The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Dressed Players Down – You Should Be Ashamed Of Yourselves

9:49 am, Wednesday, December 4th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 94 Comments

It’s coming to light what Alan Pardew told the Newcastle players after the defeat at Sunderland a few weeks ago, and even though he told the press after the game the side had played well – he knows the result is all-important, and a second successive defeat against an under-performing Sunderland side, was more than hard to take for the Geordie fans.

yoan gouffran west brom

Yoan Gouffran – applauds crowd after the West Brom win on Saturday

And Yoan Gouffran, who again is in sparkling form this season, has told the French media the French players were taken aback by the Newcastle manager, after he had dressed the Newcastle players down after that shameful defeat.

This is what Yoan told the French daily L’Equipe:

“The defeat in the derby at Sunderland was the lowest point.” “After the game, the coach Alan Pardew brought us back in and told us that we should be ashamed of ourselves, for the supporters.”

“He said ‘these are not necessarily people who are rolling in money’. Everyone was taken aback by this dressing down. There were questions asked.”  “Now we play more as a team and we have the players to finish in the top eight.”

Well Alan got that right, and it’s interesting he tends to be a little political in front of the cameras – but he knows a defeat against Sunderland is simply the very worst thing that can ever happen to Newcastle.

And two defeats in a row for the first time since 1967 – well – I ask you.

At least all the Newcastle players know just how crucial the Sunderland derby is – and we have to win the next game at St. James’ Park in February – Saturday 1st February to be exact.

That’s an absolute must.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Yoan Gouffran

94 responses so far ↓

• 1 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Wonder what he told last time.

Last derby victory with him was nearly 30 months ago.

• 2 WWSBRD // Dec 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Attitude unquestionably what a Newcastle player should have for me and work ethic to match getting to grips with the league well. I’ve become a bit of a fan

Lovenkrands Jonas type of player

• 3 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

WWSBRD

You were/are a jonas fan

I agree he has been brilliant, Player of the season so far for me.

• 4 WWSBRD // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Himanshu
    I am a Jonas fan mate had a rough last season and shouldn’t of played as much, clearly had some issues on and off the pitch but I still hope he gets some good performances stuck in this season

• 5 WWSBRD // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM

As for player of the season so far he’s tied with Tiote(who I have been very critical of since we signed if am honest but he’s been outstanding so far) and Remy

• 6 anirudh175 // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM

We need another playmaker and a central defender..and a striker..and we are good..Pastore, a strong sakho type CB and Demba Ba..we can win the league with these three additions!!!! Go Geordies!!!

• 7 ilovetoon8788 // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

@WWSBRD // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

After many years, i think we have finally upgraded Jonas and do not like to see him back taking Gouffy position.

A jonas-type player who actually scores and assists. Finally. He’s right on, to get more than 10 goals this season.

• 8 WWSBRD // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM

ilovetoon
    I don’t seem him as a winger anymore though mate CDM seems his best spot now

• 9 sachin toondulkar // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I m just lovin to see my friends so jealous about Newcastle united ahead and above Manu..There is 90% chance that they will overtake us at the end of this week.But our midfield will just crush Manu..With our good defensive show in past few weeks and Remy Ameobi Partnership along with Anita Cisse Benny From the Bench, I think this is the best time to beat Manus whom I hate so much coz most of my friends supports it and I just hate manu more than anythin and in india almost 70% of football watching people support Manus.But Number of manu fans are decreasing coz more number of plastic fans

• 10 Yohan Kebab // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

jonas should have been made a cdm a long time ago

great engine, good short passing, good dribbling good defending.

bad crossing, getting slower

screams not a winger to me

• 11 mindshaft // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Think we should start with the same winning team, if Shola can only play an hour then change for Cisse, if we’re winning comfortably bring on Anita for Cabaye and HBA for Gouffran/Sissoko

• 12 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I hope he changes things up a bit – not just for this game for generally.

We need more than 12-13 players on form and we need to be able to øake tactically decisions based on each game.

I am all for change :-) This don’t change a winning formular fly’s just as well for me as the saying “if it ain’t broken don’t fix it”!

What do you do when you need change then or you start loosing (we all know how it sound in here when that happen)

• 13 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Any specific changes Jesp ?

