The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Newcastle Player Does It Again

10:14 am, Sunday, December 1st, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 226 Comments

Mike Williamson had another strong game for Newcastle yesterday, and is currently leading our poll for the Newcastle’s best player in the tough game against West Brom, and he has 25% of the vote.

mike williamson

Mike Williamson – another strong game for Newcastle

Mike was outstanding in the second half yesterday, as he headed balls clear and the Stoke-born player has become a surprising stalwart in the Newcastle team this season, and is playing the best football of his career  at Newcastle.

But both Yoan Gouffran, scorer of our first goal,  and Moussa Sissoko, scorer of that sensational second goal, are close behind with 23% and 22% of the vote – respectively.

And yes I screwed up a bit – again – and didn’t have Shola down for the first two hours or so of the poll – I put that down to excessive excitement after the game – I mean how many times do Newcastle win four league games in a row?

Anyway – that’s my excuse. :D

So Shola would probably have received more than his current 8%, and the big man had another good game for the Magpies.

Here’s a chance to vote if you haven’t already done so.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against West Brom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Mike Williamson · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Poll · Pre-Season · Yoan Gouffran

226 responses so far ↓

• 1 bills-son // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

JB,Haway man, what is the point of saying sides in 5th have been relegated? That is exactly the type of negative comment that only a fan who is torn between wanting the team to do well and wanting it to do badly to be proven right about Ashley and Pardew. Why else would you write it?

• 2 John Tudor // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

no way have i ever wanted the team to lose but you can imply what you so wish
    hey we all want the toon to win but nowt is set in stone .i reserve the right to expect

• 3 valle // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I just watched clarke’s reaction to the game on sky sports and I have to say that I am disapointed in the people involved in football these days. Gone are the days of gentlemen like Bobby Robson, now its winers and moaners all of them. Apperently it was two even sides in first half with us getting lucky on one of our few chances and Remy going down to easy when totally free on goal, so ofcourse no yellow to Olsson.

• 4 MosesNUFC // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

toonbrother, all i can say is to your utterly ignorant comments is,

ARE YOU A MACKEM IN DISGUISE, ARE YOU A MACKEM IN DISGUISE!

I feel like i should rub it into your face that pardew is a good manager and we are playing very well, you just can’t seem to face that mr negative.

• 5 John Tudor // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

stop starting arguments you cannot win

• 6 toonbrother // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

i think colocinni getting 0% of the vote is worthy of an article

• 7 toonbrother // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

ToonDownSouth // Oct 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM wrote
    How a player like Williamson can get into the PL, without the ability to control, dribble or pass the ball, is pretty symptomatic of the problems in th English game

Vex // Oct 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    We’re getting into the game now.. but Williamson… Ugh.. he makes me cringe D:

Brutooon // Oct 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Williamson – Championship Quality
    Perch – Championship Quality
    Both Perch and Williamson at Centre Back = Championship Quality

:-D

• 8 bills-son // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM

JB,

I’m sure you don’t want us to lose so why even infer that we could get relegated?

We probably need 18 points from 25 games to be safe. That’s 5 wins, 3 draws and 17 defeats.

Question – do you honestly believe there is any chance of that happening?

• 9 Ibizatoon // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Bills…I’m not sure it’s as simple as that really. I doubt there are many fans out there who want us to lose to be proved right. In fact, I think it more likely that they would love to be proved wrong.

No one is saying 4 wins in a row isn’t amazing….it is and long may it continue.

There are a few issues at play, that often get lumped in to one big thing labelled “anti Ashley and Pardew”.

On Ashley, I still maintain that for every arguably good thing he has done for the club, he has done something stupid for the club. I still can’t get a good read on what his plans are for the club and he still hasn’t addressed a better way of communicating with the fans.

I will hold my hands up though, this training facility has given me a few things to think about. It don’t appear the actions of a man looking to sell sometime soon.

On Pardew, I’ve never had a huge problem with him. He’s not the best, nor is he as bad as some make out (imo, of course). I do question how well he copes when things go against us, but all managers have a fault somewhere.

Anyway, I’ll try stop my morning ramble.

Four wins really are great, but we’ve been here before and we’ve been left to feel pretty naive in the past.

I think the blogs quietness is more a result of many people just not knowing where they stand anymore, but that doesn’t mean they’re not happy with results and performances of late.

Anyway, shaping up to be an interesting season. 5th place lads!

• 10 martoon // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

toonbrother – I agree Colo did not have a great game but I was pointing out that he wasn’t solely responsible for their goal and I’m very suspicious of people who refer to themselves in the third person ;) I actually thought MYM was hard done by and should have played instead of Colo.
    Incidentally MOTD editing was weird – they didn’t show the first balatant hand ball and Willo’s diving header clearance at the end.

• 11 bills-son // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Ibiza,

Good point on the training ground.

On blog traffic, I think so many have dug such a hole for themselves with their negative predictions for this season and they can’t bring themselves back on to admit they might of been wrong.

If you go back and read the negativity about our ‘joke laughing stock relegation bound club’ that was on the blog in August and early September it reads like mass hysteria.

• 12 cyprus // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Bills,
    I think you too have been on this blog for a long while – it’s always been about those two ‘schools’ (+ and -) and I think that’s how it is, always! I know some people have left the blog, but they aren’t all necessarily the best. TBH, we’ve had some real scumbags come and go, together with the good.

Bottom line: it’s a results business, when we keep winning you’ll read positive posts. When we lose, you’ll read the negatives. Simple.

• 13 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Anyone noticed the postings drops off on this website when we are doing well. What’s there to be negative about at the minute. If not winning pretty we are grinding out results some say the sign of a good team. Lets enjoy it while it lasts because they will be many who cannot wait for us to loose so they can stick the knife in.

My man of the match Williamson for the last twenty minutes where he was immense and dealt with everything West Brom Threw at us.
    Sissoko was not far behind more like himself big strong and burst forward with those runs when he first came into the team. Debuchy slotted back in as if he had not missed a game. Shola had a excellent second half. Goufran as usual covered every inch of the grass and saved us a couple of times at the back getting in tackles and popped up with his customary goal.

Thought the ref was poor as let a lot off West Brom tackles off the ball incidents go and were rather cynical at times. Should of had at least one penalty in second half hand balls.

Yes Remy was fouled shirt pulled when try to win free kick or penalty instead of going to ground, stayed on feet he was through on goal.

• 14 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

bills- I am clearly not alone then in seeking to share the elation of another toon win with those that recognise what it is to be a football fan. You only need to read back the pre match posts to realise that the personal animus interferes with their judgement.

“Why is it dead? Because the only fans who come out in force on here now are the Ashley, Pardew, Shola, Willo and Tiote haters and they’ve got nowt to moan about.”

Enjoy your day.

Bollance- Your right ever since the demonstration pre Liverpool game we haven’t looked back- LOL

• 15 cyprus // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

e.g.
    HAD we lost, I would have been critical of Pards for not taking off a knackered Shola in the last 10 minutes, after yet another very good display. I do agree with Chris H., it’s a game of fine details, we could’ ve lost some of these last 4 (see Spurs!!), same as that we could’ ve easily won some we lost (e.g. Hull)

• 16 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Quite looking forward to the ManUre-Spurs match today. We will see whether Manure are back to a very good side – I think mid-week Champions League can be deceptive.
    A month ago I would have fancied our chances againts a poor Manure. Today, I still fancy our chances because we’re organised and hard working. I think we’ll give them a game next week – let’s hope van persie is knackered.
    It would just be awesome to stuff Manure at OT. Rooney always has a strop when they are losing – would be good to see how he handles Tiote

• 17 cyprus // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

On tactics: it seems like we do need a long ball target, like Shola (and Andy). It relieves the pressure, and it provides the speedy change of play that we don’t really have on the ground. I like the combination we are striking; we play a lot on the ground but we also get rid of it -read hoof it if you must :) when we need to.

