The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Could Be A Banana Skin For Newcastle

6:48 pm, Wednesday, November 13th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 68 Comments

Most of the lads will be training over the next week and getting ready for the next test for Newcastle, which is a home game against  Norwich City, and since that’s a game we should win – it could be a banana skin.

chris hughton norwich

Chris Hughton – coming back to Newcastle on November 23rd

With the last two great results, St. James’ Park should be packed full a week on Saturday, and of course it’s important a sold-out crowd can roar on the lads to victory, and that’s exactly what happened against Chelsea.

Cheick Tiote is suspended from the second leg of the Ivory  Coast World Cup play-off tie against Senegal,and he’s stayed behind in Newcastle, and the vice-captain seems glad of the rest:

“I think it’s important to have a little break because we don’t want to think now everything is easy,”   “It’s important to have a one-week break and then when we come back we can focus again.”

“We need to keep the momentum we have built in the last couple of weeks.” “We just need to carry on doing the same things. Not many teams can come to White Hart Lane and win.”

“It shows the result against Chelsea wasn’t a one-off and if we continue to do the same thing every week we will have a chance to win.” I cannot say we are going to finish fourth and fifth.”

“It’s too early. We just have to try to do everything we did in the last two games and we will have a chance of winning more games.”

The Norwich game is very like when we played Hull City, because in the previous four games before Hull, we had drawn with West Ham,  and then won three in a row against Fulham, Morecambe and Aston Villa, and we should be able to beat Hull City – yeah sure.

But we didn’t, and the amazing thing happened and we managed to give three poor goals away and lost the game 3-2, and in 11 games Hull have scored only 9 goals – and three of those came against Newcastle away. :(

So this is why we think games like Norwich are the acid test for this Newcastle side, because the lads can always get up for a Chelsea or a Tottenham – but how about a Norwich City?

It’s an area Newcastle have to get much better at – and become more consistent at – and beating Norwich will be a step towards that much sought after consistency.

What do you think?

Ian Begg is a reader who recently found out that his Mom was very ill, and he has to return to Australia. Ian has a Platinum Club season ticket that has £700 left on it, and he is willing to sell it for £550 or a best offer.

Please see if you can help Ian out, and you can contact him by email at ian_s_begg@hotmail.com – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Newcastle News · Premier League

68 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon Tang // Nov 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM

it probably will be, this is where we seem to struggle. A so called ‘easier’ game after 2 good games.

• 2 JackButler // Nov 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Draw with Liverpool, beat Chelsea and Spurs then lose to Norwich………………….sound like something NUFC would do ;)

• 3 Toon Tang // Nov 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

true dat

• 4 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

A game to take the points from. Three wins on the trot. I feel a fantastic aura building. Beautiful.

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

As long as no one goes into the game thinking a win is a given, we should be okay
    But the work rate must remain, a lot seem to of bookmarked this game as a chance to start changing the squad round, don’t understand the logic in changing a team that’s starting to find a rhythm and work together tbh

• 6 wolfshead@toon // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM

tads

what are the odds cisse starts (

• 7 JackButler // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM

tads

Thats the real worry for me as the the work was there for Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Spurs as we knew we would be up against it in those game’s. If we go into the Norwich game thinking it’s gonna be easier we’ll be turned over

• 8 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Could we possibly sneak Benny into the lineup and see what he can do tads? He must be chomping at the bit by now. And by the way Keith Lemon should have sucked Nicole Scherzinger’s toes, not her foot. A poor manly display there.

• 9 JaxtheMag // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I would let benny loose on Norwich,he will be chomping at the bit.

• 10 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM

A lot of this depends on what Pardew,s tactics are, and also the mentality of the team on the Pitch on the day ?

Some of the first team are on International duty this week-end, here,s hoping none of them come back crocked, ( a la Collo style ? ).

It would not be a surprise to me, if after wins against so called top four teams we get trounced at home to Norwich at home.
    It will also be strange to see Chris Hughton back at St James as a manager of an opposing team, hope he gets a good reception, but i think he will !

• 11 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Perhaps Norwich will be over-confident after their win? Hughton will probably see to that properly. And they will have had a lot of time to prepare for us. I see he was at the Spur’s game. I wonder what he makes of Remy and how he plans to stop him?

