The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Youngster Has A Big Future With Us

10:11 am, Friday, December 6th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 138 Comments

We suppose Alan Pardew could spring a surprise for tomorrow’s game at Old Trafford, and it seems obvious that 20 year-old Massadio Haidara must be impressive in training, and the very fact he was one the bench on Wednesday night and then introduced early in the second half, indicates that Alan Pardew thinks a lot of this 20 year-old French youngster.

massadio haidara man city lkeague cup

Massadio Haidara – in action in League Cup against Man City

Of course the French U21 International  been out with injuries most of the season, and that allowed local lad Paul Dummett to get his chance in the side at left-back, and Paul took it, and it seems Newcastle are now really well off at left back.

We have Davide Santon, Massadio and Paul who can play there, and Yanga-Mbiwa is more than a competent left back too.

Alan Pardew talked about Massadio today in the local press:

“Haidara has been out a long time with injuries.” “He has been unlucky since he has been here.” “He gives us a natural left foot and we think he has a big future with us.”

“I thought he would give us a bit of energy.” “It was good for him and good for us that he got that period.”

And it could be that if a big bid comes in for Davide Santon this summer, Newcastle may be inclined to sell, although before then we’ll need to see just how fast Massadio progresses.

But if he manages to get the starting left back position by the end of the season, we would expect the 22 year-old Italian International not to like being on the bench too much at Newcastle.

We’ll see what happens tomorrow, but it could be that Massadio Haidara will get the start at Old Trafford,.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Davide Santon · Massadio Haidara · Paul Dummett · Premier League

138 responses so far ↓

• 1 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Repost!!

HD

Don’t know what Everton game you were watching but Jamie Carragher slammed MYM for his performance at HT for that game. I think the 2nd or 3rd goal in particular…everton launch it long and MYM backs off Lukaku, MYM then runs away from him rather than close him down!! Howay man lets not distort facts!!

TS

Colo is better positionally, on the ball and has more pace than Willo. Willo is better in the air….in the air and in the air

• 2 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Tommy

The reason we don’t score enough or even pull teams apart is down to the manager who prefers grafters to actual attacking quality. Most fans have changed their mentality and believe pards is right to play hard working wingers/makeshift winger instead of someone who can gives us an attacking edge (probably our best attacking player HBA) creative geniuses like HBA and Marv are over looked so we can play Sissoko (scored a cracker but from a central position on the pitch) and a washed up ST in Shola who has performed well of late but like most had a shocker on Wednesday (if that had been HBA the whole blog would be on meltdown about HBA’s inconsistent performances) We curb our attacking intentions and most on here believe pards is right to do so, these are the same people who then complain when we try to defend leads…we are the most defensive minded team in the league with regards to our set up and yet we still concede goals for fun!! Our first aim is to nullify opponents irrelevant of how much impact it has on us as an attacking entity!!

But hey lets persist with Sissoko on the right, Shola up top and Willo at the back (the latter 2 who wouldn’t get into any other team in PL)

• 3 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

NUFC have a long way to go to catch up with Ajax but would be worth taking a few notes.

• 4 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Our Toon

I don’t why you are surprised.

We are defensive minded and we invite team and pressure, that will result in chances created against us and goals will eventually be scored.

Another reason why we have such a poor record of not coming back from goal/s down.

Also if we concede early there is always a danger of it becoming a rout.

• 5 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Our Toon

Agree with your last comment and feel like I have to repeat myself (I guess this is a platform for spleen venting more than anything else). The Norwich game was a perfect opportunity to play HBA from the start, Shola was afforded all the room in the world and even he looked good.

• 6 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM

HD

I’m not surprised by pards tactics was explaining to Tommy why we are non starter as an attacking force. I am surprised at fans backing the likes of Willo and Shola who wouldn’t get into any other PL team starting 11.

• 7 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 2m
    #nufc Pardew: “Shola said in the dressing room. Swansea is done now and we move on. That’s what you want to here.”

• 8 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

To use boxing parlance, we punch from the back foot and leave ourselves exposed on the front foot.

• 9 hatem786 // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM

• 10 TheGallowgateEnd // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Hi there mates, I wonder if you could provide me with some information.

