The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Want To Uphold The Traditions Of This Great Manager

2:00 pm, Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

Alan Pardew and Newcastle are on a  terrific run at the moment, four wins in a row, and we’ve seen Alan Pardew, the Newcastle manager start to talk about a number of things he has hardly talked about in the past  - since the pressure is off him – well at the moment it is. :D

alan pardew wonga

Alan Pardew – wants to uphold the traditions of the great Sir Bobby Robson

But whatever you think of Alan as a manager, and we know he still has his detractors who don’t think he’s  good enough to be the Newcastle manager – the man has tremendous mental strength – and that’s always a huge advantage when you are seeking success in any endeavor.

The measure of a man (or a woman) is how they react when they are up against things – in difficulties, not how they react when everything is going swimmingly.

And if a manager had to go through hell and high water last season it was Alan Pardew, and he must have come awfully close to being fired in January, when we lost 2-1 at home to Reading, after we had won all seven previous encounters against that same club, who were below us in the league table..

But he survived and so did Newcastle, and now we seem to be riding high again – although we’ll keep our feet firmly on the ground.

This is what Alan has said today in the local press:

“You have to prove yourself as a manager at any club, but particularly at a big club, that you can handle the tough times.” “I did that at West Ham and got a lot of respect from West Ham fans, more for that, probably, than some of the great victories and getting to the cup final and the promotion we got.”

“Maybe it will be the same here. Maybe in the future, people will look back on that year and say, ‘Well, he still handled it with a bit of dignity and respect’, which I tried to do.” “Bobby Robson brought that to this job and for me, that’s the beacon for me to make sure I uphold those traditions.”

“The players are not so immune to it as myself because I have been in the game a long, long time.” “They were probably more hurt than me and it’s their response that should take more credit because they are the ones who actually have to perform.”

“It’s a difficult audience at times, but at the minute, it’s easy to play.” “The crowd is on our side, they are right behind us and therefore, we are making life easy for ourselves.” “I don’t really care about the honors too much.”  “The most important thing is we have proven in November that we were as good as anybody, and now we have got to take that into December.”

It’s good that Alan mentions the incomparable Bobby Robson there, because Bobby always handled himself  with great style, and he was loved throughout the football world – and deservedly so too.

And he always was an idol of mine – a role model – and just a great guy in every respect.

We really do expect Alan Pardew to win the Barclay’s Manager of the Month award for November – with four wins, and two of those wins were against top sides in Tottenham and Chelsea – so it’s hard to say that Alan doesn’t deserve the award.

sir bobby robson john carver

John Carver and Bobby Robson – circa 2003

But of course it’s an award for the club – and hopefully it will not be the only time that the manager wins the monthly award this season – and if he wins it again this season, you can bet Newcastle are flying high in the league table.

And that would be simply fantastic.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · FA Cup · Newcastle News · Premier League

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 bills-son // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Repost:

One of the reasons for Willo’s good form is the cover Sissoko and Gouffran are giving to Debuchy and Santon. Last season with HBA and/or Cisse out wide our flanks were constantly under pressure and the CB’s were being drawn out of position especially when the FB’s were caught too far forward.

I said last season and again at the start of this season that we would continue to leak goals and always be likely to get a hiding if we continued with HBA in front of Debuchy and didn’t protect Santon or curb his forward runs.

Pards current system is not only helping the FB’s and CB’s its also helping Cabaye and Tiote because they aren’t getting pulled out wide as much either. Plus, have you noticed how Cabaye and Tiote are always making themselves available for an easy pass when the CB’s have the ball. That has cut out a lot of Willo’s hoofing.

My point is that Colo has only had one game back from injury in this new system. What has helped Willo cut down on errors will help Colo as

• 2 Transfer Sage // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM

bills

I agree, think it will help colo. I’m not annoyed to see colo in the side, just prefer mbiwa as he was getting a good partnership going and colo wants to head home as soon as we can reach an agreement.

• 3 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Article in the Guardian reviewing season so far, nice to see news coming out of NUFC that is not negative.

