The Newcastle Lesson For Today

If  football teams wants to be successful, then there’s one thing they have to become, and that’s consistent, and that means they have to play well against the lesser teams in football as well as the top teams.

yoan gouffran seocdn goal norwich

Fabricio Coloccini congratulates Yoan Gouffran on Saturday
Yoan had just scored Newcastle’s second goal

And that seems exactly what Newcastle are trying to do this season, and while the performance against Norwich  City was not great on Saturday, the lads got the job done to get us our third league win in a row.

And that’s what captain Fabricio Coloccini talks about today in the local press – playing well against every team:

“Sometimes we have not done well against teams who are down near the bottom of the table. Maybe we have thought it was going to be easy. That is dangerous.”

“Against big teams your motivation and concentration are always high, but in these matches we need to be at the same level.” “We can have a much better season than last year.”

“We have shown we can compete with the best teams in the Premier League, but now it is up to us to keep our performances at that level.”

“I have been here five years and we always have great games against the big teams but we have to play the same against every side we come up against.”

“We all want the same, Newcastle to be playing well and the club back in the top 10.”

Well Newcastle are in the top ten right now, and we have moved up to 8th place and we are 2 points out of 4th place and 4 points out of second place – unbelievable.

All that matters right now is that Newcastle single mindedly concentrate on how to get three points out of a good West Brom side on Saturday at St. James’ Park.

And then after that – how to get 3 points at Swansea City a week tomorrow, and then at Manchester United the following Saturday.

Those are tough games coming up, but no tougher than the three games we have gained nine points from.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Ciaran

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

If we finish 10th that will be a ‘much better season than last season’ – still doesn’t make it a good season Colo.

• DokToon

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM

with all due respect ciaran, he said in the top ten, not finish tenth…

• Ciaran

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Dok

I wasn’t referencing what Colo said about top 10. I was saying that 10th would be a much better season in comparison to the fact that we finished 16th last season. But just because you have improved upon the season before does not mean you have had a good season.

• DokToon

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

ciaran,

ill take any improvement over 16th as a stepping stone… but no need to settle, ill give you that…

now about that table youre being drunk under by yours truly 🙂

• DokToon

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM

i do think next match and the month of december will be a huge test for us, matches we should win, and matches we will be delighted to get points from…

west brom
    swans
    manure
    southampton
    stoke
    arsenal

good results can give us a boost of confidence going into the window….

• NUFCarter

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I think Colo’s just admitted they underestimate the lesser teams. no wonder we lose to the likes of Hull and Sunderland

• barkel

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Dok

After recent results we could beat all of those teams, if our current first XI stay fit/free from suspension. I don’t think we will win all of them and of course we could as easily lose every one but I’m not as worried as I was last season going into every game.

• Our Toon

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Finishing 5th we over achieved, think if we had finished 10th we would have been happy that season. Top 8 for last season and we finished 16th massively underperformed, because we underperformed it doesn’t mean the squad should be looking at 10th as an improvement because it wouldn’t be. Top 8 would be and improvement, top 10 satisfactory, outside top 10 and the season has been another let down

• mindshaft

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I reckon we’ll definitely finish top 10 barring an injury crisis, we won’t be selling or buying a load of players come January although I wouldn’t mind at least one incoming with poss Gosling/Obertan going out to free up wages – problem is finding a buyer for them
    I’ll stick my neck out and say 7th as I expect Southampton to drop along with Everton based on nothing in particular
    Anyway I’m gonna stick a tenner on top four finish at 15 / 1 ( pretty poor odds if you ask me)

• Ciaran

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Dok

I do long for the days when we dared to claim we were as good as Liverpool, much bigger than Spurs and Everton, and didn’t accept that we were competing for ‘best of the rest’.

Say what you like about Shepherd and Hall, but we at the very least tried to compete.

• Our Toon

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM

We might have won last 3 games but we have conceded possession to all 3 teams and also conceded a lot of chances to them teams!! Out of them 3 games how many have we actually dominated? Chelsea at 0-0 Etoo had 2 chances Debuchy blocked one when it looked certain they would score and Mapou’s slide when the ball hit his hand (that was going in and no Pen was given) Spurs well less said the better!! Norwich shocking 2nd half, squeaky bum time and it didn’t need to be like that!! Spurs and Norwich have struggled for goals this season and it showed by the chances they missed but both created ample opportunities, think only West Ham have struggled in upcoming games though

We need to be realistic and enjoy this little run as it won’t go on forever but also lets not paper over the performances which have been inconsistent and abject at times.

• roy

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM

If Pardew can keep Coloccini on the bench and sign a decent centre half and another striker there is no reason this team will not finish in the top five.

• DokToon

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM

in those next 6, i can realistically see 11 points our way… maybe more if we stay on form…

anywys, i like to believe we moving onwards and upwards… my beer is always half full lol…

• Ciaran

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I do not want people to see my views as being negative or cynical because that is not the manner in which they are intended. I am trying to be realistic. I wish I could support the club in a ‘week to week’ basis and say “I like the football we’ve played for the last 3 weeks and I am happy” and it would appear that it is true what they say, ignorance is bliss.

However, if you love something you love all of it, every aspect of it, and you hate those who seem intent on hurting what you love. That is where I stand with Mike Ashley. He has hurt this club once too often and I can never forgive him, nor can I trust him to look after it and push for sustained success if we manage to over-achieve again.

People say that I do not understand where Mike Ashley is coming from, but the problem stems from the fact that we all know where he is coming from – he wants to make as much money as possible. No more no less. What’s more is that he wants to do that by keeping costs low while the TV money rolls in.

Like I say, I am pleased with recent results, but I won’t get carried away. If results turn on us, I won’t get carried away with that either.

As far as I am concerned, it doesn’t really matter if we finish 5th or 17th, because the overreaching objective of Mike Ashley will still have been achieved – stay in the PL.

• Ted Bundy

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Ruddy is a muckem.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

ciaran

I know what you mean, I think we are slow to buy but that’s not my biggest concern as the squad is moving forward, even if its a slow process.

My issue with Ashley is the lack of respect for fans., tradition, the people he hires (JFK, Wise, etc)….and to me it seems like he just doesn’t care what we think, nothing done out of malice to us, just not thinking what people want.

• Ciaran

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Sage

He knows what we want. He knows we want to see exciting football, to challenge for cups, to push top 6 in the league. We’re Newcastle United, every bugger in the world – or at the very least, in this country, knows what we want. He just does not want to give it to us.

Now whether that is out of sheer business sense or malice is up for interpretation. I personally think he is devising an exit strategy and does not want to spend a penny more than he needs to.

However, there are serious questions about whether the money that fans are paying, thinking they are contributing to the club, does in fact contribute to the club, and that worries me.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM

how i see owning a club, which has over 100 years of tradition, you owe the fans, they have what has kept it going over the years, nothing else.

I think a club should be like old buildings or art, protected by law (like a listed building) so certain changes cannot take place such as moving cities and then other changes need to be done with a large percentage of fan support.

I don’t think Ashley has done anything that bad, changing the name is the closest to it, but this is in general with a lot looking to rename.

• Our Toon

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Dok

You missed out Palace away

Think Swansea, Man Utd and Southampton will be very tough games. Palace away with a new manager will be tough and Arsenal at home, only lost to Man Utd away from home, seem to be in good form away from emirates

• Transfer Sage

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

ciara

I think we are progressing, just very slowly as not spending ahead of what we bring in….not a terrible idea but occasionaly need that boost of investment every now and then…even if just buy a couple players but pay installments, i don’t know exact business details so wont suggest too much.

But i don’t think he does anything out of malice.

What makes you think he is leaving? just curious

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Next month I think could go a long way in sorting the premiership out with a lot of the top ten teams playing each other:
    1 Dec, Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

our toon @19…

i sure did, lol…

• Ciaran

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Sage

For future reference, Ciara is an Irish girl’s name 😛

Well in a small part it is wishful thinking as if this is his method of running the club in the long run – keeping costs down, and taking money from the club to pay the debts, then that outlook is too bleak for me to even consider.

• UpAndHatem

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Ted Bundy @ 15

Happy Birthday….. hope you didn’t burn your eyebrows when you blew out your 12 candles!

• DokToon

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

i know what a mackem is, is a muckem soemone who cleans out horse stalls, relative to manure? lol

• Transfer Sage

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

ciaran

sorry was a typo haha

I think it’s not great but not horrible, still get some decent players in too so we can play some good football.

I’m not sure where he will go though, if newcastle costs him nothing to run not sure why people think he’d go to rangers, his sports direct gets much more publicity with us around the world than it would with rangers.