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM

There may be an outcry from people who open mouths before engaging brains, but it is possible that Pardew will rest Willo for this game. Not for any reasons of form but because Swansea move the ball around a lot and can also attack with pace. Very good game for someone who read the play well and someone else who has the pace. No Michu and no Bony might mean that MYM and Colo are the perfect combination.

Of course, I’m not football manager (not even a computer one!) so I could be completely wrong…

• 15 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

The thing I like about our team at the minute is that we can score from so many places on the pitch the opposition doesn’t know how to handle us .

I have noticed we only really play 4-4-2 when defending, but when we break on the opposition or have an attacking spell our players interchange and show up all over the pitch .

Just look at Gouffran, he is technically playing left wing but regularly finds himself inside the box like against Norwich to get a poachers tap in .

Then you have Shola giving the opposition defence what for and letting Remy do his thing .Then you have Sissoko like an unstoppable train on the right (although he cuts inside a lot) with Debuchy backing him up and almost playing as a right winger at times, and Santon on the other side .

Then you have Tiote protecting the back four and Cabaye pulling the strings .

And four wins on the bounce shows it is very effective .

• 16 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Colo may not play because of personal issues.

A feeling I have got!

• 17 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM

HD will post some old tosh about Pardew or Shola.
    just a feeling I got.

• 18 Ted Bundy // Dec 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Team I think he might go for:

____________Krul____________
    Debuchy__Willo__Colo__Santon
    Sissoko__Anita__Tiote__Gouffran
    ____________HBA
    ____________Remy

A really difficult line-up to predict, as Pardew is big on consistency and not breaking a team up, but also big on factoring in tiredness. Wouldn’t be surprised to see more changes, particularly across midfield, but I think Sissoko and Gouffran have been essential to our run, and with the likelihood that two speedy wingers in Routledge and Dyer will start for them, I think he might stick.

Having said all that, can’t wait for Obertan to appear on the team sheet at RW. 😀 You think I’m joking, don’t you? I reckon there’s a fair chance, given Pardew’s recent comments about him.

• 19 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

gmorning all,

love to see 5 in a row, i think we can… unf, the match is not terlevised here, so im quite pissed….

• 20 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Tequila

Both are garbage and suited to dustbins. Just like you.

Oh! you were right.

Congrats! go tell your mother now.

• 21 Yohan Kebab // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM

would anyone take berbatov on a 6month deal in jan to see how he does? him and remy up top could be grogeous

• 22 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yohan, can`t see Fulham letting him go on a loan deal whilst they are in a relegation scrap.Puls his form this season has been pretty poor.
    HD you really need to brush up on your insults. you will never be a purple poster at this rate..

• 23 Rainrix // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Dok… Morning Mate, can’t you just stream the match? Or is that too complex for an american? 😉

Yohan Kebab…. People complain about cisse and hba being lazy, hate to think what they’d say about berbatov if he played for us :). He might actually do well for our team as we can actually create chances but he’s not the kind of striker we need in my view not to mention age. But if it was between berbatov till the summer or no striker in january then yes i’d take him

• 24 Ciaran // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Dok

Howdy partner 😉 Btw I don’t take you seriously because you’re a loveable rogue, not because of where you live, I am not even from Newcastle myself haha

How are things bud? I’m not going to get to see the match tonight either, work comes a calling.

TDS

For once I agree with you, I think Pardew may drop Willo as they play the ball much more on the deck rather than in the air, however, the M’biwa Colo partnership looked shaky in its early days so I’m not so sure I would trust it.

• 25 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

rain,

what island do you live on again? lol

actually i am at work, and then, of course, my son has his soccer match right after…. so yes, way too complex for us uncivilsed barbarians 😉

• 26 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

ciaran,

morning to ya, murphys law is at work here, the two matches toon play this week, my son has his games as well…

if i ever meet murphy, im kicking his ass :)

• 27 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Not sure I’d trust MYM and Colo either, but I wonder if Pardew has been experimenting with this in training this week. Not much time to get it right but I’m sure he must have considered it.