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM

JB
    We’ve seen with hull and the Mackems what happens when we take points for granted!
    The lads need to stay focused and keep working as a unit

G2
    Hmm not for me, Maybe a sub appearance but don’t think he’s done nout to justify dropping anyone
    Personally there’s a lot about benny that screams that he doesn’t seem himself as one of the team
    I don’t like the kid gloves treatment he gets, the boy p*sses off back to the clairfontaine every time he picks up a knock, he doesn’t give enough on the pitch and doesn’t keep himself in shape
    I know what he can do on the pitch, it’s what he can’t do that makes him a liability, even more so with debuchy missing the game

• 13 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Many of you have asked me if the lasses just consider we manly men as just lovely beefy tidbits? The answer of course is yes.

• 14 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Wolfshead
    Jeeez hadn’t even thought of that!

• 15 JackButler // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Why would we drop anyone from the starting 11 when we have had some very good displays of late just to fit HBA into the side???

What we have now is 11 player who have all earned the right to keep their starting place and not one of them deserves to be dropped especially for a player who turns up for one game in every twelve

• 16 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Good point about Debuchy missing the game tads mate. That might pose a problem, and I agree that Benny has been very disappointing in his last few outings. But such a waste to just sit him if he can be convinced to play a team game. I’ve seen him do it at times. Some lovely distribution of the ball instead of just running straight at the opposition trying to beat all of them by himself. A strong manager would have had him under control by now.

• 17 scout // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I hope the attitude in here doesn’t filter to the dressing room Jesus well get beat 5 nil if it does. Lighten up people

• 18 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Geordie Two
    Possibly, but he’s flopped under bigger managers than pardew!

I suggested earlier that Obertan had moved infront of Benny after relieving some glowing reports after playing a few games for the U21′s to get him back to match fitness
    Now I’m not saying obertan deserves to be in the team in front of

HBA! But what I am saying is work rate and effort is clearly highly valued at NUFC, the lad to me seems struggling with his fitness ( moobs aren’t a manly man look ;) ) so why not give him a couple of full games at U21 whilst still giving him 20-30 mins from the bench til his sharpness comes back and perhaps gets the message that you have to work as a unit? Same with cisse and Marv

• 19 scout // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Take points for granted against Sunderland, we didn’t even show up

• 20 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Ibiza, jesper, Mr. Tuff, tads, how do you feel about being lovely beefy tidbits? It’s exciting isn’t it?

• 21 spitfire_ // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Couple of good results doesn’t change the mentality of the team or manager. In the next two games we will see is there some improvement in the squad harmony or mentality etc or it’s the same like the previous seasons.

• 22 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Scout I’m sensing a fantastic aura building as I say @4. That shows how positive we are. And as for Benny’s moobs tads, I think you are right he looks to have put on a few pounds. I can have him on a Manly Workout Program in no time at all. Only 7 euros Pards.

• 23 blacknwhite yorkshireman // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Alright lads, long time reader of the blog, never commented but felt compelled to get involved! Been noticing recently that a lot of people seem to be jumping on the “Ben Arfa doesn’t work hard enough for the team” bandwagon. Whilst this is a part of his game that needs improving I think he is often an easy target (hauled off against Everton when the majority of the goals were down to defensive errors) when looking to portion blame. Imo he should be in the team every week either on the right hand side of a 4-3-3 or just off Remy in a 4-4-2 because I don’t think Shola or Cisse offer a great deal more defensively (as was proved against Spurs with Krul having to play the game of his life) and HBA undoubtedly offers more going forward even if he is at times frustrating. I still think Shola is a good “plan B” and hopefully Cisse will find his golden touch again but for me HBA has to play. I think the much more relevant selection headache atm is how to get Anita involved as he is looking a class act.

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM

G2
    As for being a beefy tidbit I was blessed with a natural and bountiful love rug and have been reaping the rewards ever since ;)

• 25 GeordieTwo // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

You have been truly blessed tads. Now however we should work on your Manly Strut. If you have been going off that referee video link it could lead to serious problems developing. Those moves are not sanctioned by the Manly Men’s Club. Just so you know mate.

• 26 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Blacknwhite Yorkshireman
    It’s not just defensively mate, even offensively his game is off
    He’s far too greedy, try’s the spectacular rather than the simple ball all to often
    His career stats for goals and assists his actually unbelievably average and yeah his team ethic is non exsitent!

