Newcastle Interested In Selling This Player In January?

There were Italian teams interested in Newcastle’s left back Davide Santon last January, and it seems there will be more interest in the 22 year-old this January, and the reports out yesterday and today are that AC Milan may come after Davide in the January transfer window.

davide santon liverpool

Davide Santon – in action against Liverpool this season

The news is that the former Inter-Milan player, who Jose Mourinho turned into a left back from a right winger back in 2009, is wanted by the club he supported as a boy – AC Milan.

The reports seem to be being generated because Arsenal are interested in Milan’s Ignazio Abate, the 27 year-old Italian International right back, and if he goes they want to replace him, and of course Davide Santon can play in either full back spot.

Santon has been in good form this season, and  his place has come under pressure from a number of Newcastle players, but he has raised his game and had a particularly good game at Tottenham last Sunday.

But Newcastle could replace him at left back with either local lad Paul Dummett, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa or even Vurnon Anita, so it will be interesting to see if Newcastle are willing to sell.

We don’t they will be, as hopefully we’ll try to keep the current squad together,  and add maybe two or three new players in January.

It also depends on what AC Milan are thinking of bidding for the player who cost us £5M from Inter Milan a couple of years ago.

Davide has settled well in England and has become a better player at Newcastle, and so far has splayed 75 times for Newcastle with one goal.

The 6′ tall full back is currently out of the Italian squad,  and one advantage for him if he did move to Milan, is that he’d have a much better chance of making the Italian squad for the World Cup in Brazil next summer.

But we hope Newcastle keep Davide on Tyneside come February.

What do you think?

Ian Begg is a reader who recently found out that his Mom was very ill, and he has to return to Australia. Ian has a Platinum Club season ticket that has £700 left on it, and he is willing to sell it for £550 or a best offer.

Please see if you can help Ian out, and you can contact him by email at ian_s_begg@hotmail.com – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Ibizatoon

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Ed…Nice of you to do an article to give Ciaran a smile this morning 🙂

Personally, I think the lad still has some defensive work to do, but he is still young and certainly has potential.

I feel if we did sell him, we may well live ot regret it down the line. However, we do have some good young players coming through for that spot, so not the end of the world.

Anyway, I don’t normally read much in to transfer speculation at this time of year, so I wont this time either.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I must be the one person who has singly never been impressed with Santon. Terrible positioning defensively and he always has to cut back on his other foot going forward which always slows the whole momentum and there is hardly ever any end product.

Haidara and even Dummet have been far more impressive for me and if a good offer came in for Santon I’d take it.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Rotonda…You’re not alone. Quite a few people are far from sold on Santon on here.

• clinath@ed

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM

For RENT: development space on luxurious FENCE. Recently vacated.
    Must have balanced point of view and GSOH.

Enquiries to the island of IBIZA.

lol.

• RonVanDam

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM

22 years and 75 games already, if we let him go – this decision will come back to haunt us. I cam see him going for 40m by the time he’s 27-28. He’s on low wages anyway so why not hang on to him. Will be value able in future

• Ibizatoon

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Clinath…Hey, I’m using that space to showcase it’s potential! 🙂

• Quasimodo's tailor

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I honestly think Santon flatters to deceive. Most opposition teams set themselves up to attack us down his flank as he often loses possession when going forward, or is dragged infield. Our attacking options also become more limited as he narrows the play by cutting inside 90% of the time. What has saved us on countless occasions is Gouffran’s tracking back and Jonas before him. If we were offered anything like we paid for him, I’d snatch their hand off. And please, don’t anyone ever say again he could be the next Gareth Bale.

• toon1707

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM

He is only 22 and personally my opinion is that he is a very good attacking full back who will only get better and it won’t be long before he is an established member of the Italian squad letting him go would be a big mistake

• In exile 7

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Would be short sighted move to sell, unless it was crazy money i.e. £20 million. Santon is a cracking natural footballer. Just look at the way he can move the ball fluidly with both feet at high speed. How about stick him back on the right wing, maybe Jose got that one wrong!

• Smokey

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I really don’t rate Santon as a left back.
    However if we were to let him, I’d like to see him tried on the wing first, as an out and out attacking player, which at the end if the day is what he is

• danuneek

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I like Santon, but he’s not a left back and as someone said, his positioning is poor. Also, he doesn’t offer much width because he always cuts inside on his right foot. Can’t cross for toffee either. I would sell for £8m.

• Blofal

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I’d loan him out and play Dummett instead. Santon hasnt blown my socks off but he is still very young. Loan him to Milan and then see where we are at in a years time…

• Ancientcoptic

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

A.C Milan will at times spend on attackers, but I cannot see them offering us enough money for Santon. If Santon decided he needs to leave to get international games, I say do not stand in his way so long as we can get 10 million.

Haidara & Dummett are good enough to fight for that left back slot between them.

If somebody told me right now that the club had to accept 10 million for either Haidara or Santon, and I had to choice to keep one with the other leaving for the money… I would keep Haidara, even thought right now his value is not as high as Santon’s – I see him as our long term future at left back. Haidara is a defender first, second and last.

• bobby mango

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

He made huge mistakes for so many goals last season. It was criminal.
    Think we might be more solid with Dummet or Haidara

• Douglas

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

His positional play is poor. Sell him. The other 2 lads Headara and Drummit are already better. We dont need another full back. Use the money to get a centa fourwad

• nufc 11

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

How can the club look to move him on when they have never tryed him on the right wing? His best posistion by far but gets shoved into LB and told your a LB forget RM I can see the club selling him and regretting it big time Ive siad it a thousand times he is not a defender and a not a LB has to check bk all the time to his right to cross missing that spilit second chance sometimes to hurt a team. Loves bombing forward hate to see him go without knowing if he was what we all hope for on the RM.

• toonluvva

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM

According to Mr Pardew after the summer transfer window closed, we didn’t bring in anyone because we didn’t want to go into debt.

Assuming the same is still true in January, if Mr Pardew wants to add to his squad, at least 1 player will have to be sold. The better the player we want in, then the more senior the player out will be.

I still expect to see at least 1 from Krul, Cabaye, Hatem, Colo, Cisse and now Santon to leave before February., with a couple leaving in the summer. However, somehow I can well imagine our esteemed DoF trying, and failing miserably to get any replacements in.

• Bleemo

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I’m with the general thinking on here that Davide is very sloppy with his distribution even against Tottenham he was caught out of position many times.

Another thing that I have noticed about him is that he always looks really nervous and does not use his 6’1 frame to his advantage as he is easily knocked off the ball by smaller wingers. Haidara despite being shorter is much stronger.

If they could get £5-6m for him I would take it as Dummett and Haidara are certainly no worse.