The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Top Newcastle Midfielder – I Miss The Champions League

11:56 pm, Monday, November 25th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

It may well be that Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye will again seek a move away from Newcastle United in the summer, as he has told French web-site RTL that he misses playing in the Champions League – the top club competition in Europe.

Newcastle United v Liverpool - Barclays Premier League

Yohan Cabaye – final season at Newcastle?

But at least Yohan has promised that he will stay with Newcastle until the end of the season, and then take things from there, once he has played for France in the World Cup in Brazil.

Yohan has been in good form for Newcastle so far this season, and he was the best man on the pitch in France’s fantastic 3-0 win over Ukraine in Paris last Tuesday, and that win means that France got through to the finals in Brazil next summer.

Cabaye had this to say to RTL:

“I miss the Champions League,” “I’ll finish this season with Newcastle and concentrate on the coming months and then we’ll see.”

“I love to play in front of the defense, to have the whole game in front of me. To recover the ball and then put my team-mates into good positions.”

“I want to support Ribery win the Ballon d’Or,” “He has done everything to have it, he deserves it. He carries Bayern Munich and Les Bleus.”

“In comparison to the big countries, we’re only missing a little confidence. Not much is expected of us in Brazil.”

Cabaye played in the Champions League back in the 2006-07 campaign with Lille, but it’s very unlikely he will reach the Champions League with Newcastle any time soon.

And part of that is the lack of ambition under owner Mike Ashley, who seems content to have Newcastle in the Premier League top ten.

And as long as this level of ambition is at Newcastle, it will cost us some of our best players with Loic Remy also likely to join a club in the summer that regularly plays in the Champions League, once his season long loan deal is over next May.

The best players want to play in the top league in Europe, and you can hardly blame them for that.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: European Champions League · European Competition · Premier League · World Cup 2014 · Yohan Cabaye

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 nufc7lad // Nov 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

As well as Shola played at the weekend, he hasnt scored a premier league goal in well over a year (last one was against QPR in a 1-0 win), as a centre forward, you are judged by goals, HBA has that spark which provides goals

Regars to Colo, he is our captian, so he should start, (Williamson has limitations, Shane Long would run rings around him, and we cant afford to do that, based on his performance tonight vs Villa), when Colos at his best, we all know how good he can be, we need his experience

• 2 mickg108 // Nov 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

It’s only taken Cabaye 6 Years to miss The ” Champions League”,,not exactly Wor ” Brightest or Sharpest Crayon”,,is He ?.

• 3 boater // Nov 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM

For the record, Shola’s last league goal (QPR) was less than a year ago. He created the ‘spark’ for the 2nd and sent 2 players clean through on Saturday. He doesn’t score enough, and shouldn’t start every game, but he is instrumental in creating a platform for the likes of Remy, and formerly Ba and Cisse. And their goals have won us the matches.

It’s working now, because we have a SYSTEM at last halleluljah.. sometimes that’s even more effectove than £multi-million team sheets cobbled together like Chelsea and Spurs – as we saw.

The build em up, knock em down tendency on here is crazy. It’s only a matter of time before Shola and Willo are back to being punch bags for the mob. i.e. a loss.

Plus Williamson is also experienced in this league.

That’s all.

• 4 ToonArfa // Nov 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM

————–krul————
    Debuchy-mbiwa-willo-santon
    ——–tiote—colo———–
    Sissoko—cabaye—-gouffran
    ————-remy————
    Bring on benarfa cisse shola if u wanna go more direct…. perfect!

• 5 89Norcal // Nov 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM

@nufc7lad
    True about Shola but to bring back Hatem we need a better system then having him on the wing. Wingers need to defend to a degree, especially when we have Debuchy bombing down on that side all the time.

The left has been susceptible enough due to Santon’s failings, but to weaken the right side as well could leave us too open.

So even though Shola isn’t banging them in, he’s serving his purpose. Would be nice if we could just use 4-3-3 with Cisse but he cant buy one.

I disagree Colo should start though. He might have been captain but others have subbed in well enough, plus he was caught out on Fer’s goal. Why shake up what’s working.

• 6 OhSholaAmeobi // Nov 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM

so what? let him do what he wants.

• 7 Sav // Nov 26, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I miss the Champions’ League. That’s a euphemism for ‘I want to be paid top euro’. Not that I begrudge Cabaye or Remy maximising their earnings but let’s call a spade a spade.

• 8 Ciaran // Nov 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Sayonara Cabaye, he’s off in the summer. You’d be insane to think otherwise.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Nov 26, 2013 at 4:55 AM

I’m on the works computer at the moment, although I’m in China Norwegian messages keep popping up from the server, it looks like the company have sh!t hot security and are blocking all the crap on here, as for my android devices, I have installed Chrome, that hasn’t worked I’ve installed AVG, I already had Norton, they haven’t worked, it has got where I literally can’t use my phone or tablet to check the blog and now it’s started to infect other sites, ideas anyone.

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 26, 2013 at 5:27 AM

J4A…I have the same problems on my. android devices :-(

…I have no idea what to do! I was told to install something callled adaway, but google don’t like these apps so you have to do it around google play and I simply cannot get that to work!

If you figure that out please. let me know ;-)

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Nov 26, 2013 at 5:43 AM

I might have to spend an hour on the phone to Samsung when I get back, I’ve heard about getting it reset to factory settings, but that means all your sh!t has to be backed up and all you apps reinstalled, dunno why this site is infected so badly.

• 12 Magickit // Nov 26, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Believe me or not. I think Santon will be dropped and HBA will return to starting.
    Santon played so many games this year already.

————–krul————
    Debuchy-Willo-Collo-Mbiwa
    Tiote—Sissoko
    Gouffran—Cabaye—-HBA
    Remy

- HBA cannot play with the same side with Debuchy and Santon because both of them like attacking.