It’s been 4 years since I’ve been to Newcastle and at the time we were playing in the Championship so I didn’t have any problems to buy a ticket for a midweek game against Crystal Palace at St James’ Park.

This next year though, I’ll be flying 5,900 miles to the Toon and I intend to attend the home game against ManCity and an away game against WHU – both in January. How easy is it to get the ticket? I’ve had a look at the offical website and some home games seem to be quite easy to buy – although in some I think I’ve got to have some kind of membership whatsoever.

With regards to away games, I’m truly lost about how I can get it. Do I have to buy it online or what? I assume the tickets sell out fast as well…

Well, that’s it… Hope you can give me some insight. Howay!

• 11 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Well said 70two

• 12 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:43 AM

TheGallowgateEnd

I remember that game against Palace

We won 2-0

A shaun derry OG and a goal by Certain Mr Nile Ranger his first.

• 13 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

our toon

Yes willo is better in the air, our only CB who seems good enough in the air to deal with long balls and set plays.

Thats why i’d have colo or mbiwa, and i prefer mbiwa in recent weeks as his pace is very helpful.

• 14 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

70two

Spot on my friend couldn’t have put it better myself

Hatem786

The fact Krul won the award just goes to show how fragile we were/are defensively, maybe Willo and MYM are the world beaters some think they are

• 15 martoon // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

hatem786 @9 – And then the monthly award curse strikes – we get hammered in the next game and Krul has a shocker ;)

• 16 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Referring to style of play, in the season we finished 5th, when we played well it was a pressing, countering attacking tactic. We lost games when Pardew tried to change and when the opposition gave us the ball, because in possession we struggle to make many in roads.

Last season we were all over the shop due to injuries, different competitions and using more players than Pardew is comfortable handling. Which has been proven by this latest winning run, little in the way of change in personnel due to supposedly identifying a ‘winning’ formula.

Pardew does play a mixture of defending / counter attack and with pressing from the front on occasions. As reported with other teams this leads to tiredness and injuries and requires the use of a larger squad. Lets hope that in his 3rd year Pardew can make this transition, because next season it is likely there won’t be some of the players he relies on.

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

martoon

Funny how that happens!!

Yeah, Krul badly at fault for the 1st, slightly at fault for the 3rd and desperately unlucky for the 2nd!

On another day he pushes the 1st and 3rd over the bar and the second doesn’t bounce of Debuchy!

Still…we’ll get good luck and bad luck over the course of the season.

Like I said, that wasn’t a 3-0 game. We could have won 2-1 (Remy + penalty) and it would not have been unfair.

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Anyone else have problems typing on this blog sometimes? There are so many things running on her I think that it keeps missing out letters. I don’t have any problem in other apps on my laptop.

• 19 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

TDs

I avoid the blog like a plague when on my phone, only use it via pc. It’s a nightmare for trying to open ads, take you to the app store, struggling to block things and slowing the lot down.

I appreciate we get this service for free, but i am not pleased with the amount of adverts over the past few months.

• 20 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I still think that Haidara is a better fit than Santon, he has a better final ball, is quicker and just about on par in defensive terms, but I guess we are lucky to the left back slot covered very well.

• 21 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

If you guys are using Google Chrome then try this Adbocker, it also works well with android.

• 22 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

jack

whichever left back we prefer, it’s good to have two good, young ones, like you say who will push each other.

• 23 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Forgot to add the link :D

• 24 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

• 25 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

jack

the manager of the month award is garbage anyway…never takes anything into account except wins.

If a manager of say palace or hull got 2/3 wins and a loss they wouldn’t get the award over man city manager who gets 4 wins….it’s a pointless award. Based 100% on results not the manager being clever, etc.

Good for the team though, we did play well and hung on when needed.

• 26 asenski // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

as to pardew – this man has got luck to win vs spurs, chelsea , norwich and wba setting the team up only for about 45 min per every game
    and this is a shame imo

• 27 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Transfer Sage

100% agree mate

• 28 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM

jack

That’s not meant to do pardew a disservice or to criticise the team, just the award is not based on anything other than how many of your games did you win, no account of the opposition and expectations of your own side.