• 18 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Incidentally my MOM was the indomitable Moussa Sissoko who had
    the fans totally united behind the team by his boundless energy, marauding runs and superb goal. This is the player I thought we had signed. SJP was really rocking and his goal coming so soon after the WBA equaliser was crucial.

Also I would mention how good Santon was in the air- Williamson even better particularly not being dragged out of the middle.

Tads- I agree with you on Shola he was the link from midfield and was crucial in the pacey players around him being brought into the play. We’ve got a well balanced/ blended side with everyone appearing to understand fully their responsibilities within the team concept.

• 19 Krul To Be Kind // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

WALKING IN A WILLO WONDERLAND!!!

Personally I’m on a real buzz with our league position to date, we are back in ‘bloody nose’ territory again in the upper echelons of the EPL, sure we will take a spanking at some time this season, but we can’t lose heart when it does come… after all we are NUFC and nothing is ever plain sailing!

A big 5 nil whooping of someone this season will be the icing on the cake for me… we are defo overdue an annihilation of someone.

HWTL’s

• 20 Krul To Be Kind // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Cyprus @17

very well put, we can be diverse in our play now, every team needs options and/or an outball… surprisingly Shola has decided to show us what he has shown the managers over the years in training on the pitch during the twilight of his career. I must admit I have much maligned the big guy over the years but credit where it is due, his new found international stardom has given him a new lease of life and long may it continue… maybe he needs a new rolling 1 year deal so he has to work for the renewal every year and not rest on his laurels.

I would hate to see him go on a free shows just how fickle fans can be!

• 21 cyprus // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Krul,
    100% agree on Shola. I have been a big critic (he still never scores!) but credit to the big guy.

• 22 calvinho // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Willo looks awkward on the ball, he panics with some clearances, but he’s a no-nonsense defender. Look at Mertersacker at Arsenal. Not great on the ball, but wins his headers etc. Look at Skrtel, again an uncomplicated player. I think we will have to upgrade at some point, but at present he’s doing what we struggled with at the start of the season…..defending!

• 23 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Wow – we’re in 5th place and happy fans still have to justify their views on here and correct idiots with their overly critical views. Is this actually a Mackem site in disguise?
    New training ground – but there’s no ambition!
    Over £7M spent on agents in last year – but we haven’t spent ‘the Carroll money’!
    Players playing with similar spirit to 2 years ago – but Pardew is a rubbish manager!
    Top players waiting on the bench – but Willo and Shola are championship level at best! And our squad is too thin!

There aren’t positive and negative posters on here, there are realistic and extreme posters. It won’t be long before some of the more extreme ones reinvent themselves with a different name and appear saying that we should get into the CL. I’ll still be saying 7th or 8th would be good.

• 24 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

This is the 10th post in the last hour the day after we get our 4th win in a row and rise to 5th place…that’s sad!

Can the fans please come back that are actually passionate about the club in a positive way? Those that prioritise the football over agendas against Ashley an Pardew, you are missed!

• 25 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Strange game yesterday – Tiote didn’t have a shot

• 26 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Good to see the passion and desire from our players even after they equalised. Plenty of spirit and belief in the squad at the moment.

Lovely goal to win it of course, but best thing is just seeing how the squad is gelling. And we still have Cisse, HBA and Anita kicking their heels on the bench!

• 27 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Willo has been immense lateley for us although he does have his limitations when the ball is at his feet.

Would anyone else take shawcross from Stoke as the big strong CB ? . Knows the PL well, scores goals and would be a great partner for M’biwa when Collo leaves.

I think a backline of :

–Debuchy—Shawcross—M’biwa—Santon-

Would be great .

On a sad note I see Paul Walker has died :( . Shame, always loved The Fast & The Furious franchise with him and a few of his other films. R.I.P

• 28 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

BPC

No, I wouldn’t. Shame ross hasn’t been linked to top clubs or been in the England squad for a couple of years from what I know. We don’t need quantity now, we need quality. We’ve got he money to spend so I’d rather see a better defender coming in for good money. One like MYM, who is too young to play regularly for a top CL team but has ambitions to do so.

• 29 welshgeordie9 // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

What do you think the score will be on Wednesday night.

• 30 Ciaran // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Apparently I’m sick as a parrot because Newcastle United are doing well? Couldn’t be further from the truth. Absolutely delighted with the win yesterday, especially the manner in which we won. Tiote has improved massively, will be interesting to see if he can perform like that without Cabaye lining up beside him though as those 2 work well together.

Willo and Shola were superb and should keep their places in the side until such time as change is necessary. Colo was not at the races yesterday at all, looked hesitant all game, M’biwa should be (but won’t be) back in the side.

As for wanting the team to do badly to prove a point about Ashley? The team doing well does not mask the fact that he still left us short of options. If Remy get’s injured we lose our most potent threat up front. So the team is doing well but it is not built on massively stable foundations.

As it stands, delighted we’ve followed up our 2 shock wins with 2 home bankers in the bag. Let’s hope we can carry this run on for a little while longer, maybe even with a shock win at OT? Not impossible.

• 31 Small World // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

@25 Charlie in the Gallowgate

Tiote didn’t have a shot as I’ve persuaded the loons around me not to shout “Shoot” every time he approaches the box. Word has now got around :0)

Unfortunately he picked up his first booking in a while for the most innocuous offence. Simply a case of a (poor) ref thinking of the players reputation. I was worried in case he committed similar in the 2nd half and was sent of for effectively nothing at all. We’ve seen some strange red card decisions of late in the Premier League.

• 32 Ted Bundy // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I think this guy would be perfect alongside Mbiwa. Not many are more powerful and aerially dominant than Richards. Whether we could lure him depends a lot on our league finish, I reckon. Sure Pardew would fancy him.

• 33 Yohan Kebab // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

welsh geordie 3-0 to us :D remy gouffran and cabaye

le optimism

• 34 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Tiote got his yellow for repeated challenges I believe. I saw the ref counting on his fingers. No need to be so quick to criticise!

• 35 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

@ tads

There must be someone out there that is a beast in the air but comfortable with the ball at his feet for a decent price .

That is Carrs job though and he has very rareley let us down in reguards to transfers.

Just look at how much Spurs payed for Soldado, Gouffran only cost 500k. One of the bargains of the season IMO.

• 36 Ted Bundy // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM

As for the ongoing tit-for-tat spats on this blog, they’re pathetic and the likes of TDS are just as bad as the other lot. Can’t let sleeping dogs lie and always want the final dig.

• 37 Ted Bundy // Dec 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Called Saldado as the leagues flop of the season when he signed for Spurs, wonder if NUFC will launch a Graham Carr apprentice scheme? ;)

• 38 Small World // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

TDS @34 – I hadn’t noticed Tiote’s previous indiscretions and and hadn’t recalled him giving away free kicks previously. maybe he had.

I normally rate Phil Dowd as a ref, but yesterday he just seemed to be fond of his own whistle. I thought that he numerous chances to wave play on and didn’t and also managed to let some things pass which should have been pulled up.

