If Americans Can Get To The Moon – Newcastle Can Do This

Glenn Roeder managed Newcastle from February of 2006, when he replaced the dour Scot Graeme Souness, who  had surprisingly been appointed manager, after Newcastle has sacked Sir Bobby Robson, and Glenn had a great start to his management career by getting Newcastle up to 7th place and back into Europe by May of 2006.

graeme souness newcastle

Graeme Souness at Newcastle – yes – it didn’t go well

But Glenn didn’t fare too well in the next season,  and by the next May he was fired after we had finished in a disappointing 13th place in the Premier League, one place above Manchester City..

Glenn was interviewed yesterday in the local press and thinks Newcastle are good enough to get into the top six this season:

“Surely a team that is full of international players and going to the World Cup should be thinking top six?” “It’s all right saying you have to be realistic.”

“But in football you have to be unrealistic sometimes.” “When they first started talking about flying to the moon, some people probably thought ‘no bloody chance’.”

“But they got there.” “If you want to achieve something big you have to think unrealistically sometimes.” “This team have already proved they can finish fifth.”

“They’ve got two games coming up at home against Norwich and West Brom and they really should be taking six points and using it as the springboard for better things.”

Glenn is right in that to reach a goal you always have to aim high – otherwise there’s a very high likelihood you will fail, which is one reason it’s frustrating that owner Mike Ashley wants Newcastle only to finish in the top 10 as a goal.

Maybe he should just say avoid relegation each year and w;ell be just fine – but the point is we need to be a lot more ambitious.

It reminds us of a quote from the great Bill Shankly, the iconic former Liverpool manager, who had this to say about ambitions and aiming high:

“Aim for the sky and you’ll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you’ll stay on the floor.”

That’s why Newcastle should be aiming a lot higher than only a top 10 position – and if we came out and said we wanted to be in the top six for instance – that would be great.

And remember fortune always favors the brave – and certainly not those who aren’t even willing to go for it – and If you don’t go for things in life the chances are you’ll never reach your goals.

Here endeth the lesson. 😀

We need all 3 points tomorrow.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• martoon

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Maybe I’m wearing my rose tinted glasses but I can’t help but feel that surely top ten was a minimum requirement not the actual target.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Top 8 was our supposed minimum target last season and we finished 16th. Does anyone have a quote from Pardew that states that top 10 is only a minimum requirement not the actual target?

As always, we’ll see come the end of the season.

• Black and White with an army lol

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM

i can’t remember the actual link but i know top 10 finish is our target.

so if we finished 11th Pardew should be sacked but we all know it won’t happen.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

If top 10 is the target, we finish 11th and Pardew isn’t sacked, surely that is ample evidence to suggest that Ashley is content with mid-table mediocrity.

• Black and White with an army lol

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Ciaran

i think i heard after the Chelsea game MA was upset because we won them because he wanted us to be between 12th & 15th but i’m not sure if this is an actual fact.

• Black and White with an army lol

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

it’s weird though because i would of thought MA would want us to finish as high as possible considering it’s more money for him the further up Newcastle go?????

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Black and White with an army lol

Is that a joke or are you an idiot?

• 70TWO

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Glenn Roeder for Director of Football???

In any other organisation there would have at least been more than one candidate and an interview process, but hey.

• toonincheek

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

10th is NOT the target – it is the MINIMUM.

Below that, AP risks the boot, although any
    extenuating circumstances may be taken into
    account.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Ah extenuating circumstances such as having a p*ss poor owner who leaves you short of options year in year out?

• toonincheek

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Ciaran –

Yeah, that’ll do, if AP’s silver tongue
    can make it stick.

• bills-son

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Doesn’t Roeder know the moon landings were faked 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Using any metrics you care to look at (squad value, wages, revenue) we are in the top 8 clubs in the PL. Based on the 16th place finish last year, we can maybe accept the expectations are not set as high as they should be but anything other than top 10 is a failure. We ‘should’ get top 8 but if the top 6 plus Everton perform then we are very unlikely to finish above them.

Extenuating circumstances would be finishing in 11th but 2 points off 7th and 5 points off 6th for example. But finishing clearly bottom half has to be seen as unacceptable.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM

You don’t finish in 16th and then target top 6. The problem with setting a high target is that it’s demoralising if you miss it. If we’re 5 points off 6th with 10 games to go then I expect that to be the new target.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

You also don’t finish 5th and then set a lower target the following season. That is demoralising for your more ambitious players.

• jimmysmith

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Interesting article by Louise Taylor in The Guardian about Ashley’s disaffection with us and ours with him, and the strange lack of interested buyers in a potentially huge club.

Reading heavily and arbitrarily between the lines I think she might be hinting at an imminent sale. Which would be great, not because I think we’d necessarily be better off, just that I’ve well and truly and summararily had a full blown gutful of Mikey.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM

You do if 5th place could reasonably be considered as an overachievement. I don’t remember the target last season but it should have been top 8 as a minimum with retaining the place in the top 6 as the target.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

It was top 8 and we finished 16th. The target this season is now it is top 10. However, we supposedly have a stronger squad this season than we did to begin last season with so why would it be unreasonable then to claim top 8 as the target again for this season? The constant scaling down of targets does not breed confidence among fans who think MA has no ambition for this club.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

*is now top 10 that should read.