• 29 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The defense is a non argument, they all have their weaknesses and unfortunately Haidara will have to wait. What we can learn from the Swansea game is that the same player can’t be in two places at once.
    Stay with me, our most creative player can not also be a holding midfielder and although Cabaye says he likes the whole game to be in front of him, he also has an eye for goal. He should be the outlet, the Beardo in the side with two holding midfielders behind him and three forwards to link with.
    After many attempts and this is where I will probably shoot myself in the foot, I would like to see this side on Saturday.
    ———— Remy
    HBA – Cabaye – Gouffran
    ——– Tiote – Anita
    Santon – CD – CD – Debuchy
    The wingers can interchange and will have less defensive responsibility due to 2 holding midfielders. Any long balls can be played up to Remy to knock back to Cabaye and then move forward.

• 30 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

How anyone can say that we were unlucky against Swansea is beyond me. We were out played, out fought and out thought but a club that has to deal with the burden on EL football.

The so called Pen was never a pen, the head butt would not have changed anything and we created hardly anything with only the save from Remy’s header in the first half offering a serious test for Vorm

• 31 hatem786 // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

my team……………

krul

debu colo mapou santon

sissoko tiote cabaye remy

ben arfa

cisse

and we will WIN 1——2

• 32 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Pardew got Manager of the season our whole next season got cursed.

Now Pardew has got manager of the month. I don’t wanna say

• 33 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I don’t get the ads on my laptop these days and I’ve emailed Ed about the iPad and iPhone issues because it makes it unusable. But sometimes it seems that there are so many things trying to open on my laptop (and failing because of my pop-up blocker!) that every 1 in 4 letters that I type fail to appear! I know I’m a quick typist but it makes it very annoying…

• 34 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM

jack

Thats what I think too….the game was lost when the shelvey ‘headbutt’ took play, we had already stopped chasing them around by then, just standing off and closing down in our half, which is fine when drawing/winning but when losing let them take the sting out of the game.

Remy’s header was the only chanced which you would say should have gotten a goal, all others with half chances at best. We created very little.

I’m not being pessimistic, just what I thought of the game. I think we need to find a way to keep the pressure on teams a lot more and create chances, we are really struggling to do this and always have done.

Most goals, obviously not all come from individual efforts, whether set pieces or long range strikes. Under pardew I dare bet that 80-85% of goals have been long shots, free kicks or mazy HBA runs. Thats the concern, we don’t play well enough as a team.

We seem to be more efficient as a team with shola in, as he brings others into play a bit more, but as history tells us his form/fitness can’t be relied on for a full season.

• 35 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

JB

I really don’t think we were outplayed by Swansea in the way you say. Like many teams, we set up to counter attack as they are bound to get loads of possession. Trying to close them down constantly would just lead to our players getting knackered and then leave wide open space for them to go into later on in the game. We needed to sit back a little, make it difficult for them to pass into more attacking zones and then counter-attack once we have possession.

I said that I reckon the first pen appeal would have been successful about 40% of the time. His arm is out a little but I wouldn’t be happy if we conceded that, it’s not like one of Saylor’s efforts! It could have been given but we’ll get a pen soon that is like that and I’m sure the opposition will have had some refused like that against us too.

As well as the Remy shot that was saved, he also had a very good chance but headed over the bar and Ameobi had at least a couple. There were also some very good shots blocked and Obertan really screwed up a 3 on 2 break.

We were not outplayed at all when you consider the gameplans of the 2 teams. None of the goals should have happened as they all came from some pretty silly mistakes from our players.

As for the sending off, by the letter of the law he should have been off of course, and he is an idiot, but it’s not as if he hurt Debuchy and I’d rather not see players sent off for something so innocuous.

I think we deserved more out of this game than we did against Spurs. Difference was that Krul had a blinder against Spurs and a bit of a mare against Swansea.

• 36 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Transfer Sage

Against side’s like Swansea you cannot stand off them and simply allow them to play. We didn’t pressure the ball, we didn’t force the pay we simply allowed them the time and space on the ball and they hurt us as a result.

Shola has been excellent for us the past few weeks but it was obvious to just about everyone, apart from Pardew, that we needed to go to a five man midfield with Anita replacing Shola, thus allowing us to get a hold of the midfield as Cabaye and Tiote were being swamped and left chasing shadows.