Shola isn’t being played solely for defensive reasons, we’ve set up to counter attack, people want to see HBA in behind remy, can HBA win the ball and hold it up like shola? Not for me

• 27 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

G2
    You could be right there, my wife works for a airline and since starting my referee strut I’ve become increasingly popular with certain colleagues of hers……tell me more about the payment programme!

• 28 low fell mag // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Don’t read too much into the Sunderland game .
    If our manager could play that game again tomorrow, I know he would start with the same team that he did against Chelsea @ Spurs .
    There was no need what so ever to play with only 3 in midfield and no centre forward ( absolute suicide ).
    thankfully we have a very strong team in defence and a very strong team in attack with the 442 formation we are now playing.
    T his current side including Shola @ Williamson is looking a hard side to beat and will take care of Norwich ,no bother.
    Apart from Debuchy ,pick the same team and lets shoot down the Canaries.

• 29 Toon Tang // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I think we should all predict a defeat, then we will win. simple as that

• 30 low fell mag // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Geordie 2 , I think a visit to Rockshots will sort you out with your manly issues.
    Could we please talk football ,not men.

• 31 swemag // Nov 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

The fact that we lost to Hull will help us against Norwich. Don’t think the players want that same feeling again of a missed opportunity.
    HBA will come on at some stage during this game, and he will grow like he did two years ago. He has a point to prove.

• 32 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Just tell our lads they are playing Arsenal, their away strip is yellow after all :) .

It has to be a mental problem with some of the players as being able to take 7 points from Liverpool, Chelsea & Spurs but lose at home to hull is puzzling to say the least.

• 33 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM

What would your best team be under the Ashley Era ? .

Mine would be :

—————————-Krul——————————

–Debuchy——–Collo——–M’biwa——–Enrique–

——–Sissoko———–Tiote————Cabaye———

———HBA————-Remy————–Ba————

Wonder how that team would do in the PL ? . Shame we could not keep hold of them .

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Nov 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Very much off topic but does anybody know how to get these pop ups off an android phone, it used to be just candy crush but now it’s something different every time I open my Internet.

• 35 scout // Nov 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Why slag Benny off? If we lose the next 2 everyone will be harping on about him being back in the side. As for overweight? He’s just been on the weights.

• 36 scout // Nov 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I have some really strange stuff pops up like log cabins etc

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Nov 13, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Scout,
    I’m constantly getting mobo ap, jelly crush and three lasses in my area want to chat is there not some type of pop up blocker.

• 38 Yohan Kebab // Nov 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

i dont usually post links to other websites

however this is a very interesting article on papiss cisse from an sc freiburg point of view, and a further example of team play over individuals

• 39 scout // Nov 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM

JFA
    That did make me laugh, I got one saying single Muslim website or something. I’m not sure about a blocker surely it can be done though

• 40 blacknwhite yorkshireman // Nov 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Toonarmydownsouth – Fair enough against Hull and Sunderland he did drop below the standard that we expect and that he set against Fulham and Villa, but I think plenty more of our players have had just as many if not more ‘off days’ than HBA without being made a scapegoat. In a way I think he’s become a victim of his perceived ability. Regarding Shola, I think he’s done ok in the last two games, but I still don’t see much of a threat, neither do I see him shaping the game, none of our goals and very few of our chances actually come through him, they mainly come through playing good quick football which I think HBA could improve further.

• 41 John Tudor // Nov 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM

jfa try avg

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Nov 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM

JT,
    Cheers I’ll let you know how I get on

• 43 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM

So Derby County have renamed Pride Park. I said it was only a matter of time before clubs did this. Ok, they’ve only had the name for 16 years, but I think we’ll see this more and more.

Money is more important than history in the real world…

• 44 Ciaran // Nov 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Self satisfying prick.

• 45 MacToon // Nov 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM

:lol:

• 46 Mister Tuff // Nov 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Very good article in the Mail by Martin Keown about the future of English football -well worth a read.

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 14, 2013 at 6:04 AM

TDS,
    Difference with Derby and Newcastle, firstly as you rightly pointed out they have had this for 16 years, not since the 1880′s when the club was still Newcastle West. It is a new build stadium, of the same ilk as many of the new builds that have already sold naming right.

They have discussed this with fans and fans groups for the last 10 months, not just announced it as done as NUFC did.

