Newcastle After This Top Youngster – Video

Ryan Gauld is a 17 year-old attacking midfielder who has gained a first team spot this season at Dundee, and he has played 15 times with 5 goals for the Scottish Championship League side this term, and he’s attracting the interest of some big clubs, including Newcastle United.

ryan gauld

Ryan Gauld – 17 year-old top youngster north of the border

Ryan is 5’5″ tall which is one inch shorter than Vurnon Anita, although the Scottish lad still has time to grow, and he doesn’t turn 18 until next month.

Ryan has played 8 times for the Scottish U19 side and made his debut for the U21 side against Georgia last week in a 1-1 draw, and needless to say, he’s very highly rated north of the border.

The news is that Newcastle are interested in this youngster, and of course now is the time to snap this lad up, before other clubs come in for him, and before he becomes too good a player and his price would go shooting up.

But it’s always a risk with teenagers, because you never really know how they are going to turn out – and that’s because it takes more than just skill to succeed, but you have to have the character, determination and willingness to work hard, to become a big player – and to become successful in any career – come to think of it.

But for such a low fee that Dundee would accept for the youngster, in Ryan’s case,  it’s probably worth the risk.

And Ryan could continue playing first team football, because Newcastle could always loan him straight back to Dundee, and that may be a good deal for both clubs.

Ryan has played a total of  27 times for Dundee with 6 goals, and here’s some video on who they call the Scottish Messi.

[youtube id=”9FJRidMJSeA” mode=”normal” align=”left”]

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• scitoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Howay man, he plays for Dundee United, not Dundee! Two different teams. United are also in the Scottish Premiership not the Scottish Championship, which is where Dundee are. Gauld is a tidy wee player but he has said no to other teams already. More likely to stay at United for the forseeable future.

• cyprus

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Are we to decide on the strength of this video Ed? 😉
    If so, he needs to build his portfolio, and his frame, he’d get slaughtered in the PL.

• LEROI

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

If man u etc are after him like I’ve read they are we’ll have no chance because when you’re 17 & someone mentions playing for or even being on the books of man u,arsenal,liverpool your head gets inflated especially if your from another less famous league & club. the lad won’t weigh up the cons of going to one of these big boys, he’ll just be intrested in bragging to prospective wags and hangers on about who he “plays for” & what he earns because of it.
    forget this lad he’ll be overhyped & overated.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Ibiza

That’s what I’m saying. People can’t say that the club is definitely over reacting while also claiming that there’s more to it than we have been told. If there’s more to it then the club might not be over reacting after all. As far as we know, the guys at NUST told the club representative to “go and **** himself”.

But once again, this fuels the anti-Ashley brigade to say this is both an over reap action AND there’s more to it.

I’m not referring to you specifically but I do think you slipped off the fence a little on this issue… 🙂

• 89Norcal

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Have to say, I like how he moves. Definitely Messi-like at times

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM

TDSarf…I will always try and keep some perspective, but have to say, that fence of mine is more like a single post these days as far as Ashley is concerned.

I think what people are saying is that they feel there is more to it, in the sense that they didn’t like the questions they were asked. That would still be in the category of over reacting…if that was the case of course.

If it was more down to something along the lines of the proposal you just made (I know you’re not saying that is what you think has happened), then why the hell haven’t the club said so?

The clubs silence on the issue, or should I say their insistence that it’s due to NUST releasing that article early is baffling to me and really plays in to the anti-ashley crowd, myself included.

Which ever way I look at this one, I can’t see how the club have handled it well…even if they are the complete innocent party in this.

Just another PR gaff? You’d think if it wasn’t by design it would improve at some point, yet here we are, still waiting.

So, to recap, unless NUST have done something else which the club isn’t telling us, then it is an over reaction. If the club didn’t want their questions anymore, their actions can still be deemed to be an overreaction.

I still don’t see it as trying to have something both ways and I really am trying to see your point of view on this.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM

TDsarf,
    You proved to me last night that if someone you deem is anti Ashley says black is black you will say it’s white, when I complained that Leon Best wasn’t repaced your defence on the clubs behalf was, well we had Shola Ameobi and Nile Ranger, proves your WUM.

• John Tudor

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM

its the shorts and his weeble legs

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM

People are criticising the club AND looking for more answers at the same time.

As far as I’m concerned, I have no reason to doubt the club’s account and what the NUFC Fans Group back up. And given the over reaction from the club on the media issue, I don’t think it would take too much for them to have kicked them out. I can envisage a situation where the club had sent several communications stating that they would issue the minutes and were then very unhappy that those instructions were ignored. Then it would appear they over reacted.

