Newcastle Forward Turning Out To Be Fantasic Buy

French forward Yoan Gouffran has quickly become a fan favorite on Tyneside for a number of reasons, he speaks in lyrical terms of both the Newcastle club and the fans, he works his socks off for the team in every single game, and he scores some vital goals for the Magpies too – he’s a big favorite of ours.

yoan gouffran aston villa 98

Yoan Gouffran scoring against Aston Villa

Yoan made a January move from Ligue 1 club Bordeaux for just £1.5M, as his contract ran out in June, and he’s one of the players Mike Ashley brought in six months early, to try to save us form relegation – and it worked.

Gouffran has three goals for Newcastle this season, and as well as his good play his fantastic work-rate and ability to track back makes if difficult for manager Alan Pardew to leave him out of the side, and Yohan has fought his way into being a regular starter at Newcastle.

Gouffran has talked to the local press today:

“We have a lot of quality options here.” “We have Loic Remy as well as Shola Ameobi and Papiss Cisse in the squad.”

“I don’t mind who I play with. We have a lot of competition for places and that is the most important thing.” “We must just keep working hard.”

“I am the type of player who wants to do a job for the team.” “That is the most important for me.” “I can play in different positions in attack or if needed I can play as a number 9.”

“It is up to the manager to decide.” “I will play in whatever role he asks me.”

Yoan plays the game very much like Jonas Gouffran as far as his work rate goes, but he also has the ability to score goals at the right time.

He’s been one of the best buys for Newcastle in a long time, and he’s a bit of an unsung hero at Newcastle.

At £1.5M Yohan has been a steal for Newcastle United, and another one of Chief Scout Graham Carr’s successes. 😀

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Totally agree with the NUFC Fans United minutes on NUST and have said that since day 1. NUST had no place releasing those minutes themselves but a ban is heavy handed. Ashley must realise that not every fan group can be run by soneone who is completely professional.

• bishopblaize

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Goofy, he is a work horse .. Would really like our attacking players surging into positions better to counter balance the upset he causes with defences.
    Absolute top guy.
    I don’t understand how we aint finding the net as much as we should on paper.
    Looking forward to next few matches .. See where it leaves in prep for transfer window.
    Just hope this is MA & Pards getting things right!

• Hatem's better than Messi

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Cheap and energetic.
    Plays for the team.
    Jonas Gouffran…:D

• bishopblaize

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Hybrid

• cyprus

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Gouffy: top top signing.

Sami: Good idea to go out on loan. There’s a lot of potential there, however he needs the games.

Dembele for Cabs? I WOULD bite your hand off.

TO DO on AP’s desk: Sort out HBA and Cisse, two gems in remission. Look closely at Norwich, make sure we take MORE seriously than Chelsea.

• martoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM

The thing that worries me the most is what frame of mind our French players will be in. Chances are they will not qualify now and so they will arrive back onWednesday tired and hacked off.

• Dannyo

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM

@ToonDarnSarf
    I agree, a ban was overly harsh, unless the expectations had been communicated before-hand, and everyone was in agreement.
    But again, “keeping time” in a sense isn’t difficult.
    It’s their fault and their fault entirely.

• cyprus

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I think about many of ManU’s games through the years (even our recent 4-3 defeat). The opposition has routinely given them a game, looked like winning it, end up with nothing! Why? Because they gave that little bit extra, closing down opponents, working their socks off. In truth, many many of their wins DID NOT come easy. That’s what we need to do…

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Dannyo

According to NUFC Fans United, the expectations were communicated beforehand and everyone was in agreement. Only NUST claimed they weren’t. Stupid of NUST to think everyone should release their own version of the minutes.

Another mess that the anti-Ashley brigade use when it’s mostly not his fault.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Cyprus

Dead right. We did it when we finished 5th though.

• Tommyy

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Morning chaps, I’m doing a thought piece on Ashley and his controversial involvement with NUFC since his arrival.
    I remember reading some fantastically detailed articles linked on here over the last couple of years which would provide an excellent basis on which to start.
    Could anyone link me to where these came from or whether you can point me out to any such articles? Would really appreciate it! Cheers.

• Dannyo

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

@ToonDarnSarf
    Will be interesting to see if NUST gets back in, but most things NUFC doesn’t like nowadays results in a ban, so maybe we shouldn’t be so surprised.
    By banning NUST an example has been set, and set early, which is sometimes needed.
    A ban though man, feels like they took it very personal.

