The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Arsenal Being After Top Newcastle Player Makes Little Sense

12:45 pm, Monday, November 25th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 81 Comments

There’s some news today that top club Arsenal are linked with Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul, who is valued at £20M by the Magpies, and the news is in the Daily Express today.

krul

Fantastic save by Tim Krul against Spurs recently

The news is that Arsene Wenger wants the Dutchman to compete with current Arsenal number one goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny, who has been in outstanding form for the Gunners this season, and is one of the best young  goalkeepers in the Premier League.

And the report goes on to say a move to Arsenal by Krul in January – would help him secure a place in the Dutch squad for the World Cup finals in Brazil next summer.

But the last thing Tim would want is to be is on the bench after January, and if he went to Arsenal he would not immediately displace the 23 year-old Szczesny, who has already made 123 appearances  for Arsenal is his still fledgling career.

And at a young age for goalkeepers, the 6’5″ Polish International already has lots of experience, having played in the Champions League for Arsenal regularly.

So a move to Arsenal  could make some sense for Arsenal, sine it’s always good to have two excellent goalkeepers at a top club.

But it wouldn’t be a good move  for Tim Krul, who has been at Newcastle since  2005, and has always said – to anybody who will listen – that he’s perfectly happy to be the Newcastle number one goalkeeper.

And Arsenal will hardly be willing to pay out £20M for Tim, and they’ve shown over the years they are savvy in the transfer market, and unwilling to spend silly money on players.

The story doesn’t make too much sense to us.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Tim Krul · Transfer News and Rumours

81 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ciaran // Nov 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It makes little sense for a top club to be after arguably the best young goalkeeper in the league? Szcezny is good and has been in great form, but Krul is/will soon be world class and one of the best in the world – if he sorts out his distribution.

Tads from previous thread

I’d keep Willo in the squad as a stop gap if we were plugging injuries, but as it stands, he’s one of the first names on the team sheet which is worrying, same can be said for Shola which goes to show how lacking in quality we are in certain areas.

Don’t get me wrong, while these lads are performing well I have no complaints, but the very fact that we are relying on them is a worry.

There should be some very busy transfer windows coming up but I am not ruling out contract extensions for those whose contracts are running out. Shola’s recent performances could see him get an added year and he will be the big CF we need…

• 2 toonincheek // Nov 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Krul to Arsenal would make little sense for Krul.
    And NO sense to Arsenal at the price we would want.
    Total non-starter.
    Just lazy writing – I won’t even give it credit for being “journalism”.

• 3 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Ciaran

I thought the Jan window was our summer transfer window (can hear TDS & crew sharpening knives)? Anita is good but just doesn’t produce enough going forward, personally I think he is perfect for a 5 man midfield, he’s good with short simple passes and retaining possession but his goal return is pretty poor, in fact I think he only has one to his name (cracking goal though) but last season he played 37 times 27 starts in all competitions got 1 goal and 1 assist, this season 12 games in all competitions 7 of which he’s started and he’s got 1 assist.

Cabaye this season has had 11 games (8 starts) 2 goals and 2 assists last season 26 games in PL (25 starts) 6 goals 2 assists. Anita just wouldn’t reach these statistics which is why we would need to replace Cabaye, the team is really short of creative players and goals from MF are important!!

• 4 Ciaran // Nov 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Personally I’d like to see Cabaye score more goals, think a player of his calibre should be hitting the 10 mark every season. Anita may not make those numbers but I think he is a very tidy player, and can play DM or CAM because I personally think he is one of the tidiest players in our team.

I’d like to think that if we sold Cabaye we would bring in another midfield player for competition if nothing else, but I cannot see it somehow.

• 5 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Ciaran

Anita is a tidy footballer, the perfect player for ball retention and making short passes, pleasing on the eye but not really effective in defensive or attacking role. Think we might buy an Ince type of player as we have Sissoko who may end up replacing Cabaye. We will need to bring in a deadball specialist as well though!! food for thought

• 6 Ciaran // Nov 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Our Toon

We could discuss in great depth about what we need. What we will get will be an entirely different matter altogether!

