The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Demba Ba – That’s It – I’m Off

4:07 pm, Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 81 Comments

Chelsea striker Demba Ba has said he doesn’t go to nightclubs any more, after the experience he had when he was at Newcastle, where he would go to nightclubs, but he said he was never happy about it – because  it was not in line with his Islamic beliefs.

demba ba a wave

Demba Ba – while at Newcastle he didn’t like night clubbing

Ba has been interviewed in the French publication So Foot,  and he talked about his stay at Newcastle:

“My behavior was never bad but let’s say it was not what Islam teaches.” “Nightclubs, for example.” “People would tell me it was fine, but I don’t go any more because there is alcohol, loud music and scantily-dressed girls. It’s a dangerous cocktail.”

“At Newcastle my friends wanted me to come out with them after the last day of the season.” “I went into the club, turned my head from left to right and said to them: ‘That’s it, I’m off.’”

Demba Ba had a terrific eighteen months on Tyneside, and he scored one goal in every two games for the Magpies, scoring a fantastic 29 goals in 58 total appearances, but he’s found his time at Chelsea  to be much tougher.

And since signing for Chelsea in early January.  he has eight goals in a total of only 31 appearances, with nine of those appearances being this season under manager Jose Mourinho.

We would welcome back Demba Ba to Newcastle tomorrow, because he could still do a great job for us – and we couldn’t care less if he doesn’t go to another nightclub in his life.

He was a great striker for Newcastle, there’s no doubt about that – and he’s being wasted on the bench at the top London club.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

81 responses so far ↓

• 1 NUFC_LEAZES END // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

No need for that like ed

• 2 Graeme // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Ba left for a “Bigger, better Club” the chance to win things – whats he got to show for it – apart from a callous on his arse from sitting on a bench?? Not a lot, lets be honest!!

• 3 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Wasn’t his behaviour in the dressing room also questioned?

• 4 Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

How about you do an article about how Aaron Hughes wouldn’t eat Yorkshire pudding because it was contrary to his Northern Irish upbringing about roast dinners…

Completely irrelevant article Ed.

• 5 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Highlights the need for a player to replace Shola, but this guy isn’t it as he plays best as a lone striker.

• 6 Mister Tuff // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

what Ed does not mention is that this story is being pushed by that well known, well informed sports news reporting service – Sports Direct news.

• 7 Graeme // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM

If the source of an article is listed as “Sports Direct News” I wont open it on principle.

• 8 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

“Children used as ‘flare mules’ at Premier League matches”

Did they saw them in half to determine their age?

• 9 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Sorry copied wrong part of report-

“A survey commissioned by the Premier League has revealed that eight-year-olds have been detected serving as “mules”, smuggling flares and smoke bombs into games on behalf of older relatives.”

• 10 yo-yo // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Ruddy

What would be ‘relevant’ then ?

No reason why Ed shouldn’t put up these little human interest stories.
    It’s voluntary – you don’t have to read it – you can just skip to the comments if you want to.

• 11 kilcline // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM

We need a better version of shola, i would go for Ba or show some ambition and give Chelsea 320m for Lukaka and give him the number 9 shirt!

Also need Ince in Jan to boost our goals and of course sign Remy!

• 12 kilcline // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM

*£20m

• 13 Ted Bundy // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM

yo-yo

It’s just another attempt of his to try and defame and disrupt Ed’s blog. He’s a renowned arsehole.

• 14 Scottiedog // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

@10
    I think the comments on this story is that the Title is hugely misleading!!

• 15 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

come on palace!

• 16 valle // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Not knowning the story, I clicked this link because it seemed like Ba was leaving Chelsea and we might be linked (Since this is after all a NUFC blog?!?) yet its another non story by that sensationalist reporter Ed… You say you dont earn much from clicks Ed? Well you are certianly trying hard enough to get them.

• 17 valle // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Im sorry if it seems a bit harsh… I respekt that this is your blog, but stuff like that makes it seem dishonest and I dont apreciate to be conned into clicking a link that didnt really have anything to do with what the headline suggested.

• 18 Ted Bundy // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I’m sure you know what to do if you don’t like it, Valle.

• 19 AndyNUFC // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Valle, use a bit of logic here – Ed gets without fail in excess of 1,000 comments a week – with that in mind would he really need some sort of ‘click con’ to pay for his site?

