The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

A Tribute To Gary Speed

10:45 am, Friday, November 15th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

Gary Speed died tragically on November 27th, 2011 at the young age of 42, and the two year anniversary of his passing will be coming up in a couple of weeks.

Gary Speed Painting 3

This is the almost finished painting of Gary Speed

As a tribute to Gary and in his memory, reader David Brown has painted a portrait of Gary in Newcastle’s famous colors,  and he will hold a raffle in the next couple of weeks, and all proceeds will go to the Gary Speed Foundation.

Here are some words from David:

I am doing a portrait of the late Gary Speed.   The painting is 40″x30″, acrylics on chunky canvas. I will raffle the painting off and all the proceeds will be donated to the Gary Speed Foundation.

The tickets are £1.00 each. Please contact me via email  - daveybrownart@hotmail.co.uk – for tickets. You can pay via PayPal or bank transfer.

Tickets can be posted out to you so please add an extra 75p to the cost when purchasing tickets.

The draw will be made on Saturday, 30th November at 4.30pm in the Number 9 Bar, Stowell Street, Newcastle. The draw will be recorded and the video will be put on Facebook, Twitter, etc that evening.

I have done the paining in Newcastle United colors, but if a fan of one of Gary’s other clubs should win the painting, I will do another one in the colors of the winner’s choice.

This includes his National team Wales.

Thank you.

Gary was an outstanding player and professional for Newcastle United from 1998 through 2004, and played for the great Bobby Robson during Bobby’s five years managing his home town club.

Gary had a tremendous career as a player and also played for Leeds United, Everton, Bolton Wanderers and Sheffield United, and later became a successful  manager of Sheffield United  and Wales.

gary speed

Gary Speed

This is a terrific gesture by David – email daveybrownart@hotmail.co.uk – and see if you can support this raffle in honor of Gary Speed, and remember all proceeds will go to the Gary Speed Foundation – many thanks.

Ed Harrison.

Tags: Charity · Gary Speed · Newcastle News · Other News

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Our Toon // Nov 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Cracking playing career and a shame at how it all ended!!

• 2 Our Toon // Nov 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM

REPOST

Anita played FB in a very poor league though, technically a good but not when it comes to quality of players!! He won’t have faced many long balls being punted toward him which would instantly be the tactic if he occupied FB position!! Frank De Boer said that Anita is a DM & played him in his natural position, he is someone who knows a lot about that type of role!!

• 3 barkel // Nov 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM

ah what would DeBoer know .. who is he anyway! :)

• 4 Our Toon // Nov 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Barkal:

Haha no idea what that guy would know, defo not more than pards!! :)

• 5 JackButler // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM

A great player, consummate professional, gentleman and a genuinely nice man.

RIP Gary Speed

• 6 bills-son // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Ed,

I think you should bring another thread in asap so that this thread stays as a tribute to Gary Speed.

If any thread deserves to stay on subject it is this one.

The man was a glowing example of how a professional footballer should conduct himself. A credit to every club he played for and one of the most respected guys in the game.

RIP

• 7 Our Toon // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Agreed Bills Son

• 8 Munster Mag // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Bills-son, well said. Speed was one of the best players I’ve seen at Newcastle, along with other less heralded guys like that fella we got from Charlton who’se name completely eludes me – Robbie ???? ( Sorry chaps, wife was away last night. Looking after my two beautiful kids can be tiring, and I had a few glasses of vino…knackered today, although not working thankfully ) . So who was that brill midfielder ?? HELP!!! Put me out of my misery!

• 9 Our Toon // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Munster:

Rob Lee

• 10 Jaime Lannister // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM

We should definitely keep the same centre back pairing for the Norwich game, look at Arsenal having to leave Vermaelen out (their captain) for a successful partnership (albeit Mertesacker is much better than Willo)

If Coloccini is to play against Norwich it should be at RB, not CB. I’d start with HBA in a wide right role however have Sissoko covering his defensive duties down that side, he has to play with us being at home and we will have more possession.

My team for next weekend…

Krul
    Coloccini Williamson Yanga-M’Biwa Santon

Tiote
    Sissoko Cabaye Gouffran

Ben Arfa
    Remy

• 11 Edd Case // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM

RIP Gary.

• 12 Munster Mag // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Anyway, havent been on the blog in a while so some sundry random thoughts….

1. We did brilliantly against Chelsea and Spurs, but we used up plenty of lady luck against Spurs. Had we lost 3-1 we couldnt have complained so lets not get carried away.
    2. Our games against the less talented teams ( compared to the above two ) will tell us much about the players real mentality and Pardew.
    3. Pardew has to be given much credit. He has improved our play and appears less defensive. It will be interesting to see how we play if we are 1-0 up on Norwich. Will ge go into our Reading shell? I dont think so …Remy has offered us so much in that sense aswell.
    4. I liked Pardew at the start, then got utterly sick of him. Hands up if I change my tune again – well done Pardew, but the jury is still out but likely to find in your favour.
    5. Santon is still the crap defender I always said he was.
    6. My ability to judge a player is still class – I’ve been proved correct on Santon ( since day 1, despite the abuse i got here ) , Gosling, Obertan ( thanks for the dogs abuse ) . And yes, self praise is no praise.
    7. IS TDS still boring you all witless about accountancy :)
    8. Has Ibiza finally got off his fence yet ?
    9. Anita is a wonderful little player.
    10. We need to invest in a centre back of serious size.
    11. I need a coffee
    12. Is Sunderland a worse kip than Boro ? Surely not ??