I didn’t see any TV coverage so couldn’t really comment on what appeared to be shut pull on Remy and a couple of possible hand balls. At the time, the last one looked to be nailed on to me.

• 39 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

BPC

I’m guessing that was directed at me…

The issue is getting someone who is the right price but doesn’t take an age to adjust to the PL. We got lucky with someone like Bassong but that doesn’t happen often.

We’ve done pretty well with transfers, I just hope we can get a couple more good ones in.

• 40 bollance // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Ian

The squad has done best when they have had to prove a point. Our fans indirectly suggested the playing squad was not good enough via protesting because we did not make sufficient signings in the summer.

For us it is not easy to make signings. We only pay under the odds and after coming 5th out of nowhere our policy had been closely observed.

A month ago the squad was lacking but is now in great shape. The only thing that has changed is players are coming into form and we have been winning.

There will be bargains to be had in jan and end of the season to take the squad forward but with a hidden cost – agents fees.

Signing players is not a short term solution as it has taken most of our recruits time to settle so anyone we sign in jan will take realistically until next season to fire on all cylinders. Let’s face it we don’t buy players with prem experience.

• 41 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Small World

Could have been a red card for WBA but Remy did appear to go down a little easily. Touch and go for the penalty call too, definitely hit his arm and it was a bit raised, but we’d be unhappy if we’d have conceded that one.

3 points though. Happy with that.

• 42 daztoon // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Lol didn’t the ref count the fouls on his fingers for a Shola challenge.You must have been distracted with the electronic advertising boards TDS

• 43 magpie6699 // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Small world – I thought Dowd was awful. Remy was clear and anyone who thinks he would deliberately try to get a free-kick (outside the box) rather than go on and have a clear chance on goal doesn’t know Remy!! The handball from Cabaye’s shot was blatant – not powered at the player and his arm was a foot out and moving towards the ball. As for advantages, he got them all wrong! One time he pulled play back about four moves later to gige WBA a free-kick, then 2 minutes later (literally) he let play go on after a foul on Sissoko led to nothing VERY quickly! Pathetic!
    Incidentally, yes it was a hard game but I thoughtWBA huffed and puffed a lot to little effect at times which must mean credit to our midfield and defence. Some interesting stats – Toon 7 efforts on target – 2 goals, WBA 1 effort on target, 1 goal. Shots saved by Krul? – can’t think of any.

• 44 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Come on…please don’t be seriously suggesting that the protest marchers deserve credit for motivating our players to putting in these performances! That’s stretching reality just a bit!

• 45 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I was looking at the advertising boards as it happens! I’ve never bothered before, really don’t care when I’m watching football.

So yeah, saw SD on them a lot and on the back of the chairs on the bench. Definitely a good question for the next fans forum.

• 46 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM

The Reff yesterday was awful for three reasons :

.Olsson clearly pulled Remy’s shirt (clear as day from one camera angle) and should have walked as he was last man. Yes Remy wen down easily but who doesn’t these days ? .

Even worse than that no decision was made FFS. If the Ref thought there was no contact then sureley he should have booked Remy for diving ? , he did neither.

. Brunt should have been sent off as well as he was booked for decent then made a poor challenge just after on Cabaye I think.

. Billy Jones clearly blocks a goal bound shot with his hands and we should have had a penalty.

All in all the ref was garbage unless you are a Baggies fan .

• 47 Ciaran // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Next Forum will be a whitewash given how NUST are banned and 2 other prominent individuals resigned their seats. Tame questions that the club won’t mind answering.

• 48 Small World // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM

magpie6699 @43 – Good point about containing WBA, who although looking lively and never looking likely to park the bus – didn’t manage to create much.

Last week against Norwich we saw a couple of instances of us defending similar to 2 seasons back when Willo / Collo / Simpson were throwing their bodies in the path of everything.

This week very composed and controlled. Long may it last.

• 49 Marty-Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Just delightful to have 4 weeks in a row with the nice feeling of having won another game :-)
    Well done to the team and Pards
    Thought Shola and Cabaye looked exhausted the final 10 mins and should’ve been changed but even when Cabs was exhausted he made a couple of good runs with the ball and a great tackle.
    Surely should’ve had the second peno decision but I think Remy could’ve stayed on his feet and finished the early chance.
    Shola is linking our midfield play wonderfully well,he’s dropping deep to collect and letting the quick lads run off him to mix it up well.
    We’ve loads of quality on the bench so the lads are in top form to keep the others out,long may it continue :-)
    Surely Ben Arfa sees what Sissoko and Gouffran are doing and sees what he needs to do to get his place in the team.
    Pards will have to change it for Swansea,I’d say Tiote or Cabaye will drop for Anita and Cisse will be on in Sholas place.
    Ben Arfa maybe in for Remy
    Will be interesting

• 50 lesh // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Great to hear of the new training complex and there’s no doubt that without the vision and drive of Joe Kinnear, Ashley’d never have signed such spend off.

Couid this development be a product of our Wonga sponsorship? Mmmm, ‘The Wonga Complex’ [WC] sounds good, impressive, a structure that reflects Kinnear’s vision.

Commenting on the announcement, Joe Kinnear said ‘Top Directors of Football, players and top teams need top quality office,btraining and medical facilities. Our current training ground has served the Club very well but the new complex will give us all of the ingredients that we need to continue maintaining and enhancing the performance of elite.

He went on saying ‘Naturally, the new complex will include a.luxurious and spacious office suite for me and my support staff, including a private and opulent executive rest area which will include a bar, a steam room and a massage area that will give me time to liaise with my Senior PA and other staff and help agents, consider transfers etc in a relaxed and informal atmosphere. That is the sort of facility that can make or break a deal’ he added.

There’s no doubt about it, but results are much better than last season, the players are fitted and now we can only go forward and upward…….

Thanks to Joe Kinnear, a great among the greatest!

• 51 bills-son // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM

What really chuffs me is the obvious spirit among the players. When Sissoko scored and ran to the bench the subs were all clapping and HBA had a smile as wide as the Tyne. Cisse and HBA were also having a good laugh about the last second subbing and when the whistle blew the backslapping reaction between the players was great to see.

There seems to be a real genuine togetherness, team spirit and work ethic in this squad and you have to give Pardew credit for that. All of the body language I see during a game between Pardew and the players tells me they have alot of respect for him.

A big plus for me yesterday was the form of Sissoko. Got to say we’ve carried him in a good few games but if he is running into form that will add a big edge to our attacking threat.

• 52 Brutooon // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM

WIlliamson and Mapou – two clean sheet against chelsea and spurs

Williamson and Collocini – concede one goal against lower team

• 53 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Bill-son
    Totally agree with the togetherness.
    Don’t know if you have seen the Sunday Mirror image of Debuchy running alongside Sissoko after he scored – brilliant.
    PS – has anyone mentioned we’ve scored from another CORNER!!!

• 54 OhSholaAmeobi // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM

feet on the ground. just support the lads and hope for another win at swansea.

• 55 NUFCarter // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Does Gouffrans goal count as a goal from a corner?

• 56 MacToon // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Another great result, 3 more points and just as important to me, some decent football to watch. Long may it last.
    Who’d have thought at the start of the season that for us to go on a winning run we’d have to bench HBA and Cisse! Pardew’s stumbled across a winning formula again or was it always his plan? Seriously though, it’s good to see he’s improving by being willing to drop out of form players, still a worry how quick he was to reinstate Colo though, we won so not the worst decision he’s ever made.

