Arsenal Being After Top Newcastle Player Makes Little Sense

There’s some news today that top club Arsenal are linked with Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul, who is valued at £20M by the Magpies, and the news is in the Daily Express today.

krul

Fantastic save by Tim Krul against Spurs recently

The news is that Arsene Wenger wants the Dutchman to compete with current Arsenal number one goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny, who has been in outstanding form for the Gunners this season, and is one of the best young  goalkeepers in the Premier League.

And the report goes on to say a move to Arsenal by Krul in January – would help him secure a place in the Dutch squad for the World Cup finals in Brazil next summer.

But the last thing Tim would want is to be is on the bench after January, and if he went to Arsenal he would not immediately displace the 23 year-old Szczesny, who has already made 123 appearances  for Arsenal is his still fledgling career.

And at a young age for goalkeepers, the 6’5″ Polish International already has lots of experience, having played in the Champions League for Arsenal regularly.

So a move to Arsenal  could make some sense for Arsenal, sine it’s always good to have two excellent goalkeepers at a top club.

But it wouldn’t be a good move  for Tim Krul, who has been at Newcastle since  2005, and has always said – to anybody who will listen – that he’s perfectly happy to be the Newcastle number one goalkeeper.

And Arsenal will hardly be willing to pay out £20M for Tim, and they’ve shown over the years they are savvy in the transfer market, and unwilling to spend silly money on players.

The story doesn’t make too much sense to us.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Ciaran

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It makes little sense for a top club to be after arguably the best young goalkeeper in the league? Szcezny is good and has been in great form, but Krul is/will soon be world class and one of the best in the world – if he sorts out his distribution.

Tads from previous thread

I’d keep Willo in the squad as a stop gap if we were plugging injuries, but as it stands, he’s one of the first names on the team sheet which is worrying, same can be said for Shola which goes to show how lacking in quality we are in certain areas.

Don’t get me wrong, while these lads are performing well I have no complaints, but the very fact that we are relying on them is a worry.

There should be some very busy transfer windows coming up but I am not ruling out contract extensions for those whose contracts are running out. Shola’s recent performances could see him get an added year and he will be the big CF we need…

• toonincheek

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Krul to Arsenal would make little sense for Krul.
    And NO sense to Arsenal at the price we would want.
    Total non-starter.
    Just lazy writing – I won’t even give it credit for being “journalism”.

• Our Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Ciaran

I thought the Jan window was our summer transfer window (can hear TDS & crew sharpening knives)? Anita is good but just doesn’t produce enough going forward, personally I think he is perfect for a 5 man midfield, he’s good with short simple passes and retaining possession but his goal return is pretty poor, in fact I think he only has one to his name (cracking goal though) but last season he played 37 times 27 starts in all competitions got 1 goal and 1 assist, this season 12 games in all competitions 7 of which he’s started and he’s got 1 assist.

Cabaye this season has had 11 games (8 starts) 2 goals and 2 assists last season 26 games in PL (25 starts) 6 goals 2 assists. Anita just wouldn’t reach these statistics which is why we would need to replace Cabaye, the team is really short of creative players and goals from MF are important!!

• Ciaran

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Personally I’d like to see Cabaye score more goals, think a player of his calibre should be hitting the 10 mark every season. Anita may not make those numbers but I think he is a very tidy player, and can play DM or CAM because I personally think he is one of the tidiest players in our team.

I’d like to think that if we sold Cabaye we would bring in another midfield player for competition if nothing else, but I cannot see it somehow.

• Our Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Ciaran

Anita is a tidy footballer, the perfect player for ball retention and making short passes, pleasing on the eye but not really effective in defensive or attacking role. Think we might buy an Ince type of player as we have Sissoko who may end up replacing Cabaye. We will need to bring in a deadball specialist as well though!! food for thought

• Ciaran

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Our Toon

We could discuss in great depth about what we need. What we will get will be an entirely different matter altogether!

• 70TWO

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Krul would go to a team palying in the CL and it is up to the Joeker to screw as much money out of any deal. The last couple seasons I had been hoping Wenger would bid for S.Taylor..!?!

• SuperShearer

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Seems unfair to compare Anita and Cabaye’s assist and goal stats – Anita was played at LB for much of last season and is not always deployed in a creative MF position. He’s a cracking player and works his socks off.

• 70TWO

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

To provide more opportunity for Cabaye to score goals he needs to be further forward (centrally), which would require Sissoko/Anita to play behind him with Tiote in a midfield pair. Which then means who would play wide/up front?

• 70TWO

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Perhaps:
    ———–Remy
    HBA – Cabaye – Gouffy
    —–Tiote – Anita
    ——-back four
    but that means changing a settled and winning formation.

• Our Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Supershearer

I hear what you’re saying but the lad played a few games at FB not most games, he did replace Cabaye when he was injured though and just isn’t the same creative force that Cabs is. Decent little player though but has never achieved anywhere near cabs stats for goals or assists throughout his career, even when De Boer moved him into MF at Ajax.

Ciaran – We can discuss transfers till the cows come home but as you say its more likely to get rubbish like Tomkins (pards choice) than it is to get a dominant CB

• agent007

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

krul is a everglade of life itself ban the bear ban the pea if you know what mean 😉

• Nufc-83

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

For me with Krul its not just his distribution that is stopping him from becoming world class it is his presence. The lad doesn’t command his area and will be another Given – top shot stopper but i don’t feel will ever be in the world class bracket.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Nufc-83
    My sentiments on Krul, Given and Harper great shot stoppers and at full length saves but there command of the six yard box worried/worries me.
    Take Saturday – 2 deep crosses one which they nearly scored from came from deep wide – the ball would of taken a few seconds to get there so he had plenty of time to come and collect

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I don’t think any of our big players will leave in Jan.

We know that we’ll demand big money for any players and that simply wanting to leave is not enough. This was proven with Cabaye last summer.

I can’t see the likes of Cabaye or Krul wanting to leave in World Cup year when they’re first choice for a big club in the PL. Why risk it?

I could imagine Obertan moving on, maybe Colo too if the deal is right and we have a replacement.

• Our Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

TDS

Agreed none of them will leave in Jan window but I can see Colo and Cabs leaving in the Summer, I would suspect that if we are to cash in on Cabs (regime with no ambition) then it will have to be this summer as his value will drop the nearer he gets to his contract winding down, Marv and Obertan need to go…Marv because he’s on a canny wage on par with Colo, however the lad never plays and can’t see him ever breaking into the team!! Gosling and Raylor are others I’d get shot of!!

• lesh

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

agent007 @12……..

‘krul is a everglade of life itself ban the bear ban the pea if you know what mean’

Er, no. Perhaps you could explain to a dullard, please?

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Our Toon

Mate, seriously…who told you that Marv is getting paid the same as Colo? Colo is on around £60-70kpw from what I understand and there’s simply no way that an injury prone young non-international would be on a similar wage. We know how tight the club is with deals.

Obertan, Gosling and Marv might all go if someone is willing to pay enough for them and pay their wages, but we will keep them as back-up until then.

I don’t agree Cabaye going would have anything to do with ambition. You’d have to be really naïve to think that the likes of Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko and MYM joined our club for anything other than to get to CL football and CL football is going to take a long time for us to get to.

• Ciaran

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

If Cabaye is leaving our club for a CL club that would not constitute leaving our club for one with ambition?

Interesting, but erroneous, theory.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Swansea have ambition, Wolves have ambition, Accrington Stanley have ambition.

Man City and Chelski managed to buy their way into the top 4 but Spurs have been trying for a decade to break into it.

I don’t agree that the club doesn’t have ambition, I just don’t think it matches that of certain fans who think that we should be investing so we push for the CL straight away.

• GoofyFooted

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I could see United legitimately cracking the top four in the next few coming weeks. I don’t think it will last in the slightest, we just don’t have enough depth in our squad to play that consistently. However, considering the next few fixtures coming up for us and the few teams between us and top 4, it could happen.

• Our Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

TDS

Sorry I should have said that I was speculating Marvs salary:

Players know we wont invest to get into CL is what your statement should read as therefore they will look to move on as they want to play in CL

• Our Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM

TDS

If you played for us (thank god you don’t) are you telling me that a club in the top 20 for revenues in Europe has a net spend of +5m over 5 years (with not many youth players coming through in that time) is a club with ambition? A club that you would like to stay at (if you had no allegiance to it)?

Currently bottom of table when it comes to spending!! I’m not asking for us to spend £50m but I am expecting a club our size to spend £15m-£20m a season and that excludes player sales from that list!! I don’t expect us to spend £2m on a loan deal…£15m-£20m is what we are being deprived of in loss of advertising (I know you love that subject)

Marv will be on around £45k (minimum) considering he turned Liverfool down for the money!!

• Ciaran

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I have yet to meet or speak to a single NUFC supporter who thinks we should be investing serious money in order to break the top 4. With the exception of Kets that is.

He knows what fans want, yet chooses to misrepresent their argument to make it seem ridiculous. It’s a common logical fallacy.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Our Toon

I reckon that site is completely ridiculous if it reckons Marv is on £60kpw. Don’t believe it, it just doesn’t make any sense.

It’s not that we won’t invest to get into the CL, it’s that we don’t have the amount of money needed to challenge for the CL straight away. So the only way to do it is by making clever signings, making the most of the money the club does have and gradually progress.

It’s unfair to say our club doesn’t have ambition to get into the CL when compared to Arsenal or Man Utd. The top 6 are all targeting the CL and at least 4 of them are confident of going for the title too. So that’s 6 clubs that are a couple of hundred million or several years of clever investment ahead of us.

That’s like saying Accrington Stanley don’t have ambition because they are not targeting the Premier League or Crystal Palace don’t have ambition because they are not targeting the Europe League.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

There is absolutely no way Marveaux is on £60,000 a week. Cabaye was rumoured to be on £35,000 – £40,000 when we bought him, so why that website think Marveaux would have got 50% more in the same summer.

Anyway, all by the by. I see Colo is coming in for some stick, pretty unfair given he had just returned from injury. I personally wouldn’t have played him, but he wasn’t as bad as some are making out.

