This Youngster Has A Big Future With Us

We suppose Alan Pardew could spring a surprise for tomorrow’s game at Old Trafford, and it seems obvious that 20 year-old Massadio Haidara must be impressive in training, and the very fact he was one the bench on Wednesday night and then introduced early in the second half, indicates that Alan Pardew thinks a lot of this 20 year-old French youngster.

massadio haidara man city lkeague cup

Massadio Haidara – in action in League Cup against Man City

Of course the French U21 International  been out with injuries most of the season, and that allowed local lad Paul Dummett to get his chance in the side at left-back, and Paul took it, and it seems Newcastle are now really well off at left back.

We have Davide Santon, Massadio and Paul who can play there, and Yanga-Mbiwa is more than a competent left back too.

Alan Pardew talked about Massadio today in the local press:

“Haidara has been out a long time with injuries.” “He has been unlucky since he has been here.” “He gives us a natural left foot and we think he has a big future with us.”

“I thought he would give us a bit of energy.” “It was good for him and good for us that he got that period.”

And it could be that if a big bid comes in for Davide Santon this summer, Newcastle may be inclined to sell, although before then we’ll need to see just how fast Massadio progresses.

But if he manages to get the starting left back position by the end of the season, we would expect the 22 year-old Italian International not to like being on the bench too much at Newcastle.

We’ll see what happens tomorrow, but it could be that Massadio Haidara will get the start at Old Trafford,.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Our Toon

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Repost!!

HD

Don’t know what Everton game you were watching but Jamie Carragher slammed MYM for his performance at HT for that game. I think the 2nd or 3rd goal in particular…everton launch it long and MYM backs off Lukaku, MYM then runs away from him rather than close him down!! Howay man lets not distort facts!!

TS

Colo is better positionally, on the ball and has more pace than Willo. Willo is better in the air….in the air and in the air

• Our Toon

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Tommy

The reason we don’t score enough or even pull teams apart is down to the manager who prefers grafters to actual attacking quality. Most fans have changed their mentality and believe pards is right to play hard working wingers/makeshift winger instead of someone who can gives us an attacking edge (probably our best attacking player HBA) creative geniuses like HBA and Marv are over looked so we can play Sissoko (scored a cracker but from a central position on the pitch) and a washed up ST in Shola who has performed well of late but like most had a shocker on Wednesday (if that had been HBA the whole blog would be on meltdown about HBA’s inconsistent performances) We curb our attacking intentions and most on here believe pards is right to do so, these are the same people who then complain when we try to defend leads…we are the most defensive minded team in the league with regards to our set up and yet we still concede goals for fun!! Our first aim is to nullify opponents irrelevant of how much impact it has on us as an attacking entity!!

But hey lets persist with Sissoko on the right, Shola up top and Willo at the back (the latter 2 who wouldn’t get into any other team in PL)

• 70TWO

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

NUFC have a long way to go to catch up with Ajax but would be worth taking a few notes.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Our Toon

I don’t why you are surprised.

We are defensive minded and we invite team and pressure, that will result in chances created against us and goals will eventually be scored.

Another reason why we have such a poor record of not coming back from goal/s down.

Also if we concede early there is always a danger of it becoming a rout.

• 70TWO

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Our Toon

Agree with your last comment and feel like I have to repeat myself (I guess this is a platform for spleen venting more than anything else). The Norwich game was a perfect opportunity to play HBA from the start, Shola was afforded all the room in the world and even he looked good.

• Our Toon

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM

HD

I’m not surprised by pards tactics was explaining to Tommy why we are non starter as an attacking force. I am surprised at fans backing the likes of Willo and Shola who wouldn’t get into any other PL team starting 11.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 2m
    #nufc Pardew: “Shola said in the dressing room. Swansea is done now and we move on. That’s what you want to here.”

• 70TWO

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

To use boxing parlance, we punch from the back foot and leave ourselves exposed on the front foot.

• TheGallowgateEnd

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Hi there mates, I wonder if you could provide me with some information.

It’s been 4 years since I’ve been to Newcastle and at the time we were playing in the Championship so I didn’t have any problems to buy a ticket for a midweek game against Crystal Palace at St James’ Park.

This next year though, I’ll be flying 5,900 miles to the Toon and I intend to attend the home game against ManCity and an away game against WHU – both in January. How easy is it to get the ticket? I’ve had a look at the offical website and some home games seem to be quite easy to buy – although in some I think I’ve got to have some kind of membership whatsoever.

With regards to away games, I’m truly lost about how I can get it. Do I have to buy it online or what? I assume the tickets sell out fast as well…

Well, that’s it… Hope you can give me some insight. Howay!