NUFC received zip from Mike Ashley for the renaming. Derby have a deal which sees them receive actual real money for it.

£7million over 10 years for Derby, you describe similar sums of advertising revenue for boards around the ground as not worth the club doing, so why would renaming the stadium be worth doing for us?

Currently Wonga pay between £6mill and £8mill for shirts, training kit AND the stadium. Virgin paid a similar amount for just the kit and training. Good business work by those at the top of this club?

All in all, just cause Derby did it does not make it the right thing to do for NUFC. Particularly at the sums that we have been told are involved.

Going back to yesterday, those players who have featured for our academy since promotion include Dummett, Ferg, Newton, Ameobi, Vuckic, basically anyone who was 22 or under during August this year. So yes, the figure is relevant.

• 48 jimmysmith // Nov 14, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Well, was moving to Pride Park such a good idea for Derby in the first place, from almost any perspective, rather than redevelop the wonderfully named and deeply community entrenched “Baseball Ground”.

• 49 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 14, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Anyone here make it to the meeting at the Irish club last night. How did it go, anything interesting come up?

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Nov 14, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Lilo,
    Don’t expect a reply after you have just shot his reasoned, balanced and neutral view out of the water, I think he must be feeling very unlucky after the rest of his family pulled Chelsea, City and Man U out of the hat before he got left with us, he claims we needed massive investment that summer we finished fifth, when I pointed out we didn’t he agreed with me, but then said we could have never managed top six, he simply is not a fan of our people or club.

• 51 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 14, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Jimmy,
    I think it i always a tough call on moving stadiums. Don’t know enough about the precursors to the move to say if that was the right decision. Could they have improved and developed the Baseball Ground, or were there restrictions on it?

Pride Park is based around a business park, so maybe the increased corporate revenue was seen as the main driver. As I said, don’t know enough to comment on it really.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Nov 14, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Lilo,
    If your on about the fans meeting, apart from raising a few issues about getting plaques put up, they’re a waste of time, when you’ve got a young PR expert telling forty odd men and women who’ve supported the club for years that we spent 30M in January which made us the top sixth highest spenders last year, you know your never going to get the truth out of them.

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Jail,
    Ha, I thought I would put it out there anyway.

Whether I get a response or not, hopefully others will read it and realise that what Derby do with their new build ground really it isn’t that relevant to NUFC at all.

Renaming new builds is nowt new. Pride Park was based on The Riverside or as it was at one point the BT Cellnet Riverside Stadium. Renaming established stadiums, one which has been used by the Newcastle West End branch of the club since 1882 is a very different matter – particularly for zero monies. I’m sure it was just coincidence that it was renamed 6 months prior to an Olympic Games and potential global exposure….. Thank you IOC and City Council for not being bullied into it.

• 54 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Jail,
    Yeah, it was a fans meeting at the Irish Club, not sure who from the club was there.

I agree, very little of any substance comes from these sorts of things normally. I sent my question off regardless regarding the low quality coaching set up at the club – I did a bit of research last week while the Mrs was away and discovered that our coaching set up is the lowest qualified in the Premier league. I wanted to know why.

Didn’t really need an answer, I guess the reason will be cost, but would have liked to know their public response.

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Lilo,
    It’s a sore point with a lot of fans, even bills wasn’t happy about it, had we announced some international company were going to pay us an absolute fortune for it, it might have made the decision a little easier to take, all it done was allowed other fans to give us a ribbing and landed us with w@nga.

• 56 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Jail,
    Yeah, I can see the sense in making money by selling naming rights. But at the same time doing it for zip, or for very little money doesn’t sit well with me. I even said at the time that if they had “showcased” it using something like the Bobby Robson foundation instead of SD, then doing it for nothing wouldn’t have seemed as bad.

In the end it has sort of worked itself out I guess, but I suppose Wonga could rename it at anytime as part of the deal…..

• 57 geordieboy83 // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:31 AM

LILO and JFA

Morning lads, I’m not saying thus to start a Pardew bashing lol but do you think it could in part be down to Pardews arrogance, as to why we have such lowly qualified coaches? You look at Fulham who have just taken mulensteen as head coach , I think we missed a trick with that one. But couldn’t see Pardew wanting somebody stepping on his toes.