• 57 bills-son // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Draw between Spurs and ManU just what we wanted :-)

• 58 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Good result for us that .

• 59 magpie6699 // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Anyone know how many yellows Tiote is on after picking one up yesterday?

• 60 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

@ magpie

Not sure but I think Cabaye & Sissoko are one booking away from a suspension .

Might be worth dropping one of them with a trip to Old Trafford next weekend .

• 61 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Dropping one of them against Swansea rather.

• 62 bills-son // Dec 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Magpie,

I think Tiote is on two yellows.

• 63 bollance // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Tiote picked up his 3rd booking yesterday. We have a few on 4 like cabaye and sissoko

• 64 magpie6699 // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Cheers

• 65 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

If the mackem defeat was the price to pay for 4 consecutive wins (May be more to come) then I will take it.

• 66 Mister Tuff // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I think Percy will mix it up a bit on Wednesday – giving a couple of players a rest. Maybe a start for Benny. The team generally are playing with massive energy levels -with some players being exhausted at the final whistle. Maybe Anita will start as well.
    Swans are stuttering a bit -so a good time to play them -Bony’s out -but Michu may be back. If we continue to play as we have – could get three points.
    The Spurs v Manu draw was a good result for us -lost point for both teams. In the long term Chelsea beating Soton should also be a good result for us. Cannot see Hull and Swans getting anything today.

• 67 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Reading the pre match posts on here:

Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda
    All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
    Layin’ in the sun,
    Talkin’ ’bout the things
    They woulda coulda shoulda done…
    But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
    All ran away and hid
    From one little Did.

• 68 kt97toonarmy // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Im happy for newcastle at the moment. We seem to b playing good football. But next 3 games are really tough. Swansea away man u away then southampton at home.

And as for williamson. Hes playing better than any other english centre back. So wheres his call up. He surely deserves 1. I thought dropping mbiwa was wrong. Long i thought made colo look awful from the start nd tottenham n man utd drew today means we stay above them both. It feels good to look at the table nd c us 5th again. Nice feeling

• 69 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Bills. Good point on team spirit http://www.mirror.co.uk/…/football/…/bonus-promise-10th-place-finish-...

• 70 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Kt97

Players shouldn’t get called up for their international teams based on a short run of good form. Players would be in and out constantly if that were the case!

• 71 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM

bollance- The bedding in period is why the best time to buy is in the close season. Mind you we’ve had a few bargains shopping in the January sales.

• 72 Jail for Ashley // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I think the people saying the blog is quiet after a win know that’s not true, it has been dead for a while now, and as for the ambition subject, building a state of the art training centre is showing it, why can’t the fat fusker stick a statement in the program notes himself to tell us about it, all very well bringing in the next Shearer in five years time but are we going to get an upgrade on Shola in January.

Ian Toon,
    Wff you on about.

• 73 kt97toonarmy // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

But thats england in a nutshell TDS. there thinking about ravel morrison. Cas of his recent form. Rickie lambert. I could go on

• 74 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM

JfA

I think we just need to accept that Ashley isn’t an attention seeker. He didn’t come out looking for glory when we got promoted or when we finished 5th. He’s our owner, but JFK, Pardew and some of the other staff are the ones who speak for the club.

• 75 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM

The Russian judge gives Robbi Brady a 6.1 for an average dive

• 76 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Lambert in because of consistent performances and because he is the best big strong English striker these days. Morrison has been in the under 21s for a while and is potentially part of the long term future for England.

There are many centre backs ahead of Willo. No need to jump the gun.

• 77 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

ToonDarnSarf

Ashley could put a lot of unrest to bed with one simple, open and honest interview. I get the fact that he’s a private man, but one candid interview could possibly change a hell of a lot of the opinions fans have formed on him.

• 78 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM

JB

I know. But I don’t think he’ll do it. I think we should just accept that because I don’t think it will change and the negativity is not good for our club.

Besides, if he did one interview, don’t you think there would still be fans that demand that if he did it once then he could do it again?

• 79 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

ToonDarnSarf

After the amount of mistakes he has made as our owner you can argue that it’s a must, that he should have done an interview a long time ago.

All we want is an honest view on what he see’s for the club over the coming years, we are not asking him to go into I’m a Celebrity or anything like that.

One interview to set out our goals and future intentions and to put all that he’s got wrong in past to bed. A little bit of humility could change so much

• 80 JAMSHA // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

did any1 see the paul walkers pic in hospital??? his face is ripd off

• 81 Jail for Ashley // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

TDsarf,
    You really are a tw@t, all you bang on about is that Mike Ashleys biggest failing is his lack of communication with the fans, and the moment I suggest that you jump to his defence.

• 82 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Jack

The main reason the blog is dead, in my opinion, is down to all the bloody ads. I can’t use it on my phone without being redirected to other sites or the App Store. It’s a nightmare.

I missed yesterday’s game but caught radio and highlights this morning, seemed like we played alright and once again are showing the resilience of the season 2 years ago. That’s what you need as you can’t play perfect every game.

• 83 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Personally I don’t care if Ashley does an interview or not. Words mean nothing, it’s actions. Plenty of people at the club can release statements explaining why certain actions have been taken, etc.

For me Ashley could speak every week or never and it wouldn’t matter, I’d rather he got on and did positive things than just talk about it. Like this training facility, seems a cracking idea to upgrade things.

• 84 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Transfer Sage

Same mate, only caught highlights of the game as i was working.

It’s great to see fight in the side again as thats the only thing that I will ever demand from them. But bringing Colo back into the side at the expense of Mapou is worrying as the lad has earned the right to keep his place while Colo has one foot out of the door and hasn’t looked anywhere near the player he once was for a very long time imo.

If you are using Google then download Ad-Block from their app store as thats what I use on my phone and tablet and it stops all the annoying pop-up’s

• 85 Rotonda heights // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Spuggy

As you said you haven’t been on for ages so I would urge you to try and keep up. 6 games ago a lot of people had every right to be totally fed up with the seemingly aimless direction we were heading in.

6 games on and I have been very fulsome in my recognition and praise of Pardew’s apparently successful changing and evolution of style. To do otherwise would be churlish and ignorant.

However, I never ever bought in to the squad is too thin BS. Yesterday we had HBA, VA, MYM and PC on the bench with SM, ST and JG not even in the squad!

I also don’t think anyone really dislikes Colo but like me think that MYM was growing into a a superb partnership with Williamson.

Also I do think we should go for CL. That’s the one thing that could keep the likes of Cabaye and Remy. Finishing 8th doesn’t really cut it or give you much to look forward to.

• 86 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Jack

For me that doesn’t even need to come directly from Ashley, his words could be read by any higher up person at the club. Or just realised on the website.

• 87 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Perfect illustration as to why many just can’t be bothered!

New training ground – but there’s no ambition!

• 88 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM

JB

Yes, but he won’t. Can you find any public interviews by him regarding Sports Direct either?

We can’t always have things the way we’d like.

• 89 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM

ToonDarn Sarf- your post earlier- spot on.

• 90 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I feel a bromance coming on :D

• 91 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Jack

Does it work with iPhones? Hate the things, so limited compared to other brands.

And yeh I’d prefer mapou too but colo is fine, I get him wanting to leave means we should be looking to the future but at the same time we should use him while we have him (if pardew thinks he’s the best option). With colo’s recent injuries in sure mbiwa will get enough games to have an understanding built with willo if/ when colo finally goes.

