Pardew Dressed Players Down – You Should Be Ashamed Of Yourselves

It’s coming to light what Alan Pardew told the Newcastle players after the defeat at Sunderland a few weeks ago, and even though he told the press after the game the side had played well – he knows the result is all-important, and a second successive defeat against an under-performing Sunderland side, was more than hard to take for the Geordie fans.

yoan gouffran west brom

Yoan Gouffran – applauds crowd after the West Brom win on Saturday

And Yoan Gouffran, who again is in sparkling form this season, has told the French media the French players were taken aback by the Newcastle manager, after he had dressed the Newcastle players down after that shameful defeat.

This is what Yoan told the French daily L’Equipe:

“The defeat in the derby at Sunderland was the lowest point.” “After the game, the coach Alan Pardew brought us back in and told us that we should be ashamed of ourselves, for the supporters.”

“He said ‘these are not necessarily people who are rolling in money’. Everyone was taken aback by this dressing down. There were questions asked.”  “Now we play more as a team and we have the players to finish in the top eight.”

Well Alan got that right, and it’s interesting he tends to be a little political in front of the cameras – but he knows a defeat against Sunderland is simply the very worst thing that can ever happen to Newcastle.

And two defeats in a row for the first time since 1967 – well – I ask you.

At least all the Newcastle players know just how crucial the Sunderland derby is – and we have to win the next game at St. James’ Park in February – Saturday 1st February to be exact.

That’s an absolute must.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Wonder what he told last time.

Last derby victory with him was nearly 30 months ago.

• WWSBRD

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Attitude unquestionably what a Newcastle player should have for me and work ethic to match getting to grips with the league well. I’ve become a bit of a fan

Lovenkrands Jonas type of player

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

WWSBRD

You were/are a jonas fan

I agree he has been brilliant, Player of the season so far for me.

• WWSBRD

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Himanshu
    I am a Jonas fan mate had a rough last season and shouldn’t of played as much, clearly had some issues on and off the pitch but I still hope he gets some good performances stuck in this season

• WWSBRD

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM

As for player of the season so far he’s tied with Tiote(who I have been very critical of since we signed if am honest but he’s been outstanding so far) and Remy

• anirudh175

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM

We need another playmaker and a central defender..and a striker..and we are good..Pastore, a strong sakho type CB and Demba Ba..we can win the league with these three additions!!!! Go Geordies!!!

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

@WWSBRD // Dec 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

After many years, i think we have finally upgraded Jonas and do not like to see him back taking Gouffy position.

A jonas-type player who actually scores and assists. Finally. He’s right on, to get more than 10 goals this season.

• WWSBRD

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM

ilovetoon
    I don’t seem him as a winger anymore though mate CDM seems his best spot now

• sachin toondulkar

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I m just lovin to see my friends so jealous about Newcastle united ahead and above Manu..There is 90% chance that they will overtake us at the end of this week.But our midfield will just crush Manu..With our good defensive show in past few weeks and Remy Ameobi Partnership along with Anita Cisse Benny From the Bench, I think this is the best time to beat Manus whom I hate so much coz most of my friends supports it and I just hate manu more than anythin and in india almost 70% of football watching people support Manus.But Number of manu fans are decreasing coz more number of plastic fans

• Yohan Kebab

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

jonas should have been made a cdm a long time ago

great engine, good short passing, good dribbling good defending.

bad crossing, getting slower

screams not a winger to me

• mindshaft

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Think we should start with the same winning team, if Shola can only play an hour then change for Cisse, if we’re winning comfortably bring on Anita for Cabaye and HBA for Gouffran/Sissoko

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I hope he changes things up a bit – not just for this game for generally.

We need more than 12-13 players on form and we need to be able to øake tactically decisions based on each game.

I am all for change 🙂 This don’t change a winning formular fly’s just as well for me as the saying “if it ain’t broken don’t fix it”!

What do you do when you need change then or you start loosing (we all know how it sound in here when that happen)

• tequilamag

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Any specific changes Jesp ?

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM

There may be an outcry from people who open mouths before engaging brains, but it is possible that Pardew will rest Willo for this game. Not for any reasons of form but because Swansea move the ball around a lot and can also attack with pace. Very good game for someone who read the play well and someone else who has the pace. No Michu and no Bony might mean that MYM and Colo are the perfect combination.

Of course, I’m not football manager (not even a computer one!) so I could be completely wrong…

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

The thing I like about our team at the minute is that we can score from so many places on the pitch the opposition doesn’t know how to handle us .

I have noticed we only really play 4-4-2 when defending, but when we break on the opposition or have an attacking spell our players interchange and show up all over the pitch .

Just look at Gouffran, he is technically playing left wing but regularly finds himself inside the box like against Norwich to get a poachers tap in .

Then you have Shola giving the opposition defence what for and letting Remy do his thing .Then you have Sissoko like an unstoppable train on the right (although he cuts inside a lot) with Debuchy backing him up and almost playing as a right winger at times, and Santon on the other side .

Then you have Tiote protecting the back four and Cabaye pulling the strings .

And four wins on the bounce shows it is very effective .

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Colo may not play because of personal issues.

A feeling I have got!

• tequilamag

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM

HD will post some old tosh about Pardew or Shola.
    just a feeling I got.

• Ted Bundy

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Team I think he might go for:

____________Krul____________
    Debuchy__Willo__Colo__Santon
    Sissoko__Anita__Tiote__Gouffran
    ____________HBA
    ____________Remy

A really difficult line-up to predict, as Pardew is big on consistency and not breaking a team up, but also big on factoring in tiredness. Wouldn’t be surprised to see more changes, particularly across midfield, but I think Sissoko and Gouffran have been essential to our run, and with the likelihood that two speedy wingers in Routledge and Dyer will start for them, I think he might stick.