• 4 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

bills
    We are also NOT relying on the full backs to provide width in the attacking third. Reverting back to 442 has resolved the issues with the FBs and allows flexibility within play. In addition I would like to see HBA starting in this formation as a forward without being required to provide defensive cover.

• 5 donegalmag // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Just a word on Colo, you’ve got to feel for the guy, his marriage seems to have ended and he is torn between NUFC and his family, we cannot forget the sacrifice that he has made and what his football career has cost him, yet he continues to be a great leader on the pitch and on the training ground..he understandably wants to go home, that’s just human nature

For me he has earned his place in the team, its not ideal for imbiwa but if colo is on his way he should know that he only needs to bide his time and continue to impress when given the chance..

• 6 NEoffers.co.uk // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Save 32% on Geordie Frame Gift Idea

Great Christmas Idea to not only ‘Geordie’ up your home but to show your pride.

• 7 Transfer Sage // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM

donegalmag

I don’t know the ins and outs but don’t think it’s cost him his marriage, his wife is back home but from the comments it sounds like she is just waiting for Colo to join here.

He has been good for us, but this past year he has struggled too, and with him wanting to go i’d rather we get as much use out of mbiwa now.

• 8 martoon // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM

It’s funny that only a few weeks ago a lot of posters were saying that 4 3 3 was the only way for us to play. Now 4 4 2 is the dog’s whats-its – maybe Pards does know something about tactics and formation after all ;)

• 9 martoon // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Transfer Sage @7 =- If the rumours are to be believed it was a blond in Cramlington that cost him his marriage!

• 10 Munster Mag // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Billson, how are you these days. Havent been on the board much myself. Too many screamers!! We both felt that our full backs were a weakness, in fact, the whole defence. Pardew must take great credit, although I still dont think we have a good defence, at all. We now play a very narrow game, and the improvement of both Tiote ( awful last year ) and Williamson ( we were v concerned about the aerial strength of colo and mbiwa, fairly ) has made all the difference. Santon is still a poor defender in my books but the team shape has helped him loads, and the fact that he has cover in front of him. Of course this year we have a certain Frenchman up front, which makes a huge difference to us, and Ameobi has improved so much. Great credit to Pardew. I would happily have seen him go in the summer but he is a good man manager, and has altered how we play. We are now a decent team to watch. I think any fair fan would have to acknowledge this. I do think that none of us could have complained if we had lost 1-3 to Spurs but why not take the luck ( and goalie brilliance ) when its available? One more thing that can be said for Pardew – he’s a very good man manager and that should also be acknowledged.

• 11 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

martoon
    Shame its taken Pardew a whole season to figure out his FBs were a weakness, I think the whole league knew it.

• 12 donegalmag // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Transfer Sage

I understand and accept you point on this, i am just looking at it from a personal point of view, i know how I would feel in his boots, his wife’s tweets seem to be relating to him letting her go..guess we will never know the full story, he has been a great player and captain for us so i hope he does manage to get his personal life sorted.

As for imbiwa, he has had a couple of good games but has had some very poor ones, still think colo is the better choice at the minute but I would be happy enough for imbiwa to prove me wrong cause I think he could be excellent, just needs to improve some of his decision making..

• 13 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM

donegalmag
    From what the wife is said to be saying and from personal experience, I would presume the marriage is over. The only thing that will save it are his huge salary, moving to LA and the wife starting a fashion line!

• 14 donegalmag // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM

70TWO

I think you’re right,

Wasn’t very impressed with the tweets, some things should remain private…bit of attention seeking I think..

• 15 Transfer Sage // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM

donegal

I see what pardew is doing, getting the most from his captain whilst he still has him, just my peference in mbiwa, i don’t think using colo is a bad idea, just different to what i’d do.

Martoon

yeh, i heard that sort of stuff too, just going off what his wifes words in the paper were the other day.

I don’t think formation is a massive issue, it’s getting support on the pitch where it is needed. 433 used properly would be as good as 442 i think, but pardew semms more confident using 442, which is fine with me. It’s what city and man utd use…works well enoguh for them the past couple years.