• 7 70TWO // Nov 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Krul would go to a team palying in the CL and it is up to the Joeker to screw as much money out of any deal. The last couple seasons I had been hoping Wenger would bid for S.Taylor..!?!

• 8 SuperShearer // Nov 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Seems unfair to compare Anita and Cabaye’s assist and goal stats – Anita was played at LB for much of last season and is not always deployed in a creative MF position. He’s a cracking player and works his socks off.

• 9 70TWO // Nov 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

To provide more opportunity for Cabaye to score goals he needs to be further forward (centrally), which would require Sissoko/Anita to play behind him with Tiote in a midfield pair. Which then means who would play wide/up front?

• 10 70TWO // Nov 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Perhaps:
    ———–Remy
    HBA – Cabaye – Gouffy
    —–Tiote – Anita
    ——-back four
    but that means changing a settled and winning formation.

• 11 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Supershearer

I hear what you’re saying but the lad played a few games at FB not most games, he did replace Cabaye when he was injured though and just isn’t the same creative force that Cabs is. Decent little player though but has never achieved anywhere near cabs stats for goals or assists throughout his career, even when De Boer moved him into MF at Ajax.

Ciaran – We can discuss transfers till the cows come home but as you say its more likely to get rubbish like Tomkins (pards choice) than it is to get a dominant CB

• 12 agent007 // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

krul is a everglade of life itself ban the bear ban the pea if you know what mean ;-)

• 13 Nufc-83 // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

For me with Krul its not just his distribution that is stopping him from becoming world class it is his presence. The lad doesn’t command his area and will be another Given – top shot stopper but i don’t feel will ever be in the world class bracket.

• 14 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Nufc-83
    My sentiments on Krul, Given and Harper great shot stoppers and at full length saves but there command of the six yard box worried/worries me.
    Take Saturday – 2 deep crosses one which they nearly scored from came from deep wide – the ball would of taken a few seconds to get there so he had plenty of time to come and collect

• 15 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I don’t think any of our big players will leave in Jan.

We know that we’ll demand big money for any players and that simply wanting to leave is not enough. This was proven with Cabaye last summer.

I can’t see the likes of Cabaye or Krul wanting to leave in World Cup year when they’re first choice for a big club in the PL. Why risk it?

I could imagine Obertan moving on, maybe Colo too if the deal is right and we have a replacement.

• 16 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

TDS

Agreed none of them will leave in Jan window but I can see Colo and Cabs leaving in the Summer, I would suspect that if we are to cash in on Cabs (regime with no ambition) then it will have to be this summer as his value will drop the nearer he gets to his contract winding down, Marv and Obertan need to go…Marv because he’s on a canny wage on par with Colo, however the lad never plays and can’t see him ever breaking into the team!! Gosling and Raylor are others I’d get shot of!!

• 17 lesh // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

agent007 @12……..

‘krul is a everglade of life itself ban the bear ban the pea if you know what mean’

Er, no. Perhaps you could explain to a dullard, please?

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Our Toon

Mate, seriously…who told you that Marv is getting paid the same as Colo? Colo is on around £60-70kpw from what I understand and there’s simply no way that an injury prone young non-international would be on a similar wage. We know how tight the club is with deals.

Obertan, Gosling and Marv might all go if someone is willing to pay enough for them and pay their wages, but we will keep them as back-up until then.

I don’t agree Cabaye going would have anything to do with ambition. You’d have to be really naïve to think that the likes of Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko and MYM joined our club for anything other than to get to CL football and CL football is going to take a long time for us to get to.

• 19 Ciaran // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

If Cabaye is leaving our club for a CL club that would not constitute leaving our club for one with ambition?

Interesting, but erroneous, theory.

• 20 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Swansea have ambition, Wolves have ambition, Accrington Stanley have ambition.

Man City and Chelski managed to buy their way into the top 4 but Spurs have been trying for a decade to break into it.

I don’t agree that the club doesn’t have ambition, I just don’t think it matches that of certain fans who think that we should be investing so we push for the CL straight away.

