The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

One Of Football’s Gentlemen Visits Newcastle Tomorrow

3:02 pm, Friday, November 22nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 42 Comments

One of the real gentlemen of football, former Newcastle United manager Chris Hughton, will return to St. James’ Park tomorrow with his Norwich City side,  and he has again said today he bears no malice for his rather ruthless sacking by Mike Ashley almost three years ago, just over six months after he had Newcastle promoted at the first attempt.

chris hughton   -303196232

Chris Hughton – the good times when he was Newcastle manager

Chris Hughton took over Newcastle when we were almost down and out in June of 2009, just after we were relegated, and along with assistant Colin Calderwood he brought the lads together,  and while we drew the first game in the Championship 1-1 at West Brom, we won all the other games in that August, and of course the rest is history.

This is what Chris had to say in the local press today:

“I am certainly not bitter, and I will look forward to go there again.” “I have some very fond memories and a lot of friends still there.” “But when I left there I was always wanting to look forward.”

“Now, I am Norwich manager and am enjoying it.” “Yes, I was very appreciative of the response I got last season, but you are there to ultimately take your team to try to get a result – that means more than anything”

“If you come away from there bitterly disappointed because you have not won or played particularly well, then it does not make it a good game.” “Last season I was not disappointed with the performance, we just did not get the result.”

“For me it was probably a bigger deal last season to everybody else.” “I enjoyed going back last season, apart from the result, which always affects how you feel because you can only really enjoy it if you get the result or close to the performance you want.”

“As a returning manager, it is always very difficult.”

Chris got us promoted with a massive 106 points and 30 league wins in May of 2010, and Newcastle fans will always remember what this man did for the club, and he will get a terrific reception at St. James’ Park tomorrow afternoon, as he will whenever he returns to the Cathedral on the Hill.

It’s an opportunity of saying thank you for the great job Chris did for the club under the most difficult of circumstances.

There’s a saying that tough times don’t last but tough people do, and we notice Chris has done very well since he left Newcastle.

Well done Chris – keep it up – and thanks for all you did for Newcastle United Football Club.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

42 responses so far ↓

• 1 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM

TDS

The season we got relegated was down to the mismanagement of Ashley, now the club owes him an extra £40m which he needed to inject because of his mistakes…he did learn from it hence the investment last Jan, bringing JFK back is a shocking decision though!! Unlike others I feel we will sign players this winter window but investment is needed in the summer to put us on a level playing field with everyone else. SD advertises for free using NUFC facilities (potentially worth millions) but NUFC pays SD for holding stock (£500k) please don’t justify that

Bills Son

Within time players will become disillusioned (ambitious players will) this is what I said but if you want perceive that as now then feel free to!! We are already being used as a stepping stone!! Players may well have gone out of their way to state they are happy to stay but the same can’t be said for the club and Pards who will do so again like clockwork talk about being worried that a bid will come in for one of the players you have mentioned, and he will say it and every opportunity and every press conference and to every media outlet as if to tout the players out.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM

But that’s the case with all players, they all want more whether it be trophies, European football, better stature of club, higher wages or a combination of them all.

Very few clubs have local lads who are fans and want to stay their, it’s not the case anymore as academies don’t produce enough local talent for any club with very few exceptions.

Granted more ambition would be nice but surely players know what they are signing up to, just need to look at recent history to see we aren’t going to invest huge money or push for the title.

I am no Ashley fan but it’s more down to lack of respect to club legends, key players/managers and fans. I think he treats people as money and that’s it, no thought out into history/tradition , just my opinion of course.

As for players I think we have put together a good squad since relegation and don’t think any other team promoted then could say the same thing. Not saying the policy is perfect as there does need to be more flexibility in fees/wages or to look for short term loan alternatives more but hardly a disaster.

Also ticket prices are good now as well, or good for prem league standards anyway.

I like to call each situation as I see it. Not stick to a certain stance.

• 3 Ted Bundy // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Win the next 2 and we’ll be sitting bang in the middle of the running for the top 4 – how about that for motivation? Imagine what we could do when we’re having a good season and not the dire one some of the negs would have you believe!

• 4 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM

• 5 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Our Toon

I’m not addressing all of those points again, it’s very boring to do so. Suffice to say that there’s some truth in what you say but I think most fans should just stick to the football side of NUFC and stop worrying about the business side.

• 6 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM

TADS

I have no idea what you are on about…you posted 2 pages ago to me and quoting something I posted to JB, so it was you who commented on a post not directed at you. I have no problem with that by the way.

