In-Form Newcastle Player Could Be On Bench On Saturday

All that Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa wants to do at the moment is to keep playing well for Newcastle, but there’s now a chance he will be a substitute in our next game, when West Brom come visiting next Saturday.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa  987

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – could be on the bench on Saturday

That’s because Coloccini came back into the side last Saturday in the 2-1 win over Norwich City, and he will keep his place for Saturday, and we cannot see Mathieu Debuchy being left on the bench, after he served his one match suspension on Saturday, for picking up five yellow cards.

So it looks like Mapou will be the one to miss out. 🙁

This is what the 24 year-old defender had to say in the local press today:

“It was excellent for France to beat Ukraine. I had confidence in the team, that they would turn it around, that they would qualify. I know that they are a good set of players.”

“It’s not frustrating for me to be out of the team. They’ve done very well to qualify. If I continue to play well for my team and keep on winning, that’s all I can do.”We don’t really want to look too far ahead

“The World Cup is a long time away and if I can have a good season with Newcastle, then I have a chance.”

Once Colo was brought back into the starting line-up on Saturday, and the successful Williamson – Yanga-Mbiwa partnership was split up – it was always very probable that Coloccini would keep his place in defense, and it looks to us that Mbiwa-Yanga could be left out of the starting side on Saturday – which would be very unfair.

And the Frenchman has already played in every single position in the back four for Newcastle, since joining us last January from Marseilles, so he can play anywhere.

What do you think the back four should be for next Saturday’s late kick-off game against West Brom?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• bills-son

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me if Mbiwa got Santon’s place at LB.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM

TDS, Re post
    Away on international duty in France and Holland for the main part. Hardly tasked by rigours of travel. Ameobi has been in the UK since Sunday as Nigeria played at Craven Cottage.

Saying that they were fatigued and that is why we were on the back foot later in the game is laughable when only 2 of them actually set foot on a pitch!! Tiote wasn’t away, he wasn’t selected due to suspension.

Of course teams are going to fight back into the game, but we saw on numerous occasions last season Pardew actually instructing players to drop deeper. That isn’t good play. As I have said, it wasn’t as bad as it has been in the past, and hopefully it is a sign he is adapting, but it is still a major flaw in the manager. Until he proves otherwise it will remain so. Hiding behind an international break is just ludicrous.

As it happens, Norwich had the same number of players on international duty in their match day 18 as we did, and between their 7 they played more minutes than our 7. So, who should have been fatigued?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I’m trying not to be negative, as I am happy as long as I see improvements in tactics, style and performances. The fact we are getting results is a bonus! I said that while Pardew is here their is always an opportunity for him to grow and improve himself as a manager, and I would like nothing more than him to do that and make those calling for his head eat their words. I thought Chelsea was a superb game plan from him. The same couldn’t be said about Spurs and Norwich as we were hanging on more than looking assured.

I thought there were improvements in the way Pards handled being in the lead, but it still wasn’t great. I just think saying it was down to internationals is just a ludicrous statement. particularly given the actual facts of Norwich players involved on Saturday playing more international minutes then our own.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM

John Anderson on BBC Newcastle total sport said that he though mbiwa might make way for debuchy…not claiming inside knowledge he just said that he thinks it’s what the manager will do.

Up until a month or so ago I would have agreed…but we have seen cisse dropped, ben arfa dropped, colo not walking back in like he did last year when fit.

• NUFCarter

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

All my respect for Pardew will be out the window if he drops mapou or Williamson for colloccini.

• bob52

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Must not happen, the defence was sound against chelsea and spurs, debuchy will return and collo should return to the bench, why disrupt a winning formula. Collo is determined to return to Argentina in the summer, I agree with comments on his blog about his lack of ability in the air, would he have cleared that ball off the line against spurs, his reactions are nowhere as fast as Mbiwa.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

bob52

I agree I think that we need to look to the best team currently, and thats without colo and also the long term which doesn’t involve colo.

• low fell mag

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Spot on Bob @ blog 6

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I think John Anderson will probably be right. I don’t agree, Colo should make way in my opinion otherwise where is the incentive to perform well if you are dropped anyway. Not to mention Colo will be gone soon, and if we can build without him now then the departure will be felt less.

• roy

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM

The only one i would like to see benched is Coloccini.

• swemag

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

These are good problems. The kind of problems you would normally see at Chelsea or Arsenal.

Even after Colloccini we have Taylor, Dummet and Haidara.

• yo-yo

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Tsunki

The psychology of the killer blow during a game is definitely something to pursue…its a good point.

If Cisse’s goal had stood then 3-1 would have been quite respectable. The side did look for another goal and also did close the game down after Norwich scored. We had two forwards on as subs – and on form you’d have put money on one of them scoring.
    I do think Pardew wants them to go for the killer blow but somehow his caution gives them mixed messages at times. The French had had a couple of very hard games and Cabs was noticeably less fresh than normal so I’m not really complaining – but I do want to see an end of just trying to protect 1-0 scorelines and always go for the second killer goal – which was SAF’s trademark tactic – unless of course its the Gooners away and we’re a goal up with ten minutes to go :). I’m okay with 4-5-1 then…

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM

If M’biwa gets dropped then Pardew is an idiot with no balls .

Collo has already said he is away ASAP, so he doesn’t deserve to be in team . M’biwa is just starting to get used to the league and the clearance against Spurs was unbelievable .

To drop him for a player that was at fault for their goal and was caught sleeping at the back to let Redmond in is ridiculous .

Not to mention we kept clean sheets against Spurs & Chelsea with Willo & M’biwa , then Collocini comes back in and we concede against Norwich .

• yo-yo

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

bob

The thing is that we had Saylor and Colo two years ago with 15 odd games as a pairing and they gelled pretty well then. Now we have had Willo and Mbiwa on form and also gelling against some top teams and that is as good a reason to return to that CB paring as you’ll see. Trouble is that Pardew has also to man manage Colo til the end of the season so don’t be surprised if he keeps Colo in the side – even though Willo has hit a run of decent form and balances Mbiwa in the side really well – and he is the future. I wonder if Fer’s goal would have been better defended by Willo/Mbiwa .. but we’ll never know.

• Ian Toon

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Lilongwe- I think it’s fair to say that your looking to be positive. Can I briefly make a few observations on a specific game and football in general.

On the recent winning run of games – comments made by fans could broadly be categorised by what I call the CUDDA, WUDDA and SHUDDA of football.

On beating Spurs simply put – we had the best performing player in Tim Krul and we scored and they didn’t . Those that sought to suggest that the stats indicated we were fortunate to win clearly discount and don’t value that the team gave an excellent disciplined defensive performance. Maybe were just not used to this but we do have a side set up to counter attack whilst keeping a higher line. That’s why for me it’s Yanga at CB.

• santonthenewmaldini

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Thing is West Brom have really fast attackers Sessegnon , Long and Anichebe could cause us a lot of problems with their movement and power If we play Colo it means no chance of a high line Mbiwa is essential to cover against fast attackers

West Broms defence is pretty poor Remy and Gouffran will carve them open like last seasons away game we should have been about 3 or 4 nil up before half time and they have the same defence and we have Remy now although they did batter us with Lukaku in the 2nd half

Watch this Colo will play and have a total stormer of a game and we will wonder what all the fuss was about heres hoping !

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Ian,
    I agree, Yanga has to start. I disagree that we play a high line. We regularly sit too deep which is why we struggle to hold the ball up front, the gaps are too big for players to make up in time.

I agree with Yo-yo’s assessment that Pards is trying to solve this problem that we have, but also his natural more cautious and defensive instinct come across which leaves us doing neither properly.

On spurs, it is no problem that Tim Krul saved us, that is what he is paid to do, so that isn’t a problem, but I do think that it masked the display slightly. We afforded them too much space and allowed them to play too close to our area. Disciplined and organised, maybe. But too deep and standing/backing off too were also features of that display.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Santonthenewmaldini,
    West Brom’s problems have been scoring mate. Scored less than all the top 10 except Spurs. There defence on the other hand has conceded the joint least number of goals outside the top 5…..

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Here we go again, another quote from one of our boys

Cabaye has told French radio station RTL he “misses the Champions League” but remains focused on “the next few months” at #Newcastle. #NUFC

Utter twoddle, but you can guarantee it will be twisted to Cabaye wants out come Jan after the next few months are up…

• yo-yo

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Yeh Lilo and I miss the CL too but it’s a hard life at the Toon

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Yohan Cabaye: ‘I miss the Champions League. I will work hard for Newcastle this season…then we will see.’

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yoyo,
    I prefer the Europa League, it means that Newcastle games are guaranteed to be on TV the following weekend as they are on the Sunday. Saturday 3 o’clocks are too hit and miss!!

• scout

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Can’t believe people talking about a killer blow to finish teams off, come on lads 3 wins in a row. Some people just need something to moan about. Get a grip, we ain’t no man.u. There’s also a lack of praise for pardew, well done I say

• toonbrother

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

i hope colocinni starts he deserves to

• Graeme

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

The CB’s, for Saturday should be M’biwa & Willo, no doubt about it. Collo can be on the bench, Its where he deserves to be. The Incumbents are there on MERIT and have done nothing to remotely justify being dropped.

• Graeme

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Shane Long scored 2 crackin goals agains villa, superb 1st touch, gave defence, keeper no chance

• Rotonda heights

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM

toonbrother

you’re being ironic – right?

• Foxworth

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

People on here still not interested in Shane Long???

I think he’d be a brilliant buy for us. Some performance tonight already 😀

• Big Pappa Cissé

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM

We already have a player like Long but better in Gouffran .

No thanks .

• santonthenewmaldini

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM

@Foxworth

He would be a great squad member would be a total upgrade on Obertan/Marv and would give us an option off the bench Palace had a 4 million bid I think it was accepted in the summer and he is out of contract next year so we may try get him for about say 2 or 3 million would be good business

• Foxworth

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Hull I think it was. Definitely could get him in Jan.

He’s the committed type of player who’d excel here. Hope we get him myself 😀

• bills-son

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Can’t understand why WBA seem prepared to let Long go. Steve Clarke is no mug so there must be a reason.

I’d have him for £2M not just because that is cheap but because he would definitely be an asset to the squad.

• mickg108

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM

M’Bwia & Anita,are being Dropped,for our so called ” Purple Players”,,if I was either I’d be Purple with rage..Anita for Tiote,was unwarranted & M’Bwia for Colo “Who am I supposed to be marking”,,am I in Argentina yet” Sideshow Blob,is a Ferking Urine Take.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Got to have MBiwa in on Saturday as he has the speed to match Long. Colo to slow now

• lesh

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Lilongwe Geordie // @19

Well spotted – getting that tweet onto the site now means that the ‘news’ won’t be a surprise when it hits tomorrows press. Stay vigilant!

Given the Remy [SD site] story, maybe thus has come from one of Ashley’s cronies! (See my comment on previous thread for context of my cynicism)

• yo-yo

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

good point charlie

• bills-son

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM

West Brom sitting back on a lead,

Or a great come back by Villa?

• woolerbill

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Who let Norwich head a late goal, Colo. We have two that have done a God job and should continue their partnership. Colo in for tiote, perfect spot for the slow man.

• mindshaft

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Jeez – Benteke makes Cisse look like Mr Onside – he is constantly offside despite his team mates telling him to watch the line

West Brom looked okay 1st half, look shite this half, sound familiar?

• bills-son

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Drop Tiote?

He’s back to near his best form.