This Player Brings Intelligence To The Dressing Room

Everything seems to be going well for Newcastle’s veteran striker Shola Ameobi, as he is currently a starter for his home town club Newcastle, and he has helped Nigeria qualify for the World Cup finals in Brazil next summer, and as long as he stays fit Shola is a certainty to be in the Nigerian squad, and take part in his first World Cup.

shola ameobi nigerian colors

Shola Ameobi – everything going his way right now

Alan Pardew has always been a believer in the 32 year-old, even though Shola has always been inconstant, and in one game he looks a world beater and then in the next game he doesn’t show at all.

This is what Alan said about Ameobi today:

“It really is an exciting time for Shola. You can see that in him and his performances recently have reflected that. He’s had a real boost to his career and we are getting the benefits of that and so are Nigeria.”

“On his day, all Newcastle fans will tell you no one can deal with him. What Shola needs to show is that consistency to do it every week in our shirt. He has the shirt at the moment and he has to keep it.”

“Most times footballers are put into this category where they’re not particularly bright, they’ve not really got a personality you would aspire to. Well Shola is the complete opposite to that.”

“You could put him in any environment, any school, any political field and he could hold his own. It is that intelligence that he brings to the dressing room and the team. He also has an experience of this club that a lot of players here don’t have.”

“He is a top top player. He is in form and could be a surprise package in the World Cup who will do well on that stage. Shola has been fantastic for this football club in more ways than one. I don’t know about an ambassadorial role for him. He could be Prime Minister with his personality.”

“Last year I had a lot of players in my first team who had only played a handful of games for the club, and his experience, especially in games likes this weekend against Norwich, where the emphasis is really going to be on us to win, is a really important part of the group.”

Shola will be up front with Loic Remy again tomorrow for Newcastle, and he has a chance to score his first league goal of the season.

And all our French players as well as Shola, Cheick Tiote and Tim Krul will be on a high right now, after their countries have qualified for the World Cup in Brazil.

The key for Newcastle is that they play tomorrow against Norwich as they did against Chelsea and Tottenham in the last two games and if the lads can do that tomorrow – we should be able to get a good result – and even the win the fans crave.

3 points tomorrow would be terrific.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

JFA

Call me whatever you want, but calling me not me is a step too far!

I think it’s pretty clear that I’m not the type of person who feels that I need to be sneaky to get my point across. Being sneaky also doesn’t work when you’re my size!

• toonie

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Unfortunatly he cant put in a full shift, even on a good day. Maybe putting red stripes on opposing teams might help.

• JackButler

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Shola’s been a great servant to the club but time we upgraded

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Shola deserves the same amount of respect as Harper got. Millionaire or not, they clearly both love the club.

• Graeme

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM

TDS, I’m 6′ 8″, just on 18 stone – do I count as “sneaky” or just delicate lol

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM

TDsarf,
    There’s nothing wrong with being a dwarf, don’t try and get sympathy that way.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Disclaimer
    Person of limited height !

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Graeme

I’m 6’5″ and just under 15st. I’m definitely glad I’m not in the same room as you, I hate feeling short!

• Graeme

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM

TDS – just what is wrong with being a hobbit?
    They are nice people, its not a problem lol
    Sorry mate

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Graeme

I know it’s even rarer for you, but you know how weird it is when you’re in the room with someone taller! My girlfriend’s 18 year old brother is about your height…thankfully he lives in another country so
    I don’t see him too often!

• Mister Tuff

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Pixies and leprechauns………………………………….OUT
    Hobbits…………………………………………………………OUT
    Short arses……………………………………………………OUT
    Short arses wearing Cuban heels………………….OUT.

• Toon Tang

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM

he also brings pizza in

• JAMSHA

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM

sholaaa sholaaa sholaaa oi oi oi

• Toon Tang

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM

were it shola who was eating the pizza that day whilst sat on the subs bench? haha funny that

• shearermania

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Shola would be perfect as prime minister as he dosnt seem to be able to make a right descision ,,,,

• stan anderson

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Shola has had a good career at this club.we could not get rid of him at one time,dont make him into a hero FFS,he ,s crap and always has been IMO .

• lesh

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM

‘We’re very close to firming up a big big striker soon.

According to JFK, he’ll be a hero and a Mackem slayer but he’s [Kinnear] said that he’s got to run the fee etc past Ashley before things can be firmed up.

• AmeriToon

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Hey fellas,
    Just wondering with all this talk about LB/RB switching for debuchy, everyone talks about dummet replacing santon. But am i the only one who thinks that haidara is honestly much better?
    I love the way he plays, hes actually pretty fast and adds alot to the attack, plus hes actually left footed unlike santon.
    Also there were false rumours about dempsey coming to newcastle.
    obviously i would just cream my pants if dempsey came to the toon, wouldn’t hesitate to buy his jersey, but i know he hasn’t played well since leaving fulham so it probably wont happen. Let me know what you think

• Toon Tang

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM

the only thing joes firming up is his bicep due to all them phones hes been lifting to people

• Ginger

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Ameritoon

I prefer Haidara too Dummet. Younger, faster, better defending, better attacking. Only things I believe Dummet has on him is experience and crossing ability.

However I believe Pardew rates Dummet higher and he is a homegrown player so I imagine we’ll see more of him as appose too Haidara.

• ilovetoon8788

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Remy plays better upfront with Shola beside him.

But we still can do with a Shola upgrade. Someone big and strong from anywhere who has decent goal return. 1 in 3 would do. As long as he has the intelligence to hold the ball up.

A striker like that within the 2 million price tag.

• cyprus

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:06 AM

@21
    Shola does score 1 in 3*, so there you go!

Today, in order to win a VERY hard game, we’ll need to find room for HBA… seriously.

*years

• AmeriToon

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Ginger
    Glad to see im not the only one who prefers haidara, i think we will see more of him in the future because why else did we buy him if we wont use him. i like dummet, he seems like a good guy and he’s a pretty good dribbler. maybe once debuchy gets too old in a few years and santon inevitably is sold to some italian team like juve, then we will see dummett on the right and haidara on the left.

I would also love to see santon on the right so he can cross the ball in well, before he was a LB i think he played RW. anyway santon at RB and haidara at LB would be immense.

• cyprus

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I liked what Chris said, pre-game: the margins between victory loss, between teams are very fine…

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Don’t think anyone would disagree that at 32 and in the last year of his contract we could really do with upgrading the lad…..

But, the window’s not open so we have shola
    Some seem to love knocking the lad, personally I’m made up to see the big lad enjoying his football, playing well for club and country and becoming part of a great partnership with remy

Don’t think I’ve ever quiet heard a stadium erupt as much as when shola scores!

• scout

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Brighton away in the cup, his performance was the worst I have seen from a professional. He just doesn’t run

• scout

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

The video of his goals online is quality then you realise the earlier ones were in black and white

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Scout
    You obviously didn’t see benny in the first Brighton away game then, or cabaye, or in fact every player that took part in either of those games

• Krul To Be Kind

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM

YES YES YES… Shola for PM, that should get him out of the squad

• scout

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I saw mate I was behind the goal both games

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Shola for president. Did anyone see him on cribs. He had as much personality as that charismatic match of the day duo Shearer & Owen.

I think it will be a mistake to play the way we did against Spurs & Chelsea with Norwich. Against teams like Norwich who might sit back the last thing we need is Shola. We’ll need to open them up if they sit back and Ben Arfa might just be the man for the job.