Fair enough that’s what I thought when I read it but any good journalist will use the ‘headline / punchline’ of a story to catch attention, in this case a quote about Ba in a nightclub but clearly also relevant to Newcastle fans hoping to see him come back.

Ted, totally agree, for all his sharp wit and critical analysis, he seems to whinge and self promote on here more than concentrate on his own blogging ability!

• 20 bills-son // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Valle,

I know these headlines are misleading but Ed doesn’t earn money when you click an article link but only when you click one of the ads that takes you to another site.

What really pi$$es me off is the pop ups for app download sites. Other bloggers are brassed off about this as well.

• 21 DokToon // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:24 PM

gmorning all,

being on the dark side of the pond, i dont mind any story ed puts up, this is one of my few sites for information about ANYTHING nufc….

if you dont like the stories, go start your own blog… oops, sorry ciaran lol :)

• 22 DokToon // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM

bills ,

i do know there is a good adblocker, but damned if i can remember the name…

• 23 bills-son // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Ted Bundy,

I’m not bothered about the headlines or the on page ads but I think pop ups might have driven a good few away from this site. I’ve installed ad blocker and I still get the bloody things sometimes.

• 24 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yes, I hate these damn pop-ups. Especially on my iPad when I sometimes get diverted 3 or 4 times in a row to another page or to the App Store without even having the option to say no. Then I just give up.

Anyway, sure the article is misleading. Criticism can only be levied by people who do not read The Sun, The Mirror, The Daily Mail or any similar rags.

• 25 yo-yo // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Dok

Are you Stateside ?

So is that you’re in the Boon doks like ?

• 26 yo-yo // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The worst thing is the bloody ads with sound you can’t turn off and the ones that keep replaying even after you’ve turned them off.
    I can live with the other ads

• 27 Toon Tang // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

boon doc. now thats a crafter of the finest beats if ever i heard one

• 28 Jeff from Benwell // Dec 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Ciarin
    Is that TRUE
    REALLY
    Bog Trotters don’t like Yorkshire pud.
    Whoda thunk it
    Must be why they are such ignorant rude feckers

• 29 DokToon // Dec 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM

yoyo,

yes im in the usa… texas to be exact…

• 30 John Tudor // Dec 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM

ad block plus

• 31 yo-yo // Dec 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Dok

That’s what I like about this blog – it attracts fans worldwide

• 32 Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Renowned arsehole? Well at least I’m renowned ;)

• 33 Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

As for human interest stories in players who no longer play for it, not exactly relevant to Newcastle United at all is it?

Find it funny that he never once mentioned the protest march in the days leading up to it – something very relevant to the football club and the owner, yet he chooses to write a ‘human interest’ story about Demba Ba – a player who left us nearly 12 months ago.

I am sure you are smart enough to know the meaning of the word relevant though…

• 34 valle // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

As I said, it might be harsh, but I reserve the right to get good old fashioned piss*d about it!… As to the comments in the line of “just leave if you dont like it”, they are getting a bit boring and dont hold allot of value for debat.

• 35 Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM

that should read “no longer play for us” – duh

• 36 DokToon // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM

yo,

exactly, some of us are not fortunate enough to have the dealing of the toon in our nitely news coverage….

ciaran, i was joking with you…i do read your blog as well… whenever i feel too good about the toon i can go to yours and come back down to reality :)

• 37 Ian Toon // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I’ll try later- football light!!!

• 38 Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Dok

You know I can’t take you seriously so no offence taken ;)

As for providing you with ‘reality’ – well that might be stretching it. I have been increasingly positive about things on the field, as we are beginning to play some good stuff. Now if only that could be backed up with progress off the field…another topic for another day haha

Now where is this infamous table that I will be drinking you under? :P

• 39 Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM

At least the apostrophe is in the right place.

• 40 Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Thoughts about the game tomorrow night? Bit of a debate to be had about team selection – do we go for the win with a strong team tomorrow and rotate the team for this weekend against Man U? Or do we rotate the squad tomorrow evening to keep legs fresh for Saturday?

Personally, I would keep the winning formula we have in order to keep momentum running into tomorrow night against a ragged Swansea team who are missing their two top strikers. Ideally I would see M’biwa slot back in for Colo but the chances of that happening are slim to nil.