I also think we’ll need Ameobi on Saturday a lot more so he might consider playing Remy up front on his own with HBA supporting him or even HBA and Goofy on the wings with Sissoko, Cabaye and Tiote in midfield.

Wouldn’t be too surprised to see one of those midfielders rested if they are a little tired. I’ve no problem with Anita coming in for any of them.

• 28 Yohan Kebab // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM

the only reason i say this is that he is unhappy at fulham and didnt he support nufc as a child?

yes he may be lazy but if he can create and make the right decisions in possession and bring in other players (which hba rarely does) then he may be a less than obvious shola alternative

• 29 Diggedydaws // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I think he’ll go with a 5 man midfield, Remy to start up front with Cabs pushed further up and Sissoko and Guffy pushing on when it counts.

I also don’t think he’ll change much with the back four.

Try for 2 goals first half then revert in to our shell as per…

Hope we don’t mind but that’s how he sets his stall out.

• 30 Diggedydaws // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Saying that like, cabs is a booking away from a ban and so is sissok, so we may see anita and HBA tonight.

• 31 Yohan Kebab // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM

i have changed my opinion on cabaye, i used to think he would be more suited to a role higher up the pitch to provide assists and longshots

but having watched him play as a very very deep lying playmaker i find him much more effective there

having said that a team of

krul
    debuchy willo mbiwa santon
    sissoko tiote anita cabaye gouffran
    remy

has the potential to be fluid in attack and solid in defence

• 32 Toon Tang // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I wonder if jonas had to take his sports bra off as he was being dressed down.

• 33 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

so is consensus to go for three points today, or go for them on saturday?

i think we should keep the same lineup that has been producing this string of wins, minus colo… save him for manure…

• 34 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

TT do you often wonder about football players wearing womens clothes?

BTW he was in Argentina for the Sunderland match.

• 35 Diggedydaws // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I would go for the points in both but my opinion is, we should and I think will rest (because they are a booking away from a ban ) Cabaye and Sissoko tonight to make a stronger case on Sat.

Man U have improved a bit of late but we would I think win the game in midfield against them and we need those two to do it.

• 36 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

tequila

I am with you, I don’t understand how people can’t see the benefit of shola and willo. Sure they have weaknesses but they also bring something to the team others don’t.

Would I swap them for drogba who holds the ball up well and scores with vidic who is a brute but much better? of course I would…but it doesn’t mean I can’t see the positives too.

Some just dont want to or don’t see the whole picture and just look at goals.

• 37 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM

TS i have always argued the case for players who are unfairly singled out for criticism. Shola has limitations no doubt but as he is enjoying something of an Indian Summer and playing out of his skin at the moment. I hope he has a great WC. Looking to the future he has to be replaced but deserves a little more respect.

• 38 roy // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Pardew should drop Coloccini rest Ameobi and play Cisse tonight. And the unbeaten run will carry on with a 2-1 victory.

• 39 Diggedydaws // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

TS,

You forgot or CAN’T you can lead a horse to water…

When you are playing a player in his favoured position and he is playing well, so well by merit he is keeping another potentially better player out,IMO you play him until he drops a bollock or plays himself out of form.

We’ve had a belter of a month, just hope we can maintain momentum because tonight is about managing his squad and getting a result for wor Alan.

• 40 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

agreed tequila, well said

• 41 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Cheers Dok, what position does your boy play?

• 42 Ted Bundy // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM

MA won’t leave this football club until it has won a trophy doing it his way, with Pardew at the helm. He’s out to spite the fans by bringing them success – only at Newcastle :)

I think with this investment in new training facilities, it shows he’s still got his feet firmly under the table.

• 43 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

teq,

he’s a striker, has 15 goals in 6 games with 8 assists… only 7, but i think hell be a MF in the likes of cabaye….

• 44 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Good for him, as long as he enjoys it that is the main thing. I was talking to a guy the other week who was talking about his son and the the team he played for.He came across like Catchy. Hate that win at all costs mentality for kids football .

• 45 Ciaran // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Dok

Ah yes Murphy, good man, know his family well 😉

TDS

Potential banana skin regarding selection. If he rotates, loses the game and then loses at OT this weekend Pardew could be slated by those stating that we should have went for the win tonight. However, if he plays our recent winning side tonight, gets the win but rotates on the weekend and we get rolled over by Man U, you could have others stating that he should have kept the strongest side for OT.

