of that – and as Tim said after the game it was his best performance fever or Newcastle.

And acting captain Cheick Tiote didn’t mince any words at the end of the game either, and  he went up to Tim and he told him he was fantastic – yes – that’s close to the mark.

This is what Check told the local press today:

“I think that’s the best I’ve seen Tim play since I came,” “He was fantastic and the best player on the pitch by far.”

“I hope he can continue to play like that because we will win many more matches. We also defended well as a team.” “When you play against a top team you need to be compact and that’s what we did.”

“I think at the moment we look very strong on the pitch and we look compact. It is not easy to come and win at Spurs. It was difficult but if we stay as a team and have that togetherness we can win.

“I told him he was fantastic. There’s nothing you can say apart from thank you because he was the best player on the pitch and I think he will continue to play like that.”

“For me he is one of the best in the Premier League. He is a top, top goalkeeper and we are lucky to have him in our team.”

It’s almost unbelievable that after drawing at home to Liverpool and losing at Sunderland, in the first two games of what Alan Pardew said would be a vital four games for the side – the lads ended up beating both Chelsea and Tottenham.

So 7 points from those four games was good, but losing to Sunderland was terrible.

Now we need to keep the winnings streak going ,and try to extend that run to three against Chris Hughton’s Norwich City a week on Saturday at St. James’ Park.

Maybe we can even equal the six game winning streak we accomplished last year,  in the season before last, that ended with that 4-0 defeat at Wigan.

If we can do that – win six successive game that is – then the spirits of Newcastle fans will be soaring again. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

Ian Begg is a reader who recently found out that his Mom was very ill, and he has to return to Australia. Ian has a Platinum Club season ticket that has £700 left on it, and he is willing to sell it for £550 or a best offer.

Please see if you can help Ian out, and you can contact him by email at ian_s_begg@hotmail.com – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Lilongwe

I don’t get that stat at all. So that doesn’t include all the games that Sammy and Fergie played last year? Presumably they haven’t featured for our academy in the last 3 years. There has to be a lead time to transition.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Croftus,
    As I said earlier, I think the academy is okay, no real problems with it, it is what happens from 16/17 onwards which is where I say we fail.

These kids sit in our ‘development squad’ and U18?s being coached by a poor standard of coach. I agree, they shouldn’t, unless they are a one in a million type, be ready at 18/19. But this is why we should be working hard to get them game time elsewhere. The coaching at NUFC isn’t good enough to make up for the lack of game time.

For me, Ferg, Tav and Sammi will probably miss the boat. The 3 of them could easily be playing league 1 or lower in a couple of years because the club failed to give them opportunities elsewhere, or have a proper development strategy.

• DokToon

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

mr tuff,

i accept your challenge of fisticuffs at dawn, i feel certain i can both handle you and your butler, whilst drinking ciaran under a table, and also reviewing any bikini clad girls ibiza will bring to watch me thrash you soundly…

i demand satisfaction!! 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Ibiza

Stats can misrepresent of course. There were days when overly optimistic fans would be claiming that Dummett should play for England because he’s the best after Cole and Baines, that Armstrong will be the next Rooney, Sammy can be our Kanu and Campbell will break through like Owen did at Liverpool.

All rot of course.

I never believed those things just as I don’t believe the negative garbage that is being spread now.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

TDS,
    The article was based on this season, as was that stat. Premier league minutes, 254 out of a possible 10,890. Hardly a resounding success for the current academy set up. Equally relevant, rather than just academy appearances it is a similar timescale since the current development coaching set up was introduced.

• Ciaran

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM

He’s so level headed, always takes the middle ground?

Blames fans following Keegan was forced out of the club.
    Defends decision to rename stadium.
    Defends Ashley’s lack of investment.
    Slated fans who took action against Ashley.
    Defends Ashley’s decision to ban newspapers.

Sound like someone who takes the middle ground, or someone with an agenda?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM

That’s me done folks. Keep well, catch you later in the week.

• Yohan Kebab

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM

even through the bad patches krul was always my favourite player, a true adopted geordie with a cracking accent

would love to see him become a world class keeper

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Lilongwe

Gotcha. But I don’t see it as a huge negative that kids aren’t getting many minutes for the club, after all we’re talking about players who have been playing for the academy within the last 3 years so presumably we’re talking 21 and under? This isn’t common for the PL when we bring in top players from all over the globe. I bet the likes of City and Chelsea are close to zero, while Man U have probably only got Januziy (however you spell it). How many Saints players have played in the academy in the last 3 years?

