The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

If Americans Can Get To The Moon – Newcastle Can Do This

10:06 am, Friday, November 22nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 99 Comments

Glenn Roeder managed Newcastle from February of 2006, when he replaced the dour Scot Graeme Souness, who  had surprisingly been appointed manager, after Newcastle has sacked Sir Bobby Robson, and Glenn had a great start to his management career by getting Newcastle up to 7th place and back into Europe by May of 2006.

graeme souness newcastle

Graeme Souness at Newcastle – yes – it didn’t go well

But Glenn didn’t fare too well in the next season,  and by the next May he was fired after we had finished in a disappointing 13th place in the Premier League, one place above Manchester City..

Glenn was interviewed yesterday in the local press and thinks Newcastle are good enough to get into the top six this season:

“Surely a team that is full of international players and going to the World Cup should be thinking top six?” “It’s all right saying you have to be realistic.”

“But in football you have to be unrealistic sometimes.” “When they first started talking about flying to the moon, some people probably thought ‘no bloody chance’.”

“But they got there.” “If you want to achieve something big you have to think unrealistically sometimes.” “This team have already proved they can finish fifth.”

“They’ve got two games coming up at home against Norwich and West Brom and they really should be taking six points and using it as the springboard for better things.”

Glenn is right in that to reach a goal you always have to aim high – otherwise there’s a very high likelihood you will fail, which is one reason it’s frustrating that owner Mike Ashley wants Newcastle only to finish in the top 10 as a goal.

Maybe he should just say avoid relegation each year and w;ell be just fine – but the point is we need to be a lot more ambitious.

It reminds us of a quote from the great Bill Shankly, the iconic former Liverpool manager, who had this to say about ambitions and aiming high:

“Aim for the sky and you’ll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you’ll stay on the floor.”

That’s why Newcastle should be aiming a lot higher than only a top 10 position – and if we came out and said we wanted to be in the top six for instance – that would be great.

And remember fortune always favors the brave – and certainly not those who aren’t even willing to go for it – and If you don’t go for things in life the chances are you’ll never reach your goals.

Here endeth the lesson. :D

We need all 3 points tomorrow.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

99 responses so far ↓

• 1 martoon // Nov 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Maybe I’m wearing my rose tinted glasses but I can’t help but feel that surely top ten was a minimum requirement not the actual target.

• 2 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Top 8 was our supposed minimum target last season and we finished 16th. Does anyone have a quote from Pardew that states that top 10 is only a minimum requirement not the actual target?

As always, we’ll see come the end of the season.

• 3 Black and White with an army lol // Nov 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM

i can’t remember the actual link but i know top 10 finish is our target.

so if we finished 11th Pardew should be sacked but we all know it won’t happen.

• 4 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

If top 10 is the target, we finish 11th and Pardew isn’t sacked, surely that is ample evidence to suggest that Ashley is content with mid-table mediocrity.

• 5 Black and White with an army lol // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Ciaran

i think i heard after the Chelsea game MA was upset because we won them because he wanted us to be between 12th & 15th but i’m not sure if this is an actual fact.

• 6 Black and White with an army lol // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

it’s weird though because i would of thought MA would want us to finish as high as possible considering it’s more money for him the further up Newcastle go?????

• 7 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Black and White with an army lol

Is that a joke or are you an idiot?

• 8 70TWO // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Glenn Roeder for Director of Football???

In any other organisation there would have at least been more than one candidate and an interview process, but hey.

• 9 toonincheek // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

10th is NOT the target – it is the MINIMUM.

Below that, AP risks the boot, although any
    extenuating circumstances may be taken into
    account.

• 10 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Ah extenuating circumstances such as having a p*ss poor owner who leaves you short of options year in year out?

• 11 toonincheek // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Ciaran -

Yeah, that’ll do, if AP’s silver tongue
    can make it stick.

• 12 bills-son // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Doesn’t Roeder know the moon landings were faked :-)

• 13 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Using any metrics you care to look at (squad value, wages, revenue) we are in the top 8 clubs in the PL. Based on the 16th place finish last year, we can maybe accept the expectations are not set as high as they should be but anything other than top 10 is a failure. We ‘should’ get top 8 but if the top 6 plus Everton perform then we are very unlikely to finish above them.