In recent times I would not have trusted Pardew to make the right call, but increasingly I am liking his team selections, and what he is bringing out of players like Tiote, Sissoko and more recently Santon, that I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Personally, I would make subtle changes tonight, I would play Anita in some capacity as his ability to pick a pass could be crucial in countering Swansea who will most likely have a lot of possession. Still unsure about HBA and how to use him, tonight would seem like his sort of game but if his attitude isn’t right he may as well not even be on the bench.

• 46 Ciaran // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Or that this white elephant project is being rolled out to lure potential investors.

• 47 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Ciaran, not sure why embarking on this kind of investment would be attractive to potential buyers ? It is one more additional cost and quite a large one that they may not have wanted to make themselves. same as with 8 year contracts.
    You could argue that once completed in, 2015 I believe, then it would add to the value of the club but it is unlikely it would be a deal maker in itself.

• 48 Ciaran // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Tequila

Just adding a critical spin, tongue in cheek nothing more. I agree that it would appear that MA is going nowhere any time soon if this announcement is to be taken at face value. Planning application needs to be sorted so it is far from a done deal yet.

• 49 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Ciaran, I agree the mood music at the moment does not suggest an imminent sale. My opinion for what it is worth is the sale when it does happen will come out of the blue and only at a price that will suit MA.His best chance of getting that is to have a successful “product” to sell. I hate football being described as a product but that is the mentality of the people who run our football clubs these days. That means to me winning something.
    I don`t buy the happy to just stay in the PL argument.

• 50 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

teq,

i have told my boy to just go out and have fun with it… but, he must keep his grades up in order to play… soccer is a priveledge to play, not a given… but he does love it… he did ask me the other day, “dad, what will you do if i have to play for man u?”

i sat back and wept at the thought… but told him id still love him…

• 51 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Tell him if his grades drop he will have to play for Sunderland, that should motivate him.

• 52 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Ciaran

Your last post reflects the issue I have with the Pardew detractors. Finishing in 5th did not make Pardew a world class manager and finishing in 16th did not make him not good enough for the Premier League.

If he goes for the win today and rotates against Man Utd, he will be accused of not having ambition, if he tries best 11 in both he will be accused of not knowing how to use his squad, if he plays a weakened team today then he will be slated for not going after the easy points. It’s always easy to find criticism in hindsight and with thousands of people putting their opinions across, some of them are bound to get it right. If I person could get the right decisions pretty often then they need to get into football management!

Pardew was limited last year in terms of form and injuries, whereas this year he has choice. People were calling for the likes of Campbell and Marv last season yet it’s clear Marv hasn’t pushed on and Campbell isn’t ready yet.

Pardew is going to make mistakes, as all managers do, but at least he’s got decisions to make this season, last season he didn’t have many options.

• 53 toonincheek // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

For me, M’Biwa & Collo.
    Willo doesn’t deserve to be dropped, but he isn’t being dropped. He is being rotated, taking advantage of the different problems Swansea may present.

I’m torn between starting Anita or Cabaye as playmaker. Yohan is so important, but I’d give Ainta the chance to show what he can do, with Cabaye on the bench.

Tempting to try Dummy & Sammy on the left side, but that may be a change too much and lead to a lack of organisation.

I’d play HBA with Cisse – both Remy and Goofy could do with a break to make sure they are hot for Saturday.

OK to play them as subs for 20-30 minutes, if need be.

• 54 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Honestly, I think there is rarely a justification for slagging off your own players. Cabaye deserved some stick over the summer for the way he conducted his wanted transfer to Arsenal sure, but I can’t think of any others who deserve stick. I don’t agree with the Colo abuse because all of us would want to return home if separated from our family and we really don’t have reliable quotes on what exactly he said (just translated stuff from Argentina).

Willo, Shola, Tiote and Santon have all got stick when they don’t deserve it.

In fact, the player (other than Cabaye) who probably deserved the most stick is Ben Arfa! Trying to dribble past a player on the halfway line when there’s a pass on is just not clever…

I don’t think Pardew deserves stick either, I think he’s doing the best he can and that’s pretty good at the moment.