• 21 GoofyFooted // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I could see United legitimately cracking the top four in the next few coming weeks. I don’t think it will last in the slightest, we just don’t have enough depth in our squad to play that consistently. However, considering the next few fixtures coming up for us and the few teams between us and top 4, it could happen.

• 22 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

TDS

Sorry I should have said that I was speculating Marvs salary:

Players know we wont invest to get into CL is what your statement should read as therefore they will look to move on as they want to play in CL

• 23 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM

TDS

If you played for us (thank god you don’t) are you telling me that a club in the top 20 for revenues in Europe has a net spend of +5m over 5 years (with not many youth players coming through in that time) is a club with ambition? A club that you would like to stay at (if you had no allegiance to it)?

Currently bottom of table when it comes to spending!! I’m not asking for us to spend £50m but I am expecting a club our size to spend £15m-£20m a season and that excludes player sales from that list!! I don’t expect us to spend £2m on a loan deal…£15m-£20m is what we are being deprived of in loss of advertising (I know you love that subject)

Marv will be on around £45k (minimum) considering he turned Liverfool down for the money!!

• 24 Ciaran // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I have yet to meet or speak to a single NUFC supporter who thinks we should be investing serious money in order to break the top 4. With the exception of Kets that is.

He knows what fans want, yet chooses to misrepresent their argument to make it seem ridiculous. It’s a common logical fallacy.

• 25 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Our Toon

I reckon that site is completely ridiculous if it reckons Marv is on £60kpw. Don’t believe it, it just doesn’t make any sense.

It’s not that we won’t invest to get into the CL, it’s that we don’t have the amount of money needed to challenge for the CL straight away. So the only way to do it is by making clever signings, making the most of the money the club does have and gradually progress.

It’s unfair to say our club doesn’t have ambition to get into the CL when compared to Arsenal or Man Utd. The top 6 are all targeting the CL and at least 4 of them are confident of going for the title too. So that’s 6 clubs that are a couple of hundred million or several years of clever investment ahead of us.

That’s like saying Accrington Stanley don’t have ambition because they are not targeting the Premier League or Crystal Palace don’t have ambition because they are not targeting the Europe League.

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

There is absolutely no way Marveaux is on £60,000 a week. Cabaye was rumoured to be on £35,000 – £40,000 when we bought him, so why that website think Marveaux would have got 50% more in the same summer.

Anyway, all by the by. I see Colo is coming in for some stick, pretty unfair given he had just returned from injury. I personally wouldn’t have played him, but he wasn’t as bad as some are making out.

However, I would sell him in Jan, provided we can bring someone in. Not because I think he can’t cut it, but because the lad obviously wants to be home. It isn’t like he is leaving for cash, a rival etc, he wants to be home and close to family. He has done well for us, and been a good servant. IF we can get someone in, then why not allow him to leave. I’m sure San Lorenzo could arrange a deal over a few years for a couple of million – not our usual style, but not normal circumstances.

On the game, good win, thought Shola was superb again. Absolutely over the moon for the lad. Second half shows Pards hasn’t quite got the hang of playing games out with a lead, but it was better and chances were there for us to.

Looking forward to WBA, provided we take the game to them, and play our game we can get a result putting us in a very good position.

• 27 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Our Toon

No. I hate that subject. And on that note, I’m outtahere.

If you truly believe that Mike Ashley is somehow depriving the club of £15-20M of advertising revenue a year and you truly and you also don’t consider how wages also cost money, then we have nothing to talk about.

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Our Toon,
    I think most news outlets reported that Marveaux had issues on his medical and Liverpool pulled out. Which would put him in the same category as Ba when we signed him. Around £40k a week.

• 29 Ciaran // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Our Toon

Hit a nerve :P

• 30 kt97toonarmy // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Well im getting half a season ticket off a mate for 50 quid. Any1 think its a good deal?

• 31 bills-son // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Fact is we’ve built a very good squad of players for a very modest spend.

