This Newcastle Player Does It Again

Mike Williamson had another strong game for Newcastle yesterday, and is currently leading our poll for the Newcastle’s best player in the tough game against West Brom, and he has 25% of the vote.

mike williamson

Mike Williamson – another strong game for Newcastle

Mike was outstanding in the second half yesterday, as he headed balls clear and the Stoke-born player has become a surprising stalwart in the Newcastle team this season, and is playing the best football of his career  at Newcastle.

But both Yoan Gouffran, scorer of our first goal,  and Moussa Sissoko, scorer of that sensational second goal, are close behind with 23% and 22% of the vote – respectively.

And yes I screwed up a bit – again – and didn’t have Shola down for the first two hours or so of the poll – I put that down to excessive excitement after the game – I mean how many times do Newcastle win four league games in a row?

Anyway – that’s my excuse. 😀

So Shola would probably have received more than his current 8%, and the big man had another good game for the Magpies.

Here’s a chance to vote if you haven’t already done so.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against West Brom?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• bills-son

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

JB,Haway man, what is the point of saying sides in 5th have been relegated? That is exactly the type of negative comment that only a fan who is torn between wanting the team to do well and wanting it to do badly to be proven right about Ashley and Pardew. Why else would you write it?

• John Tudor

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

no way have i ever wanted the team to lose but you can imply what you so wish
    hey we all want the toon to win but nowt is set in stone .i reserve the right to expect

• valle

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I just watched clarke’s reaction to the game on sky sports and I have to say that I am disapointed in the people involved in football these days. Gone are the days of gentlemen like Bobby Robson, now its winers and moaners all of them. Apperently it was two even sides in first half with us getting lucky on one of our few chances and Remy going down to easy when totally free on goal, so ofcourse no yellow to Olsson.

• MosesNUFC

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

toonbrother, all i can say is to your utterly ignorant comments is,

ARE YOU A MACKEM IN DISGUISE, ARE YOU A MACKEM IN DISGUISE!

I feel like i should rub it into your face that pardew is a good manager and we are playing very well, you just can’t seem to face that mr negative.

• John Tudor

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

stop starting arguments you cannot win

• toonbrother

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

i think colocinni getting 0% of the vote is worthy of an article

• toonbrother

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

ToonDownSouth // Oct 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM wrote
    How a player like Williamson can get into the PL, without the ability to control, dribble or pass the ball, is pretty symptomatic of the problems in th English game

Vex // Oct 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    We’re getting into the game now.. but Williamson… Ugh.. he makes me cringe D:

Brutooon // Oct 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Williamson – Championship Quality
    Perch – Championship Quality
    Both Perch and Williamson at Centre Back = Championship Quality

😀

• bills-son

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM

JB,

I’m sure you don’t want us to lose so why even infer that we could get relegated?

We probably need 18 points from 25 games to be safe. That’s 5 wins, 3 draws and 17 defeats.

Question – do you honestly believe there is any chance of that happening?

• Ibizatoon

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Bills…I’m not sure it’s as simple as that really. I doubt there are many fans out there who want us to lose to be proved right. In fact, I think it more likely that they would love to be proved wrong.

No one is saying 4 wins in a row isn’t amazing….it is and long may it continue.

There are a few issues at play, that often get lumped in to one big thing labelled “anti Ashley and Pardew”.

On Ashley, I still maintain that for every arguably good thing he has done for the club, he has done something stupid for the club. I still can’t get a good read on what his plans are for the club and he still hasn’t addressed a better way of communicating with the fans.

I will hold my hands up though, this training facility has given me a few things to think about. It don’t appear the actions of a man looking to sell sometime soon.

On Pardew, I’ve never had a huge problem with him. He’s not the best, nor is he as bad as some make out (imo, of course). I do question how well he copes when things go against us, but all managers have a fault somewhere.

Anyway, I’ll try stop my morning ramble.

Four wins really are great, but we’ve been here before and we’ve been left to feel pretty naive in the past.