As for bringing on Haidara and Mapou when we were in desperate need of a goal, well, i’m still scratching my head trying to figure that one out and Obertan should not be anywhere near the first team squad as he simply offers nothing

• 37 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

jack and TDS

I think you can stand off teams like swansea, as you say TDS, then close down when in our half, let them have it their half and keep ours very compact. It worked two years ago when we won 2-0 with a cisse double. But then you rely on being able to keep them out for 90 mins as well as taking the limited amount of chances you create.

But i much prefer to see sides closed down, swansea like the ball but aren’t barcelona, they would make mistakes at the back if under a lot of consistent, high pressure. We have enough pace at the back with haidara and mbiwa to play that way as well.

• 38 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Jack

I think if we were going to really press and attack Swansea have two up top would be ok.

As we sat off I think having 5 in midfield to break them up would have made more sense.

• 39 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

TDS

We were second best to everything and don’t forget that Swansea have been struggling in the league where as we are the form side. Also they have played more games due to their European exploits and yet we were the side that looked tired and jaded.

they were the side that created the chances while we set up to simply contain them which is fine if you play a high intensity game, close down the play, pressure them into playing the ball quicker by not allowing them any time and space on the ball. But thats not what we did, we simply sat back and invited them onto us.

the second half we tried to play a higher line which is suicidal against a side with genuine pace and with our centre half’s that have turning circles of oil tankers.

Pardew was out thought by Laudrup and we were out played as a result. The result and score line was fair as we didn’t deserve anything from the game

• 40 asenski // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Himanshu if that curse our month it will mean pardew will be a half way gone because i don’t see what else can happen with 4 consecutive setbacks

• 41 check the toastie // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

My prediction is we dont win another game for two months and Pardew will get sacked.

Anita Marv and Ben Arfa would look like world beaters if they were managed by Laudrup, he has Routledge, Dyer and other cack players believing in themselves much the same as Rodgers and Martinez do. Also Pochettino, Pardew is the most inept manager in the league and is wasting our squad in terms of the brand of football he tries to serve up.

Tiote should be dropped, he offers very very little. Our centre midfield never get in front of the ball, its excrutiating to watch at times.

• 42 Ancientcoptic // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I wonder if Joe Allen would be available if Cabaye ended up leaving at the end of the season.

It could be an interesting idea to replace our quarter-back hoof ball player, with a player that prefers to keep things very tight with shorter passing.

If Cabaye does leave, we really do have to cut this hoof ball nonsense out, not only is it completely anti-football, but we would lose the only player that is capable of the occasional long ball.

An up and running Joe Allen does not give the ball away… could be available for a reasonable fee, young and brings an approach we currently lack.

I think Joe Allen and Anita could be good together, both very tidy players… has to beat this tackle and thump style currently on display. There is no way Tiote (not composed enough) could play with Allen, which would mean Anita would have to come in… but it is an idea.

• 43 Ciaran // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

This is arguably our best chance of getting a result against Man U at Old Trafford, but I won’t be up in arms if we don’t get it. After all, it has been 40 years, what’s 1 more?

With better options we would have more ability to rotate the squad properly instead of playing a form of Russian roulette, or picking and choosing which games to go for. Pardew is not to blame here, while he may suffer from tactical blindness at times, he is by and large an OK manager.

Ashley on the other hand…

• 44 Ciaran // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Ancient

Allen is Rodgers’ pet. Not a chance he’s letting him go for less than silly money.

• 45 Jonny // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Unleash ben arfa against united playing behind remy. Swap mbiwa for Williamson as it will be Hernandez and kagawa up top for them, who are small and quick. Keep the other 9 as it is. Still think we will lose 3-0 unfortunately.

• 46 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

ancient

1. allen cost them 15mil and isn’t even worth 5, he’s garbage, sideways and backwards passing only.

2. cabaye doesn’t play hoofball for france, nothing to do with him. Different between an aimless punt and a well directed long ball.

• 47 Belfast // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

We’ll probably go there and play 10 men behind the ball and hope we can hold out for a draw or nick a 1-0 win.

Think that’ll play right into Man Utds hands to be honest.
    I’d rather we just had a go.

We aren’t expected to win, so we might as well have a go.

• 48 AndyNUFC // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

JackButler – the gouffran push wasn’t or the handball wasn’t a pen?