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Well said 70two

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:43 AM

TheGallowgateEnd

I remember that game against Palace

We won 2-0

A shaun derry OG and a goal by Certain Mr Nile Ranger his first.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

our toon

Yes willo is better in the air, our only CB who seems good enough in the air to deal with long balls and set plays.

Thats why i’d have colo or mbiwa, and i prefer mbiwa in recent weeks as his pace is very helpful.

• Our Toon

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

70two

Spot on my friend couldn’t have put it better myself

Hatem786

The fact Krul won the award just goes to show how fragile we were/are defensively, maybe Willo and MYM are the world beaters some think they are

• martoon

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

hatem786 @9 – And then the monthly award curse strikes – we get hammered in the next game and Krul has a shocker 😉

• 70TWO

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Referring to style of play, in the season we finished 5th, when we played well it was a pressing, countering attacking tactic. We lost games when Pardew tried to change and when the opposition gave us the ball, because in possession we struggle to make many in roads.

Last season we were all over the shop due to injuries, different competitions and using more players than Pardew is comfortable handling. Which has been proven by this latest winning run, little in the way of change in personnel due to supposedly identifying a ‘winning’ formula.

Pardew does play a mixture of defending / counter attack and with pressing from the front on occasions. As reported with other teams this leads to tiredness and injuries and requires the use of a larger squad. Lets hope that in his 3rd year Pardew can make this transition, because next season it is likely there won’t be some of the players he relies on.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

martoon

Funny how that happens!!

Yeah, Krul badly at fault for the 1st, slightly at fault for the 3rd and desperately unlucky for the 2nd!

On another day he pushes the 1st and 3rd over the bar and the second doesn’t bounce of Debuchy!

Still…we’ll get good luck and bad luck over the course of the season.

Like I said, that wasn’t a 3-0 game. We could have won 2-1 (Remy + penalty) and it would not have been unfair.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Anyone else have problems typing on this blog sometimes? There are so many things running on her I think that it keeps missing out letters. I don’t have any problem in other apps on my laptop.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

TDs

I avoid the blog like a plague when on my phone, only use it via pc. It’s a nightmare for trying to open ads, take you to the app store, struggling to block things and slowing the lot down.

I appreciate we get this service for free, but i am not pleased with the amount of adverts over the past few months.

• JackButler

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I still think that Haidara is a better fit than Santon, he has a better final ball, is quicker and just about on par in defensive terms, but I guess we are lucky to the left back slot covered very well.

• JackButler

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

If you guys are using Google Chrome then try this Adbocker, it also works well with android.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

jack

whichever left back we prefer, it’s good to have two good, young ones, like you say who will push each other.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

jack

the manager of the month award is garbage anyway…never takes anything into account except wins.

If a manager of say palace or hull got 2/3 wins and a loss they wouldn’t get the award over man city manager who gets 4 wins….it’s a pointless award. Based 100% on results not the manager being clever, etc.

Good for the team though, we did play well and hung on when needed.

• asenski

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

as to pardew – this man has got luck to win vs spurs, chelsea , norwich and wba setting the team up only for about 45 min per every game
    and this is a shame imo

• JackButler

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Transfer Sage

100% agree mate

• Transfer Sage

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM

jack

That’s not meant to do pardew a disservice or to criticise the team, just the award is not based on anything other than how many of your games did you win, no account of the opposition and expectations of your own side.

• 70TWO

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The defense is a non argument, they all have their weaknesses and unfortunately Haidara will have to wait. What we can learn from the Swansea game is that the same player can’t be in two places at once.
    Stay with me, our most creative player can not also be a holding midfielder and although Cabaye says he likes the whole game to be in front of him, he also has an eye for goal. He should be the outlet, the Beardo in the side with two holding midfielders behind him and three forwards to link with.
    After many attempts and this is where I will probably shoot myself in the foot, I would like to see this side on Saturday.
    ———— Remy
    HBA – Cabaye – Gouffran
    ——– Tiote – Anita
    Santon – CD – CD – Debuchy
    The wingers can interchange and will have less defensive responsibility due to 2 holding midfielders. Any long balls can be played up to Remy to knock back to Cabaye and then move forward.

• JackButler

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

How anyone can say that we were unlucky against Swansea is beyond me. We were out played, out fought and out thought but a club that has to deal with the burden on EL football.

The so called Pen was never a pen, the head butt would not have changed anything and we created hardly anything with only the save from Remy’s header in the first half offering a serious test for Vorm

• hatem786

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

my team……………

krul

debu colo mapou santon

sissoko tiote cabaye remy

ben arfa

cisse

and we will WIN 1——2

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Pardew got Manager of the season our whole next season got cursed.