I wish we’d signed more players but not at the expense of spending for spending’s sake. Players of the caliber of Cabaye, Tiote, Debuchy, Goofy, Mbiwa and Sissoko for under £5M don’t grow on trees. We also stepped in for Ba and Remy where other clubs feared to tread.

Plus, other than Ba and Enrique who left because of a contract situation we’ve haven’t sold any top player since AC.

There are imo just as many positives to sing about in our transfer policy/performance as negatives.

• 32 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Ciaran

I think I did hit a nerve ? have to say I didn’t understand comment 27 at all, reads like the PR machine ran out of drivel. Bottom line finished 5th didn’t invest in a squad that desperately needed investment came back to bite us hard (no ambition)!! I’m not asking to compete on CL but I am expecting us to give it a go, Europa League minimum with a good cup run!! Seems to me we neglect cups. Lilongwe I agree Marv will be on around £40k (min) but that’s still a lot of money for someone who doesn’t play!!

Colo is unhappy but still gives it his all, yes he didn’t have a good game on Saturday but I don’t think many of our defenders have had good games recently as we have conceded to many chances Norwich at the weekend had 51% possession, Spurs 65%, Chelsea 61%, that’s just from last 3 games…is it any wonder we find ourselves under the cosh ball retention is as good as our national teams

• 33 Ancientcoptic // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Knowing Arsenal, a bid of around £7 million is more likely.

• 34 Ancientcoptic // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Btw, As much as I love Krul… he is nowhere near one of the best keepers in the league anymore.

He had a good season when we finished 5th, but the stats actually show he is one of the worst keepers in the league. Sorry, but it is true.

If we were getting 20 million for Krul, I think we could buy better for not much more than half of that.

Wenger follows a system, he hires people from the best universities to work out the stats of players, he will not be interested in Krul as his stats are not good enough.

• 35 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Bills Son:

Depends on how you look at things, Modest spend yes but taking years to replace players is just shocking and that costs the club money. Investment in the summer of last year would have meant that we wouldn’t have finished as low as we did maybe top 10 (extra 10m) it would have meant that Sissoko who’s transfer was bought forward as was Gouffrans wouldn’t have been signed for a fee but would have signed on a free!! Take Remy off the list because he is borrowed and doesn’t belong to us we still paid at least 2m for him though then factor in his wages which is probably around £3m a season excluding bonuses, £5m spent on someone who will never belong to the club!! I’m glad he’s here but sure we could have ensured that something permanent was in place!!

• 36 kt97toonarmy // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I think this marvaux wage is far less than people think. He failed a medical at liverpool nd stoke. He was injured when he joined us. Ashley wouldnt pay 40 grand plus a week for some1 who has a bad injury history?

Ciaren, everybody would love ashley to spend seriously to make top 4. But heres the thing everybody also knows that it aint going to happen!

• 37 Rooster // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

We were tired, yea defending does tire u out Alan, u told them to do it, am sorry but they are peoffesional argletes and rhats no washing with me, ive had a gripe with AP at aome atage in wvery fame we have played for the last season and a half, the bloke just winds me up.

• 38 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Kt97toonarmy

He did pay that much if not more for Demba Ba and his Knee (ticking time bomb) was reported to be worse than Marvs injuries. Marv ended up being injury prone and Ba seems to never be injured

• 39 kt97toonarmy // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Ourtoon

I had a feeling some1 would bring that up. We got ba for nothing. Which was good nd u r right he was a ticking time bomb but sometimes the chance is taken. Remember when maiga was supposed to sign. Hes also a ticking time bomb. He failed his medical. I think. It was 3 year ago i think nd we didnt take a risk on him. Thankfully. With his record in the PL.

• 40 kt97toonarmy // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

If u lads think. If we didnt drop 8 stupid points against west ham, mackams nd hull we would have been like southampton for a start to a season but i guess u cant win em all

• 41 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Our Toon/KT97,
    We also got Marv free. I think the main difference was that Ba had a degenerative knee issue. Marveaux had muscle issues which could potentially be resolved.