The first thing I would have done in the circumstances is call the person responsible. If they apologised and said it was an accident, then so be it – I’d tell them how important it is that it doesn’t happen again and move on. If they tried to make excuses then I’d probably have told them that if they can’t abide by the rules of the forum then they’re not welcome in future as everyone else managed to abide.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

JfA

Hardly! I just don’t see the loss of Leon Best as any big deal!

I don’t remember him doing much in that last year, in fact stats show he got 3 goals in 21 appearances. In total he only got 10 goals in 46 appearances! If we were going to buy a player like that for £3M you’d be p***ed off!

He was a stop gap nothing more. We had Ba and Cisse at the time with Shola, Ranger and Campbell as back-up. I’d say £3M was a good deal.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Sorry. 4 goals. 3 was a typo.

• santonthenewmaldini

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM

This young lad is a canny little player what we as a club should be doing is setting up links with teams such as Dundee United and St Mirren who play football the right way and because of the financial situation give youth a proper chance

Our youngsters should go there for the first year they get loaned out and if they improve then loaned to a Championship club like Derby or Crewe that we have a similar agreement with the way the Scottish league is now if we had some good youngsters to loan out they could be involved a battle for the league or european places which would be more beneficial than the bloody reserves!!But that sounds like what a proper club who are organized properly would do ;?!?So simple to a normal punter but never looks like the club thinks about it at all

I see some arguing about Best getting sold? He was not that good the fact that we got 3 million of Blackburn was great business for us to be honest Lovenkrands was more of a loss !!

• John Tudor

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM

anyone not replaced is a loss

• scout

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Some could be replaced with a cardboard cut out

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

TDSarf…I think this is where many have an issue with your view of the club.

You “have no reason to doubt the club”?

I wont bother posting the links which you would have already seen, but come on, we know they’re no angels and have been caught lying in the past…it was proved in court.

That doesn’t mean they’re always lying, but it does prove we have reason to doubt them.

People criticize AND look for more answers as the club hardly ever provides them. We know something is up and as you have admitted, from what the club have released, their reaction doesn’t seem to fit the action.

What is hard to understand about that?

What you or I would have done is completely irrelevant. Surely we should be seeking what happened with the actual people involved or is it a case of it’s not really that important?

• pottsclock

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Nile Ranger

• theartfuldodger

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Leon Best,if still here, might have started the last two three games in place of Shola.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM

TDsarf,
    I was quite excited to see Leon Best go as much as I liked his work ethic as I thought it was to make way for a top striker to compete with Ba and Cisse, not in a million years after qualifying for Europe would I have thought they would release two strikers with PL experience without replacing them, Nile Ranger, you’re having a Steff Graf.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I’m confused, I thought the minutes very much suggested all parties agreed banning the NUST was an overreaction

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM

On topic
    Never seen this lad play can some one she’d more light on him?
    Tbf the video makes him look like most his game is run and draw fouls

• yo-yo

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM

TDS

I’m far from neutral in the Ashley debate but be realistic. NUST have been going for a good while – they’ve had their organisational problems sure, but we are talking of an ownership regime highly sensitive to any criticism at all – including the local press – banning a group with the objective of promoting a new kind of club ownership on pretty spurious grounds – sounds like censorship to me. Don’t like the questions ? Then shoot the questioner. The club’s PR has been dismal under Ashley and you ought to be able to accept that the club need to improve their attitude to the fans and fans groups. Yeh … all organisations like yes men, poodles and unqualified support.. but a healthy scepticism on your behalf on the motives and methods of club officials would ring better than simple acceptance of what they say and do.

How do you know when a politician is lying ?…:)

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I don’t really know/care about what could have caused the problem but going off what the club and other groups have said it seems like an over reaction from the info given.

If that was the punishment agreed for that ‘offence’ before hand though I do have little sympathy as you need to play by the rules, other fan organisations have managed it. If there is more too it it’s difficult to prove as its one sides word against the other, though I know who I would personally trust, not the club…but its speculation so not worried about it.

On this young lad, never heard from him so no idea what to expect.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Cor it’s quiet on here…

Did anyone watch the Ukraine vs France game? What chance do you think France have of pulling it back tomorrow?

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I also think that Ashley has created an atmosphere of mistrust with a lot of fans and therefore even if he does something right/justified there will always be speculation.

It’s like the boy who cried wolf, so many lies/contradictions/not telling whole truth that a lot of trust is gone and it takes a long time to rebuild that….and he doesn’t seem to want to do it.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Ibiza

No idea, never saw it just the score, but france have some good players but have massively under performed for the past 4 years.