• 92 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Transfer — it falls within the domain of the DOF anyway.

• 93 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Transfer Sage

As long as you are using google it should work fine

• 94 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I think the training facility – if it happens – could be best thing that has happened to the club for years. Imagine bringing prospective players to view the facilities and being able to show them state of the art stuff. It has to help with that as well as the obvious benefits to exisiting players at the club and young’uns coming through.
    I think Ashley brings us a mix of good and bad…but I can also think of far worse. Can you imagine the uproar if he wanted the rename the team to the Newcastle Jets or promoted the tea boy to head of player recruitment or put the club in massive debt on the hope of a bright future.?
    Come on Hull, score a second…

• 95 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

JFA

Don’t overly sensitive! I said the biggest issue is that Ashley doesn’t understand the fans and that communication from the club to the fans has suffered. I don’t care if Ashley communicates to the fans directly, nor do I think he will.

I want to see more statements from the club about our plans and goals but I don’t care whether the name at the bottom is Ashley, JFK, Pardew, NUFC or whatever. I don’t expect they will be personal to Ashley regardless.

• 96 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Ian

I thought we’d come 10th at start of the year but after seeing how we are playing, as well as more fringe/newish players stepping up I think 8th is a fair spot to aim for.

But the key is to make sure we continue to play every game like a cup final and get as many points as we can, then just see where we end up. Seeing spurs and man utd I think we have a chance of being ahead of then (not saying we will or should, just that we could be).

I don’t really worry about league positions that much though, just like to see a good game of football on a weekend, which we are seeing now, and hopefully have a cup run or an adventure in Europe.

• 97 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Ian Toon

Thanks. I thought you were taking credit for my post for a minute!

• 98 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

If Kinnear spoke about the future or ambition of the club on behalf of Ashley it would be written off in an instant as the guy claims to have been the architect for the pyramids, the gunman on the grassy knoll and the man that shorted out the Cuban Missile crisis.

• 99 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Ian

What’s up to the DoF, lost me there.

TDS

Agree, as long as something comes from the club, I don’t care who says it as long as they can be seen to try to follow that plan/target.

Potts

100% right there. I think Ashley’s problems all stem from not doing what us as fans want, as in sticking with tradition and making rash decisions. Stadium name, sacking houghton when going ok, hiring JFK again, etc.

Cardiff changed the colour of their kit, hulls owner today said fans can do and die if they don’t like the idea to chane their name, Wimbledon moved to a different city. Ashley is a bit rash at times but never that bad.

• 100 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Jack

You mean kinnear didn’t do all that? I’d like just something on the club website, A few pages long, describing our ambition and roughly how they plan to achieve it. Nothing too detailed as I appreciate some stuff needs to be quiet like where/who we scout etc. But just enough for us to know if the club is hitting goals or over/under achieving what the club expect, not what we as fans do.

• 101 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Any statement from the club will need to be reviewed and approved by several people. Anyone writing it off just because JFK’s name is at the bottom is just plain ignorant.

• 102 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hull actually look pretty competent and should be in no danger of relegation, particularly considering the sh*t that Fulham have played recently, the state of CP and the unwashed.

Not sure who my second PL team should be and undecided between Norwich (Chris H) and Hull (Steve H) as neither are a threat to us and generally I’d be happy to see them win.

• 103 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

TDS

To be fair JFK is a bit of a wild cannon when a camera gets in front of him, seems to turn off his brain.

But an official written statement would be reviewed (I’d have hope anyway).

• 104 Patoon // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Havn’t posted since the end of the transfer window and was pissed rite off with the way the club made no permanent signings, also wanted Pardew sacked early in the summer but then felt sorry 4 him thinkin they wer trying 2 force him out, now i want to hold my hands up and say i got it wrong, Pardew has the team playing with confidence and atm we are flying, long may it continue, Gouffran has been outstanding for us recently as has alot of our players and it also great 2 c Tiote hitting form again, so CONGRATULATIONS ALAN PARDEW, and keep up the good work

• 105 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM

TS

I wonder if he’s learned his lesson…but probably not.

But yeah, I expect a statement to be written and approved by several people anyway.

But I also don’t think we should be overly obvious about what we are planning to do. If other clubs see that we’ve announced we’ll make signings to push for the CL, then they can negotiate harder knowing that we will have to make signings.

• 106 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Hull 2-1 up – results going for us

• 107 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I still don’t see us competing with the likes of Liverpool, Spurs or City at the end of the season, but you never know…I didn’t see us finishing above Liverpool and Chelsea 2 years ago either!

I’d rather see clubs like Everton, Saints and Swansea lose to consolidate our position in the top 8.

• 108 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

TDS

I don’t think clubs are that naive to not know that with or without a public statement. You’ll have agents talking to each other, players, managers, directors, etc etc. But like I say we don’t need massive detail, just how they see us progressing and rough time scales. How they will improve he academy, all that sort of stuff.

The thing what made me laugh most this summer was the media praising Daniel levy for getting players in before bale was sold, claiming that if the bale money was in first clubs would charge silly money. Firstly every man and his dog new spurs were getting around 80mil for bale since the end of the season, and secondly they did pay silly money for half the players they signed.

• 109 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Hull are deservedly beating Liverpool 2-1. If this finishes like this then our loss to them won’t seem quite so bad.
    Sagbo seems to be the sort of player who can hold the ball up and bring others into play like SHola has been for us.

• 110 jasper // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Jail,
    Have you had any luck with seeing the match?
    The VON service I use is http://www.my-expat-network.com
    The full game is now on nufcblog.org

• 111 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

TDS

If you look at how the spurs and Liverpool players are doing and their quality there are only one or two players who are significantly above the level of our boys, granted they should make the difference but injury to one of them or loss of form could make a huge difference, likewise with us also.

I am excited by the league this year. 2 years ago it was us around top 4 for a while, then it was west brom or a bit last year. This year there is us, Everton and Southampton which hopefully means if not us, one of those might still be near top 4 at the end just to make things different and a nice change.

• 112 jasper // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Read VPN

• 113 Mister Tuff // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Ian Toon – apart from enlightening use to American poetry -could you please explain the relevance of Silverstein’s poem (in respect of the blog).

• 114 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Mister Tuff

I think Ian’s rambling poetry are simply side effects of the Chlorpromazine he’s taking

• 115 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM

3-1 Hull :D

• 116 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM

For us, the best result from Hull and Liverpool is a draw. We don’t need the teams from 9th place and under to gain points. A draw is fine. We are not competing with Liverpool at the moment. We don’t need Hull coming closer to us. The same goes for Swansea. Only a point for Swansea and Hull today is a good thing for us. So I am waiting for a goal from Liverpool in the last few minutes.

• 117 Graeme // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Wow, thats now Hull 3-1 up on luckyfool. They are playing like hero’s lol

• 118 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Oleg G

Hull will still be fighting to stay in the league this year, so if they hammer Liverpool it would be a good result for us imo

• 119 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

3-1 Hull and apparently Sturridge is out for 6-8 weeks. They reckon Liverpool will be looking for a £20m striker in January if they want to in the CL mix at the end of season.
    O what joy. Just need Suarez to get himself sent off and my weekend will be complete….

• 120 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM

TS

From Liverpool, I’d definitely take Skrtel, Agger, Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge. They have a stronger squad overall. Spurs and Liverpool would need to underperform and we would need to overperform but it is possible. Just as possible that we get loads of injuries, underperform and finish in 16th. Hopefully lightning won’t strike twice!