• 41 DokToon // Dec 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM

ciaran,

cant take me seriously??? oh its because i wasnt born there, which translates to i cant possibly be a newcastle fan right, inherent birthright and all that??

yeah, you better bring a big old table, youll need it for shade when im threw with ya!!! :)

• 42 John Tudor // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM

nonsensical claptrap

• 43 tequilamag // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM

JT, your specialist subject

• 44 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Hmmn not relevant…. I am certain the idea of whether or not Ba would/could return to the Toon has been mentioned many times on this blog. Ed’s final sentence is a clue. I’m sure nobody would bitch if Ed put up an article about Alan Shearer’s latest observations. Probably better just to skip to the next article, or just ignore the substance of it altogether and talk about something else entirely, or have an argument with a complete stranger thousands of miles away because of the format in which he types words……

• 45 jeff // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM

another pointless article.seriously ed get a life lold

• 46 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Oh great jeffs back. Perfect circle of idiocy.

• 47 tequilamag // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Tsunki well at least we know the internet is working in Pennywell tonight.

• 48 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Well the Swans will be forced to try and walk it into our area, I think they are going to shape up against us like they did at least a season ago when they had stupid amounts of possession and we still beat them. I think we should control the midfield and if we manage that we will hammer them. It will take a change of personnel, fresh legs – and it will never happen but….wait for it…. we should reverse the bench. (cowers awaiting missiles…) :)

• 49 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM

tequila – you can tell he’s blagging bandwidth off Mcdonalds wifi he can only do single sentences. He cant get free wifi of the public library because they dont have one. Or a swimming pool.

• 50 jeff // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Tsunki,dont no what ur on about.this is quite clearly a money making adventure.guess what i saw advertised on this blog last nite?man united kits for sale????this is worse than all the sleazyish stuff u get and u prob **** over

• 51 tequilamag // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Jeff speaking of sleazy, how is the pretending to be a 13 year old boy getting on.?

• 52 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM

jeff – thats interesting because I get ads closely related to what I have been looking at on the internet recently, owing to the behaviour of cookies ( a tech term but bear with this). For instance I was looking atpressure washers and guess what? I go on this blog and pressure washers ads come on. Same happened with winter tyres, and again with mobile hnoes of a certain make.

So….. you get ads for Man Utd shirts, you say….

:D
    Clamped

• 53 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM

hnoes are a type of phone btw :)

• 54 Ancientcoptic // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM

What an absolute Pri**.

His team-mates invited him out, out of courtesy… nobody was making him accept the offer.

Chelsea players, take note! do not invited Demba Ba out for any occasions that involve alcohol, or he will be seeking a move away. Yeah Right.

I never liked this guy, I heard about him being a snob when he was at West Ham, he refused to give his signature to a few high profile supporters who were at a West Ham Xmas bash… and Ba being Ba refused to give a signature and got into an altercation over it.

Chelsea are welcome to Ba and his sneaky, ingenious smile.

• 55 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM

jeff – what do you think of SAF’s lap dog? Think he’ll get you near the title this year? Or are you looking forward to Europa?

• 56 Ancientcoptic // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

”Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Completely irrelevant article Ed.”

Apart from the article being directly relevant to Newcastle, as it involves a player that previously played for Newcastle, talking about NUFC – the club that this website is based on.

• 57 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

its all gone a bit hush in salford….

• 58 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I’d like to see the Aaron Hughes article like I’m really interested in his ethics regarding roasties…

• 59 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM

20 minutes is a pretty long time even by Lancs standards, jeff.

• 60 tequilamag // Dec 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM

My local does boiled mashed and roast spuds with a Sunday lunch which is one too many for my tastes. Not sure what Aaron Hughes would make of that. For the record the yorkshire puddings are rxcellent but if Aaron Hughes does not like them they will be happy to leave them off the plate.

• 61 jeff // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Tsunki its cause im a footie fan.i click on man u results on BBC. unlike you.your just a glory hunter.wear we’re u last season?not on this blog.prob burning your NUFC gerseys (if you have any)

now we are back and prob gonna get champions leeg football ur all pretending to be an nufc fan like

fickle fans,and u say mike ash is the problem

#GetALife

• 62 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

jeff – I was here mate. And I am a footy fan which is why I DON’T check Manure results. And hashtags are for twitter or instagram. Did you get your Red Devils top then?