The handball came first and at 1-0 down, a penalty chance to level it could have been the difference between 0 or 1 point.

• 49 martoon // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

TDSarf – I agree with your match assessment but not the first penalty appeal. The defender’s arm was away from his body but the key fact is it stopped the ball going in the net which for me is a stonewall penalty

• 50 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

AndyNUFC – If either were given against us then we’d all be screaming the place down. What would your reaction be if WE conceded pen’s like that???

People are latching onto what they believe should have been penalties but the bigger picture is the fact that we were very poor for most of the game. Our tactics and formation were both wrong and we simply didn’t deserve anything from the game

• 51 Transfer Sage // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

tomorrow i’d like to see us go with the same side that started the last game but mbiwa in for colo to deal with the pace they have, as well as haidara for santon.

If we had a laudrup/pochettino style manager i’d like to see ben arfa, anita and marv involved in some capacity but under pardew it’s pointless, not because he is a terrible manager, just his style doesn’t suit them.

• 52 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Sage

It’s a shame as I don’t think Pardew trusts the like’s of HBA, Marveuax or even Anita to a certain extent.

It would be interesting to see what other managers would do if they had our squad at their disposal as having that amount of talent and seeing it not being used in one capacity or another is criminal, especially when the likes of Obertan can get into the squad and comes off the bench

• 53 Ancientcoptic // Dec 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Transfer Sage

The fact Allen would be cheap is one of the reasons I thought it could be a potential deal for us. He hasn’t been great for Liverpool, but I don’t think it would take much to get him back up to his Swansea levels… some sections of the Liverpool support still think their club should be dominating English and European football, which can lead to some players not performing for them under the pressure.

Cabaye does play less hoof-ball for France, but, if he is leaving at the end of the season, there is nothing we can do about switching his style for the following season as he won’t be with us.

Anyways, it was just an idea. We do need to start thinking about a replacement for Cabaye, as it looks like he is going.

• 54 catchy in norway // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

last time we finished fifth it was Chelsea and Liverpool that helped us
    if we do it this time , it will be Man U and spurs

we have a shit manager that would rather sit back and defend than use our great team and go for wins,

Swansea had 744 passes 91% complete , they had the best forwards out, thus is the best time to play them, as it will be to play Man U , but he will pay the name Man U far to much respect , there team is the worst they have had in 20 years, and without rvp and rodny there team is not even a mid table team,

I truly dislike pardew , we get pouts because of individual skills not team play ,

why the hell did obertan get on the pitch , he is no where near a prem std player not even a championship player

please F off pardew

• 55 asenski // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

catchy
    all agree mate , pardew is great example of lowering expectations due to his own limit managerial potential
    i would also welcome matinez/ pochetino/laudrup or even jol ahead of pardew
    not to mention also what brand of footbal we would be able to play under chris hughton
    when when will this ridiculous manager pardew leave our club

• 56 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I just think Pardew doesn’t know how to use technical players effectively and the only player in the team that fits that profile at the minute is Cabaye .

All Pardew knows is strong physical players in a flat
    4-4-2 with no triangles, pass and move or interchanging between our players . I lost count of how many times Swansea just passed around our midfield in triangles .

For me Pardew can get a team using 4-4-2 to do relatively well in the Premier league, but if we concede first or our plan A is not working he is useless .

I see the likes of Obertan getting on the bench ahead of Marveaux and that tells me everything I need to know about Pardew . Imagine how well Marveaux, Anita & HBA would do in a Swansea team ? .

I would say our most technically gifted team (Although not our best) would be :

——————-Cabaye—————Anita—————-

——-HBA—————Marveaux————Sissoko—-

——————————-Remy—————————-

I wonder how they would have faired against Swansea or a team that likes to keep possession ? .

• 57 JAMSHA // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM

good to see krul n.pardew win some globe … atleast we can say we our player an manager got the award wich the scums can only dream off

• 58 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

martoon

With all due respect, it has absolutely bugger all to do with what is a penalty for you, the only thing that matters are the rules. As far as I know, it doesn’t matter one jot whether the ball is a shot on target or pumped in completely the opposite direction. The issue is whether the arm is in an unnatural place or the defender has moved the arm towards the ball. In that instance, his right arm was flailing but his left arm was actually quite close to his body. No, it wasn’t directly at his side, but neither did he move it out to stop the ball. Reverse the situation and imagine if we had given a pen away that way. Would you be happy? I think it gets given about 40% of the time. I’m not saying it wasn’t a pen, because I think it just about was, I’m just saying that I don’t think they get given all of the time because it was borderline.