Your thoughts please…Billson, how are you ?

• 13 Our Toon // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Munster:

Don’t think we have become more attacking, we are reverting back to playing football rather than hoofball…hence the improved performances!! We are using our midfield rather than bypassing it which means we ask more questions of teams…please don’t take this as being more attacking. I will credit pards for changing it but even an fool would know that the tactics from last yr needed changing, that 2nd half against Spurs showed that nothing had changed, as with Cardiff game we dropped deep and just hung on and hoped for the best!! Completely out played and outclassed which always seems to be the case when we are leading at HT (Hull as well)

• 14 pottsclock // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Gary Speed was a shining star even in a great team. Such a true professional in all ways. RIP.

• 15 Our Toon // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Santon is still young (22) has ample time to improve and head and shoulders above Dummett (same age) I agree he makes mistakes but in what was a poor season last yr Santon was probably the best player for quite a few games!! The lad will become a top FB but unfortunately not with us, because we highlight the faults all to often in players and don’t realise the potential if coached correctly!! Jose Enrique being prime and example, Cisse the latest to be slated and Benny who gets slated for not working hard enough. Maybe we deserve the likes a Strolla, Best, Obertan

• 16 Munster Mag // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Our Toon – thank you ! Rob Lee, what a player. Bizarrely, I have a pair of his shorts from back then. The green ones. Sister got them in a london charity gig I think !

• 17 Munster Mag // Nov 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Our Toon, Enrique and Santon are not comparable. Santon is quite slow, and has never marked space well. He is also poor in the air, and goes to sleep. He will never ne a decent left back unless someone starts to work on him, and even then , I doubt it. enrique was an excellent player IMO. Santon does little going forward either, not on the left anyway. Haidara will take over from him soon.

• 18 Ciaran // Nov 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Gary Speed, you still are sorely missed. One of my favourite players of SBR’s time and I was gutted when we let him go. Consummate professional and all round gentleman. Still well up when I think about the tragic circumstances surrounding his death.

RIP Gary Speed.

• 19 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Steven taylor is an Idiot. no matter what any1 says

• 20 Our Toon // Nov 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Santon is better at RB, I don’t think he brings much at LB, he has to cut in to use right foot at all times sure management can see this!! However this is the same management that consistently play players out of position!! When Enrique joined us he was slow, positioning was awful, poor going forward. The lad was berated is his first 2 seasons. He worked hard on his game though, Santon has always been a RB who can do a decent job at LB, Haidara should be playing now and Santon should stay because he will develop into a very good FB, don’t forget he was winger that Mourinho converted in a FB

• 21 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM

RIP Gary Speed

A fantastic player for every club he played for and a top bloke too we hear.

A reminder that we can never take life for granted.

• 22 ilovetoon8788 // Nov 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Fantastic player.

We still miss your aerial threat Gary Speed. You are missed.

RIP GARY SPEED.

• 23 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM

• 24 Munster Mag // Nov 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Our Toon, Enrique wasnt slow when he joined us. He took a while to acclimatise, but you could always see potential. The managemnet, if they have realised Santons weakness on his left, have never really tried to use him on the right. I think we’ll sell him, and I;ll happily wave him goodbye. He contributes so little. Keeps the ball well but looks neither a full back nor a winger. I’d put him on the right and keep him there. IMO Dummet will be a better defender, He is more of a simple defender than Santon, who falls between stools , in my book anyway.

• 25 bobby vee // Nov 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I could not let this opportunity go by without having some
    say on one of the finest players to don our shirt, the ONE
    and ONLY GARY SPEED!. I had the fortunate privilege
    to get to know Gary and take it from me, a more Genuine
    and Honest guy you could never meet. Blessed with a
    remarkable talent as a footballer (Oh’ to have him in our
    team now) Gary never acted the “Big Shot” but simply
    gave his all for Newcastle United in EVERY game, I
    could name quite a few of our current squad who should
    take a leaf out of Gary’s book.

I could wax lyrical about Gary for hours, but what’s the point? this basically shy man would only feel embarrassed, but what I will say is that every supporter
    of Newcastle United will never ever forget Gary Speed
    and in years to come his name will still be mentioned and
    he will forever be classed as a TRUE LEGEND !!

Thanks for so many great memories Gary R.I.P

• 26 scout // Nov 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I’ll never forget the day I met you in eldon square, you’re such a top bloke. Sleep well with the angels.

RIP