Mike Ashley is fair game for certain things he’s done though. I don’t always agree with the methods of the dissenters or the reasons they criticise him, but he’s definitely done enough to deserve some crap sent his way.

• 55 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I wouldn’t drop Cabaye unless he’s knackered. Whether Anita plays, and for who, should depend on the fitness of the other midfielders. I think HBA, MYM and Anita should come into contention, and maybe even Jonas too if he’s fully fit. His energetic approach would be useful when we’re going to have to close them down quickly.

• 56 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

TDS, MA is a strange one. Think Pardew gave us a clue when he alluded to MA being an emotional character who sometimes makes decisions that hurt the club. He could have been a legend but so much bad shit has happened he is unlikely to ever regain the supporters trust never mind affection.

• 57 Ciaran // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

TDS

I’ve been in defence of Pardew, slated him towards the tail end of the season, and now I see him as a decent-ish manager who can achieve mid-table regularly, but maybe not more than that on a consistent basis.

Without going into a critique of Pardew/Ashley that will resort in an another argument, let’s just say that I will refrain from criticising Pardew in the future as he does a decent job in the circumstances. He could do a lot of things better, but there are a number of positive aspects of his management that the players seem to pick up on so it seems to be a case of steady as it goes.

Tequila

A better product may require more investment. Could be argued that he does not want to make that investment. While many could see this training ground announcement as investment – which is correct – it is significantly less investment in comparison to a 15 million quid player. It is all relative.

• 58 Mister Tuff // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Percy’s dilemma today is how many changes to make. I’m sure he’ll want to put last weekends team out against Man U. For tonights game he therefore has to rest a couple of players -probably including Cabaye who is a yellow off suspension. The tricky bit is -how many changes does he make tonight. He might rest Remy for Cisse and bring on Benny and Anita as starters. If he makes too many changes and we are beaten -Percy will get slated.

• 59 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

tequilamag

I know he is, which is why I think some of the negativity thrown his way is counterproductive to be honest. I don’t think it will improve things for the club so I think some fans need to be smarter in this regard. He’s a businessman and he’s not a football fan like you and I, so I think someone needs to engage with him that is both a football fan and can talk in his language.

Maybe JFK can get through to him?

Answers are needed to some key issues and maybe things will calm down on the political front so we can all focus on the football.

• 60 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM

i am in agreement with diggity @ 35, rest cabs since hes one yellow from a ban, and let him go vs manure, put anita in vs swans….

• 61 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM

TDS It would be nice to see HBA get a run out he has come in for a lot of criticism lately. Jesper and I have argued the merits of HBA but I think some of the criticism has been a little much sometimes. Of course if he does pick HBA and we win then I look forward to Jesp praising MA for his proactive approach to selection.!!!

• 62 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Ciaran

I agree. I don’t see Pardew as a manager of a CL team to be honest, but as we aren’t a CL team I think he’s about right for us.

The dilemma will be if we get the club into a position where we’re seriously challenging the CL places, do we stick with Pardew who has given us the chance to get to that point or do we get an experienced CL manager who can take us to the next level.

Question is, does Pardew have what it takes to grow into being a CL level manager? I have my doubts…

• 63 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

tequilamag

MA is selected the team now is he? :-)

I might be tempted to play HBA today too, but I won’t be bothered if he doesn’t. Maybe he can apply himself for a few games. I don’t think he necessarily needs to track back but I do know that if he’s on the halfway line, he shouldn’t try to dribble past 3 defenders…he’ll usually lose the ball and any players that have run past him are out of the game and the opposition can counter attack.

People need to give the ball to HBA and trust that he won’t lost possession easily.

• 64 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Ciaran, I agree that investing in players is the logical way to bring success, really happy with investment in the training facilities but the benefits will not be seen for a number of years. Summer transfer windows have been agonising for the last 2 years. Perhaps MA is going against popular wisdom and sees the Jan window as a better option. Most of the other PL clubs have already spent there money and the top clubs don`t want to fork out for players they can`t play in CL or Europa. Maybe MA thinks there are better bargains to be had by targetting players in the last 6 months of contract with less competition from other clubs. You could argue that last winter was a panic reaction to head off relegation but the season before we bought Cisse when we were in a similar position to now.