Now Pardew has got manager of the month. I don’t wanna say

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I don’t get the ads on my laptop these days and I’ve emailed Ed about the iPad and iPhone issues because it makes it unusable. But sometimes it seems that there are so many things trying to open on my laptop (and failing because of my pop-up blocker!) that every 1 in 4 letters that I type fail to appear! I know I’m a quick typist but it makes it very annoying…

• Transfer Sage

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM

jack

Thats what I think too….the game was lost when the shelvey ‘headbutt’ took play, we had already stopped chasing them around by then, just standing off and closing down in our half, which is fine when drawing/winning but when losing let them take the sting out of the game.

Remy’s header was the only chanced which you would say should have gotten a goal, all others with half chances at best. We created very little.

I’m not being pessimistic, just what I thought of the game. I think we need to find a way to keep the pressure on teams a lot more and create chances, we are really struggling to do this and always have done.

Most goals, obviously not all come from individual efforts, whether set pieces or long range strikes. Under pardew I dare bet that 80-85% of goals have been long shots, free kicks or mazy HBA runs. Thats the concern, we don’t play well enough as a team.

We seem to be more efficient as a team with shola in, as he brings others into play a bit more, but as history tells us his form/fitness can’t be relied on for a full season.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

JB

I really don’t think we were outplayed by Swansea in the way you say. Like many teams, we set up to counter attack as they are bound to get loads of possession. Trying to close them down constantly would just lead to our players getting knackered and then leave wide open space for them to go into later on in the game. We needed to sit back a little, make it difficult for them to pass into more attacking zones and then counter-attack once we have possession.

I said that I reckon the first pen appeal would have been successful about 40% of the time. His arm is out a little but I wouldn’t be happy if we conceded that, it’s not like one of Saylor’s efforts! It could have been given but we’ll get a pen soon that is like that and I’m sure the opposition will have had some refused like that against us too.

As well as the Remy shot that was saved, he also had a very good chance but headed over the bar and Ameobi had at least a couple. There were also some very good shots blocked and Obertan really screwed up a 3 on 2 break.

We were not outplayed at all when you consider the gameplans of the 2 teams. None of the goals should have happened as they all came from some pretty silly mistakes from our players.

As for the sending off, by the letter of the law he should have been off of course, and he is an idiot, but it’s not as if he hurt Debuchy and I’d rather not see players sent off for something so innocuous.

I think we deserved more out of this game than we did against Spurs. Difference was that Krul had a blinder against Spurs and a bit of a mare against Swansea.

• JackButler

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Transfer Sage

Against side’s like Swansea you cannot stand off them and simply allow them to play. We didn’t pressure the ball, we didn’t force the pay we simply allowed them the time and space on the ball and they hurt us as a result.

Shola has been excellent for us the past few weeks but it was obvious to just about everyone, apart from Pardew, that we needed to go to a five man midfield with Anita replacing Shola, thus allowing us to get a hold of the midfield as Cabaye and Tiote were being swamped and left chasing shadows.

As for bringing on Haidara and Mapou when we were in desperate need of a goal, well, i’m still scratching my head trying to figure that one out and Obertan should not be anywhere near the first team squad as he simply offers nothing

• Transfer Sage

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

jack and TDS

I think you can stand off teams like swansea, as you say TDS, then close down when in our half, let them have it their half and keep ours very compact. It worked two years ago when we won 2-0 with a cisse double. But then you rely on being able to keep them out for 90 mins as well as taking the limited amount of chances you create.

But i much prefer to see sides closed down, swansea like the ball but aren’t barcelona, they would make mistakes at the back if under a lot of consistent, high pressure. We have enough pace at the back with haidara and mbiwa to play that way as well.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Jack

I think if we were going to really press and attack Swansea have two up top would be ok.

As we sat off I think having 5 in midfield to break them up would have made more sense.

• JackButler

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

TDS

We were second best to everything and don’t forget that Swansea have been struggling in the league where as we are the form side. Also they have played more games due to their European exploits and yet we were the side that looked tired and jaded.

they were the side that created the chances while we set up to simply contain them which is fine if you play a high intensity game, close down the play, pressure them into playing the ball quicker by not allowing them any time and space on the ball. But thats not what we did, we simply sat back and invited them onto us.

the second half we tried to play a higher line which is suicidal against a side with genuine pace and with our centre half’s that have turning circles of oil tankers.

Pardew was out thought by Laudrup and we were out played as a result. The result and score line was fair as we didn’t deserve anything from the game

• asenski

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Himanshu if that curse our month it will mean pardew will be a half way gone because i don’t see what else can happen with 4 consecutive setbacks