• Sav

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM

With the BT money coming in in a couple of years, the league will be more stratified than ever. I don’t agree with it and it makes a joke of Platini and his FFP but if we want to get on the gravy train, the time to invest is now.

• Jeff from Benwell

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

For the idle ones who can’t be arsed to sort thru the above it is item 2 and it says –
    “we want to finish in the top ten this season”

NOT
    Ashley is happy with 10th forever.

No wonder he barred NUST from the forum

• clinath@ed

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

broken link Jeff

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Gradual progression is the right way to go about things, not boom and bust like we’ve constantly had at our club. It seems that we’re always fighting relegation or challenging to get into Europe. It’s exciting but it’s not the right way to build the club.

Targets have to be realistic and don’t have to be the only target that season. We have to assess how good the newer players actually are too. Top 10 has to be the minimum though. Absolute minimum.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Jeff

Think you’ve made a quantum leap there pal. No one is saying that simply because MA has said 10th is the target this season that that alone is the reason we believe he is aiming for mid-table mediocrity every season.

The constant lack of investment would be more indicative of Ashley’s ambitions for this club than any statement you can pull from the internet.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

No doubt if we finish outside the top 10 you’ll have a list of extenuating circumstances at the ready to justify Ashley’s inevitable decision to stick with Pardew for another year.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

If I was the owner then I’d have put out the public statement that top 10 is our minimum target this season but if I was the manager then I’d be telling the players that they can push the top 6. I’m pretty sure that Southampton are not thinking that they need to stay in the top half but there will be some among them who hope they can sneak a Europa League place.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Ciaran

Nice to see you being relatively civil today…

And no. I’ve stated on several occasions that if we do not finish in top 10 this season then Pardew has to go. As I said above, extenuating circumstances may be if we’re in 11th and 10 points ahead of 12th but 2 points behind 7th and 5 behind 6th, but that would be a pretty extreme situation.

Essentially, bottom half and I want Pardew gone, no excuses after last season.

I’ve said that before and unlike some people, I don’t do extreme shifts of opinion.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

And with your condescension, you’ve lost me.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

We have players to match a lot of teams. All we can do is go out to win every game.

Even if tenth is the target it doesn’t mean that if we are 5th with 4 games to go we try to lose everyone.

I imagine their are a variety of targets, minimum and then expected. Then no matter the outcome there should be a meeting at the end of the season to discuss what went right/wrong and who’s fault it was…manager/JFK/Ashley etc.

Then there should be plans in place to say we need x to get this position, y to achieve that, etc etc then reasses targets again.

I have no idea what goes on, a one or two sentence quote from pardew won’t cover all the points in detail to know exact targets and goals.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

You really need to work on your people skills if you’re going to be an effective PR monkey for Ashley.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Ciaran

Do you want me to apologise? You could take it with a sense of humour rather than being so on edge. You could even admit that you overreact sometimes and we could have a civil discussion…

Anyway……there’s my statement, you’re welcome to throw it in my face at the end of the season if we finish a clear bottom half and I flip flop into thinking that Pardew deserves more time. But I won’t…and hopefully we won’t anyway…

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I think Mike Ashley is a complete pr**k. I think I’d be fired for saying that if I worked for him.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I’ve tried the reasonable approach with you, so your ‘I’m the reasonable guy here’ nonsense does not wash with me. I don’t trust you when you say you’re a Newcastle United supporter so why would I wish to discuss anything with you. You’re a snake in the grass.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Ciaran

You actually think I’d bother coming on here to discuss all matters NUFC if I wasn’t a Newcastle fan???

Today you have been reasonable and I thanked you for as much, what more do you want?

In all areas of my life I question the status quo and inspire debate. If everyone on here was saying how great Ashley and Pardew is, then I’d be the person who says that things look good but I couldn’t see us getting top 4/6 whatever because I see weaknesses. I don’t really get carried away with the emotion as much as some people. That is until I’m sat in the stadium or even watching a close game on TV…

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

TDsarf.
    SHUT UP.
    As much as I dislike the Ashley regime I cannot believe for a minute he was upset at the Chelsea victory, unless of course he’s a really big Chelsea fan.

• bills-son

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Tds,

I don’t know why you bother engaging with Ruddy.

Total waste of time.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I don’t need your thanks, the very fact that you think I do serves to show how ego-centric you really are.

For your information, I think you will find that all my criticisms of Mike Ashley are reasonable. Whereas defences of him are based on blind speculation and sheer hope, criticisms are based on things he has actually done.

As for your reasons for being here, well you know where I stand on that.

• Belfast

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

What’s the point of us even finishing in the top 6 anyway? When we won’t invest the money required in the summer, we’ll be relegation fodder again…

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Laurel has had his go, and now it is time for Hardy…

Debate is going to be dead, ironic given how he so loves to inspire it.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:09 PM

JfA

What are you on about then? I questioned the person who suggested that he was!