• 65 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM

TDS, of course have you not heard Pardew is a puppet

• 66 AmeriToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Morning lads, if anybody needs a good site for streaming i think the best is: Nutjob.eu
    It shows all premier league games as well as NBA, NHL, and NFL if im not mistaken.
    I’ll be skipping my last class today to watch all of the game.
    There doesn’t happen to be anyone else on here from Indiana? I go to IU and have yet to meet another newcastle fan

• 67 estechco // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Match day once again and the site seems to have more tumble-weed than visitors these days.

Ed, perhaps you could run one of your infamous polls?

Who/what killed nufcblog.com?

a) Having the modern day Howard Hughes for an owner
    b) Pointless squabbling amongst its longest serving readers
    c) Dubious pop-ups/advertising tailored firmly toward a male audience
    d) All of the above

• 68 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

ameri,

dont feel badly, im in houston and have the same problem

• 69 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

estecho, Maybe it is because we are doing well. People get angry and use the blog to vent when things are going badly. I think the arguing has improved lately, well a bit. Then again I couldn`t resist poking HD this morning so I am not entirely blameless.

• 70 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM

teq,

amazing what four games on the trot can do for our morale isnt it? :)

• 71 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM

and think what six in a row would do for us!!

• 72 tequilamag // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Dok exactly who would have thought the main point of contention would be whether we should be resting players in a winning team?

• 73 Anita the Legend // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

TDS

I’m new, first post here! Been reading for many months and always thought about getting involved.

I took your post as a catalyst because you are totally right about HBA mate, totally. He is starting to look like he doesn’t have it in him at times when he gets lost on the pitch and has 3 opposition bearing down, he just hasn’t always go the silly touches, sometimes, but not always.

Shame, he’s obviously got proper technique, talented, but he’s never going to hit those heights we all once thought about, I think people would agree he’s never going to be a top consistent player and no other team in the top 5 or 6 wouldn’t even want him.

Hi btw 😉 I’m Craig.

• 74 Anita the Legend // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

*got the silky touches.

• 75 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

teq,

no one on here, ever… but its a great argument lol… long may it continue..

ciaran – wtf are you talking about TDS? always start cabaye…

TDS – ciaran, once again youre not listening, save cabs for manure and start anita, damn you”

jeff – “this blog sucks, everyone is happy and ive no one to be a mackem with”

TS – “heard a rumor, dont quote me, but messi is impressed and wants to come to tyneside”

ciaran – “TS, stop drinking ashelys kool aid, were getting ronaldo”

just an idea what next week will be like :)

• 76 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Dok

Gone a little stir crazy? Haha

Tequila

I thought that about the jan window too. The key will be this jan, if we get 2/3 which is usually what clubs do in the summer then we look like jan is when we do our business as routine now. Last jan might have convinced Ashley how he gets more for his money is jan so that’s when we shop.

It maybe it was just a panic buy and we don’t want to spend. Guess we won’t know til we see what we so in January.

• 77 Ciaran // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Dok

I can be negative again if you would prefer? 😛

• 78 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

TS.. maybe :)

ciaran… im good with your happiness :)

• 79 Ciaran // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Dok

Happy with the playing side of things. Still want Ashley out 😉

• 80 DokToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

ciaran,

thats a 50% swing, and ill take that lol

• 81 Robby Bobson // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Would take a draw tonight and if we really get at man utd then theres no reason we cant come away saturday with 4 points for the week.

Its also very possible we can come away with 0 points for the week.

Shola wont be in tonight i dont think, he cant do saturday wednesday saturday and i think he will defo be involved against utd.

Then its whether pards goes for HBA or Cisse to replace him, personally i hope its HBA, cisse hasnt showed anything at all this season.

• 82 Ciaran // Dec 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

As far as I am concerned, even if Cisse scored 10 goals between now and the end of the season he should be sold in the summer. Can’t have an ineffective striker on the bench. It is embarrassing that it is December and he hasn’t even scored this season in the league.