Extenuating circumstances would be finishing in 11th but 2 points off 7th and 5 points off 6th for example. But finishing clearly bottom half has to be seen as unacceptable.

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM

You don’t finish in 16th and then target top 6. The problem with setting a high target is that it’s demoralising if you miss it. If we’re 5 points off 6th with 10 games to go then I expect that to be the new target.

• 15 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

You also don’t finish 5th and then set a lower target the following season. That is demoralising for your more ambitious players.

• 16 jimmysmith // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Interesting article by Louise Taylor in The Guardian about Ashley’s disaffection with us and ours with him, and the strange lack of interested buyers in a potentially huge club.

Reading heavily and arbitrarily between the lines I think she might be hinting at an imminent sale. Which would be great, not because I think we’d necessarily be better off, just that I’ve well and truly and summararily had a full blown gutful of Mikey.

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM

You do if 5th place could reasonably be considered as an overachievement. I don’t remember the target last season but it should have been top 8 as a minimum with retaining the place in the top 6 as the target.

• 18 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

It was top 8 and we finished 16th. The target this season is now it is top 10. However, we supposedly have a stronger squad this season than we did to begin last season with so why would it be unreasonable then to claim top 8 as the target again for this season? The constant scaling down of targets does not breed confidence among fans who think MA has no ambition for this club.

• 19 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

*is now top 10 that should read.

• 20 Sav // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM

With the BT money coming in in a couple of years, the league will be more stratified than ever. I don’t agree with it and it makes a joke of Platini and his FFP but if we want to get on the gravy train, the time to invest is now.

• 21 Jeff from Benwell // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

For the idle ones who can’t be arsed to sort thru the above it is item 2 and it says -
    “we want to finish in the top ten this season”

NOT
    Ashley is happy with 10th forever.

No wonder he barred NUST from the forum

• 22 clinath@ed // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

broken link Jeff

• 23 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Gradual progression is the right way to go about things, not boom and bust like we’ve constantly had at our club. It seems that we’re always fighting relegation or challenging to get into Europe. It’s exciting but it’s not the right way to build the club.

Targets have to be realistic and don’t have to be the only target that season. We have to assess how good the newer players actually are too. Top 10 has to be the minimum though. Absolute minimum.

• 24 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Jeff

Think you’ve made a quantum leap there pal. No one is saying that simply because MA has said 10th is the target this season that that alone is the reason we believe he is aiming for mid-table mediocrity every season.

The constant lack of investment would be more indicative of Ashley’s ambitions for this club than any statement you can pull from the internet.

• 25 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

No doubt if we finish outside the top 10 you’ll have a list of extenuating circumstances at the ready to justify Ashley’s inevitable decision to stick with Pardew for another year.

• 26 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

If I was the owner then I’d have put out the public statement that top 10 is our minimum target this season but if I was the manager then I’d be telling the players that they can push the top 6. I’m pretty sure that Southampton are not thinking that they need to stay in the top half but there will be some among them who hope they can sneak a Europa League place.

• 27 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Ciaran

Nice to see you being relatively civil today…

And no. I’ve stated on several occasions that if we do not finish in top 10 this season then Pardew has to go. As I said above, extenuating circumstances may be if we’re in 11th and 10 points ahead of 12th but 2 points behind 7th and 5 behind 6th, but that would be a pretty extreme situation.

Essentially, bottom half and I want Pardew gone, no excuses after last season.

I’ve said that before and unlike some people, I don’t do extreme shifts of opinion.

• 28 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

And with your condescension, you’ve lost me.

• 29 Transfer Sage // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

We have players to match a lot of teams. All we can do is go out to win every game.

Even if tenth is the target it doesn’t mean that if we are 5th with 4 games to go we try to lose everyone.

I imagine their are a variety of targets, minimum and then expected. Then no matter the outcome there should be a meeting at the end of the season to discuss what went right/wrong and who’s fault it was…manager/JFK/Ashley etc.

Then there should be plans in place to say we need x to get this position, y to achieve that, etc etc then reasses targets again.

I have no idea what goes on, a one or two sentence quote from pardew won’t cover all the points in detail to know exact targets and goals.

• 30 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

You really need to work on your people skills if you’re going to be an effective PR monkey for Ashley.