• 59 ToonDarnSarf // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Really boring reading suggestions of other managers than Pardew, don’t you guys get sick of it?

Pardew is our manager, there is no chance he’s being sacked while we’re doing well, so why don’t you just change the record and concentrate on what is really happening?

If we’re struggling like last season or Pardew actually leaves the club, then speculate all you like!

• 60 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Big Pappa Cissé
    Apparently Marveaux was terrible on Monday in the Resv. match.

• 61 asenski // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM

BPC

as far as i see pardew does not know how to install a progressive football. I remember that even when we finished 5th we stayed deep in our box, there was no great movement from the players and overall he has not upgraded our style nevertherless we got players who are fast , clever and capable of playing modern european football

i have no doubt he will never adapt the team’s performers and plan to any different team we play

• 62 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I want to see a Keegan-esk, attacking, love it if we beat ‘em performance. Its a 442 in an ‘entertaining’ way with Cabaye in the Beardo role.
    ———— Remy
    HBA – Cabaye – Gouffran
    ——– Tiote – Anita
    Santon – CD – CD – Debuchy

• 63 asenski // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

TDS
    what do you call team doing well – wins or the football being played because as we all know these two directions are quite different at NUFC. I do not think we play eny kind of modern football and wins we had last month ..they just did not prove that

• 64 AMEOBI // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

TheGallowgateEnd

Regarding home ticket against man city you’d be fine signing up on nufc official site to buy.

On the away games you’d need let them know now, try magpiemover and toontravel on the away games they sort your tickets out. I’ve moved from Newcastle to Durham but luckily there’s the club here that do the Newcastle games home and away.

Best of luck on the ticket for West Ham!

• 65 martoon // Dec 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

ToonDarnSarf – Referees are human and despite the rules it must make a difference to their decision making if the hand ball blocks a goal but I agree sometimes you get them and sometimes you don’t.
    Amazing how after 1 defeat Catchy & Check suddenly appear ;)

• 66 Rake // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Surprised how many of you are putting Santon in your team selections. I think he could do with being dropped as he’s not offering enough going forward and defensively I feel uneasy if someone gets one on one with him.
    Personally I would like to see Hiadara get a couple of games from what I’v seen he seems to link better with the winger when going forward. Santon cutting in all the time and passing it sideways to Tiote or Cabaye is getting a bit tiring.

• 67 cyprus // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

TDS,
    We were outplayed mate, did you watch the game? We had chances to win it but to be fair, they deserved all three points. At times they disappeared the ball, it was amazing to watch. We seemed tired, they didn’t. I’m not in the negative or positive school, that was a spanking, score and all.

• 68 Rotonda heights // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

It’s obvious AP will go to OT and play for a draw. It’s in his DNA. Always rather not lose than go out to win. No wonder we hardly ever score more than 2 goals max.

Pardew wouldn’t be the worst if he could just lose this awful cloying and stifling fear of his and take a chance for once. We may get a few results playing his way but Krul can’t do it every game as was proved v Swansea.

• 69 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I see people are talking about dropping Shola and putting Cisse or HBA just behind Remy.
    Take Wed night when Shola went off Remy looked a shadow of the player he has been – looked lost without the big man up front with him.
    That’s where we need to strengthen – upfront with someone big,strong to knock the ball down lay off for Remy’s run.

It’s not always the best team on paper that is the best team on the pitch!

• 70 Rotonda heights // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Charlie

That’s a bit dark agey just hoping for hopeful flick-ons from a big lad. All the top teams keep it on the deck and have lots of movement off the ball and with some method.

Most of Lukaku’s goals are on the deck. Just because he’s big doesn’t automatically mean they put it in the air.

• 71 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Pardew would rather lose 1-0 than win 5-4

• 72 Stewin' Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM

@Rake

Agree, Santon is looking a liability defensively and does not provide enough going forward to justify it. I would start easing Haidara into the lineup, don’t throw him in the deep end but start giving him matches.