• 121 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Wow. Hull winning just shows anyone can beat anyone in this amazing league!

• 122 Tsunki // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Jamsha are you talking about the fast n furious guy who died yesterday? Are you really one of those ghouls who trawl dodgy sites for sic pics? Wow.

Anyway – The blog has been quiet because most of the constructive posters have been tired of trying to thread viewpoint posts between the gainsaying of a group of opposed ‘contributors’. he so-called ‘neggers’, ‘Ash-bashers’ and ‘Pardew haters’ only actually exist in the minds of those trying to assert themselves over others by using these terms to denigrate them. In other words, the blog has been exhausted by the overly-opinionated who by definition cannot agree to disagree and move onto another sunject.

The blog is about NUFC so all relevant and valid opinions should be welcomed, even if they are the polar opposite of your own. Trouble is, there is less reasoned argument and conceding of well-put points these days, more digging in and camp-making.

• 123 MacToon // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Chlorpromazine :lol: cheers for that.
    Also, poor Liverpool …….. ha ha ha

• 124 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM

TS @111
    I completely agree with you. Take Suarez and Gerrard out of Liverpool and you have a team with some real weak spots. Johnson never could defend and they have some youngster in at CB who is learning his trade

• 125 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Ok. hhh… I guess no draw for Hull then.

• 126 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM

My God, Liverpool are so bad they are simply shocking.

Suarez is being his usual, disgusting self. He may be a great player but I’m glad we don’t have that type of personality anywhere near our club

• 127 Ancientcoptic // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM

1 point behind Liverpool in the table, who were considered title challengers 2 hours ago. I am enjoying this.

Hopefully Swansea get a draw against Man City, they will have to run themselves ragged to get a point, which would set us up nicely to play them.

• 128 Tsunki // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Predictability and the PL are not friends this year. Nice to see the skip rummagers get done.

• 129 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM

There it is, another glaring bollock dropped

• 130 bills-son // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Today’s results aren’t bad for us but they are even better for Arsenal.

• 131 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM

TDS

I agree I’d have those too but other than Suarez are they loads better than what we have? Can argue they are slightly better but not massively.

I think they’d take cabaye, Ben arfa, remy, maybe tiote.

It’s not like we are miles behind, that’s why I think we can compete over a season. We are very close after a third of the season.

• 132 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM

JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

You mean that in your opinion they won’t be a threat for us anyway, so we shouldn’t care if they win, and actually it is better for us if Liverpool will lose points because we will be fighting with them for spots?

I hope you are right. I am just afraid of some injuries, and then we are (from past experience) in trouble.

• 133 bills-son // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM

JB,

Cracking post at 98 :-)

• 134 Tsunki // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Swans have it all to do now, meeting us wednesday must be the last thing they need. Come on Pards, rest up Shola and socks and put hba and anita in for that one. They wont have the legs to keep up with those two in mid.

• 135 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM

What I liked about Hull’s 3rd goal was that it came off a Liverpool player’s face and went in. You need more skill and accuracy to do that than hit a 35 yd screamer…

• 136 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM

bills-son – I’m hoping Arsenal win the league this year, they play the best football, the most consistent football in the league and seeings as the others have thrown around hundreds of millions in the pursuit of the title, it would be amazing for the PL for them to win it

• 137 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Arsenal so far are the biggest winner from today’s result. Also it is good for us.

I am hoping for a lose of Southampton. We cannot compete with Chelsea’s depth but we can compete with S’ton for places.

• 138 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

TS

I don’t think any of those players of ours would start for Liverpool though. Cabaye over Gerrard/Coutinho? Remy over Suarez/Sturridge? Tiote over Lucas? Ben Arfa would have the same issue but is better than Sterling and Moses.

• 139 Tsunki // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

JB @ 136 – exactly. Schadenfreude works for me, especially if we somehow made it above the big spenders as well :)

• 140 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Oleg
    Yes, of course, you are 100% right about Chelsea and us. But isn’t it also quite nice to see Mourinho all upset and like a 120 yr old when they lose?

• 141 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM

..I mean 10 yr old !

• 142 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

TDS

well henderson starts every week so think cabaye would get in, think cabaye is better than coutinho.

i think remy is equal, if not better than sturridge.

• 143 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Tsunki // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Exactly!

4 games in 12 days for Swansea. They should be cooked perfectly for us :) . If we don’t win that one, it will be a real shame.

• 144 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

tsunki

i’d not change a think, our system works well with the players currently starting, i think we fade when we start making subs as the system changes slightly without shola.

• 145 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Tsunki – I love that, Schadenfreude is part of my DNA as I was born with a twisted sense of humour :D

• 146 bills-son // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM

JB,

I agree on Arsenal not just because of the football but for Wenger.

He’s taken a stack of flak from Arsenal fans for not spending, sticking with Ramsey and not being ambitious enough to keep the likes of Van Persie, Fabtegas and Nasri.

How sweet for him if he wins the Prem when many Arsenal fans were calling for his head after they lost their first game.

• 147 Graeme // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Damn, this just gets better Chelski 0-1 in 20 seconds lol

• 148 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Bloody ell
    1-0 to Southy 13 secs

• 149 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM

pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Of course :) hhh…. we just have to be realistic and see who we need to lose points so it will affect us in a positive way and will matter to our position in the league.

I think that we will be seeing Man C and Chelsea running after Arsenal for the next few months, so those 3 are not important for us (unless we are planning to be in super form and compete with them for the top 3? :) )
    So Everton, S’ton, Liverpool, Spurs and Man U are the teams we need to look for to lose points. From those, I think that Liverpool are stronger than the others. But from what we’ve seen so far this season, any of them can lose points and don’t have “easy” games.
    This is actually a very interesting season to watch as a Newcastle fan, and as a football fan in general.

• 150 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM

bills-son

the level of consistencey Wenger has been able to atain when you look at the amount he has spent shows him to be one the best managers the games has seen in my opinion.

I love José Mourinho but seriously doubt he could do what Wenger has done.

Southampton 1-0 after 15 seconds :D

• 151 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM

HHh…. S’ton scored. What you going to do :)

I love this league.

• 152 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM

i posted this a few days ago after meeting my pal from the club, some news but was dead at the time.

Well it’s been a while since I have offered any gossip on here but finally caught up with my old pal so have a few tidbits for you all.

disclaimer – none of this is guaranteed but just to the best of my knowledge.

The club do not expect to keep hold of remy, they will try in January but if they cannot get him to sign then they may move for Jeremy Menez, (checked and out of contract in the summer so that could be a possibility).

There was also talk we might move for younes kaboul from spurs to replace an outgoing colo.

The third player was gomis, another guy we were linked with in the summer so hardly a shock to be linked again.

The final one was less believable, Blaise Matuidi, I don’t know much about him myself, but playing regularly for PSG I cant see it, unless some agreement was reached with cabaye?

But I heard there will be no outgoings this January at all, Colo is the only one they would consider but no offer from Argentina anywhere to be seen.

• 153 Tsunki // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM

TS – I’m with you one that, I thought Mbiwa should have played, BUT considering the task Swansea face today, they will be ragged to say the least and with a few issues of their own, will not be able to handle pace in midfield to well on weds methinks. This is why we have the chance to rest Socks and shola for next weekend and put a pacy/busy mid like anita and a 2-man marker like HBA to really stretch them. Without their midfield bossing, swansea are effectively neutral. I think we would have the chance of genuinely murdering them, give those players a confidence boost, and giving Pardew even more selection problems.