• 31 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Ciaran

Do you want me to apologise? You could take it with a sense of humour rather than being so on edge. You could even admit that you overreact sometimes and we could have a civil discussion…

Anyway……there’s my statement, you’re welcome to throw it in my face at the end of the season if we finish a clear bottom half and I flip flop into thinking that Pardew deserves more time. But I won’t…and hopefully we won’t anyway…

• 32 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I think Mike Ashley is a complete pr**k. I think I’d be fired for saying that if I worked for him.

• 33 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I’ve tried the reasonable approach with you, so your ‘I’m the reasonable guy here’ nonsense does not wash with me. I don’t trust you when you say you’re a Newcastle United supporter so why would I wish to discuss anything with you. You’re a snake in the grass.

• 34 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Ciaran

You actually think I’d bother coming on here to discuss all matters NUFC if I wasn’t a Newcastle fan???

Today you have been reasonable and I thanked you for as much, what more do you want?

In all areas of my life I question the status quo and inspire debate. If everyone on here was saying how great Ashley and Pardew is, then I’d be the person who says that things look good but I couldn’t see us getting top 4/6 whatever because I see weaknesses. I don’t really get carried away with the emotion as much as some people. That is until I’m sat in the stadium or even watching a close game on TV…

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

TDsarf.
    SHUT UP.
    As much as I dislike the Ashley regime I cannot believe for a minute he was upset at the Chelsea victory, unless of course he’s a really big Chelsea fan.

• 36 bills-son // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Tds,

I don’t know why you bother engaging with Ruddy.

Total waste of time.

• 37 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I don’t need your thanks, the very fact that you think I do serves to show how ego-centric you really are.

For your information, I think you will find that all my criticisms of Mike Ashley are reasonable. Whereas defences of him are based on blind speculation and sheer hope, criticisms are based on things he has actually done.

As for your reasons for being here, well you know where I stand on that.

• 38 Belfast // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

What’s the point of us even finishing in the top 6 anyway? When we won’t invest the money required in the summer, we’ll be relegation fodder again…

• 39 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Laurel has had his go, and now it is time for Hardy…

Debate is going to be dead, ironic given how he so loves to inspire it.

• 40 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:09 PM

JfA

What are you on about then? I questioned the person who suggested that he was!

• 41 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Ciaran

Oh dear…all you had to do was let my comment slide or laugh it off and we could have continued to have a reasonable debate. It was all going so well…

I withdraw…say what you like…

• 42 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

All you had to do was not be such an egotistical self centred know it all, or is that me being an opinionated little toad?

Find it hard to engage with someone who spent a lot of time debasing himself with crude insults directed at me. Even harder to engage with someone who does that AND tries to spin every little instance in MA’s favour.

• 43 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM

bills

To be fair, he was making some decent comments and we were having a proper conversation to begin with, otherwise I wouldn’t have even engaged! Then I just made a light-hearted comment about having a civil discussion and he kicked off. I hate to think what his blood pressure is…

Anyway…Norwich…

• 44 JackButler // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Patronising is an understatement

• 45 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Blood pressure is totally fine, I simply do not like you.

For the record, I always make decent comments ;)

• 46 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I wonder if another poll is in order…seeing as many of the more regular posters on here seem to think either:
    a) we will not sign anyone in Jan OR
    b) we will not sign anyone in Jan unless we are in danger of relegation

I wonder how many are willing to put their comments on record…

• 47 Ted Bundy // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Don’t think there’s a bigger turn-off from this blog than logging in to see this extruded, tedious feud rumble on. TDS – why bother with Ruddy? The guy boasts on his own profile on his site that he is biased, so he’s obviously looking any which way he can to confirm that, with the same pig-headed fervour and absolutism he once praised the regime and Pardew with.

He’d never make a great scientist, despite his purported evidence based bluster. The guy would make a great a clinical study in projection, also.

• 48 JackButler // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM

ToonDarnSarf

Trying to collate more data again???

• 49 lesh // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM

TDS, Sharon……come on now, get a grip and wipe your eyes, the pair of you.

You’re being silly and any more, you’ll be on the naughty step then made to watch Sunderland!

• 50 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Ted

I’m sorry…as I said, he was actually being reasonable with his initial comment to me and I just thought maybe he’d remembered to take his pills this morning!