Another note: ANITA. He is an absolutely fantastic player in my opinion. Rarely loses possession, is quick and tidy with the ball, and is an incredibly hard worker. I think he should be playing. However, who to sit?? Sissoko? Tiote? Put him at LB maybe??

As for Shola, Pardew is going to keep him up there because he fits into his style of football, the long heave up the field and hopefully knock it down. Cisse cannot do that in the slightest, and he is truly on the wrong team due to Pardew’s tactics. However, I would like to see Remy alone up top and play more like this:

______________Krul____________________
    Debuchy ____Colo_____ YMB ______Haidara
    ________Sissoko/Anita___Tiote___________
    HBA___________Cabaye__________Goofy
    ________________Remy_________________

• 73 Rotonda heights // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM

TDS

Just because we are stuck with Pardew doesn’t mean we have to like it. The tragedy is Ashley knows zilch about football and while we keep bringing in good modern, technical progressive players we will never see the best of them under Pardew.

• 74 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Rotondo
    I don’t mean punt it up long for knock downs, hold up.
    For Remy we need another strong mobile player to play alongside….
    I know I am asking for a lot…..
    Something like ‘Sir’ Les and the Shearer partnership.
    Both strong skilful good on the ball and in the air.
    Then you can play HBA and Goufran

• 75 Rotonda heights // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Rake

Totally agree just don’t see the fuss over santon at all.

• 76 Rotonda heights // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Charlie

Good point, well made.

• 77 roy // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

As Rooney isn’t playing and Coloccini is i’m going for 7-1 to Man Utd but will settle for 3-0 to them instead.

• 78 Stewin' Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM

But no matter what he does, Pardew better not play Willo! We need Yanga-Mbiwa’s pace against their men up top.

• 79 cyprus // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I see the fuss. He’s just a kid, he’s good.

• 80 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Rotondo
    Cheers
    Hows about a good look link/charm for tomorrow…
    The last time Everton beat Manure at Old Truffle, Peter Beardsley was in the team – now he’s part of our coaches/backroom staff.

Funny thing – I am more confident about tomorrow than I was for Wednesday

• 81 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

We need strikers to hold the ball up, not frigging to hold the ball up.

Very few of our MFs score anyways can’t afford non scoring strikers.

• 82 Crow59 // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Evening gentleman, as the World Cup draw is upon us what’s peoples predictions?? I had a long discussion with a friend who works for the mail and is currently writing his World Cup feature for best team odds and stats etc.
    I mentioned that I thought the Belgians could do well and think they may be a surprise package but with odds at 11/1 isn’t really worth a punt. He then told me he would be advising Italy who at 22/1 is a nice return, reasons being they’ve previously won it, have a mixture of class and experience and also performed well in the confed cup.
    So what’s people predictions?? Who do you think will win and if you had a free tenner who would you back??

• 83 Rotonda heights // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Martoon

What was the point of 4 very hard fought narrow wins
    if you go to a team who have played 3 games in 6 days and have a decimated strike force and then try and play offside against them with 2 really slow defenders, get really stretched in midfield and end up lumping it and have no Marveaux / Ben Arfa game changer type player on the bench.

Pardew’s endless bleating about the Europa and injuries got blown apart by a manager on a different planet and refreshingly different ideology to Pardew.

Chelsea played well 2nd half
    Spurs Krul played well
    Norwich we hung on
    WBA played ok
    Swansea Normal service resumed

A manager who does not go out to win games is not a good manager

• 84 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Charlie

Shola is probably the least mobile person up front, his hold up play on Wednesday was shocking, Swansea stood off him when the ball was in the air, his flick ons came to nothing!! Shola is the most inconsistent player at the club yet ppl have a dig at HBA.

• 85 Rotonda heights // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Nelson Mandela RIP

• 86 roy // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Who did this Mandela play for?

• 87 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Rotonda

Spot on mate, I’ve had the same assessment of performances. Swansea play good football but we allowed them to turn and get there heads up to pick passes which was shocking, very similar to what we did against Everton (another team that like to play on the deck) safe to say Pards is clueless when up against this style of football.