I think the blogs quietness is more a result of many people just not knowing where they stand anymore, but that doesn’t mean they’re not happy with results and performances of late.

Anyway, shaping up to be an interesting season. 5th place lads!

• martoon

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

toonbrother – I agree Colo did not have a great game but I was pointing out that he wasn’t solely responsible for their goal and I’m very suspicious of people who refer to themselves in the third person 😉 I actually thought MYM was hard done by and should have played instead of Colo.
    Incidentally MOTD editing was weird – they didn’t show the first balatant hand ball and Willo’s diving header clearance at the end.

• bills-son

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Ibiza,

Good point on the training ground.

On blog traffic, I think so many have dug such a hole for themselves with their negative predictions for this season and they can’t bring themselves back on to admit they might of been wrong.

If you go back and read the negativity about our ‘joke laughing stock relegation bound club’ that was on the blog in August and early September it reads like mass hysteria.

• cyprus

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Bills,
    I think you too have been on this blog for a long while – it’s always been about those two ‘schools’ (+ and -) and I think that’s how it is, always! I know some people have left the blog, but they aren’t all necessarily the best. TBH, we’ve had some real scumbags come and go, together with the good.

Bottom line: it’s a results business, when we keep winning you’ll read positive posts. When we lose, you’ll read the negatives. Simple.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Anyone noticed the postings drops off on this website when we are doing well. What’s there to be negative about at the minute. If not winning pretty we are grinding out results some say the sign of a good team. Lets enjoy it while it lasts because they will be many who cannot wait for us to loose so they can stick the knife in.

My man of the match Williamson for the last twenty minutes where he was immense and dealt with everything West Brom Threw at us.
    Sissoko was not far behind more like himself big strong and burst forward with those runs when he first came into the team. Debuchy slotted back in as if he had not missed a game. Shola had a excellent second half. Goufran as usual covered every inch of the grass and saved us a couple of times at the back getting in tackles and popped up with his customary goal.

Thought the ref was poor as let a lot off West Brom tackles off the ball incidents go and were rather cynical at times. Should of had at least one penalty in second half hand balls.

Yes Remy was fouled shirt pulled when try to win free kick or penalty instead of going to ground, stayed on feet he was through on goal.

• Ian Toon

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

bills- I am clearly not alone then in seeking to share the elation of another toon win with those that recognise what it is to be a football fan. You only need to read back the pre match posts to realise that the personal animus interferes with their judgement.

“Why is it dead? Because the only fans who come out in force on here now are the Ashley, Pardew, Shola, Willo and Tiote haters and they’ve got nowt to moan about.”

Enjoy your day.

Bollance- Your right ever since the demonstration pre Liverpool game we haven’t looked back- LOL

• cyprus

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

e.g.
    HAD we lost, I would have been critical of Pards for not taking off a knackered Shola in the last 10 minutes, after yet another very good display. I do agree with Chris H., it’s a game of fine details, we could’ ve lost some of these last 4 (see Spurs!!), same as that we could’ ve easily won some we lost (e.g. Hull)

• pottsclock

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Quite looking forward to the ManUre-Spurs match today. We will see whether Manure are back to a very good side – I think mid-week Champions League can be deceptive.
    A month ago I would have fancied our chances againts a poor Manure. Today, I still fancy our chances because we’re organised and hard working. I think we’ll give them a game next week – let’s hope van persie is knackered.
    It would just be awesome to stuff Manure at OT. Rooney always has a strop when they are losing – would be good to see how he handles Tiote

• cyprus

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

On tactics: it seems like we do need a long ball target, like Shola (and Andy). It relieves the pressure, and it provides the speedy change of play that we don’t really have on the ground. I like the combination we are striking; we play a lot on the ground but we also get rid of it -read hoof it if you must 🙂 when we need to.

• Ian Toon

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Incidentally my MOM was the indomitable Moussa Sissoko who had
    the fans totally united behind the team by his boundless energy, marauding runs and superb goal. This is the player I thought we had signed. SJP was really rocking and his goal coming so soon after the WBA equaliser was crucial.

