This Could Be A Banana Skin For Newcastle

Most of the lads will be training over the next week and getting ready for the next test for Newcastle, which is a home game against  Norwich City, and since that’s a game we should win – it could be a banana skin.

chris hughton norwich

Chris Hughton – coming back to Newcastle on November 23rd

With the last two great results, St. James’ Park should be packed full a week on Saturday, and of course it’s important a sold-out crowd can roar on the lads to victory, and that’s exactly what happened against Chelsea.

Cheick Tiote is suspended from the second leg of the Ivory  Coast World Cup play-off tie against Senegal,and he’s stayed behind in Newcastle, and the vice-captain seems glad of the rest:

“I think it’s important to have a little break because we don’t want to think now everything is easy,”   “It’s important to have a one-week break and then when we come back we can focus again.”

“We need to keep the momentum we have built in the last couple of weeks.” “We just need to carry on doing the same things. Not many teams can come to White Hart Lane and win.”

“It shows the result against Chelsea wasn’t a one-off and if we continue to do the same thing every week we will have a chance to win.” I cannot say we are going to finish fourth and fifth.”

“It’s too early. We just have to try to do everything we did in the last two games and we will have a chance of winning more games.”

The Norwich game is very like when we played Hull City, because in the previous four games before Hull, we had drawn with West Ham,  and then won three in a row against Fulham, Morecambe and Aston Villa, and we should be able to beat Hull City – yeah sure.

But we didn’t, and the amazing thing happened and we managed to give three poor goals away and lost the game 3-2, and in 11 games Hull have scored only 9 goals – and three of those came against Newcastle away. 🙁

So this is why we think games like Norwich are the acid test for this Newcastle side, because the lads can always get up for a Chelsea or a Tottenham – but how about a Norwich City?

It’s an area Newcastle have to get much better at – and become more consistent at – and beating Norwich will be a step towards that much sought after consistency.

What do you think?

Ian Begg is a reader who recently found out that his Mom was very ill, and he has to return to Australia. Ian has a Platinum Club season ticket that has £700 left on it, and he is willing to sell it for £550 or a best offer.

Please see if you can help Ian out, and you can contact him by email at ian_s_begg@hotmail.com – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Toon Tang

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM

it probably will be, this is where we seem to struggle. A so called ‘easier’ game after 2 good games.

• JackButler

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Draw with Liverpool, beat Chelsea and Spurs then lose to Norwich………………….sound like something NUFC would do 😉

• Toon Tang

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

true dat

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

A game to take the points from. Three wins on the trot. I feel a fantastic aura building. Beautiful.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

As long as no one goes into the game thinking a win is a given, we should be okay
    But the work rate must remain, a lot seem to of bookmarked this game as a chance to start changing the squad round, don’t understand the logic in changing a team that’s starting to find a rhythm and work together tbh

• wolfshead@toon

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM

tads

what are the odds cisse starts (

• JackButler

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM

tads

Thats the real worry for me as the the work was there for Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Spurs as we knew we would be up against it in those game’s. If we go into the Norwich game thinking it’s gonna be easier we’ll be turned over

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Could we possibly sneak Benny into the lineup and see what he can do tads? He must be chomping at the bit by now. And by the way Keith Lemon should have sucked Nicole Scherzinger’s toes, not her foot. A poor manly display there.

• JaxtheMag

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I would let benny loose on Norwich,he will be chomping at the bit.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM

A lot of this depends on what Pardew,s tactics are, and also the mentality of the team on the Pitch on the day ?

Some of the first team are on International duty this week-end, here,s hoping none of them come back crocked, ( a la Collo style ? ).

It would not be a surprise to me, if after wins against so called top four teams we get trounced at home to Norwich at home.
    It will also be strange to see Chris Hughton back at St James as a manager of an opposing team, hope he gets a good reception, but i think he will !

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Perhaps Norwich will be over-confident after their win? Hughton will probably see to that properly. And they will have had a lot of time to prepare for us. I see he was at the Spur’s game. I wonder what he makes of Remy and how he plans to stop him?

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM

JB
    We’ve seen with hull and the Mackems what happens when we take points for granted!
    The lads need to stay focused and keep working as a unit

G2
    Hmm not for me, Maybe a sub appearance but don’t think he’s done nout to justify dropping anyone
    Personally there’s a lot about benny that screams that he doesn’t seem himself as one of the team
    I don’t like the kid gloves treatment he gets, the boy p*sses off back to the clairfontaine every time he picks up a knock, he doesn’t give enough on the pitch and doesn’t keep himself in shape
    I know what he can do on the pitch, it’s what he can’t do that makes him a liability, even more so with debuchy missing the game

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Many of you have asked me if the lasses just consider we manly men as just lovely beefy tidbits? The answer of course is yes.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Wolfshead
    Jeeez hadn’t even thought of that!

• JackButler

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Why would we drop anyone from the starting 11 when we have had some very good displays of late just to fit HBA into the side???

What we have now is 11 player who have all earned the right to keep their starting place and not one of them deserves to be dropped especially for a player who turns up for one game in every twelve

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Good point about Debuchy missing the game tads mate. That might pose a problem, and I agree that Benny has been very disappointing in his last few outings. But such a waste to just sit him if he can be convinced to play a team game. I’ve seen him do it at times. Some lovely distribution of the ball instead of just running straight at the opposition trying to beat all of them by himself. A strong manager would have had him under control by now.

• scout

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I hope the attitude in here doesn’t filter to the dressing room Jesus well get beat 5 nil if it does. Lighten up people

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Geordie Two
    Possibly, but he’s flopped under bigger managers than pardew!