I’d like to see them qualify for a lot of out lads sakes,

It does make england’s draws with the Ukraine look much better than what they were made out during qualifying though.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM

TS…Never heard of this lad until today. I know he’s young and I really don’t follow Scottish football, but is 1 goal in 3 games that great for a supposed great player in a supposed inferior league?

Although, it shouldn’t be a load of money, so well worth a shot. Be nice to see some fresh blood give the current youngsters that needed kick up the backside.

Nothing wrong with some extra motivation for the players.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM

ibiza

at that age after only 3 games there wont be much to show really….1 goal in 3 games could be good for his position/time on the pitch/quality of his team and opposition etc

Suppose that’s why we have the scouts watching people so they can pick up on the qualities not just the basic statistics.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM

TS…Ukraine are no push overs, but really, if you want to win major tournaments, you need to be beating them surely? I know there’s no easy games in football, but I hope you get my point.

DeChump will be out of a job if they don’t get the win I’d have thought…that would be interesting.

As for England…ughh…I don’t know what to say. I still get a little excited, sort of, but much like the current Newcastle, I find myself somewhat detached and with little hope. Mind, England took me there first 🙂

Still, you never know…

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM

TS…It’s 3 in 15, but I guess your point still stands 🙂

Scouts aren’t needed. Stats and YouTube…that’s the future!

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM

ibiza

I would agree but at the same time we only needed a draw so it’s all we played for, roy hodgson is cautious as a manager so doesn’t take many risks. It might not be pretty but suits the england team I think as we won’t dominate the big teams.

Just out of interest niger and playing italy in london tonight and shola has set one up and scored one for them.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM

ibiza

well less impressive but when young not many burst onto the scene scoring for fun, when not at the biggest club in the league anyway.

With England I’m looking forward to the world cup….we have some good players and i like the players like townsend, wilshire, sturridge all coming in…good young lads.

Chance for people like barkley and morrison to push for a place with a good season too.

We still have experienced top players like gerrard, lampard, rooney, as well then good lads like carrick, jagielka, hart.

I don’t think we will win, or make the final but could make the semi’s…might sound too optimistic but we have players who can win games.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

should read nigeria not niger…different country haha

• spudzzz

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM

and now for something completely different:

Italy 1 -Nigeria 2
    Ameobi brilliant assist for the 1st goal
    ameobi scored the second

!!!!!! hahaha…the mackem slayer is now slaying the italian

im fully expecitng now to discover that the earth is flat and chicken have teeth

• John Tudor

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM

had to check that one

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM

TS…That typo could have caused a lot of problems…it still might 🙂

That Shola sounds pretty decent. I hope Joe is watching and can convince Mike to buy him! Joking aside, fair play, 1 assist and a goal. Now, the same again in Black and White and I’ll be really really pleased for him.

The future does look better for England to be fair. Quite a few exciting talents coming through. I have found the current crop to be a little on the boring side. Decent, but not bums off seats really.

I don’t mind Hodgson and think he’s doing a fairly good job really. Didn’t mean for my last post to sound negative about the Ukraine result, was just thinking out loud really…been a long day.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Speaking of the Ukraine, Konoplyanka is someone I would love us to try and sign . Long shot yes but it is about time he went to one of the best leagues in the world .

Even if he is only with us for a couple of years .

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

IWantCurlyHair2™ ?@Iwantcurlyhair2 1m

Would absolutely piss my self if Shola sent England home from Brazil. #KingSholaLionSlayer

• jimmysmith

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM

“Not having the practical matter of domestic football to occupy the mind and spirit, leads the ardent and parochial fan to take a more ideological and political perspective, which with this ownership and the misanthropic nature of the game at the highest level in general, in turn, inevitably leads an already alienated fan base quite naturally to a manifest disaffection.”

Where’s the fuggen fitba? International breaks BLOW!!!! I need my meds.

• John Tudor

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

watchin brackley v gills

• santonthenewmaldini

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Watched the 2nd half of France Ukraine Deschamps got it wrong so badly its the same problems every time I watch them people say Pardew is defensive minded and not got a clue well he is worse

Nasri and Ribery are terrible for France add Benzema into the mix and its the worst trio going they only pass to each other and always hit useless shots or lose the ball rather than pass to the other side Debuchy and Sissoko or Pogba rarely got a pass off them

Ukraine’s wingers looked really good how we could do with any of their wingers and striker as they looked quality

The game for France was actually crying out for Cabayes passing and shooting qualities Remy was totally wasted on the right as well he should play wide left and give him the ball

I cant see how they will break down Ukraine unless they really go for it from kick off but I just think Deschamps does not have that mentality to go and attack from the off it will be the same pass the ball to Ribery for 90 minutes and watch him lose it every time he cuts inside