Having said all that, can’t wait for Obertan to appear on the team sheet at RW. 😀 You think I’m joking, don’t you? I reckon there’s a fair chance, given Pardew’s recent comments about him.

• DokToon

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

gmorning all,

love to see 5 in a row, i think we can… unf, the match is not terlevised here, so im quite pissed….

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Tequila

Both are garbage and suited to dustbins. Just like you.

Oh! you were right.

Congrats! go tell your mother now.

• Yohan Kebab

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM

would anyone take berbatov on a 6month deal in jan to see how he does? him and remy up top could be grogeous

• tequilamag

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yohan, can`t see Fulham letting him go on a loan deal whilst they are in a relegation scrap.Puls his form this season has been pretty poor.
    HD you really need to brush up on your insults. you will never be a purple poster at this rate..

• Rainrix

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Dok… Morning Mate, can’t you just stream the match? Or is that too complex for an american? 😉

Yohan Kebab…. People complain about cisse and hba being lazy, hate to think what they’d say about berbatov if he played for us :). He might actually do well for our team as we can actually create chances but he’s not the kind of striker we need in my view not to mention age. But if it was between berbatov till the summer or no striker in january then yes i’d take him

• Ciaran

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Dok

Howdy partner 😉 Btw I don’t take you seriously because you’re a loveable rogue, not because of where you live, I am not even from Newcastle myself haha

How are things bud? I’m not going to get to see the match tonight either, work comes a calling.

TDS

For once I agree with you, I think Pardew may drop Willo as they play the ball much more on the deck rather than in the air, however, the M’biwa Colo partnership looked shaky in its early days so I’m not so sure I would trust it.

• DokToon

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

rain,

what island do you live on again? lol

actually i am at work, and then, of course, my son has his soccer match right after…. so yes, way too complex for us uncivilsed barbarians 😉

• DokToon

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

ciaran,

morning to ya, murphys law is at work here, the two matches toon play this week, my son has his games as well…

if i ever meet murphy, im kicking his ass 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Not sure I’d trust MYM and Colo either, but I wonder if Pardew has been experimenting with this in training this week. Not much time to get it right but I’m sure he must have considered it.

I also think we’ll need Ameobi on Saturday a lot more so he might consider playing Remy up front on his own with HBA supporting him or even HBA and Goofy on the wings with Sissoko, Cabaye and Tiote in midfield.

Wouldn’t be too surprised to see one of those midfielders rested if they are a little tired. I’ve no problem with Anita coming in for any of them.

• Yohan Kebab

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM

the only reason i say this is that he is unhappy at fulham and didnt he support nufc as a child?

yes he may be lazy but if he can create and make the right decisions in possession and bring in other players (which hba rarely does) then he may be a less than obvious shola alternative

• Diggedydaws

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I think he’ll go with a 5 man midfield, Remy to start up front with Cabs pushed further up and Sissoko and Guffy pushing on when it counts.

I also don’t think he’ll change much with the back four.

Try for 2 goals first half then revert in to our shell as per…

Hope we don’t mind but that’s how he sets his stall out.

• Diggedydaws

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Saying that like, cabs is a booking away from a ban and so is sissok, so we may see anita and HBA tonight.

• Yohan Kebab

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM

i have changed my opinion on cabaye, i used to think he would be more suited to a role higher up the pitch to provide assists and longshots

but having watched him play as a very very deep lying playmaker i find him much more effective there

having said that a team of

krul
    debuchy willo mbiwa santon
    sissoko tiote anita cabaye gouffran
    remy

has the potential to be fluid in attack and solid in defence

• Toon Tang

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I wonder if jonas had to take his sports bra off as he was being dressed down.

• DokToon

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

so is consensus to go for three points today, or go for them on saturday?

i think we should keep the same lineup that has been producing this string of wins, minus colo… save him for manure…

• tequilamag

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

TT do you often wonder about football players wearing womens clothes?

BTW he was in Argentina for the Sunderland match.

• Diggedydaws

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I would go for the points in both but my opinion is, we should and I think will rest (because they are a booking away from a ban ) Cabaye and Sissoko tonight to make a stronger case on Sat.

Man U have improved a bit of late but we would I think win the game in midfield against them and we need those two to do it.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

tequila

I am with you, I don’t understand how people can’t see the benefit of shola and willo. Sure they have weaknesses but they also bring something to the team others don’t.

Would I swap them for drogba who holds the ball up well and scores with vidic who is a brute but much better? of course I would…but it doesn’t mean I can’t see the positives too.

Some just dont want to or don’t see the whole picture and just look at goals.

• tequilamag

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM

TS i have always argued the case for players who are unfairly singled out for criticism. Shola has limitations no doubt but as he is enjoying something of an Indian Summer and playing out of his skin at the moment. I hope he has a great WC. Looking to the future he has to be replaced but deserves a little more respect.

• roy

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Pardew should drop Coloccini rest Ameobi and play Cisse tonight. And the unbeaten run will carry on with a 2-1 victory.

• Diggedydaws

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

TS,

You forgot or CAN’T you can lead a horse to water…

When you are playing a player in his favoured position and he is playing well, so well by merit he is keeping another potentially better player out,IMO you play him until he drops a bollock or plays himself out of form.

We’ve had a belter of a month, just hope we can maintain momentum because tonight is about managing his squad and getting a result for wor Alan.

• DokToon