I don’t care if NUFC don’t run their own website. We’re not specialists at that and outsourcing is a common business decision so what’s the problem? It makes sense to work with experts rather than having to hire people for a limited job.

• 7 cyprus // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Ted,
    Jumping the gun aren’t you?

• 8 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM

TDS
    Sweet Jesus………… The point being you want people held accountable for there opinions and “shown up” but yet don’t hold your own damn hands up
    At the time, you didn’t mention the profit, or SD “expertise” you simply went off claiming anyone who thought SD ran the merchandise side of NUFC were simply spouting sh*te and were idiots (all whilst claiming continually be civil to each other)

• 9 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM

• 10 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

TADS

Sure, I’m happy to be accountable. But I simply don’t believe that I said that! I don’t see the issue with SD running the merchandise side of things as long as the financial deal is correct. If I had a crazy day and said the wrong thing then I’d be happy to apologise but I simply don’t think it happened!

• 11 mindshaft // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

We should beat Norwich but WBA could prove trickier
    Be interesting to see who stays next summer, I’d imagine a ,ot will ride on how well they do in World cup, it’s almost a given that Cabaye and Remy will be gone but we could also potentially lose Krul, Debuchy as well as the golden boot winner that will be Shola…….. ( okay the last ones a joke)
    There seem to be a lot of rumours around Santon leaving at the moment and Collo has again been spouting off about returning to Argentina apparently
    It never rains at the toon

• 12 Ted Bundy // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Nope. Where did I say we will win the next 2? Just outlining where we are (which is having a moderate season so far) and stating a fact based on the next 2 weeks of fixtures, with many of those above us playing each other.

Funny that if I said “we lose the next 2, then we’ll be in no man’s land” you’d have probably countenanced that with acceptance. Change the mentality, get on board!

• 13 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Mindshaft

Sholas contract uns out at the end of the season…we could lose him, your not far off

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Colo…no news. We know he wants to return to his hometown club and who can blame him?! But he also knows that the finances need to be sorted for him to go.

• 15 naptoon // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

surprised to see Tds defending Ashley …. Not like him how have you and bills got the time to post between frapping off over the sd catalogue and drinking hot chocolate from your “Mike Ashley No.1″ mug …. Sigh

• 16 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Ted

Lets get a win from next 2 games, won’t be as easy as some might suggest hence not getting excited, I think we have found a formula against better teams which is sit back (ride luck at times) and break. Can’t do that against Norwich we actually have to dictate the play, WBA have done well against us recently, have played well this season as well won’t be easy….underestimate and Hull result is more likely

• 17 G // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM

A win would be nice, but my gut feeling is a draw. With regard to CH coming, I remember well when he was appointed, we were all up in arms about what a shocking decision it was. Roll on a year later, and my what a way to prove us wrong. We were up in arms again when he got his untimely sack, with many off us (myself included) with egg all over our faces having spouted our predictions of what would happen when he was appointed. I do hope CH goes on to have a fantastically successfull career. Just not this weekend though!

• 18 lesh // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Off thread but relevant to what’s becoming the general tenor of the blog.

Ed and his son work their chuckies off writing articles, presumably in the hope of stimulating discussion among the ranks of the Toon Army.

But, it’s been noticeable of late that there’s a lot of friction among the ranks. Squabbling, who said what, who didn’t say what, words that in a face-to-face discussion could lead to big fall-outs.

Is that good for the folk involved in those arguments? Does it make for informative and enjoyable reading for those not involved in these spats? Is it good fir the blog?

No, no, no!

Ok there are other blogs to look at but are the majority who are becoming fed up of the bickering, being asked, by the bickerers to look elsewhere?

Get a grip, there’s more to life than arguing!

• 19 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM

lesh

I’ve been asking where some of the really good posters have gone…there were several people who had genuine knowledge of football, particular leagues or other areas but they seem to have been replaced by people who really don’t know what they’re talking about. It’s one thing someone spouting off that they don’t rate Santon, but fed up with comments about Ashley this or Ashley that.

I used to think that by correcting such ridiculous statements that it would return the conversation to football…I’ve given up that mistaken belief…

• 20 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Ppl we just started talking about football and more importantly the next 2 games, nots not regress to what we should consider as old ground!!

• 21 Our Toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM

haha “nots not” supposed to type “lets not”

• 22 70TWO // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Based on the desire for a top half finish NUFC need at least 1.5 points per game and on this basis, in the next 3 games we need 4.5 points. Or, 9 points in all the games before Xmas, which should be possible. In the next two matches after Norwich we will have to compete well to get 1 or 2 points and equally could end up with all 6.