• 154 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM

This league may not be the best from a technical point of view, but from a plain fans viewing perspective it is simply amazing :D

• 155 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Southampton fans singing “You’re not special anymore” :D

• 156 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM

tsunki

i’d still keep the same side, get a good start ideally then rest players, maybe shola gets 45 mins.

I’m not against them using ben arfa, cisse, anita, etc as we do need to make sure we have an alternative if one of this current 11 gets injured.

Also swansea are missing michu and bony which is a big help for us.

• 157 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Transfer Sage

It’s rumoured that Michu is not happy at Swansea at the moment as he’s not being played in his favoured position

• 158 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM

jack

is that true? makes sense i suppose, he knows he is better than swansea, so will probably want a move elsewhere regardless of where he will be played i imagine.

• 159 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Jol sacked at Fulham

• 160 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Martin Kol sacked

• 161 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM

saw that coming for a while, been widely discussed on tv/radio. Jol isn’t a great manager, average really.

But got to think they have hardly signed good players, they have a fairly week team really. Should be doing a bit better but not much.

• 162 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Transfer Sage

A mate of mine works at the club and has said that Michu’s annoyed that a move to a big European club was turned down in the summer. That coupled to the fact that he’s not been played in the position that made him one of best players in the league last year have resulted in an unhappy player

• 163 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM

meant Jol sacked – shitty 1-0 up

• 164 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM

charlie

poor Martin Kol would have been terrified for a moment there haha.

• 165 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Breaking news on Sky News, Martin Kol’s wife has left him as he has been sacked :D

• 166 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM

would anyone like to see us try for valbuena from marseille?

heard a few commentators on various champs league games say they are a bit of a selling club this past couple year so maybe available at a good price.

It’s what we lack I think, a centre mid who can not only pass the ball like cabaye, but skip past one or two as well.

• 167 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

They’ve finally put old Jol out if misery then!

C’mon chelski could do with Southampton losing a bit if momentum in the league right about now

• 168 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Sage

At this point in time it’s a striker (or two) and centre half we need, seriously doubt we will be able to tie Remy down long term and I think the Cabaye saga is far from over and expect him to be linked with Roma and Arsenal again next month so we need to replace him if he does leave, but until that happens it’s strikers all the way :D

• 169 Tsunki // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

TS @156 – ha ha mate I can almost see you talking your way to disagreeing with yourself! I am all for sticking with a winning formula but remember this is Pardew who complain about cup runs and europa. He has Shola who does not have 90 mins in him and Sissoko who ran his back off yesterday. By Pards system (?) I would expect him to use the space to field a couple of players who need playing time. I would also consider Cisse and give Remy a bench. I think Remy is only just coming up to pace funnily enough, he has looked a yard short up until this last game. But he still scores goals…..

• 170 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Did anyone see that Luke Shaw is being linked with £30 million move???

A very good player but £30 million

• 171 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

tsunki

I think we have a good bench and like i say, not annoyed is any of mbiwa, anita, hba or cisse come in…i’d personally not use them while we have momentum with this team, but if pardew does to keep them fresh them its ok with me, i wouldn’t complain.

I just think we have more chance to beat swansea than man utd, so if they are ok to pay midweek i’d play them, then worry about the man utd game when it comes.

Jack

Yeh totally agree, just knowing how we do business, but a bargain not always what we really need, then maybe valbuena is worth a shout.

What do you think of my rumours i posted?

• 172 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Sage

Menez would be a very good addition, not sold on Kaboul to be honest and can’t see Blaise Matuidi happening, though hell of a player.

Jeremain Lens would be one to look at as well.

• 173 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Also did anyone see the stat put up yesterday?

That only one team in any league has had more goals from french players than us, think it was lyon.

• 174 Tsunki // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Hmm we will see I suppose. Swansea couldnt come at a more opportune time, and Pardew sees Man U as being very beatable. It would give the team a real boost if we turned them over.

On the down side, if Cabs somehow goes to Arsenal for CL in Jan the team will change anway. I doubt it will be Jan though, but its a heads-up type possibility. Who would replace him? Anita or a buy-in?

• 175 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Who’s Luke Shaw? By the looks of things, we need to watch out for Rooney, Kagawa and Valencia. The rest of their team is poor. Cleverley, Welbeck, Young, Smalling and Evans are useless.

Terrible news about Paul Walker. Love the movie Roadkill.

• 176 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Work call’s, have a good evening lads.

• 177 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

jack

yeh menez would be….only think going for matuidi is that he out of contract this summer i believe, so maybe thats why an enquirey was made.

• 178 JackButler // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Ket’s

Really???

Who is Luke Shaw???

• 179 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM

kets

shaw is southamptons young left back, cracking youngster.

I agree with you about welbeck, cleverly and co…..they just aren’t that good. All fairly talented players but aren’t proper kids anymore, and they all are below the level of what they should be. They may develop late but not all of them will, i think a lot of them will fade off to mid table clubs over the next 3 years or so.

• 180 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM

TS

Henderson has mostly been playing as a winger I think. Cabaye can play the Coutinho or Lucas role but I think Gerrard is the like for like comparison.

Remy and Sturridge are similar quality agreed. But I still think they have a superior squad overall. Hope our players manage to prove me wrong!

• 181 Ancientcoptic // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Chelsea losing isn’t good news for us. We are more likely to be challenging the Saints for league position than Chelsea.

• 182 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Funny thing with Swansea they are very good at retaining possession, but there is no threat or end product when missing both Michu and Bony :-(

…hope they will come back and beat Citeh.

Hull really showed the bindippers who was in charge :-) They game going our way more or less today I think?

• 183 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

TDS

I guess but henderson is naturally a central player, sure cabaye could do just as well, or even better than him in that role. Do agree that he plays a similar role to gerard though, but i think they’d squeeze cabaye into that side.

I don’t think you will be proven wrong, liverpools team and squad is stronger. My point was more that it wont take a huge amount of bad luck for them and a huge amount of good luck for us to get us past them. They are better but not massively so.

• 184 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Yeah, I’ve never heard of him. Seems like he plays for Southampton then. They’re having a good season but I expect us to finish above them.

I wonder if we’re in the top 4 going into the january window, whether Mike Ashley would splash a bit of cash to try and secure that champions league spot. I reckon we can beat Swansea and Man Utd in our next 2 games. I’d drop Shola, put Ben Arfa on the left on Gouffran up front. I’d also drop Tiote for Anita.

Mike Williamson seems to be error free at the moment. I’ve noticed he’s just taking one touch and then hoofing it up field or out to touch. Last season, he’d take a few touches and then lose the ball or concede a foul.

• 185 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

kets

Agree willo is not making the errors that hampered his season last year, but i think he is doing more than hoof it. Sure he does it at times but thats why shola is there, and other time he is just keeping it simple and giving it to colo/mbiwa, tiote or debuchy. He is learning a bit.

I agree we can win the next two games, not easy but no reason we can’t. beating chelsea and spurs was harder and we did that.

• 186 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM

On transfers……

I have no idea. I think we seem to only buy in bulk if fear of relegation, as it’s only happened once. Other than that we only seem to buy if there is a good deal to be had.

Maybe the club will look to do more business in january than the summer due to expiring contracts meaning we got bargains last year and they want to try it again. I doubt we’ll know until we see how it pans out.