Then it just devolved into a mess…I’m done now though, I promise!

• 51 Belfast // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Good time for a group hug ?

• 52 Ciaran // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Ted

I would a great study on projection? With a name like yours I’d think you’d be a better subject.

Good to see you read my blog though

• 53 bills-son // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Tds,

The fact that Ruddy thinks you are a plant working for Ashley says it all.

With that idea in his head :-) he will always be one step away from throwing an insult and reasonable debate is not on his agenda.

• 54 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Lads, I think we might bring a couple of players in during Jan window but also believe that Ashley wants as less success on the pitch as he found out last season that Europe needs investment!! He won’t want to invest too heavily. I also believe that Cabaye and Collo will be off in the summer at the very latest to fund new signings, as long as we have the policy of any bid £20m+ equates to a purple leaving then there can be no progression, it’s a case of 1 step forward and 2 steps back because these top players will be replaced by a 5m gamble rather than a 15m recognised replacement.

I’ve mentioned this before but Cabaye seemed pretty annoyed and as if he wanted to tell the truth when he said “you would have to ask JFK” I think he wanted to leave and we were happy to let him go…but when that backfired we blamed the player. I hate everything this regime stands for. Someone mentioned we have a squad capable of top 6, yes we do but we have a manager who is incapable, before ppl mention finishing 5th might I remind them to look at the blokes record, a lot went for us the season we finished 5th!!

• 55 Transfer Sage // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I think it’s impossible to say what the club will do.

The only certainty in transfer is we buy if in danger of going down…happened 1 out of 1 times so still not much evidence.

Every other window has been random, bought cisse when going well but then finished 5th and only got anita. Struggled last season then only bought remy but summer after carroll left we bought 3/4 in.

It seems the club only buys when it needs to or when they get a player they want for a value they like. Other than that prepared to wait.

But again, it’s difficult to say conclusively what will happen.

I prefer to just enjoy the football then see what happens in the transfer window, no point worrying about it in the 6 months building up.

• 56 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM

JB

Why not? It’s interesting to get people’s views on record and at least it means that people can brag if they get it right and be shown up if they get it wrong!

• 57 Ted Bundy // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I didn’t read any of your spurious spew. People should be redirected there if they wish to enact penance, only worthy service it could provide.

• 58 Transfer Sage // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

our toon

have spurs moved forward in the past 8 years? yes. have they sold for good value? yes

berbatov, carrick, keane, crouch, modric, bale….all sold on to ‘bigger clubs’ to get there money to then invest in more players.

not saying we invest the same way but selling a top player every year or two isn’t a sign the club can’t progress.

• 59 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Bills

I know…it’s an amusing contradiction that they claim that Mike Ashley doesn’t care about the fans but that he also keeps doing things to change the view of the fans…

Anyway…I think a couple of signings in Jan and I think the France thing is excellent news as surely none of the French players will be willing to rock the boat and risk a Jan move that doesn’t work out.

• 60 JackButler // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM

ToonDarnSarf

There are no certainties in this game and everyone’s views change depending on what happens at the club…………….but you saying that people can “Brag” if they get it right or can be “Shown up” is they get it wrong is a very telling statement to be honest.

This isn’t a points scoring blog, it’s about all the differing views on the club, it’s about discussion and opinion not trying to get one up on another fan who posts his or her own personal opinion

• 61 Transfer Sage // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Jack

Sort of agree there. Things change so quick in football nailing a opinion down is silly.

If Ashley spends 100mil in January I don’t think anyone would call him tight. If he sold 5 top players and signed nobody everyone would hate the man. Things can change very easily.

• 62 JackButler // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Transfer Sage

Th next window will be very telling as right now we are doing very well in the league but adding two or three players to the squad is still needed, if we sign no one again it will show that last January’s splurge was simply a reaction to the threat of relegation

• 63 Himanshu Dhingra // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Sorry, if it has been posted.

But, we are tracking Diego Capel from SC Lisbon.

• 64 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM

TS

We should follow the Spurs model but they’ve had consistent top 10 finishes for the last 10 years. Even if we see 16th as a blip, we’re only in our 4th year in that process.

That’s why I don’t think we should see an 8th or 9th place finish as a negative. We need a few more of those in a row before we can start to think we have enough right to really push forward.

