The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Could Keep Faith In These Two Defenders

8:27 am, Friday, November 22nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

One of the big questions surrounding Newcastle’s home game against Norwich City tomorrow, is what  the back four will be, given that Frenchmen Mathieu Debuchy is suspended for this game, after the in-form Frenchman picked up his fifth yellow card of the season at Tottenham almost two weeks ago.

mapou yanga-mbiwa roberto soldado

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in action at Tottenham

It’s almost certain that Mike Williamson will hold his center position, but with Fab Coloccini on the bench at White Hart Lane, Alan Pardew may be tempted to bring back Colo and maybe switch Yanga-Mbiwa to right back.

But both Steven Taylor and Paul Dummett are also fit and available for selection, and in fact it looks like the manager will have a full squad to pick from for tomorrow’s game.

This is what big Mike Williamson had to say in the local press this morning:

“Consistency does help.” “But the fact of the matter is we have got fantastic centre-backs at the club and it doesn’t matter who you play alongside, you know you are playing with quality players.”

“I think the management are striving for that consistency.” “We’ve been working on defending from the front. As a group that has shone through.”

“We’ve all had to put in a shift and work on that side of our game.” “Tim Krul was a brick wall at Spurs. It breeds confidence through the team.”

“You know that if you get beaten by a good piece of skill you have world-class keeper there.” “Keeping clean sheets against Chelsea and Spurs shows he has found the right balance to keep it tight.:

“It’s a great platform because we know with the quality we have in attack, we’ll score goals.”

Injuries have not been the massive problem they were least season for us, and we have to credit for that to new Fitness Director Fay Downey, and it’s not very often  any team in the Premier League has a clean bill of health.

There are a number of combinations for the back four tomorrow, including Santon moving to right back and Paul Dummett coming in at left back.

But it depends on whether Alan Pardew is willing break up the very successful partnership between big Mike and the improving Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in central defense, and we have a hunch the manager could keep those two together again for Norwich.

Nobody could have done as well as these two in central defense over the last three games.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Mike Williamson · Newcastle News · Paul Dummett · Steven Taylor

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Bills,
    I think we will sign players if the perceived value is there. I speculated last night as to January potentially being our main buying window from now on due to the potential value in players coming to the end of their contracts.

If that is the case and the summer window is now viewed by the club as a secondary window, then you could view it as being a success in getting Remy in.

Obviously, I could be way off with that, but it will be interesting to see what we do in Jan.

• 2 Ibizatoon // Nov 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I am intrigued to see what happens tomorrow.

I have been impressed with the players determination the past few games and with Pardew sticking with a winning formula.

Obviously one change is needed, at least. With the International break, we will be able to see if they have managed to keep the same intensity.

Should be a case of 3 points. Fingers crossed.

• 3 Ibizatoon // Nov 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

To jump in to Bills and Lilos discussion….Confusion is understandable as far as transfers go at the club (well, not only transfers). In the summer we were told that we couldn’t really afford anyone as we would have gone in to the red.

I wouldn’t have though that situation would have changed by January.

Realistically, the reason we didn’t actually buy in the summer is we couldn’t get the perceived deals we wanted, not that we couldn’t have made money available.

That may happen in January, but people’s worry is that if we’re hitting our targets, i.e. top ten, then why would we need to buy?

So shall we only expect something if a super deal can be struck?

Not necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Nov 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Bills,
    I sat on the fence last summer regarding transfers and got a spelk in my ar$e, don’t like fence sitting and never have done before, I’m only stating it as fact in the same way you stated last summer that Ashley would make a couple of spectacular signings and make us doubters look like mugs.

• 5 bills-son // Nov 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Jail,

Fair enough, and I put my hands up I was wrong.

I just don’t believe the policy is not to sign anyone if we are top ten neither do I believe the height of our ambition is mid table mediocrity.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Nov 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I’m leaving, but Bills, I’d say we may have ideas of higher ambitions, the club just aren’t in a position / willing to pay for any higher ambitions…If that makes any sense at all :)

Bye for now.

• 7 clinath@ed // Nov 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM

IBIZA et al. IMO the flurry of purchases last January was a result of the Remi deal collapsing and the Reading result…Had either/both gone our way I honestly believe we wouldn’t have spent anywhere near that much. Having said that, I think Ashley and co. have got the drop on the rest of the league, as Liloongwe has said, the January window has become the most rewarding.

• 8 mickg108 // Nov 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I would play Anita @ RB,,only change needed & Ed,saying ” The improving M’Bwia”,,is doing the lad a dis-service,,I mean 22 year old Captain of a Ligue 1 Team,,Ligue 1 Winner & Internatioal player,,wasn’t much to improve on lol.

• 9 nufc 11 // Nov 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Taylor’s best posistion is RB he was never a CB just shoved in their and told your a CB same goes for Santon clearly not a LB.

• 10 G // Nov 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM

That photo’s a good one. Looks like they are skipping along hand in hand, with the marvelous caption of ‘Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in action at Tottenham’.

Brilliant Ed, simply Brilliant