I suggested earlier that Obertan had moved infront of Benny after relieving some glowing reports after playing a few games for the U21’s to get him back to match fitness
    Now I’m not saying obertan deserves to be in the team in front of

HBA! But what I am saying is work rate and effort is clearly highly valued at NUFC, the lad to me seems struggling with his fitness ( moobs aren’t a manly man look 😉 ) so why not give him a couple of full games at U21 whilst still giving him 20-30 mins from the bench til his sharpness comes back and perhaps gets the message that you have to work as a unit? Same with cisse and Marv

• scout

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Take points for granted against Sunderland, we didn’t even show up

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Ibiza, jesper, Mr. Tuff, tads, how do you feel about being lovely beefy tidbits? It’s exciting isn’t it?

• spitfire_

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Couple of good results doesn’t change the mentality of the team or manager. In the next two games we will see is there some improvement in the squad harmony or mentality etc or it’s the same like the previous seasons.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Scout I’m sensing a fantastic aura building as I say @4. That shows how positive we are. And as for Benny’s moobs tads, I think you are right he looks to have put on a few pounds. I can have him on a Manly Workout Program in no time at all. Only 7 euros Pards.

• blacknwhite yorkshireman

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Alright lads, long time reader of the blog, never commented but felt compelled to get involved! Been noticing recently that a lot of people seem to be jumping on the “Ben Arfa doesn’t work hard enough for the team” bandwagon. Whilst this is a part of his game that needs improving I think he is often an easy target (hauled off against Everton when the majority of the goals were down to defensive errors) when looking to portion blame. Imo he should be in the team every week either on the right hand side of a 4-3-3 or just off Remy in a 4-4-2 because I don’t think Shola or Cisse offer a great deal more defensively (as was proved against Spurs with Krul having to play the game of his life) and HBA undoubtedly offers more going forward even if he is at times frustrating. I still think Shola is a good “plan B” and hopefully Cisse will find his golden touch again but for me HBA has to play. I think the much more relevant selection headache atm is how to get Anita involved as he is looking a class act.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM

G2
    As for being a beefy tidbit I was blessed with a natural and bountiful love rug and have been reaping the rewards ever since 😉

• GeordieTwo

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

You have been truly blessed tads. Now however we should work on your Manly Strut. If you have been going off that referee video link it could lead to serious problems developing. Those moves are not sanctioned by the Manly Men’s Club. Just so you know mate.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Blacknwhite Yorkshireman
    It’s not just defensively mate, even offensively his game is off
    He’s far too greedy, try’s the spectacular rather than the simple ball all to often
    His career stats for goals and assists his actually unbelievably average and yeah his team ethic is non exsitent!

Shola isn’t being played solely for defensive reasons, we’ve set up to counter attack, people want to see HBA in behind remy, can HBA win the ball and hold it up like shola? Not for me

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

G2
    You could be right there, my wife works for a airline and since starting my referee strut I’ve become increasingly popular with certain colleagues of hers……tell me more about the payment programme!

• low fell mag

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Don’t read too much into the Sunderland game .
    If our manager could play that game again tomorrow, I know he would start with the same team that he did against Chelsea @ Spurs .
    There was no need what so ever to play with only 3 in midfield and no centre forward ( absolute suicide ).
    thankfully we have a very strong team in defence and a very strong team in attack with the 442 formation we are now playing.
    T his current side including Shola @ Williamson is looking a hard side to beat and will take care of Norwich ,no bother.
    Apart from Debuchy ,pick the same team and lets shoot down the Canaries.

• Toon Tang

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I think we should all predict a defeat, then we will win. simple as that

• low fell mag

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Geordie 2 , I think a visit to Rockshots will sort you out with your manly issues.
    Could we please talk football ,not men.

• swemag

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

The fact that we lost to Hull will help us against Norwich. Don’t think the players want that same feeling again of a missed opportunity.
    HBA will come on at some stage during this game, and he will grow like he did two years ago. He has a point to prove.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Just tell our lads they are playing Arsenal, their away strip is yellow after all 🙂 .

It has to be a mental problem with some of the players as being able to take 7 points from Liverpool, Chelsea & Spurs but lose at home to hull is puzzling to say the least.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM

What would your best team be under the Ashley Era ? .

Mine would be :

—————————-Krul——————————

–Debuchy——–Collo——–M’biwa——–Enrique–

——–Sissoko———–Tiote————Cabaye———

———HBA————-Remy————–Ba————

Wonder how that team would do in the PL ? . Shame we could not keep hold of them .

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Very much off topic but does anybody know how to get these pop ups off an android phone, it used to be just candy crush but now it’s something different every time I open my Internet.

• scout

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Why slag Benny off? If we lose the next 2 everyone will be harping on about him being back in the side. As for overweight? He’s just been on the weights.

• scout

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I have some really strange stuff pops up like log cabins etc

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Scout,
    I’m constantly getting mobo ap, jelly crush and three lasses in my area want to chat is there not some type of pop up blocker.

• Yohan Kebab

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

i dont usually post links to other websites

however this is a very interesting article on papiss cisse from an sc freiburg point of view, and a further example of team play over individuals

• scout

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM

JFA
    That did make me laugh, I got one saying single Muslim website or something. I’m not sure about a blocker surely it can be done though

• blacknwhite yorkshireman

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Toonarmydownsouth – Fair enough against Hull and Sunderland he did drop below the standard that we expect and that he set against Fulham and Villa, but I think plenty more of our players have had just as many if not more ‘off days’ than HBA without being made a scapegoat. In a way I think he’s become a victim of his perceived ability. Regarding Shola, I think he’s done ok in the last two games, but I still don’t see much of a threat, neither do I see him shaping the game, none of our goals and very few of our chances actually come through him, they mainly come through playing good quick football which I think HBA could improve further.