• 58 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Geordieboy,
    I think Meulensteen’s appointment will lead to Jol leaving soon. So in a way, yes, I definitely don’t think Pards would agree to that sort of person being brought in in that role. But Pards spoke of new ideas and freshening things up over the summer, so I don’t think he would be averse to having new staff come in.

He also spent a fair amount of his time travelling round European clubs while unemployed watching training and learning, so I think he realises he can improve, and isn’t that arrogant that he thinks he is the complete article.

We are playing better passing football, so in that sense he has improved, but his mentality is to set up not to be beaten. Mentality and instinct are much harder thing to change.

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Gb 83,
    It would be interesting to see Mullerstein and John Carvers payslips.

• 60 geordieboy83 // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:49 AM

LILO

Ah I see that’s cool, I didn’t remember him saying that to be fair. Yeah I do believe he is slowly but surely trying to develop his coaching methods but I do think it’s hard with carver and stone who are as old fashioned as they come

Onwards and upwards hopefully but I do feel we need an extra technical coach.

With the name change, I agree derby us irrelevant as pride park isn’t engrained in their history.

• 61 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Geordieboy,
    It doesn’t stop with Carver and Stone though. WE have Kevin Richardson and Dave Watson slightly lower down as well.

We definitely need to improve the coaching set up, be that by promoting some of the younger talented coaches, or by bringing in new staff.

I’d love to see someone like Gary White or Paul Clement come in and oversee the technical development of players and coaches and someone like Dario Gradi in to replace Kinnear to review the entire football set up.

• 62 Ibizatoon // Nov 14, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Morning all…

Jail…Did you manage to get those ad’s blocked on your Android?

Not sure if this will help you, it seems more about settings than downloading something new…but who knows for sure.

TDSarf…Had a chance to review the link about NUST being banned from the fans forum?

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Nov 14, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Ibiza,
    Thanks for asking but no I didnt, it’s becoming a real pain.

• 64 Ibizatoon // Nov 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Jail…Well that seemed to work for someone I work with who was having similar problems.

I am yet to experience the problem, but hardly use my phone for internet really – but also have those settings in place. Give it a go.

• 65 Ibizatoon // Nov 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Just reading an article ( a few days old now) about this NUST ban situation.

Noticed this in the comments section…

“Finally, Spurs are not owned by sporting goods salesman. They don’t have anything to sell except advertising space. The owner of Newcastle is also the owner of Sports Direct and wants to maximise the profits of both businesses. Advertising space at a Premier League football ground is expensive so you can hardly blame him for maximising that asset. If someone else wanted to pay more for that advertising space than it is worth to Sports Direct and Ashley, he is a businessman and he would sell the space. But there’s no sense in leaving it empty, and there’s no point in selling it for less than it is worth.”

No point in selling it for less than it is worth? So, just give it away for free instead?

Do I need another coffee?

• 66 Santon03 // Nov 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM

We are missing Debuchy, the best candidate for his replacement will be Anita regarless pardew using the same formation or not. I don’t think HBA will be the right player for the team right now. I’m not saying that he is bad for the team, but what we need right now is 11 hardworking heavy duty players vs 11 Norwich players or any other teams. HBA maybe good for subs or in certain situation but not from the start unless he is ready to do hardwork. HBA being benched and watching the team play could be good for him, so he can learn that we can’t rely on magic alone to win, we need to work hard as a team, defend as a team attack as a team, with hardwork we have more chances to win even without magic skills.
    I hope he learned, I hope to see hardworking skillful HBA (new and improved version).

• 67 geordieboy83 // Nov 14, 2013 at 8:37 AM

LILO

Dario gradi is a hell of a shout I’ve respected that bloke for many a year. Whether it be director of footy or a link between youth and adults he would be superb. Yeah I see the problems do run deep with the coaching, if you think of how many former players could perhaps do a job, rob lee, srnicek, ginola people like that would surely be worth a little gamble then tgere are former worldwide players, Marcelo salas, etc who could possibly add something along with an established coach. Can’t say if they’d be any good but gotta be worth a go.

• 68 Santon03 // Nov 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Jail & Ibiza

I don’t think you block or erase those pop up ads. It is within the apps that you downloaded. I have tried everything, it is useless.

previous post: I Told Him He Was Fantastic

next post: Newcastle Interested In Selling This Player In January?