Carlton Cole has more goals than him…

• 83 Munster Mag // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Darn Sarf, good points there , especially at 52. I would happily have seen Pardew sacked in the summer so its hands up from me. In fairness I realy liked the guy once he settled in , but then got very fed up with his formations and lack of ambition against weaker teams, and justifiably so. I have always said he managed people well though. Whats surprising is that so many people have egg on their faces over Willo and Shola, and the fact that more or less 442 is working so well. As I have said before, countless times, there’s nothing wrong with 442 provided the key ingredients – the players – know their roles. In fact even madder is that fact that its Shols who is the link man betweem Remy and the midfield. Its certainly an unusual 442 ( or 4411) in that we seem to play very narrow.

• 84 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Anita the Legend

Hello and welcome to the blog!

I think the problem with HBA is that he is sometimes over-confident and doesn’t engage the brain. It looks great when he beats 3 players and scores, but there are times we need to just hold onto the ball and not give the opposition a chance to score.

I’m hoping he’s learning this lesson while sitting on the sidelines…

But yeah, he doesn’t have the application that the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney and Suarez have.

• 85 Ginger // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

The thing I like about our squad at the minute is the fact that we could potentially play close to new starting 11 tonight, aside from Debuchy.

———————-Elliot————————-
    Debuchy–STaylor–Yanga-Mbiwa–Dummet
    Obertan—–Anita——Bigirimana—Sammy
    ——————-Ben-Arfa———————-
    ———————-Cisse————————

And to be honest that team isn’t even that bad. Obviously this wont happen, but it’s nice to know that if injuries come on we have decent back up.

• 86 Robby Bobson // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Its not even that he is not scoring, hes just offering nothing to the team when hes on. Constantly offside and even lacks a decent touch this season.

Something that amused me on saturday…when Cisse and HBA were told to get ready, Hatem was in his shorts shinpads boots etc but left his jacket on, Pardew called him to bring him on, he removed his jacket to notice he wasnt wearing his shirt and he’d left it in the changing room!!! By the time he ran back with the kitman and returned to the pitch It seems pards had lost patience and put cisse on.

• 87 AmeriToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM

@85 ginger
    That looks like a solid 11 minus obertan.
    Also i rate haidara higher than Dummet, he’s better now and has more potential. If you cant tell im a big fan of his lol
    Would love to see haidara play tonight even tho he played for the u21s this week, just so santon is well rested for Man U.
    Although santon is pretty fit so he might not need resting.

• 88 Munster Mag // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Ginger, sadly that team would lose, all day long.

• 89 Ciaran // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Robby

That’s why I would sell Cisse. We need players who contribute to a style of play, not simply offer goals. As it stands, Cisse offers neither.

• 90 sweendog // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I reckon we need the same team again .. why change a winning formula .. then if we’re ahead tweak it .. I anita for cabaye ..obertan for remy ..
    CB’s should be either willo + Collo/Mapou

• 91 AmeriToon // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

To think if only Cisse’s goal vs norwich hadn’t been wrongly called offside. For once he was actually on, that goal could have done loads for his confidence. I know cisse is off a lot but he seems to also get wrongly called off more than usual, i believe last year in the europa league vs Anzhi at home he got a goal wrongly called off

• 92 lesh // Dec 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Gannon sachin toondulkar, ye tell thim kiddor in hev a laff after wiv torned ManU ower.

Ganon bonny lad!

• 93 John Tudor // Dec 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

shame you dont for posters

• 94 Anita the Legend // Dec 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

TDS

Thanks man.

Yeh, you’re right, we need him to be more solid, keep possession and pass when he us under pressure. I love the lad, but when he starts talking about the Ballon D’or after just 3 matches this season, it’s obvious he’s a bit daft. Needs to get his head down and keep fit. He’ll get chances.

So who would you play tonight mate?

I’m thinking this:
    Krul
    Debs – Willo – MYM – Haidara
    Sissoko – Anita – Tiote – Gouffy
    HBA
    Cisse

Bring Remy on late if we need him, maybe Shola too off the bench. I’m thinking Jonas will play though actually, he’ll work hard away from home and track back, maybe give Gouffy a rest?

previous post: Michael Laudrup – This Newcastle Player Has Everything