Also I would mention how good Santon was in the air- Williamson even better particularly not being dragged out of the middle.

Tads- I agree with you on Shola he was the link from midfield and was crucial in the pacey players around him being brought into the play. We’ve got a well balanced/ blended side with everyone appearing to understand fully their responsibilities within the team concept.

• Krul To Be Kind

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

WALKING IN A WILLO WONDERLAND!!!

Personally I’m on a real buzz with our league position to date, we are back in ‘bloody nose’ territory again in the upper echelons of the EPL, sure we will take a spanking at some time this season, but we can’t lose heart when it does come… after all we are NUFC and nothing is ever plain sailing!

A big 5 nil whooping of someone this season will be the icing on the cake for me… we are defo overdue an annihilation of someone.

HWTL’s

• Krul To Be Kind

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Cyprus @17

very well put, we can be diverse in our play now, every team needs options and/or an outball… surprisingly Shola has decided to show us what he has shown the managers over the years in training on the pitch during the twilight of his career. I must admit I have much maligned the big guy over the years but credit where it is due, his new found international stardom has given him a new lease of life and long may it continue… maybe he needs a new rolling 1 year deal so he has to work for the renewal every year and not rest on his laurels.

I would hate to see him go on a free shows just how fickle fans can be!

• cyprus

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Krul,
    100% agree on Shola. I have been a big critic (he still never scores!) but credit to the big guy.

• calvinho

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Willo looks awkward on the ball, he panics with some clearances, but he’s a no-nonsense defender. Look at Mertersacker at Arsenal. Not great on the ball, but wins his headers etc. Look at Skrtel, again an uncomplicated player. I think we will have to upgrade at some point, but at present he’s doing what we struggled with at the start of the season…..defending!

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Wow – we’re in 5th place and happy fans still have to justify their views on here and correct idiots with their overly critical views. Is this actually a Mackem site in disguise?
    New training ground – but there’s no ambition!
    Over £7M spent on agents in last year – but we haven’t spent ‘the Carroll money’!
    Players playing with similar spirit to 2 years ago – but Pardew is a rubbish manager!
    Top players waiting on the bench – but Willo and Shola are championship level at best! And our squad is too thin!

There aren’t positive and negative posters on here, there are realistic and extreme posters. It won’t be long before some of the more extreme ones reinvent themselves with a different name and appear saying that we should get into the CL. I’ll still be saying 7th or 8th would be good.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

This is the 10th post in the last hour the day after we get our 4th win in a row and rise to 5th place…that’s sad!

Can the fans please come back that are actually passionate about the club in a positive way? Those that prioritise the football over agendas against Ashley an Pardew, you are missed!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Strange game yesterday – Tiote didn’t have a shot

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Good to see the passion and desire from our players even after they equalised. Plenty of spirit and belief in the squad at the moment.

Lovely goal to win it of course, but best thing is just seeing how the squad is gelling. And we still have Cisse, HBA and Anita kicking their heels on the bench!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Willo has been immense lateley for us although he does have his limitations when the ball is at his feet.

Would anyone else take shawcross from Stoke as the big strong CB ? . Knows the PL well, scores goals and would be a great partner for M’biwa when Collo leaves.

I think a backline of :

–Debuchy—Shawcross—M’biwa—Santon-

Would be great .

On a sad note I see Paul Walker has died 🙁 . Shame, always loved The Fast & The Furious franchise with him and a few of his other films. R.I.P

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

BPC

No, I wouldn’t. Shame ross hasn’t been linked to top clubs or been in the England squad for a couple of years from what I know. We don’t need quantity now, we need quality. We’ve got he money to spend so I’d rather see a better defender coming in for good money. One like MYM, who is too young to play regularly for a top CL team but has ambitions to do so.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

What do you think the score will be on Wednesday night.