However, I would sell him in Jan, provided we can bring someone in. Not because I think he can’t cut it, but because the lad obviously wants to be home. It isn’t like he is leaving for cash, a rival etc, he wants to be home and close to family. He has done well for us, and been a good servant. IF we can get someone in, then why not allow him to leave. I’m sure San Lorenzo could arrange a deal over a few years for a couple of million – not our usual style, but not normal circumstances.

On the game, good win, thought Shola was superb again. Absolutely over the moon for the lad. Second half shows Pards hasn’t quite got the hang of playing games out with a lead, but it was better and chances were there for us to.

Looking forward to WBA, provided we take the game to them, and play our game we can get a result putting us in a very good position.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Our Toon

No. I hate that subject. And on that note, I’m outtahere.

If you truly believe that Mike Ashley is somehow depriving the club of £15-20M of advertising revenue a year and you truly and you also don’t consider how wages also cost money, then we have nothing to talk about.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Our Toon,
    I think most news outlets reported that Marveaux had issues on his medical and Liverpool pulled out. Which would put him in the same category as Ba when we signed him. Around £40k a week.

• Ciaran

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Our Toon

Hit a nerve 😛

• kt97toonarmy

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Well im getting half a season ticket off a mate for 50 quid. Any1 think its a good deal?

• bills-son

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Fact is we’ve built a very good squad of players for a very modest spend.

I wish we’d signed more players but not at the expense of spending for spending’s sake. Players of the caliber of Cabaye, Tiote, Debuchy, Goofy, Mbiwa and Sissoko for under £5M don’t grow on trees. We also stepped in for Ba and Remy where other clubs feared to tread.

Plus, other than Ba and Enrique who left because of a contract situation we’ve haven’t sold any top player since AC.

There are imo just as many positives to sing about in our transfer policy/performance as negatives.

• Our Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Ciaran

I think I did hit a nerve ? have to say I didn’t understand comment 27 at all, reads like the PR machine ran out of drivel. Bottom line finished 5th didn’t invest in a squad that desperately needed investment came back to bite us hard (no ambition)!! I’m not asking to compete on CL but I am expecting us to give it a go, Europa League minimum with a good cup run!! Seems to me we neglect cups. Lilongwe I agree Marv will be on around £40k (min) but that’s still a lot of money for someone who doesn’t play!!

Colo is unhappy but still gives it his all, yes he didn’t have a good game on Saturday but I don’t think many of our defenders have had good games recently as we have conceded to many chances Norwich at the weekend had 51% possession, Spurs 65%, Chelsea 61%, that’s just from last 3 games…is it any wonder we find ourselves under the cosh ball retention is as good as our national teams

• Ancientcoptic

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Knowing Arsenal, a bid of around £7 million is more likely.

• Ancientcoptic

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Btw, As much as I love Krul… he is nowhere near one of the best keepers in the league anymore.

He had a good season when we finished 5th, but the stats actually show he is one of the worst keepers in the league. Sorry, but it is true.

If we were getting 20 million for Krul, I think we could buy better for not much more than half of that.

Wenger follows a system, he hires people from the best universities to work out the stats of players, he will not be interested in Krul as his stats are not good enough.

• Our Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Bills Son:

Depends on how you look at things, Modest spend yes but taking years to replace players is just shocking and that costs the club money. Investment in the summer of last year would have meant that we wouldn’t have finished as low as we did maybe top 10 (extra 10m) it would have meant that Sissoko who’s transfer was bought forward as was Gouffrans wouldn’t have been signed for a fee but would have signed on a free!! Take Remy off the list because he is borrowed and doesn’t belong to us we still paid at least 2m for him though then factor in his wages which is probably around £3m a season excluding bonuses, £5m spent on someone who will never belong to the club!! I’m glad he’s here but sure we could have ensured that something permanent was in place!!

• kt97toonarmy

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I think this marvaux wage is far less than people think. He failed a medical at liverpool nd stoke. He was injured when he joined us. Ashley wouldnt pay 40 grand plus a week for some1 who has a bad injury history?

Ciaren, everybody would love ashley to spend seriously to make top 4. But heres the thing everybody also knows that it aint going to happen!

• Rooster

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

We were tired, yea defending does tire u out Alan, u told them to do it, am sorry but they are peoffesional argletes and rhats no washing with me, ive had a gripe with AP at aome atage in wvery fame we have played for the last season and a half, the bloke just winds me up.

• Our Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Kt97toonarmy

He did pay that much if not more for Demba Ba and his Knee (ticking time bomb) was reported to be worse than Marvs injuries. Marv ended up being injury prone and Ba seems to never be injured

• kt97toonarmy

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Ourtoon

I had a feeling some1 would bring that up. We got ba for nothing. Which was good nd u r right he was a ticking time bomb but sometimes the chance is taken. Remember when maiga was supposed to sign. Hes also a ticking time bomb. He failed his medical. I think. It was 3 year ago i think nd we didnt take a risk on him. Thankfully. With his record in the PL.

• kt97toonarmy

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

If u lads think. If we didnt drop 8 stupid points against west ham, mackams nd hull we would have been like southampton for a start to a season but i guess u cant win em all