The match tomorrow will set a template for those that follow, it is important that we continue to not concede, play with confidence and not to get nervous and stupid if we are not winning towards the end of the game.

• 23 70TWO // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM

TDS
    A rolling stone gathers no moss, let it rest however hard it is to think that if only someone knew what you knew.

How is Pardew going to ensure we win tomorrow?

• 24 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

70TWO

Eh?

• 25 70TWO // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

TDS
    Sorry not quite used to blogging, you said -
    “I used to think that by correcting such ridiculous statements that it would return the conversation to football.”
    And after seeing your earlier compliment to Cieron turned on its head, I feel for you.

• 26 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

70TWO

Ah! Yes! The first time I’ve seen the guy actually discuss the club in a reasonable manner for ages and the first perceived slight sent him off into a rage!

It was actually quite pleasant until then.

As for the game tomorrow…as little change as possible I think. Shame that Debuchy is out and I’m not sure what the best option is there as we don’t have a perfect replacement there. Santon to RB and Haidara/Anita to LB maybe? I wouldn’t change anything else unless injuries affect things. HBA to come on after an hour if we need a goal. But otherwise, we should have too much for them.

• 27 John Tudor // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

“Awap bop a lup bop a wop bam boom” “Tutti Frutti, aw Rudi,”

• 28 north east lincs toon // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Neil lennon looks like a chuffing zombie

• 29 Tsunki // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Hmmm… I don’t rate Santon, and I think defending Ashley is a struggle in any weather as he is always ready to irk the fans by whatever insult possible. does that make me a low-quality blogger and football ignoramus? Perhaps it’s judgement of that calibre that drives good posters away…..

• 30 daztoon // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Fact TDS has killed the blog

• 31 Tsunki // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Nelt – aye he does doesn’t he? :)

• 32 70TWO // Nov 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

TDS
    I agree that there should be as little change as possible / more of the same re:tactics, stop them from playing and keep a clean sheet.
    I do think Collo needs to be brought back in to get his form back up, so would move Mbiwa to RB and slot him in on left of CD. That would make a solid back three with Santon playing more as a wing back and pushing Gouffy forward.

• 33 Tsunki // Nov 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Perhaps toondarnsarf (Btw The original TDS is ToonDownSouth people) does not get the idea that being devils advocate actually fatigues fellow bloggers when it’s overkill?

• 34 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Tsunki

If you’re referring to me…no. You’ve every right to offer an opinion on Santon. I’ll defend him as he’s our player, only 22 and plenty of room to improve. I think of Walker and Johnson at 22 and, even if they aren’t the complete package now, they’re very good full backs playing for top 6 teams.

There’s a difference between saying Ashley is wonderful (which probably only Ashley does) and balancing some of the stupid criticism that goes his way.

I think he’s a terrible football club owner and by all accounts a pretty poor human being…but that doesn’t mean that every discussion needs to be about him and it doesn’t mean that every perceived negative needs to come back to a debate on his ownership.

Anyway…I still think we’ll beat Norwich tomorrow!

• 35 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Bloody hell guys. I’ve tried so hard to be polite but push things back to football. What more can I do?!

• 36 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I’m off anyway…will be back on tomorrow as long as we haven’t lost to Norwich and the atmosphere on here has turned toxic!

• 37 Tsunki // Nov 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Oh deary me Santon as a Wing back how many times does it need saying? When I see him getting his defending tight, positionally aware and so on, then let’s talk about wing backs. His forays cost us a few games last season. Next we will have the ‘use Santon as a winger’ chestnut. Save us all.

• 38 Tsunki // Nov 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Darnsarf – not being offensive. I’m just pointing out that you could more easily retreat from the Ash bash stuff and more effectively quell such arguments. I.e. Dont get into it!

• 39 Sawbuck // Nov 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

We never should’ve got shed of Hoots.

• 40 Tsunki // Nov 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM

And I agree, no happy returns for Hoots the morra.

• 41 70TWO // Nov 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Tsunki
    Santon isn’t a winger as Sissoko isn’t a winger, but I bet they will both be playing tomorrow, rightly or wrongly. I agree the back four need to keep working on their positioning, but if we have 3 CDs on the pitch and are playing Norwich, surely there is some latitude?

• 42 lesh // Nov 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM

ToonDarnSarf….. Being mature is what life’s all about but some just can’t, won’t or are incapable of that.

previous post: Inability To Sign Striker Indicative Of Newcastle’s Decline