Another key point here is that Ba also allegedly had a clause in his contract which stated if he broke down with a knee problem he would not get paid.

• 42 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

We got Marv for nothing as well (I think) Maiga is unfortunate, he has a manger who loves hoof ball and thinks he can play with a false Number 9. What does it say to the player when your manager would rather play Nolan as furthest forward (who got booed when taken off) rather than a recognised ST.

Think it was a case of the lad being referred to Big Sam and he just doesnt fancy him. Sam will get the chop soon though

• 43 Ian Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Of the various reasons given the earlier comment shown below for me is nearest to the mark. By way of illustration I mention the following also. I was in a Jesmond pub on Saturday post game to overhear 2-3. fans bemoaning the fact that a winning run is not good for any attraction for further demonstration against Ashley. Likewise a good number of buoyant fans don’t want to come on here to be told they shouldn’t be celebrating winning because of in essence what’s round the corner.

50bills-son // Nov 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM

The numbers posting on here have dropped hugely and I bet it is because most are brassed off with the constant moaning even after a win. Posters who are positive about Pardew, the club or our prospects are labelled delusional, brain washed or even closet Ashley PR employees.

Its like going to the pub after a win happy as larry and standing in a corner where most are negging away about tactics, players, the manager, the owner. You’d think we’d lost not won.

Most would get the hell out of that corner and into one where the fans were buzzing, happy and celebrating the win.

And that imo is why this blog has gone downhill.

• 44 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Lilongwe

I think Pay As You Play deals would be good for these high risk injury players!!

• 45 kt97toonarmy // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Ian toon

Ive noticed the dropping in posts on this website like. Nd i do agree about the moaning. It does my head in too. Its the pardew haters i dislike evan when we beat tottenham nd chelsea they were still on it. Ill not point any fingers tho.

• 46 Ciaran // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

For the record, people can both be delighted with the recent run of form, and critical of Mike Ashley. It’s an alien concept to some people but it can be done. We humans have evolved to have more than 1 thought at a time.

• 47 Ciaran // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

What Jesmond pub out of interest?

• 48 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Ian,
    While undoubtedly some people don’t get on because it is very negative at times, but the thing that annoys me more and means my visit are becoming less frequent is the constant sniping at each other. It’s like being in a playground sometimes with the bickering that goes on.

I don’t really care whether someone holds a negative view or a positive view of things, as long as they are capable of discussing their side and reasoning it without resorting to some of the petty name calling and such that goes on here. It isn’t one side or the other to blame either, both positive people and the more negative people are guilty of it.

Which Jesmond pub did you happen to be in? If people are complaining about good results as it detracts from the MAOC or T4C then it is a bit worrying. What happened to “support the team, not the regime” and other such pointless slogans.

• 49 Transfer Sage // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I don’t know anyone who is unhappy with positive results…i am sure 100% here would happily see a grubby, awful 1-0 every week, still complain about tactics/style but be happy with the 3 points.

I think the football has been good to watch the last few games, mixed up passing and moving with some direct stuff when needed, it’s good. No point knocking it short when the longer pass is lower risk/better reqard.

• 50 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Ciaran,
    Yeah, some people can, but that doesn’t mean all anti Ashley people will be happy with the run of form. Judging by Ian’s post there is some evidence of that.

• 51 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Sage,
    Agreed, that is why I’m not a fan of the way Barca or Spain play. Bayern mix up styles far better, and hopefully will continue to do that even with Guardiola there.

• 52 Transfer Sage // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

lilongwe

for me arsenal and dortmund have the most interesting styles to watch…dortmund average 46% possession and aresenal around mid 50′s I think.

I don’t see the fun in tapping it around the team with 5 yard passes and coming out with 85% possession, too one sided, not end to end, its just too clinical, not passionate….if that makes any sense.