Look on transfermarkt and we also have one of the youngest squads in the PL.

• Ciaran

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I understand there is what you are saying which flies in the face of my attempt to defend Ashley BUT….blah blah blah

Yawn.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Ciaran

What you fail to grasp is that there is always more than one side to an argument. I have had very interesting discussions with people who don’t share my views and we have appreciated each other’s points and learned things. However, you have flipped from one side to the other and fail to have a balanced view.

You will never win your arguments unless you grasp both sides. Your latest post about my previous comments and consistent use of the word “agenda” is both pathetic and inflammatory, and you know it.

I want to see change at the club and that will never happen with random rantings, we simply need to understand why things happen so we can try to get them done better. Simply insulting Ashley for a decision is counterproductive, it helps to understand why and then address the underlying problem.

It’s a bit like the people voting BNP or UKIP because they are fed up with the major political parties when what they should be doing is getting involved in grass roots politics. It’s easy to rant and rave, but changes are made by people who truly understand how things are.

That means understanding the fans, the club history, the modern game and the owner or the club.

• DokToon

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

ciaran,

need a red bull? its help those ywans and we need you at your cracking best lad 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Owner OF the club.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

dok toon – you are clearly devoid of knowledge of the Gentlemans Rules. These must be understood or I could be subject to criticism at my Gentlemans’ Club in the Strand. You are not there to engage in the noble art with my butler, who will be my second -to assist me in such matters as supplying me with a liquid refreshment during the bout. You need to chose an able fellow to assist you – clearly he will be busier than Hargreaves my butler. I have instructed that all we need in our corner is a hip flask containing a suitable beverage. Your second will need to bring a drinking vessel, clearly lots of wound dressings and without doubt some smelling salts -useful to bring you round when dazed after I knock your block off.
    My plan is simple, follow the Marquis of Queensbury Rules, I will start with a couple of jabs to soften you up -then a couple of straight shots into your diaphragm -this will expel all your windbag air. I’ll follow up with a couple of left and right hooks upstairs -this will have the effect of tightening up your slack jaw. The referee will then step in to save you from further punishment. I’ll will then be able to nip back to my hotel to finish luncheon.
    I hope you will be able to take your thrashing like a man and not start screaming and wailing about being beaten up by a fellow blogger. I expect someone from the Colonies to be made of sterner stuff.

• Ciaran

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Dok

I’m always at my cracking best. I find it humorous that he tries to portray me as the inflammatory one on the blog.

1st I’m a Man U supporter, now I’m a BNP/UKIP voter. He doesn’t have a high opinion of me, luckily the feeling is mutual.

• Yohan Kebab

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

whats wrong with UKIP?

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Dok
    I don’t normally do this, but that rapscallion El Tufferino needs sorting out pronto
    For one fight only i am willing to offer you my spare Butler

He’s possibly not as well equipped as Mister “tornado” Tuff’s butler “Hurricane” Hargreaves but he has a pack of plasters, a couple of tins of Irn Bru and some pork scratchings

• Ciaran

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Kebab

I don’t follow UK politics closely. Some associate far right connotations with UKIP though, or a tendency to follow 1 policy to the extreme and not entertain alternatives. Perhaps that is what he was referring to.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Not sure what to say on this thread or comments.

Dok & Tuff…Can I be the referee? Perhaps we could alter it slightly so I’m more like an umpire in tennis….I have this fence going to waste otherwise.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Yohan

I don’t want to get into a political debate on here, it’s not the right forum. Suffice to say that
    I think there are better ways to address some of the club’s (and country’s) issues than just pointing fingers and complaining.

Sadly, sorting the issues out at our club relies on a certain person actually listening, but I think that should be the focus.

How about an alternative march demanding that Mike Ashley hears the voice of the fans?

• Ciaran

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM

There are those who do and those who criticise. He firmly belongs in the latter.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM

TDSarf…A while ago, I would have thought that a good first step.

Do you not think though that Ashley has made it absolutely clear that he doesn’t give a rats what the fans think?

He doesn’t want to hear any other view. Surely that should be a bigger issue than you thinking that of Ciaran?

