This Newcastle Defender Epitomizes The Geordie Spirit

Once Alan Pardew brought back Fab Coloccini last Saturday for the Norwich game, and broke up the blossoming partnership between Mike Williamson and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa at the back, we knew that in the next game, one of those two would not be in the starting line-up against West Brom, and we think on Saturday Mapou could be that unlucky player left out, and he hardly deserves to be dropped.

mike williamson chelsea Oscar 2-0 win

Mike Williamson guarding Oscar during Chelsea win

Mike Williamson continues to be the surprise package this season for Newcastle, and ever since he came back into the first team against Everton in that second half, he’s been an ever present for the Magpies, and has played extremely well.

And Mike has great concentration during games, and we’ve always though he epitomizes the Geordie spirit,  even though Mike was born in Stoke and raised in Devon – far away form the Geordie Nation.

And the 30 year-old has talked to the local press today:

It is tough when you are not playing because as a professional that is all you want to do.” “So it was a matter of biding my time and remaining positive.”

“The manager made it clear on the first day of pre-season there would be competition for places, and anybody who wanted to leave had the opportunity.”

“I always felt if I worked hard then I would be ready when I had my opportunity and I always believed that opportunity would arise.”

“It came in difficult circumstances at Everton, but we have done well collectively ever since.”  “Every time I have the opportunity to play, I pride myself on clean sheets and defending first.”

“It is no-nonsense stuff from me.” “I will always give 100% and do everything I can to stop the opposition and then give the ball to the creative players and let them do their jobs.

“It is a statistic I am very proud of and one I hope the manager is aware of.”

That statistic Mike talks about is that he’s been in the Newcastle defense 23 times of the last 34 clean sheets kept by Newcastle since we got back into the Premier League just over three years go.

We were not aware of that stat – and it comes from Lee Ryder in the Chronicle today.

Now the question is can Mike make that 24 times on Saturday?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Transfer Sage

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM

all the best CB pairing involve a technical/pacey player and and a brute. Willo is out brute. Not the best one around but the lad gives his all and is back to his best.

Last season he was missing simple clearances which was costing us points but he seems to be settled again and doing a good job. Fair play to the lad.

He also looks first to pass it out, still goes long, but thinks about it and plays the ball, even if just to mbiwa/colo next to him. He has worked on things and it shows.

Ideally love a vidic type to upgrade him but he is doing a very good job for us, long may his form continue.

• Ibizatoon

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Personally, I’d keep Colo on the bench, but I just don’t see Pardew doing that, despite his change of heart this season with regards to dropping players.

So if Colo is going to feature, I guess he’s better suited to Willo than M’Biwa.

• bishopblaize

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

HBA will be back in line up soon .. hopefully we just being quiet on him having a strain of some sort.
    Really glad we can play well without him!

Hoping that Williamson can keep up his current form .. He may need to be looked at fpr a call up too 🙂

Big test for them on Saturday to work on a clean sheet … And going forward we should be taking advantage of more goals with the fire power we have!!!

I know other teams are struggling to break the goal difference in style and thats with prolific (once thought) players.

Im still expecting a 3-Niller to the Toon

• Malta Mag

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I don’t think for one minute Williamson is a world beater but there’s players who have made an international career with similar talents? What I do know is that Colocinni is not this God like figure that the management and supporters make him out to be? He was at fault on Saturday and is very prone to anyone who wants to rough him up a little. I also think the main reason for the improvement in defence has more to do with Tiote’s reassurance in front of the central defence rather than any great tactical change?

• Sav

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We’ve seen good improvement from several players this term. Tiote has had a word with himself and grown up a lot. Williamson is keeping it simple. Debuchy is getting his best game together, Mapou has improved a lot and less comsistency but improvements from others as well. Not sure who gets the credit – Fitness Faye, the Coaches or Pards but behind the scenes, they are toiling away and it is showing. This is good to see as is the loaning out of younger players – something we have never done a much as now.

• nufc 11

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Colo should not play again he should be shipped out and his 70k a week wages should be given to Remy.

• 70TWO

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM

WBA will be a harder game than Norwich and Colo is not back to match fitness. Pardew has proven all season that he selects on form, so he must pick the same four defenders as Chelsea/Spurs.
    I just wonder how many more games Sissoko & Remy can carry on for without a break.