• jayphoto

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Not surprised fans are starting to take to Gouffran! He was always better than the transfer fee suggested! A couple of years ago he nearly moved to Aston Villa and the fee then was 8m!
    At bordeaux he really came to the fore playing uptop on his own, pards doesn’t seem to fancy him as a central striker however!

• lesh

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

bishopblaize @2…. This is Kinnear’s opportunity to be judged by his signings and I worry that he, Pards and Carr are to sit down soon and discuss signings. They’ve had ling enough to identify weaknesses!

Cyprus. Dembele’d be a more than adequate replacement for Cabaye who’s not a happy bunny.

However, I don’t think Dembele’s ever going to happen. Why? If Daniel Levy can hold out and get £83m for Bale, Ashley’s assessment of his worth’d be way below what Tottenham’ll want and get!

Would Dembele be a straight swop for Cabaye? But realistically, should we be selling our top players to EPL clubs? I say NO!

Let’s hope that Kinnear has a nett Bert for this window and he enlists Charnley to thrash out the how to pay what element. Kinnear’s role in negotiations? Stay out of ’em!

• jayphoto

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Just a note, not sure if anyones mentioned this but the NUFC french national layers are getting an absolute roasting in France at the moment!
    On debuchy they say that he flatters to deceive with 10/10 performances against poor opposition but gets found out the moment france have to defend.
    On Sissoko they are saying that his inclusion is a mystery. Has never once played well for france, was inconsistent at tolouse and has taken that form to newcastle.
    On Cabaye they say has gone backwards in the last 18 months and his form last season means he shouldn’t be anywhere near the national side.
    On Remy they say his inclusion for france, as always is pointless! Deschamps has tried to force him into the side because of his good form but plays him out of position because he doesnt have the balls to drop ribery! They also accuse Remy of getting star struck when he lines up with players like benzema and ribery and say he restricts his own game as he doesnt have to confidence to express himself alongside such talent and instead plays the coward opting always for a short pass or safe option

• Dannyo

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM

@lesh
    Levy got £10M out of Crouch to Stoke.
    That’s some spectacular piece of business right there.

• jayphoto

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Dembele is such an odd player! Could have sworn he played up front for fulham?? But plays as a holding mid at spurs! Pretty sure ive seen him play left wing for belgium! Dont watch spurs much but don’t see much of him on the highlight reels etc 15m + seems alot for a 7/10 solid midfielder!

• jayphoto

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Also, nearly all the press are saying we’re going to take zaha in january! Think that means HBA is gone! Man utd would let a player like zaha out on loan if he wasnt going to play 75% of the games! Don’t really rate him on what ive seen but got some mates who are palace fans who reckon he could be world class!
    Still hoping we take Tom ince in january for the left! Still gutted we wouldn’t forkout the 1.5m for ravel morrison tbh! Was actually in toon for a medical but llambias wouldn’t agree to the 1.5m add on if he made an england appearance! To be honest , if he plays for england im centre mid hed be valued way above 3m so it seemedd bad business by nufc at the time

• Belfast

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

By far the best signing we made in January…

• Smokey

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Dembele’s best position is just behind a striker. Imagine his creativity flair and strength supplying Remy…
    The prospect makes my mouth water.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Would love Dembele but I can’t see it happening I’m afraid .

• JackButler

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Ashley’s ban on NUST is like taking a sledge hammer to crack an egg, another massive over reaction that simply annoy’s people and make’s him look like a kid taking his ball home

• JAMSHA

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

De Bruyne on loan??

• martoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM

jayphoto @15 – Not surprising really, if England were in their position then I’m sure our players would be getting equally slated by our press. The criticism of Cabaye seems harsh – surely it is current form that counts not last year’s.
    JackButler @22 Ashley has many faults – well documented on this blog but I’d be surprised if a decision like banning NUST was made by him. I would not have thought he has the time or inclination to bother himself with such matters – that decision was probably made by Lee Marshall or bendy Wendy.

• lesh

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Whoops….@14

Let’s hope that Kinnear has a nett • Bert • = budget.

My apologies to Bert!

Dannyo, yup, Levy’s a shrewd negotiator and he’s prepared to stand his ground – no pi$$Ing about.

When you look at Sprez wealth, it’s just a shame we didn’t have somebody like him as MD. Wonder if Freddie Fletcher’s knows anybody for us?

• G

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It’s funny, but when we signed Goufran I didn’t rate him at all, in fact I thought he would have turned out to be the worst piece of business in that particular window. Just 11 months later, I am forced to eat me words, and my, they are delicious!

