The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United Football Club By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!



Newcastle Striker Target Coy On Possible Move

9:11 am, Saturday, November 23rd, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

We expect Bafe Gomis of Lyon to join a new club in January, most likely in the Premier League, but the French International striker is being a little coy on whether he will move or not, and he has even hinted that he may sign a new contract at Lyon.

bafetimbi gomis in white

Bafe Gomis – could stay at Lyon?

Bafe’s five year contract at Lyon runs out in June, and last summer he was all set to see out the last year of his contract, but then Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas decided he wanted to cash in on his player, and Gomis was put up for sale and relegated to training with the Reserves side. :(

And Newcastle moved in, and Joe Kinnear was prominent – or not prominent depending which way you look at it – and in another soap opera last summer, we were unable to tie up a deal.

Now Bafe has said something that will please everybody, as he was asked if he would stay at Lyon during a recent press conference:

“Prolonging my stay? It is not an issue at the moment. I am happy at Lyon but I don’t know what will happen in the future.”

“I didn’t expect to be experiencing this good period, but I also didn’t expect to be banned.” “Everything can change quickly in football.”

“I won’t close the door on Lyon, but I won’t forget what happened.”

So if you are one of the clubs that Gomis has been linked with in January, which includes Newcastle,  there’s some hope he will join, and for the Lyon club he hints he may even stay.

But we’d be very surprised if he stays at the French club, after his shabby treatment over the summer, and his agent Francesco Di Frisco has already said within the last week, that a move  to the Premier League is now imminent.

Whether that’s to Newcastle or not, we have no idea, because other clubs like Swansea and Cardiff have also become interested in the striker, who is available for a low £2M in January.

Since Newcastle bid around £9M for him in the summer, you would assume Newcastle are really interested in the same striker now available for £2M – but you never know with Newcastle.

We think he would be a good buy at just £2M.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+



Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target





7 responses so far ↓

  • 1 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM

    Lol
    According to the Daily Fail were ready to offer QPR Cisse to secure Remy

  • 2 70TWO // Nov 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM

    There is no saying no, but NO!
    He has got to be a back back back up.

  • 3 70TWO // Nov 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM

    toonarmydownsouth

    SportsDirect News ‘Exclusive’ – scratch, should read ‘Bullsh#t’

  • 4 Hatem's better than Messi // Nov 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM

    Makes more sense at 2M than at 9M.

    He’ll bring different qualities that will be needed against better teams.
    We can play Gomes and Shola so that if we do hoof it it sticks.

  • 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM

    Don’t want this lad. No point signing a player just for the sake of it, even at £2million. \a minor improvement o what we have, but not much.

    Ha, Cisse to QPR, I assume they miss the point completely that it is largely immaterial what we offer QPR, the deal hinges on who else moves in for Remy.

  • 6 Hatem's better than Messi // Nov 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM

    Russian Girls …

    Asian Girls …

    Ed’s pimping business bringing in the $$$$.

    Air France to get me there and Axa insurance to cover the penicillin and airlift home. :-)

  • 7 nufc 11 // Nov 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

    Id take Shane long over him any day we need team players that will die for the cause.




previous post: Newcastle Star Prefers The Physical English League

next post: Our Standards Are High – We Have No Excuse