There will also be a few players who are out of favour and want moves to get a chance of a world cup place, so maybe some good loan signings available as well.

• 187 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I’d take Sturridge, Suarez, Gerrard, Coutinho and Agger from Liverpool, so that means we have even teams. Don’t rate Henderson, Johnson and Joe Allen. They’re a lot stronger than last season. Brendan Rogers is doing a fantastic job. Dalgleish was ruining them.

• 188 Transfer Sage // Dec 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

kets

so whats your mixed newcastle and liverpool team?

krul
    debuchy, agger, colo, santon
    gerardm coutinho, cabaye
    sturridge, suarez, remy?

• 189 lesh // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM

TDS, Sage…… Any statement issued by the club and in the name of Joe Kinnear will more than likely have been drafted and reviewed long before its publication.

Kinnear’s use of English is at times little flawed and lacks fluidity and I don’t think the club’s PR people would key him loose on a statement, hence they’re in-name only.

• 190 Mister Tuff // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I think Arsenal are a bit of a surprise package this season. I had initially thought that the champions would be between Chelsea and City. I think Man U will slowly progress – as he tinkers with team selection and then realises Fellani is probably not that good. I think Southampton will fade, despite them playing some decent stuff.
    Then -there will be the chasing pack -including the Toon. some have said we cannot compete against -some of the others -including Liverpool and Spurs. Why not – we seem to be doing OK now with a third of the season gone – granted there is still long way to go..I therefore think that apart from Arsenal/Chelsea/City -we should be wanting the others to be beaten – therefore possibly enhancing our finishing position.

• 191 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Sage @173
    Not as interesting as the stat they put up about our win percentage with Shola in the team…..

Southampton are playing the offside trap so well today, but with Remy’s pace is defiantly there to be exploited when we play them in a couple of weeks

• 192 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Ba is still playing in the PL?!
    I am surprised. This is his first game this season? hh….

• 193 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Have to say there are so many parallel’s to the season we finished 5th, no team has really hit form yet, except as Mister Tuff has pointed out Arsenal who are playing some truly brilliant football

• 194 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM

S’ton are playing good attacking football. Look how they are going up with 5-7 players. That is how you attack. Not with 2-3 players and hoof balls. This is why they are having a good season.

If we would be sending so many players, we would be winning those games not 2-1, but 3 and 4 – 1.

• 195 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Ian Toon from much earlier
    Agree about santon mate, thought he had a great game yesterday and was extremely impressed with his ariel ability, he was winning a lot of cleared balls in WBA’s half and putting the ball straight back in

• 196 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Is that an assist for Ba?

• 197 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Get in! Chelsea 1-1 c’mon we need Southampton’s season to start fading!

• 198 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Mr Tuff- I can see where your coming from I think. Comparisons can be drawn with the season before last but it is early in the season. For me December can make or break a fans hopes and dreams.
    But here’s hoping as Chelsea go in front.

• 199 Graeme // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Chelski 2-1

• 200 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Jesper
    Citeh are going to finish above us so I’d much rather see Swansea get completely routed tbh, can’t see them being up for Wednesday if they have taken a pasting 3 days earlier

• 201 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Chelsea 2-1!

• 202 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM

2-1

Wow. Two goals by defenders. Something we don’t have.

Such a quick change in Chelsea’s game. S’ton are afraid, and that’s what you get when you are afraid.

I prefer Chelsea to win so…

• 203 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Tads- You understand the game and call it as you see it.

• 204 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM

toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Even if they will win (anyone came back from 2 down against Man C in the last 3-4 years) today. They will be so exhausted against us. We should have no excused.

• 205 Ketsbaia9 // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Krul

Debuchy Williamson Agger Santon

Ben Arfa Coutinho Gutierrez

Suarez Ameobi Sturridge

• 206 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Interesting listening to Laudrup, making pretty much ,the same squad draining comments on the Europa as Pardew made last season.

• 207 Ian Toon // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Oleg- it’s pressure and players making mistakes!!

• 208 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

excused => excuses.

• 209 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Man C with the third.

• 210 HullMag6 // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Stayed on the edges until things settled down, evening all.

Another win under our belts and most of us are smiling I hope. Win mid week and its top 4 albeit temporarily. Loving the fact that we’re doing well with willo the old school cb doing the business, I like some have reservations about how easily colo got back in.

At the end of the season let him go home for a nominal fee, sign Richards tie remy down and try to tempt lukaku to us and we’d be potentially awesome. If mike can spare the cash

• 211 HullMag6 // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Ps wasn’t it nice of agent Bruce to give the Bindippers something to think about.

• 212 Graeme // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM

And chelski bags the 3rd from Demba BA!!!

• 213 yo-yo // Dec 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Citeh’s home form is making our dire first game there look okay. Wonder if Swans will bounce back ?

• 214 Oleg G // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I am happy with all results. Maybe would prefer Hull to get only a point, but it is still ok as long as liverfools didn’t win.

• 215 Rotonda heights // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM

tads

surely they’d be out to make up for it

• 216 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM

You think if we are 4-6th in january Ashley will spend

• 217 low fell mag // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Great to see the lads do it again,again, again and again.
    This team ,as I have said it before is a hard team to beat .
    We defend well ,we graft hard, and we can put the ball in the net.
    Long may it continue !

• 218 sachin toondulkar // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Next two games will definately tell if we can finish top 4 or not.

• 219 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:16 PM

John Terry has 33 PL goals 56 in total

Shola Ameobi has 41 Pl goals????

• 220 Mister Tuff // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Next fixtures for December/New year.
    Swansea v Newcastle Wed 4 Dec
    Man Utd v Newcastle Sat 7 Dec
    Newcastle v Southampton Sat 14 Dec
    Crystal Palace v Newcastle Sat 21 Dec
    Newcastle v Stoke Thu 26 Dec
    Newcastle v Arsenal Sun 29 Dec
    West Brom v Newcastle Wed 1 Jan

Tricky ones should be Man U and Arsenal and maybe Soton. But the rest a very clearly winable. I think we are going to benefit from the World Cup – with most of our French players wanting to do well -and giving that bit extra. Fears of Toon fans are slowly diminishing week by week. There may be set backs but as long as progression is seen -most fans will be supportive -of a least the team.

• 221 scout // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM

People talking about top 4 haha ne chance
    We’re flying but come on lads, we have no chance of top 4. I’d take a top 6 all day long

• 222 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Rotonda
    Not with there battered squad mate, don’t think they even have a fit half decent CF to field against us
    They are thread bare, really couldn’t have a better time to play some of teams we have coming up
    It’s just down to us to make the most of it

• 223 pottsclock // Dec 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Laughing my head off at Liverpool fans phoning in to BBC R5 live – attacking Rogers.
    Weren’t they second yesterday? They’re asking for Benitez back.

• 224 REEM // Dec 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Potato

• 225 usmagpie // Dec 2, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I wrote this on Saturday, god how close was this to looking into the future. Swansea let me down.

usmagpie // Nov 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Well up to Fifth, all we need now is a draw between Spurs and Man U and then a win for Chelsea or draw and then an upset with Swansea winning at Man City.
    Then we stay in Fifth, but on the game its was a good win but I have to give big praise to Mike Williamson, I was one of the ones that didn’t understand how he was better than players we have at the club but on the last few outings and especially today he was the man of the match in my book. Good job Mike !!!!!!!!

• 226 Ian Toon // Dec 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM