The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – It Was All The Referee’s Fault

8:00 am, Thursday, December 5th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Newcastle’s four game winning in the streak came to an end at the Liberty Stadium last night, and in fact it was a crashing end after 12 points in four games, and Newcastle just didn’t play anywhere near their best form last night, and seemed content at least in the first half to simply contain Swansea.

alan pardew swansea

Alan Pardew – unhappy with the referee last night

But the tactics didn’t work very well, and after the game Newcastle manager Alan Pardew had some blame for referee Howard Webb for two penalty decisions he didn’t give in that second half.

And Jonjo Shelvey, who was Swansea’s best player could also have received a straight red card as he was seen to aim a head-butt at Mathieu Debuchy during an angry exchange between the two players, again in the second half.

This is what Alan Pardew said after the game:

“Two big decisions went against us and that was crucial in the result.” “The first one was a penalty, no doubt in my mind about that.”

“I felt that at the time and my players reaction told me everything I needed to know, and that should have told Howard as well.”

“It hit his arm and it’s going in the back of the net. That’s a penalty isn’t it?” “Again the second was for a foul on Gouffran.” “I thought Williams had no chance of winning that header, he has gone into the back of Gouffran and he just played on.”

“I was disappointed in those decisions.”  “I’ve told him that as well. He has given me his explanation and I accept that, and I don’t agree with it.”

“And there is the incident with Jonjo.”  “Looking at video highlights I think that was disappointing for Jonjo as I think he is a terrific lad and that’s unlike him, but again maybe you could argue he should not be on the pitch.”

Maybe the FA will look at that incident with Shelvey and see if some retroactive action is necessary, but there’s very little chance of them doing that.

We were beaten and we didn’t play well – that’s the truth, and we didn’t get the breaks either, but when you don’t win and don’t get the result – what you get is the reasons – it’s always either results or reasons.

And the above are Alan’s reasons for the defeat.

The main thing now is to recover for the game at Old Trafford on Saturday, against a side who were rocked last night by a late goal from  Bryan Oviedo after 86 minutes, and the Red Devils lost (again) 1-0.

We’re currently above Manchester United in the league table in 7th place, and maybe we’ll get a chance to get a win at Old Trafford on Saturday for a change – that’s the immediate response we are looking for from this Newcastle side.

Last night is over, it’s gone, and all the lads can do is to learn from what happened, so they are potentially a better team in the future.

Maybe at Old Trafford on Saturday?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Mathieu Debuchy · Newcastle News · Premier League

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 firebug666 // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Howard Webb 3 Newcastle 0

• 2 Transfer Sage // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM

ref was poor but we cost ourselves the game with the tame performance.

Also when the second goal went in we gave up, little rushing them, just standing off, we needed to get on with it. The players let themselves down, they had 20 mins after the second goal but didn’t use that time well enough.

• 3 toonbrother // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM

AWAY AT OLD TRAFFORD,
    PARDUMB IN CHARGE
    COLOSHITTY AS CAPTAIN
    sounds like the beginning of a wes craven movie
    i sense a bloodbath this saturday

• 4 firebug666 // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Transfer Sage,
    I agree we did not do enough in the game, we did not deserve the win. Pardew got his tactics wrong, and giving them so much possession only helped their confidence, but we never get anything from from Howard Webb, and he was determined to keep his run going last night. If we had gotten that first penalty the game may have changed in our favour, but with that ref, if Shelvey had head butted Debuchey, the ref would have sent off our player.

• 5 Hatem's better than Messi // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Poor performance.
    This is us at 100%?

I’d have sacked the puppet last January but here we are nearly a year on and we are still playing poor football.

Anyone thinking four games on the trot is an indication we are a decent side should look at those wins. Chelsea had played a lot of top sides in a short space of time (Pardew would have had a heart attack) . Same with Spurs. Norwich & WBA at home … well okay we squeezed passed them to pinch the points.

Then bump … reality check.

Form is temporary.
    Class is permanent.
    We’re shite and will be until Ashley goes.

• 6 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM

toonbrother

You are either a mackem or you just have unrealistic expectations. Pardew is a good enough manager for where we are now and Colo has been our captain and fantastic players for years. They both deserve respect.

