When You Say This About Newcastle – Whisper It And Lay Low

I talked to my son Neil last night, and we went over just how well Newcastle have played ion their last four games, and with a lot of the top teams having trouble this season – like Tottenham losing 6-0 at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday as one example – the stage could be set for Newcastle to go even higher from our current 8th position in the league table.

Newcastle United v Chelsea- Barclays Premier League

Alan Pardew – trying to keep handle on high expectations

But one thing the manager keeps telling everybody associated with Newcastle, is to keep our feet on the ground, but things are certainly looking good at the moment with this Newcastle side, with the new Frenchmen now coming through for the club – and we look a very good side – well let’s say a good side.

Newcastle have three league wins in a row right now, and that’s something not many Premier League teams can boast about this season.

But the goal has to be to extend that winning run as long as possible, starting with a good West Brom side on Saturday afternoon.

In fact we play three games by a week on Saturday, and we have Swansea next Wednesday at the Liberty Stadium, and then Manchester United at Old Trafford the following Saturday.

So there are three tough games coming up for Newcastle, as we start the very heavy December schedule, when we play seven league games through New Years Day, when we are at West Brom.

It will be interesting to see where we are positioned in the league table after that game on January 1st, but one thing in our favor is not just that our players are starting to gel well, but that we have very few injuries – in fact absolutely none at the moment.

So there’s a reason for optimism at Newcastle, but we’ll try to keep a lid on it.

But that’s not easy as a die-hard Newcastle supporter. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Completely agree with your last post Lilongwe. I don’t have any problem with players wanting to play CL football, in fact I knew that from the minute he signed. Only hope we have of keeping him would be to finish close to the CL places and agree to signing players to give it a go next season.

On Sissoko, from what I’ve seen, he hasn’t been playing as an out and out winger, it’s been more of a wide midfield role. Admittedly, I haven’t watched every minute of every game because I don’t use the streaming sites, but that’s a different role.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Poor Raylor…constantly forgotten when Ed talks about injuries…

• Transfer Sage

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

TDS

any reason you dont watch streams? or just busy and have other things to do?

• cyprus

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Ed, let’s not make too much fun of spurs, we haven’t had our annual thumping yet 😉

So Cabaye wants out. What?!

On Sissoko: Despite the relative dip I remain impressed with that lad. he has played centre holding, 10, 9, 7, 11 positions and has done his best in all. Definitely a versatile player. I still think box to box Toure is his position, but I do admire his application. He’s not that bad in this ‘unnatural’ position he’s playing now, certainly streets ahead of our ‘real’ 7, Obertan.

On HBA: Yes, despite recent criticism on this blog, we need to find him a place in the team. Ok, keep a winning team, but when a loss or two happens, we need this guy, our most talented player, to step up. The reason he tries to do it all, I think, is not what I read on this blog – glory etc. It’s because he tries to ‘save’ the team and he knows he can do it. AP needs to sort this ‘misunderstaning’: Others can save us too. Anyway, solution? Give him an entire second half next game. He won’t disappoint us. That’s a promise!! 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

So some people are going to get over optimistic now and think we’ll push on? Have they considered that we are placed about as expected? Or even that our players could be performing at their peak and may drop soon?

If fans start to think that we can challenge for the CL, then we’re just setting up a summer of “what ifs” and “no ambition”. 7th or 8th would do for me this season, but I know I’ll get caught up with it all if it looks like we could go higher with 5 or 6 games to go!

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

TS

My experience has been horrible virus ridden sites that are often poor quality. I also don’t want to watch a whole football match on a laptop screen in my second bedroom.

There’s only a certain number of passes a year that I can get for watching TV in the living room…my part of the bargain for not having to watch the Kardashians or similar rubbish!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM

TDS,
    Yes, Sissoko is playing more as a wide midfielder. We have 2 attacking and overlapping fullbacks who provide the width, and Debuchy is probably the best crosser of a ball we have from open play so makes sense to allow him the freedom to push.

I can’t watch streams due to Malawi not possessing great internet capabilities, but so far in the league the only game of ours not on TV here has been the Villa game – one bonus of being abroad, although I’m sure there are still plenty of boozers showing the foreign coverage back home.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM

TDS

I don’t expect champs league but think it will be enjoyable if we can push for it, or come somewhere near.

• cyprus

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM

TDS, you have my sympathy 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Lilongwe

I don’t have Sky Sports any more either, because it really wasn’t worth the money for how often I watched it, especially with BT Sports getting some games and ESPN beforehand.

I tend to watch matches at the gym or in a pub if a mate is also interested. Will be at a friend’s house on Saturday when the match is on but will have girlfriend in tow so will have to work out a way to have it on his TV!

• Santon03

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM

TDS

I want to see NUFC in CL next season, I had enough with happy being 7th or 8th or top 10.
    Delusional maybe, but still nothing is impossible. It’s not like the top teams are winning all the games comfortably home and away. At this point I don’t really care about board room conspiracy theory, I only care about the team working hard for a win everytime and I appreciate the hard work they showed so far.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM

People are already getting carried away. We have won 3 games in a row, a superb achievement in what is a very competitive league. But to say we have played very well is overstating it. There is still plenty of work required on the training pitch to correct the issues that we see on the field. As long as they keep learning then I am happy with that.

6th/7th/8th/9th/10th will most likely be very close to call, if we end 10th, missing out on 6th by a few points that is still a decent season and a building step for the club/Ashley to build on if they are so inclined.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM

TS

It would be great if we can push for it, and I bet the players have that in their mind too. But Pardew will be keeping them grounded. The key thing is to keep us in the position to get that top 10 place at the end of the season. Then, if we’re still in with a shout with 5 or 6 games to go, I expect we’ll hear comments from Pardew about it too. No point in going public about targeting CL now when we could lose a couple of games and be in the bottom half. Keep their feet on the ground and have them straining at the leash I say!

• Transfer Sage

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM

TDS

they are better than you think, and with decent antivirus nothing gets through.

If they are broadcast on BT sport that’s usually a good time to watch as you can get a HD stream which is good. Even other foreign channels do HD as well which makes most games good.

Better than biased MOTD highlights i find.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM

TDS,
    I don’t have a TV out here, it is all about going to the pub for me! I made it clear to the lady from the off that if NUFC were on tv, I would be going to watch them. Fortunately her previous relationship was with a Juve mad fan who was the same, so she was sort of okay with it! 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM

TDS

I don’t care what they say publicly, there’s that many mind games going on in professional sport got to take most comments with a pinch of salt as people say what they think has the best benefit to them not what is true all the time, that’s fine with me.

Lilo

We haven’t been playing great but what I have seen from the side in the last 3 games is what we lacked early season and last season, the solid team effort from 2 years ago when we came 5th. Players defending as a team but more team attacking as we haven’t got the individuals like Ba, Cisse, HBA in the side now scoring those individual goals.

Be nice to get HBA and cisse back in but nobody deserves to miss out so guess they have to wait, we do need to find a way to use them or if we really can’t must get others in.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Santon

We all want to see that, but if you’ve had enough of finishing 7th or 8th then I don’t know how. Other than Pardew and Roeder, I’m not even sure if we’ve finished top half since SBR have we?

I think we should be happy with a good strong finish and planning for the future.

• Santon03

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM

TDS

Sorry I mean the ambition of finishing 7, 8 or top 10. Why not go for it? If can’t get there in the end, then try again next year. So far we set the bar low because affraid being dissapointed.

• geordiejamie89