The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

The Bigger Newcastle Get – The Harder It Will Be

9:09 am, Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

If Newcastle are going to become a bigger and better club in the next few seasons, then some of our good players who cannot make the starting line-up,  will need to become patient, because it will become harder and harder for every player to get a start at Newcastle.

Alan Pardew at Rangers shouting

Alan Pardew - the same thing happened to me

That’s the way it is at big clubs like the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal, and just ask Demba Ba, who has seen precious little playing time for Chelsea his season, but it was great to see the former Newcastle striker get his first league goal of the season against Southampton on Sunday.

And as far as we could tell, Ba looked as good as ever – he’s just not getting anywhere near the playing time he got on Tyneside.

Loic Remy – please take note.

Alan Pardew is now having to deal with good players coming to him and asking for a game – and we hope that continues – because it would mean the team are performing very well.

This is some of what Alan said today in the local press:

“I just give them examples of what they have done for the club.” “When you are in the position of having won four games I ask them, would you like to be left out? They accept that, but they are just frustrated and I have no problem with that.”

“I’ve had it all my career. I’ve had it as a player as well when I’ve been in and out of the team so I know what it feels like.”  “That’s one of the beauties of playing the game. You do get an empathy with players when they are in this type of situation.”

“When the first team are training and playing well, you might be doing well but you can’t get in the team.” “It has always been like that and the bigger the club, the more problems you get.”

“It is a different set of problems from when you win to when you lose, but I’d rather be winning so they are the sort of problems I don’t mind.” “I don’t mind players knocking on my door and I’d take it as a real negative if they didn’t.”

Pardew will give some players a start tomorrow night, who have not played too much this season, and of course we have a tough game at Old Trafford on Saturday, so he’ll need to rest some of our players.

We would expect Yanga-Mbiwa and Vurnon Anita to definitely get a start tomorrow night, but who else may come in will be interesting.

What would your team be for tomorrow night?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Newcastle News · Premier League · Vurnon Anita

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Roger // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

The only thing i can say is

NEVER CHANGE A WINNING TEAM

• 2 sigwaldsen // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I don’t expect either Anita or Yanga-Mbiwa to start. I think the only change from the side that won this weekend will be Cissé for Ameobi.

Ameobi will be more crucial against Man Utd, as we are likely to play more direct football there. Besides – Pardew has stated that he’s not a 2-games-per-week guy. Given that we are more likely to produce a result against Swansea than against Man Utd, I think Pardew will field as strong a side as possible here, and make more changes to the side against Man Utd.

my guess, anyway.

• 3 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Roger // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

The only thing i can say is

NEVER CHANGE A WINNING TEAM

then why was Collo in the starting lineup instead of MYM?

since Collo came back we have already conceded 2 goals against easy team.

i only fear that when Collo starts again tomorrow they will be goals conceding.

Debuchy, Willo, MYM, Santon.

this was our winning back 4.

• 4 martoon // Dec 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Roger @1 – I agree – I’d rather go all out for a result at Swansea and take our chances with a changed team, if necessary, against Manure.

• 5 70TWO // Dec 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM

“Loic Remy – please take note.” – & Cabaye.

• 6 Whumpie // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

What??
    Let me get this right:
    - Pats gets stick for lacking ambition and not trying to win every game
    - We’ve just beaten Cbelski and Spuds and are ahead of Manure in the league
    - We hav3 more competition for places than we’ve seen in a decade with the likes of Benny struggling to get a game
    - We have just one unavailable player

…. and you think we should select a team based on the idea that we won’t win at Manure anyway??

previous post: Swansea Could Be Suffering From Newcastle Syndrome