• 53 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Ian & KT

Squabbling is what annoys me. We’ve won a few games & that is fantastic but it doesn’t paper over the cracks that are at the heart of the club (Ashley’s Regime) I do agree on neggers but depends on which side of the fence you sit on…..if you are pro Ashley & Pards then you back the negativity of a less than proactive regime!! One that refuses to maximise profits from advertising, gets into bed with Wonga for considerably less money than Virgin deal and have to use reverting back to SJP as PR campaign for such a move, bottom of table in relation to net spend over 5 yrs, JFK, a negative manager who always ensures the 2nd half is hang on time and hope for the best (if the players actually played for possession and didn’t spend time chasing the ball maybe they wouldn’t be tired!!)

I’d like to think any sensible team (management) would sit down and analyse a game to work on negatives…if we as fans don’t highlight these and believe we are playing at optimum level then seriously we need our heads checked, yes I have highlighted the positives, shola performances etc. but the negatives are that we were cut open by a team that had only 2 away goals all season (3 now) they controlled long periods of that 2nd half when really we should have retained possession!! We did well but we did only play Norwich who were thumped 7-0 on there last away outing!!

To end on a positive, the football has been better this year, I wonder how much player influence has changed our style. Looking at how Citeh are performing at home maybe 4-0 defeat wasn’t that bad after all

• 54 Ian Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Lilongwe- I won’t mention the name of the pub because I often go there after games-LOL. I like an up beat mood in my life and football plays a big part so I can’t stand reading the doom and gloom types. Much prefer positivity to set the mood particularly first thing in the morning. Used to come on here first thing with a Costa coffee as a bit of a ritual.

Your academy information is always of interest. Our game on Saturday has a 5.30 KO so it’s a good opportunity to watch the under 18′s in the morning and seniors later.

Hope the local hostilities are not impacting on you.

• 55 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM

We all seem to rate Anita highly on this blog & he’s someone who enjoys the 5 yard pass rather than something extravagant, doing the basics & keep the ball is what we need to do more often. I think the biggest thing we are missing is pressing high up the pitch to win the ball, that’s what makes Barca so impressive yes they are good with the ball but when they don’t have it they are just as good if not better, Southampton have been like that this season winning the ball high up the pitch, we sit back inviting pressure…some days it’ll work and some days it’ll hit us hard with heavy defeats!!

• 56 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Ian,
    You mention hostilities, things are generally pretty peaceful in Malawi, although this morning there was an attempted armed robbery about 400m from where I was in a meeting. They caught 2 of the 3 armed robbers, shot one of them 3 times, and burnt the other alive. I was blissfully unaware of any of this happening until I left my meeting and saw a large crowd just down the road.

I’m back first week of Jan, due to my partner getting some bad family news we have cancelled our trip to Zanzibar and she is going home for Xmas and I am flying to the UK for the first week in Jan then on to Guyana to see her and her family. I’m certain I will be frequenting a number of Jesmond pubs while I am back!

The academy is doing really well, just signed an agreement for 5 new football pitches which are being donated by a charity, so we are expanding the operation. We were recognised as the 2nd best non top flight club academy by FAM last week. Although given there are only 6 or 7 in the country it isn’t particularly high praise!

• 57 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM

One issue is that the so called pro-Ashley and pro-Pardew people are often not even that. Most of us that are labelled in such a way are not fans of the way Ashley is running the club and many of us would also like to see a better manager at the club. But…

…as far as the manager goes, I believe in giving people a chance. I wouldn’t have complained if he had been sacked in the summer, but once he’s been told he’s staying and given a target of 10th or better, then I think people should just move on and support him. Sure he makes mistakes, but it’s easy to say you knew better in hindsight and for every 1 person who can say that they predicted something bad beforehand, there will be 10 (or more) people who wrote off the likes of Shola, Tiote and Willo. Plenty of other examples too…

As far as Ashley and the general running of the club goes, I find it amusing to also be labelled as an accountant, when it’s actually frequently the neggers who come up with arguments about “Mike Ashley taking loads of money from the club” or “£15-20M missing advertising revenue” etc. Some people are so blinded that merely hearing someone else mention something that could be seen as a negative, suddenly makes it truth. It is frankly illogical to assume that NUFC make no money from merchandising, that the SD advertising is worth £15-20M or that Marv is on £60kpw for example. Why don’t more people just stick to commenting on the football?

• 58 Rotonda heights // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Our toon @53

Very well put. I think everyone is ecstatic at winning the last 3 games but we have to rid ourselves of this ” team of 2 halves ” tag.

We got lucky at Spurs thanks to Krul and hung on against Norwich, but it shouldn’t be like that. I honestly think the fear factor is what has stopped Pardew achieving anything in the game. Lose that and we could really go places maybe.

• 59 martoon // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Ciaran – to be fair you are consistent with your criticism of the regime win, lose or draw. However surely you must admit that Catchy earlier saying that the only thing Shola did was have the one shot which led to the goal is pure spiteful. Everybody else agrees that Shola had a decent game and has been pretty good in the last three games. It is this kind of negative hatred that upsets people.

• 60 Rotonda heights // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Would be great to see Allardyce and his non–football get his come-uppance and no sympathy for Palace now they’ve appointed that goon Pulis.

• 61 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Rotonda

It really is worrying what happens to us in 2nd half of games but no one really seems to care,

TDS (wide up merchant) – As for Marv on £60k I came across a site which stated that’s his wage hence making the comment which I then retracted (you must have missed that though), as for the manager he was given a whole season and completely messed it up (should have been sacked) I have no issues if the guy learns from his mistakes but getting the performances we do in 2nd half of games when leading at HT is ridiculous and needs addressing, problem is that he is 2 arrogant.

For what it’s worth Catchy was wrong and I think a few of us pointed it out to him but TDS believes the lad is the 2nd coming because of 2 or 3 decent performances (Sholas been written off due to a decade of poor performances), lets have some consistency from him as ppl expecting the same from all players. this is the best he’s played for us (except championship) and he’s been here all his career

• 62 Our Toon // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I think Big Sam will get the chop soon, Palace were doing well with the caretaker manager, he must be gutted that he wasn’t taken on!! thought it was good for the league that Pulis left, now he’s back!! hoof ball returns

• 63 Ciaran // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM

martoon

If you check either this thread or the thread before, I did say to Catchy that he should give credit where it is due. Shola had a storming game and has played well in recent weeks. Personally I have no issue giving Pardew praise, I was very critical of him, but now I see him as no more than a symptom of the way the club is run. I do not think he is the man to take us forward in the long run but he can be a consistent mid-table manager which is why he is at the club, and what he is here to achieve in my view.

In the last couple of games he has overseen 3 excellent results, and has managed periods of excellent play in those games. We have also see periods in those games where we have appeared too defensive, or have simply backed ourselves into a corner. Instead of slating the manager for it, it is something I have come to expect.

While a better manager could perhaps get even more out of this set of players, they also would not put up with the rubbish that comes with being an employee of Mike Ashley.

• 64 martoon // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Ciaran – fair enough – I think your assessment is absolutely spot on that Pardew is the best manager we can expect under the current regime.

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Our Toon,
    I’m not sure the second half assessment is right, certainly in most games we are outplayed for at least 1 half, but it is generally only the second half if we are ahead. Think Everton, Hull for examples of reverse roles.

It is worrying, and something that I really want to see resolved from Pardew. For me, he is overly cautious and if we get a lead, he closes up. Yes, we don’t have to keep forcing the game, but sitting deep and allowing opposition to come on to us doesn’t work. Obviously the other team have a say, which is the usual retort to this, but we don’t help ourselves by sitting back.

I think despite the 3 good results the only real tactical success was Chelsea. Spurs on any other day could have been a repeat of a couple of years ago. Norwich, we did well in the first half, and could of still nicked another in the second, but we sat too deep generally, and allowed them to play higher up the park.

• 66 yo-yo // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM

martoon

Agree and would go further – it is in our interests that Pardew overachieves because we are stuck with him. He got us 5th and came within a whisker of winning the FA Cup. An FA Cup Final and 5th would be a reasonable season imo.

Football is a game of two halves and they are often unrecognisable as the same game because of players getting pumped up at half time when they’re down and because of tactical changes – as well as the no-lose style of play which is so risky. We should all hope for more consistency but we are no different from a lot of sides – a game can pivot on a single good or bad decision and in the end its down to player confidence and being able to dig in – that is why a sending off often means 11 have a tougher challenge against 10.

• 67 banjax // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Three wins and already Ashley is rubbing his hands at a £20m payday for Tim Krull. Newcastle will never achieve anything other than mediocrity if we continue to sell our best players. For gods sake Mr Ashley why don’t you sell up or put your money where your mouth is and show some spirit and ambition.

• 68 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Banjax,
    Other than Carroll, which turned out to be a cracking deal, which top player has he sold to get his hands on cash??

• 69 Tsunki // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Krul to Arsenal in Jan? Poor move as Tim will get many more chances to showcase his skill at the toon :) I think it’s likely he will go in summer though.

Are we really still pondering over whether we sat back 2nd half against Norwich? Even the result tells you all you need to know. Over cautious by Pards, they were there for target practice. Man U dropped off and paid the price. When you are flying against a team there should be no relent or they will gain morale. We could also have given the likes of Hatem a confidence boost by putting him on earlier. Still, maybe he was thinking of tired internationals…

• 70 yo-yo // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Banjax

Another theory is that the current side’s valuation will increase the overall capital value of the club – som it might make more sense to hang on to our best players if he wants to sell at a profit.

• 71 yo-yo // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Tsunki

But at least we know that if we are up for it Manure are beatable on their home turf

• 72 RonVanDam // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Wojciech Szczesny signed a long term contract with arsenal about a week ago. This story is a non starter. Stop reading the daily mail for gossip ed haha

• 73 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Why are people failing to acknowledge that teams with lots of internationals were likely to fade in the second half. Better to play within themselves when 2-0 up than risk burning out after 70 mins.

• 74 Tsunki // Nov 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Yo-yo don’t get me wrong I am just moaning about the application of a killer blow that dismantles an opponent and scares upcoming teams. I think it was Stanley Matthews who was asked why he stepped up his showboating against a team that was already being beaten by a margin of goals, and his reply was to the effect that it demoralised them beyond the hope of any rallying comeback. We need to get some swagger when we are on the hunt. Pards still has us unsure of ourselves even when on top.

• 75 Tsunki // Nov 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Toondarnsarf. @ 73 I did say that tbf

• 76 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM

TDS,
    Teams with lots of internationals may well fade, we had Shola and Cabaye starting who actually played for their national teams during the break and started for us. 2 of those were taken off so should we have been fatigued? Shola hadn’t played since Monday either.

• 77 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Apologies, that post was all over the place. Initially I had listed Remy, but then checked and he was an unused sub – hence the “2 of those”. Both who played through the week were taken off. One of those actually stayed on longer than normal as well! I hardly think we can use that as a particularly valid excuse for being pushed so deep in the latter stages.

• 78 bills-son // Nov 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Banjax,

Your post at 67 is pure hype.

As Lil says, name a player we have sold purely for cash other than screwing £35M out of Lfool for AC.

And even then. Llambias said Ashley turned down £30M and insisted on £35M in cash.

Arsenal won’t pay £20M for Krul and neither will anyone else. If they would I’d snap their hands off because as good as he is he’s no Schmeicel or Buffon – he’s on a par with Given at the same age imo.

• 79 ToonDarnSarf // Nov 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Tsunki

Nice one! :-)

Though I don’t understand why everyone hasn’t realised that.

• 80 Crawfordladd17 // Nov 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I think we are 5 top players from having a very good team, like top 8, which means getting rid of a few deadwood, like Obertan, Gosling and Amalfitano.
    Get another Cabaye type player with flair. Buy Remy and another top forward. Also a winger who is good, same type as Gourffan or a bit more than what Marveaux has. Get another centre back to replace the ageing Coloccini. Also a right back who can compete with Debuchy or provide cover in the defence.

• 81 Ancientcoptic // Nov 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Banjax said ”Newcastle will never achieve anything other than mediocrity if we continue to sell our best players.”

Fail!