• 16 donegalmag // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM

not trying to be cynical but 4 4 2 is also easier to explain to players that don’t have good English, as our foreign players adapt to the language and PL style we may see the team become more flexible when it comes to formations…

At times when we were playing 4 3 3 or 4 2 3 1 some of our players seemed a bit lost, 4 4 2 gives everyone a very specific set of instructions which are easier to follow…

Just my opinion, I manage a local team and have tried out a number of formations but it takes a lot of technical ability and understanding to make them work, not easy on the pitch at 100MPH

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Colo is a better defender that MYM but is lacking match practice. Pardew had the choice of leaving him out and then be forced to bring him in at some point in the future or play him in two winnable games and hope for him to get back into it. We won both of those 2 games and he should be hitting his straps now, so isn’t that the perfect result? We now have 3 centre backs who are all good enough to start and a 4th currently kicking his heels.

• 18 Transfer Sage // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

donegalmag

also pardew, from his era playing and his previous style managing will have a lot more experience with 442…so will be able to adapt it to more situations…whereas he has limited knowledge, or more limited, still will know enough, to get a more passing/complete technical game going.

I enjoy the balance of pass and move, combined with balls up to shola or over the top for remy/gouff to chase….much quicker to attack and more interesting to watch.

• 19 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I saw someone else talk about “Pardew’s favourites” yesterday. Surely this is completely disproven on the basis that Jonas hasn’t been put back on the bench recently, let alone the team!

Tiote and Anita have very different styles from what I can see, so saying that he picked Tiote over Anita last season is unfair. The closest we had to Tiote last season was probably Perch. And surely he’s been vindicated by showing faith by Tiote’s performances this season?

• 20 Transfer Sage // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

TDS

As I said, both mbiwa and colo are more than capable, just comes down to what we individually prefer, for me mbiwa as he has a bit more pace and was playing well with willo (then again spurs tore our back line apart on 3/4 occasions where poor finishing cost them, so not perfect either).

I just think we need to continue to phase colo out and let him return home this summer, he’s done a lot for us.

• 21 Ian Toon // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM

donegal- 4-4-2 like any formation requires a disciplined and responsible undertaking from the players. The two wide midfielders are providing coverage for the two fullbacks which was not happening with HBA. Both Gouffy and Sissoko have adjusted to the rigours of the PL and have diligently undertaken the role whilst being an attacking force as well.

Aside from Remy scoring a number of goals Shola has linked the midfield in a withdrawn role – so our formation has been tweeked by Pardew. Tiote and Cabaye have blended perfectly and for me this is a marked difference from central midfield pairings both suggested and played. They work together so well and complement one another.

• 22 donegalmag // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Transfer Sage

I think 4 4 2 has been wrongly cast aside by many teams, when things aren’t going your way you should always be able to go back to basics..

And I also enjoy the balance we have between passing and direct play but I also like that we are very hard to break down.

I am optimistic about tomorrow night, think if we continue as we have been we can come away with all 3 points.

would like to see cisse and ben arfa get a run out but they will need to work their socks off..

• 23 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

TS

I’m all for allowing Colo to go home this Summer if that continues to be what he wants (as looks likely) but I still want us to play the best 11 (injuries, tactics and fitness permitting) that we can for each match. Against Swansea Pardew may even give Willo a rest as I don’t think they will be pumping too many high balls into the box will they?

I do know that Saylor is going to have a hard time working his way back to the first team…

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM

One gotta wonder with the players we have bought since Pardew took over why we didn’t out and out 4-4-2 players?

…you never ask yourself that? Or maybe those of us who think contineltal players who are used to 4-3-3 would. be ideal in a 4-3-3 are just silly?

Nah…you wouldn’t be that arrogant to think that would you?

• 25 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM

*buy

• 26 Jackel001 // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Colo shouldn’t have knocked up some tart. Lost all respect for the bloke to be honest. To be captain of NUFC and to basically come out and say ” I want to leave” is shocking. He’ll be away in January and I’m more than happy to have Yanga his replacement because he’s shown what he’s all about lately.