• 63 Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Ancient

So whenever anyone who has ever played for the club mentions anything even remotely linked to Newcastle Ed should do an article about it?

Sound logic, especially since he fails to cover other salient issues relating to the club.

• 64 yo-yo // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

ruddy @ 31

I’m not sure having a famous sphincter is something to relish or celebrate.

” infamy, infamy – they’ve all got it in for me.”
    Kenneth Williams. ‘Carry on up the Khyber’

Seriously though – I didn’t know the background to Ba’s infamous night club pic about the time we were being sponsored by an upstanding loan company – so actually I did find it quite enlightening.
    The thing is Ed is a soft target for you as he doesn’t tend to answer back or see things with quite your revolutionary zeal (though he is far from uncritical of the regime).

• 65 JAMSHA // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM

palace playn well

• 66 jeff // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM

red devils?is that a man u top?sorry i dont know what theyre fans call them

• 67 yo-yo // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM

jeff

Id be very surprised if there were any Toon fans who could be remotely described as glory hunters – it’s a tough roller coaster but we ain’t scaled the heights in recent years if you have been following the club for any length of time..

• 68 Ciaran // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Yo-yo

I really don’t care. I am far from alone in being critical.

• 69 Tsunki // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM

And manure fans are not glory hunters these days are they? City are by far the bettter Manchester team anyway, eh, jeff?

• 70 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Palace & West Ham play some of the worst football in the league. Awful to watch .

• 71 G // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Finally, there’s some football being talked about tonight.

• 72 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

What’s more ironic a toon fan being called a glory hunter or being told to get a life by someone who spent a whole summer pretending to be a 13 yr old Indian boy?

• 73 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Mackems rock bottom again :) .

• 74 MacToon // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Carry on Cleo ;-) not Up the Khyber.

• 75 John Tudor // Dec 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM

none from teqs

• 76 jimmysmith // Dec 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Wouldn’t mind a squid for every time Demba Ba’s Chelsea career has been written off as a dud, although it seems to me that he’s still in the first team picture there and Chelsea are also right in the frame for well, the fuggen lot!

What a sap for having a go…….such a loser!

• 77 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Ancient @ 53
    Wow talk about hearsay and getting your facts wrong!!!!
    “That’s it I’m off”…. For the night mate, not to put in a transfer request ffs!
    And those WHU fans you speak of, the ones he wouldn’t sign autographs for, that’s because it was during a dinner when the players were instructed by management not to, several players where then insulted racially, this was in the summer btw, a massive contributor to his decision to leave WHU
    It really couldn’t if been a Xmas meal seeing as he signed in late January and left in the summer
    Honestly mate who ever you heard that of throwing out more sh*t than a muck spreader

• 78 yo-yo // Dec 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

It was a shame we lost Demba – but he did have some very greedy agents who were playing him too. He made the wrong move for a few bob – but heyho we all make mistakes

• 79 lesh // Dec 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

It’ll not belong before Sports Direct’ll be claiming that they indirectly helped Demba see the light about the temptations of night clubs, by exposing him to the alcohol, loud music and scantily-dressed girls that have led many a bloke astray….. or on the road to happiness.

And Sharon, @4, yes the article makes a change. How about you penning an article about irrelevant articles?

Arsenal’s looking for a top drawer striker and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he went there in January. At least he’d get a game and be in with a good chance of lifting the Champions League trophy.

• 80 Sav // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I thought only the Mackems wore flares these days. Fancy gettong a child to smuggle your strides in.
    to the Stade de Shite.

• 81 Ancientcoptic // Dec 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

toonarmydownsouth

Your source that says West Ham players were told not to sign autographs? (which led to the Ba altercation)

Why would Ba tell the person asking for an autograph he was ”too tired” to sign an autograph, if he was indeed was not allowed to sign any autographs.

Why would a club tell players not to sign autographs, at an end of season bash anyway? Does that not seem odd to you?

It was not just any old joe’s, these were people with invites.

previous post: I Want To Uphold The Traditions Of This Great Manager