• JAMSHA

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:12 PM

i see sissoko n debuchy are both on 4 yello

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Just read the new fans forum minutes.

I suppose the juicy topic is the banning of NUST after releasing the content from the last meeting before the club released the official minutes.

Well, nothing really new in there. At the end of the day, forget the right or wrongs, it’s still well over the top and completely petty.

Reading on, what I noticed was that all the questions etc were rather tame. Did NUST produce the meaty questions in the previous meet?

On thread…

Hatems better….Spot on. Jonas 2.0 ready for service. That’s not a negative, every club needs someone who is willing to graft for the team. Jonas is struggling to offer in the attack these days, so Goffy is a perfect upgrade imo.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Jamsha…Hasn’t Debuchy had 5? Hence why he’s missing the Norwich game?

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM

De Bruyne would be great but I’m not sure we could get him .

I would go for Marko Marin from Chelsea instead . Currently on loan to Sevila, very tidy player IMO .

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

We should havr bought Gouffran for the £ 3M it would have probably cost to buy him in the summer, what a massive difference it would have made having, him, Debuchy, Haidara and a CB six months earlier.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Jail…But then we may have been able to compete!

Imagine fans thinking that. Absolute disaster.

• MacToon

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Ibiza, it was the FansUTD meeting the other day and not the 2nd fans forum but you’ve hit the nail on the head. NUST are banned from the next meeting because of the questions they asked and answers they managed to get from the club, very revealing answers infact.
    Their (NUST) report and the clubs minutes were not contradictory.

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Correct Ibiza debuchy is missing from the Norwich game which is a shame as I’m making my up the A1 from Ipswich to see my first game this season get your money on 3-0 the lucky charm will be ah SJP last season I only made the Wigan game ….

• Ancientcoptic

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I already thought Gouffran was an excellent signing last season. He is the model professional – never once have I seen his head drop or give up in a game, even when we are behind in a game… Gouffran has winning mentality written all over him. I personally think he could make a great captain.

• Ancientcoptic

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

De Bruyne is terrible from what I have seen of him, one of the most overrated young players I have ever seen. Weak in every department, and would struggle in the Championship right now. He is not good enough to get on our bench.

I have watched Mark Marin a few times this season, and he has been absolutely terrifying defences in La Liga, he runs at defences, and his twists and turns, coupled with his dribbling with the ball very close to his feet can only be comparable to the Messi style of play. (Not that I am saying he is as good as Messi)

• Himanshu Dhingra

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Marko MArin is known as German Messi, but because of the way he looks.

Not bad player, German Intl, Doubt he will be available in Jan.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Talk about spin! Some of you claiming it as fact that NUST are banned from the Fans Forum because of the questions they asked despite them (and them alone) being in breach of what the NUFC Fans Group acknowledge as a rule accepted by all parties.

There were no really daring questions asked from what I have seen in either version of the minutes. I have no reason to doubt the account of everyone who was actually directly involved who says they were banned because they unprofessionally released the minutes early.

NUST were unprofessional (which as an amateur organisation is stupid but surely forgivable) and then NUFC were heavy handed in banning them. As a professional organisation, they could have shown more common sense…but then we also don’t know what went on behind closed doors.

If I truly wanted to be the opposite that some of you paint me as, I could claim that NUFC told NUST several times not to release the minutes but they did it anyway knowing full well that they weren’t supposed to.

But that would be mindless speculation…just as your theory is…

• John Tudor

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM

who said that

• Ibizatoon

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Sorry, started a discussion then disappeared…

Mac…My mistake…how many different fan meets do we need? 🙂

Blaydon…It is a shame, despite his earlier blunders, Debuchy is starting to look the real part and someone we will likely miss on the pitch…luckily it’s just against Norwich (only joking…not tempting fate….honest).

TDSarf…Right, you say “some of you” which would mean more than 1. I hinted at the idea, but certainly didn’t claim fact. MacToons could read as he sees it as fact when really it is his opinion. Hardly anything to write home about.

Anyway…I think it is fairly reasonable to think that there is more to this than them simply releasing the meeting notes before the club. The notes tie in with the official minutes. Given the huge overreaction, which I believe you agree it has been, wouldn’t that lead you on to think that there is more to it?

It certainly does for many other posters. Even if you don’t agree, can you not see how others may get there?

Moving on from that point, I did find the general tone of those questions to be a little weak tbh and yes, that did, for me at least, add fuel to the fire with regards to this “theory”.

That’s all we can work on, theories.