• 27 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Where does this Colo thing come from? People keep saying that he got someone else pregnant but where does this come from?

• 28 Mister Tuff // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM

TDS – there’s a lass in Cramlington who is pushing around in a pram a kid with long curly permed hair and who has a Spanish accent.

• 29 martoon // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

donegalmag @22 – I noticed on Saturday we were mixing up the play but I have to say although the passing was nice to watch we never really played a killer pass apart from when Reme was put through and hauled down (in my opinion) where as some of direct balls forward were very effective. I’m not suggesting we go back to hoofball but just that we need to find an end product to the passing game.

• 30 donegalmag // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM

ToonDarnSarf

Seems it was mentioned on a blog in January with no real evidence to back it up..

None of her tweets seem to suggest that he cheated or that she has been scorned in anyway, looks more that they simply grew apart..

• 31 Munster Mag // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

So after all the crap talked by fans in the summer that 442 doesn’t work , and all the various psychedelic formations put forward by guys who play too much Football Manager, we now find that 442 seems to suit us best , with a traditional “big lad” up front. What is strange though is that despite having a big target man, we don’t play with out and out wingers. If anything our formation is very narrow and condensed. I think a team with good wingers will hurt us actually.

• 32 Mister Tuff // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I’m afraid I’m going to inject a bit of cynical suspicion into the Missus Colo story. Bit funny how there
    has been recent reports that Colo is saying he wants away again. Enter stage left -Missus Colo with
    tales of forsaken love and family desperation -she has been separated from her knight in shining armour
    (that’s Colo by the way). Her life is over -with Sir Colo Shagalot marooned in a far away land.
    Nice timing I think -will support Colo’s moves to get away again. It will be a cold hearted individual who be
    responsible for keeping these, now international, lovebirds apart.
    When a player says he wants away -as far as I am concerned -that should signal – no more games.

• 33 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Mister Tuff

Haha. That could be the lovechild of Kevin Keegan and some Spanish tart for all you know! In which case, we should really sign him up asap!

donegalmag

That’s kind of what I expected…Chinese whispers leading to people believing something as fact.

• 34 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

A strong defense is the foundation of a successful team and being more than a sum of their parts. When we have lost the team has looked miss-shaped and fragmented, so long may the current success continue. Pardew will however need to start incorporating other members of the squad from the start of matches, ie. Collo, to build up form.

• 35 roy // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Coloccini is well past his best and should be allowed to leave. Mbwia is far superior and a better player.

• 36 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

* eg. Colo

• 37 donegalmag // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

martoon

I was most impressed by the passing out wide which lead to good crossing opportunities which takes advantage of the 2 upfront with a winger supporting.

I agree that we lacked the killer pass at the end of some good moves but west brom did defend very well throughout the match.

We cut Norwich open on a number of occasions but poor finishing was the issue, we also gave Chelsea a few scares before we scored; when we played spurs they had the best defense in the league and that pass from gouf for the goal completely cut them apart..

I think we will see a few more killer passes as the movement of our forwards improves..

I think cisse makes some good runs which allows other players the room to make passes, even when he is not scoring he give defenders alot to think about, would like to see him and remy get a few games together..

• 38 donegalmag // Dec 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Also think Cisse is very close to finding his form again, had a goal wrongly ruled out against norwich and got into some great positions in which sissoko or remy could have simply rolled the balled to him but chose to go alone and waste the chance.

The team should be working together to get him a goal, might spark him into life..

• 39 Jarra // Dec 4, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Once again tonight similar tactics I imagine, first twenty minutes keep formation tight do not concede. Then start to probe without being silly. Second half if we do take the lead then again keep it tight but keep an out let as sitting back like we did against WBA and trying to play out time is a little bit risky. Besides that three games inside a week and I wild have n nails left.
    Just keep your ego under control though Mr Pardew sometimes saying nothing is better PR Sir Bobby Robson never needed to tell anyone he was a good manager.

previous post: These Two Have Been Brilliant In Training – Still Not In Side