Newcastle Manager Spoiled For Choice For Norwich Game

It’s a good example of the increased competition for places at Newcastle this season, that Davide Santon has three players who can play at eft back and challenge him for the starting position – Paul Dummett, Massadio Haidara and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, and we shouldn’t forget Vurnon Anita, who played a full season at left back for Ajax a few years ago.

davide santon eriksen

Davide Santon challenges Eriksen on Sunday

With Mathieu Debuchy missing the next game against Norwich because of picking up his fifth yellow card at Tottenham, Alan Pardew will have to decide what back four he plays a week on Saturday against Norwich.

We think he will bring back Colo back into the middle and switch Yanga-Mbiwa to right back, but there are many other things he could do.

With a back four player not being available and Colo now fit and ready, we cannot believe the manager will leave his captain on the bench, but with Williamson and Yanga-Mbiwa playing so very well recently, he may not want to disturb that partnership.

Davide Santon can always switch over to right back, and he has talked about that in the local papers today:

“I can play right-back.” “I prefer left-back but I know I have to improve my left foot. When I play left-back I can go left to right.”

“When I play right-back and try to go inside it is a little bit more difficult but I enjoy both.” “If the manager needs me to play right-back I am here to play where he wants me.”

It’s going to be interesting as to what choice Alan makes,  because he also has three defenders – Paul Dummett, Massadio Haidara and Steven Taylor – who are all likely to have recovered from their hamstring injuries and be available for selection for the home game against Norwich.

In our poll between the two most obvious choices, most readers seem to favor playing Yanga-Mbiwa at right back and bringing back Colo.

What Will Newcastle's Back Four Be Against Norwich?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

The Newcastle squad is suddenly looking very strong these days, but we have to be field a top side against Norwich and try to get our third Premier League win on the trot – that’s the next immediate challenge for this improving Newcastle team.

Ian Begg is a reader who recently found out that his Mom was very ill, and he has to return to Australia. Ian has a Platinum Club season ticket that has £700 left on it, and he is willing to sell it for £550 or a best offer.

Please see if you can help Ian out, and you can contact him by email at ian_s_begg@hotmail.com – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Transfer Sage

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM

i’d probably move santon to the right back role and have dummet/haidara play the left side.

Think colo will come in though and mbiwa play right back.

I’d rather keep the centre back pairing the same though as thats one are you can rely on mistakes

• Ibizatoon

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Even Santon doesn’t know which side FB he is!

Ed…Are you still pushing this whole “Santon can play LB and RB simultaneously” issue? I think you may well be left disappointed 🙂

• Ciaran

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Spoilt for choice because Santon can play equally badly at both LB and RB? Oh goody gumdrops.

TDS

I enjoyed both of the wins against Chelsea and Spurs, but what is it for? What is the point? Even if we had an amazing season and qualified for European football again, MA will leave us undercooked again and we will be spread thin either sacrificing the EL or PL.

That is not ambition. When the powers that be are more content with NOT qualifying for European competitions there is clearly no plan to progress.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

17toonarmydownsouth // Nov 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM

askar
    Lol I’m sorry mate benny was far from OM or OL’s best blayer, he rarely started and was used as a sub mainly
    You also say pardew is playing him out if position, he’s played a huge majority of matches on the wing and has rarely at any club been trusted to play as a #10/ SS role

As lilo correctly pointed out, he’s never been prolific at any stage of his career with neither goals nor assists
    As for the reasons he was dropped at his other clubs, you say we know the reasons why, yes we do, they been stated by previous managers time and time again, he lacks maturity and work rate and needs to address these issues if he is ever going to step up

28toonarmydownsouth // Nov 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Sage
    Have to admit I’m not looking forward to the jan window!
    Hate to go back to the JFK/Shane ferguson story, but at the time i wasn’t overly fussed about the fact he was aparantley oblivious to the fact he was our player, but the fact the why the hell is Shane Ferguson the calibre of player we were scouting!

• martoon

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Ed – the results of your poll are NOT valid because your second option has two Santon’s so obviously the other option will win as it is the only viable one.

• LEROI

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I can’t remember santon being that bad in the spurs game?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Personally I’d prefer to see as little disruption as possible to a back line that has kept 2 clean sheets, albeit with a little bit of luck. Anita has played right back before, and deserves game time for his displays off the bench. Yes it is a different position, but slotting him in there means we only mess around with 20% of our back 5, rater than 60%.

• toon4me