And as you say, if we sell and buy well then it doesn’t matter if we’re losing a top player. Even Arsenal and Man Utd have lost players they didn’t want to.

• 65 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Transfer Sage:

Spurs held out on Bale, they could have got £40m for him last season but he was worth more than that to them. £85m is a very good, think we can all agree that no one is worth that kind of money…The players they have bought will come good but they invested every single penny back into the club (unlike Ashley). £32m for a sulky bit brilliant Berbatov, again a good deal but they didn’t replace him or Keane (in Jan)…. Director of Football Damien Comolli was sacked, after criticism of the sales of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane and failure to replace them adequately. Can’t see that happening with JFK can you?

The players you have mentioned that Spurs sold, yep agree they have sold some really good players but have spent more than what they sold…We won’t sell Cabaye and replace him with a £20m midfielder? Berba was sold, in came Pavlychenko (didn’t do well) and Defoe as well as Robbie Keane who was later sold in the same January…they spent just under £45m in that window to replace 1 player with 3, as for Crouch the guy couldn’t get into the first team sold following season for £10m, in came VDV as well when Berba was sold.

Please don’t compare us to a team that is not shy to spend and will replace players with intention of like for like. As much as I hate to say it….a team with ambition

• 66 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM

JB

Fine. Then if people are saying “I’m concerned that we might not bring anyone in in January” and is open to debate with people, like me, who think they will then it’s ok. But when the comments are “No way will we sign anyone in January because Mike Ashley is a greedy git”, then those people need to be held to account when their statements of fact are proven to be ridiculous.

• 67 JackButler // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

ToonDarnSarf

You are arguing semantics again.

• 68 bills-son // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Ashley clearly will not spend the few hundred million that it would take to challenge for the title and Champs Lge every season and whether we call it unambitious, realistic or whatever I doubt any of us would argue he won’t be spending that amount of money.

That leaves us with challenging for 5th to 8th at best and the cups.

Unless we get an Abramovich or Sheik nothing will change – and a new owner outside of that type of money could see us doing worse not better than under Ashley.

The difference with the Prem is that unlike Spain, Germany or Italy we have four mega rich clubs, City, ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal challenging for four Champs Lge places + Lpool and Spurs with big clout. The teams that miss out on the Champs Lge run the risk of losing millions.

Any new owner considering buying us or any team outside of the top four knows that 5,6 or 7 teams into 4 Champs Lge places doesn’t go.

I’d love a new owner to take it on – but I just can’t see it happening.

• 69 Transfer Sage // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Our toon

Read my post again.

I said we didn’t show the same ambition in buying as spurs.

My point was that sellin your best players for high fees doesn’t mean you can’t progress.

• 70 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

TDS:

Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Citeh, Liverpool, these clubs will lose big named players but they will replace them by spending big. Also these clubs have many top players we have a couple at best, Utd and Liverfool showed this summer though that same players are off the market because they can’t be replaced, Rooney because RVP is in 30’s and doesn’t have long left and Suarez who is just the best CF in the league, if that was us these guys would have been gone and replaced with a £5m replacement or 9m at best!! E.G. Carroll brilliant deal for us (even tho I was miffed at the time) but what cabaye brings to us is what Rooney or Suarez bring to their respective clubs.

We don’t have squads like the bigger teams, they can take a hit of a big player leaving

• 71 Transfer Sage // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Bills

If the clubs plan is to buy in January every year (I have no idea) then it’s good to have steady progress of buying and selling to gradually build a better and better team.

That keeps me happy, not overly bothered with trophies as ne’er seen us win one, just want good football and us to give most teams a good tough game

• 72 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM

JB

I don’t think I am. People can’t keep shouting about this or that and then change when they are proven wrong. There are people before the summer who said that no way would we sign a striker, then claimed afterwards that we didn’t sign anyone permanently despite Remy being a very good striker and year for at least the season.

• 73 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM

TS

I know what you were saying but I wouldn’t have highlighted the issue of 1 step forward 2 back irrelevant of who we buy because a purple will go. I only bought up that scenario because we won’t progress under this regime with the way things are structured

• 74 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Our Toon

Did Arsenal really replace RvP or Fabregas? Did Liverpool really replace Owen?

We can only spend the money that we have, we know that’s the policy of the club

• 75 JackButler // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM

bills-son

What some people on here fail to see is that most of us who have an issue with Ashley have that issue because of his actions as our owner. It’s not because he’s unwilling to spend hundreds of million’s, it because of his actions in treating people like Houhgton, KK, Shearer with complete disregard, renaming the stadium, the Wonga deal, the free advertising for his grubby little retail store, banning the media for having the audacity to report on the fan’s march, banning NUST, selling players for massive profit and failing to replace them, employing idiots like Kinnear, basically failing to do what is right for the club, the list is endless.

Yes he’s done a lot of good thing at the club, but the negatives far out weight the positives.

Do we need new players to come in next January?

Yes we do.

Do we need to spend stupid amounts of money to get them in?

No we don’t, as we’ve already proven, but there has to be a willingness to improve for something other than simply surviving

• 76 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM

No disputing Remy is a good CF but its early in the season hopefully it continues and he doesn’t run out of steam by the time Jan comes round!! Here is a lad playing for himself that is my issue with loans, the loanee is looking to impress anyone/everyone!! A club such as ours, top 20 for revenues shouldn’t be loaning players without signing some permanently.

• 77 low fell mag // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Any chance we can talk about the game tomorrow.
    Ignore Ciaran @ Jfa ,they talk crap and bore the Tits off you .
    Any way back to the game.
    Great to see the French lads get the result they wanted, therefore they will be on a high ,and they will be looking forward to the Norwich game.
    Shola is also on his way to Brazil, so watch out you Canaries.
    Nufc 3 Norwich 1

• 78 JackButler // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM

ToonDarnSarf

You are missing the point, this isn’t about proving people wrong, there is no points scoring on here, thats what you seem to be looking for but fail to understand that its simply views and opinions based on where we are and what has been done in the past under Ashley.

• 79 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM

JB

And here’s me thinking this is about what is happening with NUFC and what is going to happen in the next game? Yet you and others seem to be hung up on what has happened in the past under Mike Ashley.

• 80 JackButler // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

ToonDarnSarf

It’s because of what he has done in the past that has bred the distrust in what he’s doing now and going to do in the future.

He has set the tone, we are simply reacting to it

• 81 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

TDS

Some players are irreplaceable, Fabregas and RVP, but Arsenal had Nasri performing well and obviously felt they could sell Fabregas, I’m pretty sure they had a strong enough squad with enough quality in the team to ensure they finished 4th or above!! They have Ozil now though. Take a Cabaye out of our team, how do you think we would fare? Silly comments such as did Arsenal replace x y or z is what your issue is (Arsenal have multiple purples we have 2 at most)!! They actually have a squad of players that would walk into our team incl there back up players!! He looked at players coming through and had Wiltshire, Ramsey, Diaby, Nasri, (who he even said disappointed him the most by leaving). RVP he tried to replace with Suarez!! But bought Giroud who is doing a good job for them.

Anymore daft like for like comparisons between us and unfortunately bigger teams with bigger ambition!!

• 82 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

JB

I know what he’s done in the past but there’s no point in dwelling on it, we are where we are and we’re being run the way we’re being run.

Why can’t people just look at the future within the constraints that we have? We don’t have a world class manager like SBR, we don’t have a charming and engaging chairman like SJH and we don’t have a squad full of exciting and attacking players like we once had. Football has changed, the PL has changed, other clubs have changed and NUFC have changed. Things can’t always be on the up and up.

• 83 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Our Toon

Yes. Bigger clubs with more ambition because they have better squads and more money!

My point is if Arsenal can lose players like Fabregas, RvP and Nasri, then it’s a bit rich with people going mental at Mike Ashley when that hasn’t even happened to us much at all!

• 84 JackButler // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM

ToonDarnSarf

Simply because people, myself included, do not trust the man. I know we are not going to challenge for the title under Ashley and thats fine as we simply do not have an owner who is unwilling to spend the type of money needed to form that challenge.

