Inability To Sign Striker Indicative Of Newcastle’s Decline

Loic Remy will resist singing for Newcastle full-time in January and wait to see what happens in the summer when bigger clubs than Newcastle are likely to come after the QPR striker, who is on a  season long loan deal at Newcastle, and has been in top form for the Magpies and scored 7 Premier league goals so far this season.

loic remy scores again

Loic Remy – “get in there I just scored” (in French)

Ruel Fox was at Newcastle in Kevin Keegan’s reign from February of 1994 through October of the next year and in that time the midfielder played 58 times for Newcastle with 12 goals.

And Ruel has been interviewed in the local papers today, and he has talked about Loic Remy, and he thinks that Loic will only get better at Newcastle:

“Loic Remy will be a sought after striker in the summer. There’s no doubt about that. A lot of clubs looked at him when he did eventually go to QPR. There was a little bit of negativity because he went to QPR.”

“Now he’s at a club where other colleagues from the same country help you settle in.”  “You look at all the French players in the team and it is hard to recognize an English player, let alone a local player.”

“Newcastle have always been strong for their local players.”  “When there’s a language barrier it can be hard.”

Newcastle have Steven Taylor, Paul Dummett, Mike Williamson and the Ameobi brothers who are English,  and hopefully in the next couple of transfer windows, we’ll see more British-based players coming through the door.

But it doesn’t seem that we will be in the driver’s seat to sign Loic Remy either in January or in the summer, and that’s a pity, but it does  seem to be indicative of our lack of  success since Bobby Robson left the club in August of 2004, and apart form a 5th place finish in 2012 and a 7th placed finish in 2006, we’ve basically been in the bottom half of the table.

That’s just not good enough for a team like Newcastle United.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

TADS

Errrr…no.

Because I never said that SD have no involvement in NUFC merchandise. In fact I suggested that SD could be responsible for the sourcing/sale/storage of merchandise, hence the £500k figure in the SD accounts. What I said is that it’s ridiculous to state that NUFC make no profit from selling NUFC merchandise.

As for the Rangers kits popping up, I said did that really cost NUFC any money? Maybe it was just an IT error seeing as it disappeared pretty quickly. If a) it was deliberate and b) Mike Ashley doesn’t care what fans think, then it would have stayed don’t you think?

Where’s the logic in selling Rangers stuff on a NUFC website? None! So why would they do it? Almost certainly, SD control the sales of merchandise for both Rangers and NUFC and some stupid IT bod just put the Rangers kit on the wrong site.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM

TDS
    Errrrr no, that’s what you said yesterday, I’m talking about when it was first suggested that SD in fact ran the NUFC club website over a month ago and you in you infinite wisdom branded everyone idiots who would twist anything into an anti Ashley agenda

So everyone is accountable…..except you aparantley

• bills-son

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Our Toon.

You say our players have no aligence to our club and they want to play for a club that has ambition.

Really?

Other than Cabaye and Colo (for personal reasons) not one other player has made any noises about moving and some like Krul, Santon and Tiote have gone out of their way to say how happy they are at NUFC.

Your statement is nonsense.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

TADS

I don’t see anything wrong with SD running the NUFC website so I don’t see why I would object to that suggestion. But I do think it’s rubbish that NUFC don’t make any money from NUFC merchandise. I think you’re misunderstanding my words but I’m happy to apologise and retract statements if you can find them.

• Our Toon

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

TDS

The season we got relegated was down to the mismanagement of Ashley, now the club owes him an extra £40m which he needed to inject because of his mistakes…he did learn from it hence the investment last Jan, bringing JFK back is a shocking decision though!! Unlike others I feel we will sign players this winter window but investment is needed in the summer to put us on a level playing field with everyone else. SD advertises for free using NUFC facilities (potentially worth millions) but NUFC pays SD for holding stock (£500k) please don’t justify that

Bills Son

Within time players will become disillusioned (ambitious players will) this is what I said but if you want perceive that as now then feel free to!! We are already being used as a stepping stone!!

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

TDS
    When did I ask you if you thought it was right?

Didn’t even direct the initial statement to you, just said I didn’t think NUFC any longer ran there own club site, which I thought was wrong, I never said they they made no money off it, but certainly significantly less
    Why should I find your statements, you brand people idiots on a daily basis on a blog based solely on opinion, your the record keeper find them your damn self and drop your double standards

You often state you want even debate, yet open near in every statement to someone with are you really that stupid or your an idiot, yet then get on your high horse when others trade insults with you, it’s complete bollox

• Our Toon

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Bills Son

Players may well have gone out of their way to state they are happy to stay but the same can’t be said for the club and Pards who will do so again like clockwork talk about being worried that a bid will come in for one of the players you have mentioned, and he will say it and every opportunity and every press conference and to every media outlet as if to tout the players out.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

But that’s the case with all players, they all want more whether it be trophies, European football, better stature of club, higher wages or a combination of them all.

Very few clubs have local lads who are fans and want to stay their, it’s not the case anymore as academies don’t produce enough local talent for any club with very few exceptions.

Granted more ambition would be nice but surely players know what they are signing up to, just need to look at recent history to see we aren’t going to invest huge money or push for the title.

I am no Ashley fan but it’s more down to lack of respect to club legends, key players/managers and fans. I think he treats people as money and that’s it, no thought out into history/tradition , just my opinion of course.

As for players I think we have put together a good squad since relegation and don’t think any other team promoted then could say the same thing. Not saying the policy is perfect as there does need to be more flexibility in fees/wages or to look for short term loan alternatives more but hardly a disaster.

Also ticket prices are good now as well, or good for prem league standards anyway.

I like to call each situation as I see it. Not stick to a certain stance.

• south coast toon

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM

we got a game tomorrow and we should go all out to win it

• FinnBarr

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Remy’s price goes up with each goal he scores. If he remains on this type of form through most of the season he’ll be out of reach by the summer transfer window. Shame, I think he would have a bright future here.