Colo has also been our best central defender that I can remember!

• 7 Transfer Sage // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM

firebug

I am not convinced it was a pen, i don’t like them given and glad they are giving less. The problem is a different ref would see it differently, there is little consistency with prem refs which is appalling really, the standard is very poor compared to top level cricket/rugby officiating.

Toon brother

I prefer mbiwa too

• 8 martoon // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I knew it wasn’t going to be our night when Reme’s header was saved and we didn’t get the penalty. A very bad day at the office where we had no luck at all – I’m very disappointed but lets not start a sack Pardew campaign.

• 9 valle // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I agree with much of what have already been said… We played awfull and didnt deserve anything, but Howard Webb (Who I have never rated) didnt help matters and its about time someone gives him some bad rep in the media. After all the years in man utd’s pockets, he still seem to be the mdeia darling as the best ref, well he is far from it and I hope someone else get the WC spot for England. Im not sure if Swansea deserved anything out of this game neither. For all their possesion, they seem to lack ideas of what to do with it and if the decisions had gone against them it might have been a different game.

• 10 valle // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM

ToonDarnSarf… Dont label people who dont share your owns views as mackems, it makes YOU look like the tool.

• 11 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Look at the penalty decisions without bias. The handball would have been harsh and the ‘push’ was extremely light. I didn’t get to watch the highlights and they only showed a replay (from a bad angle) once in the game, but it certainly looked like he went down easily.

Put it this way…the handball (with the new rules this year) might have been given 40% of the time, the push maybe 20% of the time and the red card for Shelvey maybe 70% of the time. Also Debuchy’s own goal would only have happened about 5% of the time! So you could say we didn’t get the luck on a few issues…

3-0 was an incredibly harsh scoreline. Did you neggers actually watch the match? I did. We edged the first half and they scored due to a mistake from Krul. Second was a ridiculous own goal and third was a screamer late in the game.

Yeah, some of our players looked tired but only really when the 2nd goal went in. I think they didn’t believe that they had the energy (or the luck!) that they could get at least 2 goals late in the game…

• 12 toonbrother // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM

@valle // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    i wouldnt waste my breath if i were you.

• 13 toonbrother // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:44 AM

@valle // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    i wouldnt waste my breath if i were you. He is too thick to get it

• 14 Roger // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Yes, it was a very poor game from our side, but the ref,
    MrWebb was terrible.
    But we are a team for the middlefield of the league and
    we cannot win every game, that`s it.
    I think we must see on the upcoming game against
    Manu. The manager of Manu had a great problem,
    if he lost against us, he`s job is in danger.
    So Manu will fight for him and the life?s of all players.
    We had a great chance to fight back and to win in
    Manchester.
    Howay the lads. Fight for Newcastle.

• 15 Hatem's better than Messi // Dec 5, 2013 at 8:55 AM

toonbrother

Just ignore him – If he stuck to the football and his own opinions.

If I’m a “Negger” great.
    If we were top of the league by ten points.
    I’d still find fault with something.
    This is true.
    I’m never 100% happy because we can always be better.
    I think this is being a true fan.

Turning up and accepting mediocrity and never criticising may look like 100% unwavering support but is that really good support?

As far as I’m concerned If your’e not a negger you are delusional.

• 16 fatash // Dec 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM

“It Was All The Referee’s Fault”

Of course it was I have just looked it up in my copy of his book of excuses and it states quite clearly Pardew is never at fault.

Roll on Saturday

• 17 TheToonKing // Dec 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

We played crap , but I do agree with Pardew. We should have gotten 2 penalties. 3-0 was very flattering to them.

• 18 ballerfan2 // Dec 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Welcome back neggers. We missed you – not a lot.

• 19 Shadow_Shearer // Dec 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

It was ALL the referees fault?? You played the same tactics five games in a row, and the players underperformed. I agree the ref didn’t help and it was a bad night at the office, but be a man and admit your faults. At least then people will point out the penalty decisions for u

• 20 matias // Dec 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I don`t think Pardew said it was all referees fault. Ed made that headline. Even if he was, he was pressed with those question about Webb in the postmatch interview.

previous post: Swansea 3 Newcastle 0 – All The Goals – Video