And seeing SD, Firetrap etc etc plastered all over SJP is not in the past, it’s a clear message that he is still doing what suits him and not the club……………………….and before you go off about how much the advertising is worth! its not the point of how much it’s worth, its the principle and a sure sign of how he is using us

• 85 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM

JB

There are only 2 ways possible that we could ever challenge for the title again:
    1 – massive investment from a multi-billionaire while skirting around the FFP rules
    2 – gradual but significant investment and progress over 5 years or more

The club can progress gradually and if the finances also look better then we’re more flexible to take advantage of opportunities in the transfer market. I really don’t like Mike Ashley as owner of our club, but I think there are worse things and we can still enjoy the football can’t we?

• 86 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM

TDS

It hasn’t happened to us YET, but it is around the corner. Just for once stop the Ashley PR machine on here and look at the facts, Arsenal owners have stated time and time again that money is there to spend, they bought a new stadium cut spending for a bit but got a fantastic deal by naming the stadium Emirates (Advertising money) They spent £40m on Ozil thay bought Carzola for £15m, Chamberlin and many more, but they have spent is the point!! We currently sit bottom of net transfer spend over the time Ashley has been owner!!

The bottom line is these Arsenal players that did leave was all down to winning trophies, they were at a club where the manager refused to spend big they became disillusioned and left. Now look at us, we have no ambition why should Cabaye want to stay? Why would Remy want to sign for a club that is bottom of the table in net spend and shows no ambition. Players will leave whether Ashley sells them for money or he is forced to sell them because they are unhappy it will happen because this regime has no ambition.

• 87 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Our Toon

Your points in that last comment are so full of ignorant garbage that I can’t even be bothered to respond to those points.

I could put a similar amount of spin on the situation, how about this?
    – we signed the most players in January, therefore Ashley clearly favours this transfer window. I expect at least 2 excellent signings in Jan
    – we sold Carroll for £35M and we have bought excellent players like Cabaye, Tiote, Goofy, Sissoko etc. that have only gone up in value and are being chased by CL clubs
    – only last January, and despite being in danger of relegation, we were able to attract French internationals to our club
    – our wage bill is still the 7th or 8th highest in the PL proving that MA is willing to pay decent money

None of that proves that the situation is rosy, but I don’t actually believe it does.

Your last comment is so full of bias I’d almost think it was posted by a mackem…

• 88 70TWO // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Our Toon
    The accusation that Ashley lacks ambition does not sit well with me, as the owner and investor he wants to make money. He has enough business knowledge about him to know how to make money work for him rather than the other way around.
    A couple of seasons in the top half of the league and he (or SD) will either be able to sell, or continue to get richer incrementally. Football is an integral part of how much can be generated, these are the parameters within which he works. Fans want change, but for what exactly? Some other rich owner who will do exactly the same, but more than likely put NUFC in huge debt. How do you get change? Shout, bawl and hurl insults at Ashley or negotiate?

• 89 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Our Toon

Actually…another point…anyone who goes on about something negative and then starts a point by admitting that it hasn’t happened YET but it’s around the corner, they lose all credibility. You can’t criticise the club for something that hasn’t happened just because you think it might!

• 90 cyprus // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Ed,
    I’ll have to concur with some other posters above. This,
    “it’s frustrating that owner Mike Ashley wants Newcastle only to finish in the top 10 as a goal” was not (at least officially) said by Mike, unless you know something I don’t. AP said that and a lot worse, like ‘educating the fans’ etc. Now, you could say that AP is MA’s dog so, therefore… but you don’t. In fact, you routinely shower AP with praise, so make up your mind :) Are they one and the same or not?

Anyway, to the subject. Glen did not do that bad, in fact AP did worse. I like what he says and his dig (“you have a team full of internationals”), so it’s up to AP to get them performing.

I’m more critical of AP than MA because it’s HIS job to get these internationals performing, not Mike’s. If AP ends up lower than tenth, then his ass is grass as they say over there Ed.

• 91 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Cyprus

Well said. I happen to think that despite Mike’s pathetic ability to foster the relationship between club and fans, he’s provided a squad that is good enough for top 8 in the PL. If we don’t achieve top 10 at least, then it’s Pardew’s fault and he needs to go, not Ashley’s fault.