• Ciaran

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Apparently I’m sick as a parrot because Newcastle United are doing well? Couldn’t be further from the truth. Absolutely delighted with the win yesterday, especially the manner in which we won. Tiote has improved massively, will be interesting to see if he can perform like that without Cabaye lining up beside him though as those 2 work well together.

Willo and Shola were superb and should keep their places in the side until such time as change is necessary. Colo was not at the races yesterday at all, looked hesitant all game, M’biwa should be (but won’t be) back in the side.

As for wanting the team to do badly to prove a point about Ashley? The team doing well does not mask the fact that he still left us short of options. If Remy get’s injured we lose our most potent threat up front. So the team is doing well but it is not built on massively stable foundations.

As it stands, delighted we’ve followed up our 2 shock wins with 2 home bankers in the bag. Let’s hope we can carry this run on for a little while longer, maybe even with a shock win at OT? Not impossible.

• Small World

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

@25 Charlie in the Gallowgate

Tiote didn’t have a shot as I’ve persuaded the loons around me not to shout “Shoot” every time he approaches the box. Word has now got around :0)

Unfortunately he picked up his first booking in a while for the most innocuous offence. Simply a case of a (poor) ref thinking of the players reputation. I was worried in case he committed similar in the 2nd half and was sent of for effectively nothing at all. We’ve seen some strange red card decisions of late in the Premier League.

• Ted Bundy

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I think this guy would be perfect alongside Mbiwa. Not many are more powerful and aerially dominant than Richards. Whether we could lure him depends a lot on our league finish, I reckon. Sure Pardew would fancy him.

• Yohan Kebab

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

welsh geordie 3-0 to us 😀 remy gouffran and cabaye

le optimism

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Tiote got his yellow for repeated challenges I believe. I saw the ref counting on his fingers. No need to be so quick to criticise!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

@ tads

There must be someone out there that is a beast in the air but comfortable with the ball at his feet for a decent price .

That is Carrs job though and he has very rareley let us down in reguards to transfers.

Just look at how much Spurs payed for Soldado, Gouffran only cost 500k. One of the bargains of the season IMO.

• Ted Bundy

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM

As for the ongoing tit-for-tat spats on this blog, they’re pathetic and the likes of TDS are just as bad as the other lot. Can’t let sleeping dogs lie and always want the final dig.

• Ted Bundy

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Called Saldado as the leagues flop of the season when he signed for Spurs, wonder if NUFC will launch a Graham Carr apprentice scheme? 😉

• Small World

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

TDS @34 – I hadn’t noticed Tiote’s previous indiscretions and and hadn’t recalled him giving away free kicks previously. maybe he had.

I normally rate Phil Dowd as a ref, but yesterday he just seemed to be fond of his own whistle. I thought that he numerous chances to wave play on and didn’t and also managed to let some things pass which should have been pulled up.

I didn’t see any TV coverage so couldn’t really comment on what appeared to be shut pull on Remy and a couple of possible hand balls. At the time, the last one looked to be nailed on to me.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

BPC

I’m guessing that was directed at me…

The issue is getting someone who is the right price but doesn’t take an age to adjust to the PL. We got lucky with someone like Bassong but that doesn’t happen often.

We’ve done pretty well with transfers, I just hope we can get a couple more good ones in.

• bollance

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Ian

The squad has done best when they have had to prove a point. Our fans indirectly suggested the playing squad was not good enough via protesting because we did not make sufficient signings in the summer.

For us it is not easy to make signings. We only pay under the odds and after coming 5th out of nowhere our policy had been closely observed.

A month ago the squad was lacking but is now in great shape. The only thing that has changed is players are coming into form and we have been winning.

There will be bargains to be had in jan and end of the season to take the squad forward but with a hidden cost – agents fees.

Signing players is not a short term solution as it has taken most of our recruits time to settle so anyone we sign in jan will take realistically until next season to fire on all cylinders. Let’s face it we don’t buy players with prem experience.

1 2 3 6