- He can definitely shine in front of Mbiwa

- Sissoko can also help to cover LB/LM so well

- Gourffran covered RB

- Dont switch side with HBA/ Gourffran as we all saw the result with HBA+Debs

• 13 Santon03 // Nov 26, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Regarding the back four and the team doing so well, this will be noticed by international coaches. With the hope of going to World Cup as much as I want to see the same back four against chelsea and Spurs, I think we will see Debuchy, Colo, Mbiwa, and Santon because these 4 players want to go to World Cup and actually these 4 players are the ones who had a chance making it into their national teams. I can’t imagine Willo, Saylor, Dummet, or any other than those 4 players will be picked for their antional teams.

• 14 Assam Toon // Nov 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Cabaye playing for newcastle is a bit odd actually. But a move to arsenal would be equally odd. He wont get to play every match there. he should go to italy in my opinion. He will absolutely dictate play in teams like roma, milan, inter etc. If he can keep his confidence up, he can be such an influential player. he deserves to be in an ambitious team and play CL. to label him greedy would be wrong. besides since all we want is top 10, we dont need a cabaye for that, once he is gone sissoko will fill his place and vacate the right hand side to HBA, who till then would be getting less games hopefully, which in turn will keep him off market. ashley has got it all planned mates, just sit back and relax…and stagnate in mediocrity.

• 15 Santon03 // Nov 26, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Unless there will be miracle changing the formation into 3-5-2 with 2 wing backs acting as winger as well.
    ———————–Krul———————-
    ———————-Colo———————–
    ————Willo—————Mbiwa———-
    Debuchy————-Tiote—————Santon
    ———–Sissoko————Cabaye———-
    ————-Gouffran/HBA (Free role)———
    ———————-Remy———————

But I prefer Gouffran because of his work rate, I also noticed last game when HBA came on, he also work much harder than before. The problem with HBA is still trying to beat everyone therefore more chance losing the ball.

• 16 Santon03 // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Assam

I heard Roma is trying to get him with Ruddy Garcia his old coach and they will be playing in CL next year. It will be great combo DeRossi and Cabaye, I hope if he moves, he will be moving to non-epl team.

• 17 Whumpie // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Cabs needs to improve if he wants a move to a CL team: http://www.squawka.com/news/2013/11/25/lucky-escape-why-wenger-was-wrong-to-target-this-midfield-maestro/2013112536887
    In the mean time I wish he’d shut TF up.

• 18 bills-son // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:12 AM

AssamToon,

You’ve been reading this blog too much if you think being a top 10 Prem team is stagnating in mediocrity.

In the 50 years I’ve supported the Toon I reckon we’ve finished in the top 10 less than ten times.

Boro are stagnating in mediocrity at the mo – we aren’t by a long long way.

• 19 Rotonda heights // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Lille never do anything in Europe any way, a bit like celtic and rangers so can’t see how he misses it that much.

• 20 Rotonda heights // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:17 AM

If MYM is dropped for Colo I will be very upset

• 21 Santon03 // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM

JFA & Jesper

I don’t think any apps can help getting rid of adds.
    It’s attached to whatever apps you downloaded, by installing something else you will make it worse.
    If you don’t want adds then don’t install additional apps. Google play doesnt mean it’s guarantee adds or malware free. Especially the free apps because they all trying to make money and giving free stuff means no money.

I’m not too sure this site is compatible with phone mode, so if you want to open it has to be in web mode.

• 22 bills-son // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Rotunda,

You only ever hear the answers to questions, never the question.

If Cabaye is asked “do you miss playing in the Champs Lge” he isn’t going to say “no of course of I don’t”.

All we hear is the obvious answer.

• 23 valle // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM

If we had a good owner I wouldnt be that worried by Cabaye moving on. That said, we dont have a good owner, and I am not sure that we will replace him with a suitable target. They are out there for sure, but they wont come as cheap as Cabs did again. Colo can move on as well, we actualy played better without him, only thing is we wont get a single dime for him… Only problem is Remy, he will be hard to replace.

• 24 Santon03 // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Why everything has to be connected with how good or bad is the owner?

• 25 lesh // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Jesper @10

The Adaway you mentioned’ll be Adaway and Sche

• 26 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Santon
    So Williamson deserves to be dropped because colo has more chance of going to the World Cup?
    What the hell does that have to do with anything!

Williamson SHOULD be starting, because he’s earned the right to play, the same goes for Mbiwa
    Just like Tiote has earned the right to wear the armband, cabaye was stripped of the captaincy for trying engineer a move so why has colo been handed it back and gifted a starting spot when coming out and saying he wants to leave as soon as possible

• 27 lesh // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Rotonda heights

I’m sure that Paedew will note your comment that you’ll be very upset if MYMs dropped!

• 28 bills-son // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Valle,

Even if we had a different owner and a top Champs Lge team came in for any of our players they would want to go.

Until, and if, we get a City or Chelsea type owner that will never change.

I keep saying it, even Suarez wanted to leave Lpool because they are no longer one of the top teams in Europe.

• 29 estechco // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Jail/Jesper – Have you tried Dolphin as your browser on Android? I seem to be using that without any problems. You may also be advised to look at what features your router has built into its firmware to block certain sites?

On Windows machines you can also tinker with the hosts file (Google search will explain it) and essentially block loads of sales based sites, which helps not just with this site, but the t’internet generally?

• 30 estechco // Nov 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM

…as Santon03 also mentions, I tend to use Desktop mode rather than Mobile (which I find generally gash)

• 31 mickg108 // Nov 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Lads download http://www.adblockplus.org

& http://www.malwarebytes.org

Both do Android versions & are Free.

previous post: In-Form Newcastle Player Could Be On Bench On Saturday