• bobby mango

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM

“we always have great games against the big teams”…. do we!?

We have an odd good performance but we’re by no means giant killers. City, Utd, Ars usually walk over us.

Agree we fail to put away smaller teams. We always seem to be the club other, weak, clubs break their bad runs against. Like Derby winning one game all season, which was against us!

• Ciaran

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Sage

Well I personally want greater transparency from the club regarding certain aspects of finances. I’ve sort of come to terms that the playing side of things will go up and down, but the off-field running of the club is very murky indeed.

• UpAndHatem

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Mindshaft @ 9

Interesting. Looking at the fixture list I would expect Southampton to fall away and possibly Spurs too in the short term. The fixtures list can be both cruel and kind as the mackems will testify to this season! Looking at Everton’s fixtures, they are pretty well distributed and I expect they may well maintain a healthy league position. We too have the opportunity to cement and perhaps improve our league position in the coming weeks. My only worry is maintaining a consistent run coupled with our usual poor Xmas/ New Year form!

• Ciaran

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Perhaps the potential of CL is something that appeals to him. The relative cost of getting to the CL in Scotland is much lower than in England. The financial rewards of getting into the group stages every year (if they had a team capable of getting through the qualifiers) would be very tempting indeed.

• martoon

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM

When I was at the match on Saturday looking around the ground I noticed there are a hell of a lot more SD signs than Wonga ones and certainly more prominent beside the Newcastle United sign and on the roof. I know if I was Wonga I would not be happy if I had paid to sponsor the ground and change its name. You start to wonder whether this was a real deal or just a stunt to smooth over the Wonga shirt sponsorship?

• Transfer Sage

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM

ciaran

get much more in prem league…we broke even without extra tv money

and rangers aren’t guaranteed of making groups every year, like you say qualifiers can be tricky.

• UpAndHatem

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ciaran @ 30

I’ve given the Rangers or Toon topic some thought too.

I firmly believe Ashley’s intention would be to use Rangers as a vehicle to advertise Sports Direct to the CL audience.

However, I just can’t see Ashley giving up Newcastle United to buy Rangers. He must have some other strategy to use both clubs for advertising, Newcastle for the Worldwide Premier League audience and Rangers (eventually) for the CL audiences, that doesn’t rely on ownership.

He may just have to stump up some payment for the SD advertising with Rangers… somehow that seem’s unlikely!

• UpAndHatem

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

A bit of trivia:

The modern day UEFA Champions League commenced in 1993.

Newcastle United were only the third ever Premier League team to qualify for the UEFA Champions League, after Man Utd and Blackburn. They first did this in 1997 when only the top 2 teams in the Premier league qualified.

Arsenal first qualified in 1998 and Chelsea in 1999. Newcaslte qualified again in 2002 and 2003 under the great Sir Bobby Robson.

To this day only 9 different premier league teams have taken part in the UEFA Champions league, with only 6 of those including Newcastle United, having qualified on multiple occasions.

• UpAndHatem

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Correction:

To this day only 10 different premier league teams have taken part in the UEFA Champions league, with only 7 of those including Newcastle United, having qualified on multiple occasions.

Didn’t account for new boys on the block Man City!

• Ibizatoon

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM

UpAndHatem…Is is a somewhat exclusive club!

I think most fans appreciate the difficulty of getting in to the CL these days. I personally don’t think at all reasonable to expect or insist it is reached year in, year out.

I do however think it’s reasonable enough to have ambitions to reach the CL and to have an actual plan of how to try to get there.

• UpAndHatem

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Looks like a game of blog hide and seek and I’m it!

Well, time to go.

A+ (à plus tard)

• martoon

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM

The trouble is when we qualified for the CL there were not the Billionaire club owners like there are now making it virtually an exclusive club.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Ciaran,

if you want to deal in facts

Gouffran
    Sissoko
    M’Biwa
    Debuchy
    Haidara
    M’babu

Maths isn’t my strong point but I’m pretty sure that’s 6

• OhSholaAmeobi

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM

We should definitely be aiming for wins against West Brom (H), Swansea (A), Southampton (H), Palace (A) and Stoke (H). A very tough ask of course but beatable sides nonetheless.
    An unbeaten run would be nice even if it was mostly draws, anything near 30 points at the halfway mark is excellent.
    Let’s see some ruthlessness and resilience!