Sure, we’re clearly a striker light, but at least we haven’t got Bendtner as our 2nd choice striker…

• 92 catchy in norway // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

TDS

who are the big name players at ARS now?

they don’t have many, im not saying they have crap players, but there squad is not an expensive squad,,

he plays kids with promise, along with decent footballers, teams have a philosophy drilled into them by the manager,

IMO people look at the name of the club before the players they have,, there is a false sense going around that clubs like ours our not big clubs and that only clubs like Man u Che Ars are big clubs,, well that’s all bullshit,
    out of those 3 only Chelsea have a big squad, both ars and man u have very average squads and not any better than ours,

we have 2 issues wrong with our club

1, owner, he may want what is best for our club, but has a very sick way of showing it,

2. regardless of the owner, a manager does not need the owner to get things right on the pitch, we have a very shocking manager when it comes to all things football,
    a bad manager can make good players look bad, a good manager can make average players look like super stars,

our manager relies on individual skill rather than a team performance, he has no clue how to run a football club,

• 93 bills-son // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Catchy,

Our manager relies on individual skill rather than a team performance?

Was that the case against Lpool, City, Chelsea or Spurs? All excellent team performances.

You keep saying Pardew is the worst manager in the Prem etc., etc., etc. Even the players who have left the club haven’t criticized him so my guess is you are talking cr@p.

• 94 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

TDS

If I’m not mistaken Mackems will tell you that they enjoy having Ashley in charge and his decisions speak for themselves!! You can’t be bothered to respond because your head is so far up Ashley’s rear end it’s unbelievable!! The season starts in August not January. Every other club we are competing against buys in the summer and will also invest in the winter window some more than others, the players have no aligence to our club they want to play for a club that has ambition (maybe why remy picked QPR ahead of us) http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html take a look at that, that is over 5 years!! Made sense to spend in Jan as much as we did, cost of relagation £40m+.

Two70: He lacks ambition, stating that finishing 10th and no cup runs implies to me we have no ambition. The manager coming out and stating he is glad we are out of Europe smacks me with a regime with no ambition, a manager who is saying all summer we need a minimum of a couple of bodies and then retracts that when window shuts smacks me with a regime with no ambition. An owner who is only interested in SD rather than both investments looks to me like someone who is unambitious, free advertising and not maximising revenues which have dropped considerably under this regime is unambitious and takes away from the clubs profitability, SD continues to rise as NUFC remains above water (relegation)

Look Bendtner maybe there 2nd choice but we can’t really comment because Shola is our 2nd choice!! I think Pards should have had assistance this summer and rather than JFK joining we should have gone for the fella who just joined Fulham René Meulensteen, that would have been showing ambition, instead we got ranting JFK

• 95 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM

catchy

No, you’re completely wrong there!

Arsenal have a wage bill that is miles bigger than ours, their revenue is at least double ours from what I remember.

They have a fantastic squad of some top players and a world class manager. They have also not won a trophy for 8 years and their fans are accusing their owners of being satisfied with qualifying for the CL every season…

If you seriously think that our squad is on a par with Man Utd’s and Arsenal’s then there really is no hope for you…

• 96 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

66ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM

JB

Does this mean you will retract your statement about Sports Direct having no input into NUFC club merchandise and the rangers kits popping up on the website was complete bullsh*t then and apologise to all those you called idiots and conspiracy theorists then?

• 97 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Our Toon

Have you considered that the last 5 years include when we were relegated, had to sell several of our top players and Mike Ashley had to put in £29M to keep us afloat?!

• 98 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

TDS

The season we got relegated was down to the mismanagement of Ashley, now the club owes him an extra £40m which he needed to inject because of his mistakes…he did learn from it hence the investment last Jan, bringing JFK back is a shocking decision though!! Unlike others I feel we will sign players this winter window but investment is needed in the summer to put us on a level playing field with everyone else

• 99 mindshaft // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Think everyone knows that we massively overachieved the season we finished 5th when our target for the season was 10th followed by a massive underachievement the following season when again we had the same target of 10th or better.
    I guess given our two previous seasons top half is as good a target as we can expect but the reality is that we should have invested after overachieving
    Ultimately we don’t have the funds to finish top four and although fans would like to get a Europa place it’s obvious that Pards (for ‘fatigue’ reasons) and Ashley (for financial reasons) don’t think it’s worth the effort
    Whilst we have this mentality from the management and board we’ll never get anywhere but 8th – 22nd

previous post: Remember Hull City – Please