I Don’t Think About The World Cup – I Think About Newcastle

24-year-old Vurnon Anita has only been on Tyneside for fifteen months,  but he’s already shown to Newcastle fans that he’s not only a good player, but he’s also a top class professional, who is now playing very well for the side.

vurnon anita fulham 99

Vurnon Anita – only thinking about Newcastle – good

Vurnon had a bit of a difficult first season on Tyneside last term, although he did manage to make 37 appearances for the side, but now he is in very good form and pushing players like Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye, and whenever he’s come into the  first team this season, he’s looked  a very good player, who is quickly coming to terms with the Premier League.

And in the local papers today he has been asked about his chances of making the Dutch World Cup squad, and this is what he had to say:

“I don’t think about the World Cup, I think about Newcastle.” “If I play a lot here, maybe I get a call from the coach from Holland, and then we look forward.”

“But I take it step by step. First is Newcastle, and to play games here.” “The club is more important for me than the national team now.”  “I must do my best here first, and then we can see what’s next.”

Those are good words from the 5 times capped Dutch International,  and of course his attitude is just spot on.

Vurnon has so far played 48 times for Newcastle with one goal, and we expect the midfielder to get a lot of playing time this season, if he keeps up the very good form he has shown so far this season.

And he’s right to just concentrate on playing well for Newcastle, and everything else will take care of itself.

We’ve always been very impressed with this lad’s positive approach to things at Newcastle, and he;s now looking a good acquisition from Ajax.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Ibizatoon

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Anita! Don’t give Jesper any ideas that he may be right.

This day just went down the toilet. Why do I bother?

• Rainrix

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Well he needs to be starting to even be in contention and i don’t see that happening atm. Not down to his performances obviously but down to pardew.

• Bearsize

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Why does anita have to be on bench? Why cant pardew rotate the midfield? Its one position where we can do this. Other clubs rotate, it prevents fatigue alan!

• Ciaran

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Here’s an interesting factoid that goes out to all those who think that Sports Direct are not directly profiting from Newcastle United.

Are you aware that Sports Direct were paid £500k by Newcastle United for ‘Related Party Transactions’ – what these are is anyone’s guess, but I find it interesting that not only does SD not pay for its own advertising, but what is even more galling is that Newcastle United are paying THEM!

In an age where we are being told that we are supposed to be self-sufficient, am I the only one who finds it incredulous that money is being siphoned off to a company that offers absolutely nothing in return?

• Our Toon

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Good little player, does the basics really well and ball retention is good. TBF to Pards (Who i despise) who would we drop to accommodate him? I would drop Cabaye as cabs brings more to the team in terms of attacking threat, goals, etc. and I would drop Tiote who is really good at winning the ball back and the defensive element in midfield!! The isn’t a defensive midfielder nor is he an attacking midfielder at least his stats aren’t impressive for either roles!! A decent player though (Much hyped like Marvaux)

• Our Toon

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Ciaran,

I cam across that as well, apparently the Merchandise aspect of club is registered in Nottingham and profits go directly to SD and not NUFC even though its club merchandise, makes me wonder how the club are supposed to compete when deprived of advertising revenue as well as merchandise revenue….one for TDS to explain? Would love to see the spin put on that!!

Bearsize – Rotate, fatigue? the players play once a week, we are out of Carling cup have no European games, how on earth is fatigue going to creep in? Clubs that rotate are battling in all competitions, because they have ambition to win something!! the lads will end up playing 45 games max in a season for club that isn’t a massive amount!!

• Ciaran

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

On topic, personally I think Anita is a cracking little midfielder and I would drop Sissoko from a midfield 4 and change it to a midfield 3 of Cabs, Tiote and Anita, with Gouffran, Remy and HBA up front. However, given how well a midfield 4 with Shola up top has served us in the last two games, I would leave that change for a while.

• martoon

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Bearsize @3 – If Pardew rotated players he would get slated even more so than he does now, especially when we get beat – I believe most supporters like to see a settled first eleven.
    I like Anita but it is difficult to fit him into the team at the moment because of the form of Cabaye & Tiote and playing 5 in midfield at home against Norwich would seem a bit negative.

• Ciaran

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Our Toon

Could it a case of the club deliberately directing money elsewhere in order to keep our commercial and merchandising revenue low, so that they can roll Pardew out in front of a camera and cry poverty.

If things were done properly, I would bet that our commercial and merchandising revenues would be back at the levels they were from before Ashley took over. (Commercial revenue has fallen by over 50% in 6 years – around 14 million) – Imagine what we could do with an extra 14 million a season!

• Rainrix

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I think its a case of knowing when to use and utilise tiote and anita for the benefit of the team. Anita works when we have the ball so he can make us flow a lot better. Tiotes more effective when we don’t have the ball as much for example against the bigger teams or when we’re under the cosh as an option from the bench. Against spurs when we didn’t have the ball anita didn’t really have much bearing on the game apart from the odd bit of harrying.

I think it should really go off of form and sissoko though improved hasn’t really been at his best this season. I’d use him as an impact sub where we can use him to stretch the opposition and hit opponents on the break,

• jimmysmith

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

There is not a cinder in snows chance of Paul Dummett playing, while Collocini sits on the bench Ed, as you well know, you cheeky monkey!

• JAMSHA

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

i woild drop sissoko an play anita in there