• DokToon

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM

missus tuff 🙂

i am unaware of gentlemens rules, as i am portrayed as a heathen from a colony who had won independence from yours… therefore, my good man, a second revolution is called for, to free us of the tyranny and oppression you seek to establish on this blog.. the line is drawn in the sand, come and take it!

i have no need for a second, or a butler, however, i will have reporters, who arent allowed in st james park and have loads of free time, to be there and take your apology and retraction statement that will indeed proclaim me to be your better.

and tads, i thank you for your offer, perhaps i will avail myself of him, should a more intense fight be needed in the future, but for this donnybrook, i choose to go solo, as it poses no challenge whatsoever.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Ibiza

If he doesn’t care, what’s the point in protesting at all??

People should have protested when Wonga was appointed, like Bolton did, people should protest to demand our voice is heard. Instead a few hundred protested to demand a man ditches his £250M asset and accusing 3 key personnel of being liars.

• Ciaran

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Ed should do an article about Dok and Tuff’s transatlantic bout. Couldn’t be any worse than the recent ‘articles’. I jest.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Ibiza
    On topic yeah there’s not much to say other than hopefully every player told him that!
    I’m sure Timmy didn’t have to have to get his wallet out at the bar that night!
    Might of been a bit of a problem if Tiote was the dedicated driver though!

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Ciaran
    Interesting idea
    “Clash of the Titan………… No wait, clash of the age……………No no clash of…………….hmmm………Two geezers and a butler have a rumble in a car park”

• Mister Tuff

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Ciaran – what do you mean “any worse than the recent articles”
    You are observing quality blogging of the highest standard. Interlaced with quality humour – although dok toon -will probably not think it’s amusing after I teach him a lesson -by administering to him “a damn good thrashing “.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM

TDSarf…To try and bring change. I’m sorry, I just can’t understand the thinking behind that statement. Should we just sit and wait and say how wonderful things are? No. Should we just sit and whinge on a blog? No.

There isn’t much left to do but to take action.

I think the first protest went fairly well. It was peaceful which was my main worry. I do believe, that when the next march comes around the numbers will improve.

From what I understand, although the information is limited, they are planning more than marching. A plan is being put together to try and resolve the issue. This will be backed up with marches.

When you say “accusing 3 key personnel of being liars”, are you implying that they haven’t lied?

At best, we can say they simply avoid the questions they don’t want to answer. That isn’t right.

The situation is getting worse, not better. The club have kicked out the local press and the only true fans rep from the “fans” forum. Something is fundamentally wrong.

If they have bigger and better plans, explain them, honestly. I don’t think they can.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Ibiza

What happened to the fans rep on the forum? I thought there were about half a dozen of them with different backgrounds?

• Mister Tuff

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ibiza -my good man – you can indeed be referee -I’ve noticed of recent times you have been able to decision make. Your referee’s duties will be simplified as all you will require is the ability to count to ten – and declare my victory by knock out.

• DokToon

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM

mrs tuff,

nothing funny about the repairs and hospital bill you will incur when i am finished with the small job you will be… can you even fight bareknuckle for 115 rounds still at your advanced age?

dear fellow bloggers, if anyone has any extra money, invest in plaster of paris, and baby food, as mr tuff will need plenty of both, and if everyone profits well enow, feel free to buy NUFC for ciaran and let him run it…

that is all.

• DokToon

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

(( i must say, you can tell its international week by the quality blogging today pmsl))

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

TDSarf…I may have the wrong information there. Internet in office is temporarily down, but will look in to it… Hate using my phone for Internet…bloody fat fingers and auto-correct.

An example, my phone wanted me to call you “tested” 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Tuff…Oh, I hadn’t realised counting would be an issue. Am I allowed to use my fingers?

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Ibiza

I nearly call some people all sorts of things! Often it’s my phone, sometimes it’s just the devil on my shoulder!

Off now anyway, meetings galore…

• catchy in norway

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

TDS

please go and hide under a rock ,

if you had not noticed , our club is being tan by loonies , it’s plonkers like you who would wake up when we end up in the 2nd div , and say how did we get here

your either really stupid or totally blind
    our whole set needs a good shake up, from the very top , greedy boy at the top , clueless clones under him pardew JFK, and Pardews clone footmen ( coaches ) , all NEED to go so we can push on

• John Tudor

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

i always liked the tan but currently leaning to ox blood