• 88 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

The way Pardew makes the whole team defend No wonder we are more tired than anyone else.

• 89 tequilamag // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Rotonda @81 what is the point of 4 wins? it`s not the point it`s 12 points.

• 90 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Our Toon
    Thats why he frustrates the life out of me.
    Can be unplayed one game
    Next game bloody useless.

But the last few games he has been the perfect foil for Remy.

Don’t know much about Gomis persons on here will know more about him than me.

BUT – is this why Pardew is after him to play upfront with Remy. Big strong mobile, skilful

To make the ‘Sir” Les Shearer partnership ???

• 91 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I do think some on here tend to praise Shola a tad too much to say the least – maybe because some seem to be on his case all the time. A counterreaction so to speak.

It is very annoying and unproductive, but I have learned to live with it – mostly because I have nothing against the lad. He seems to be a very nice person and a model prof. He is just not that good and very frustrating.

But the game against Man Utd it actually a game were I woulddn’t mind playing 4-4-2 with Shola upfront :-)

• 92 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Tequila

I think he means we didnt give it a real go against Swansea which was a disappointment, we should have made it 5 out of 5, especially considering the injuries they had. If that had been us last season and we lost most on here would blame injuries!! Laudrup came to win the game and Pards went to knick something if possible!!

• 93 tequilamag // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

OT all of the top teams have lost games to teams they should have beaten why should Newcastle be any different,? To just focus on one defeat when we have won the previous 4 including Chelsea and Spurs is ridiculous

• 94 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Our Toon
    From what you are saying, like myself I would have expected same ‘winning’ team at MU and changes for Swansea. Unfortunately Pardew went the cautious, one-game-at-a-time route and is prepared to cop out / change things tomorrow. Thankfully it is far more winnable and as long as some little used players are not to rusty, a few changes will be a breath of fresh air.

• 95 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Charlie

With the space and time he was given in the Norwich and WBA game trust me most players would play well. Don’t get me wrong I sang his praises because he did step up to the plate but Swansea showed that most decent teams will press him if balls on the deck and stand off when in the air because it will come to nothing!!

In his 2 very good games he didnt score and got 1 assist, did we praise him because he played better than the Shola we are used to seeing? or was he genuinely that good? Now ask yourself what HBA or another creative player would have done given that much time and space

• 96 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Isn’t that what constructive criticism is about?

To assess what went wrong so you can fix it?

Martoon said earlier that’s the beauty of 20-20 hindsight, but if Pardew had made changes and we had lost wouldn’t that just be a case of hindsight again?

…strange argument when you come to think of it ;-)

• 97 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Tequila

It’s not just the 1 defeat….its the manner of the loss, we conceded possession allowing Swansea to play to there strengths without pressing high up, they were there for the taking especially without Mich, Bony and then Vasquez get injured. They ended up with no recognised ST.

Substitutions were awful, should have changed to a 4-5-1 after 20mins because we were getting over run (moving Sissoko into middle, remy out wide) we gave up which in my eyes in criminal, if i’d have been playing and saw a CB, FB and Obertan come on in place of Anita and Sammy then my head would have dropped as well. Everyone loses games but its the manner in which games are lost which has biggest effect!!

Pardew has proven he cant organise a team if they play Sat, Midweek, Sat, purely because he feels he needs more time to prepare!!

• 98 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Just to add to #93, when playing the likes of Spurs and Chelsea Shola occupies the defenders. This creates space for others but he does little more than provide height going forwards and defending set pieces. Whilst favoured by Pardew this tactic is very limited and should not be preferred to a more creative option.

• 99 tequilamag // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

OT sorry but your conclusions make no sense. We had a bad day, it happens. More often than not we have had a gameplan that worked this season. Is Mourinho a bad manager beacause we turned them over ? of course not.

• 100 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Our Toon
    He is another that frustrates me
    HBA has got more skill and ability than ‘The rest put Together’
    BUT – he has got to use it better – when to pass and when to dribble/run with the ball.
    in other words Get his head up and know what is going on around him.

My perfect team if they could all play together:

Krul
    Debuchy, Colocinni, MBiwa, Haidara
    Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Anita, Sissoko
    Goufron and Remy

Could they play together as a team but as I said before best team on paper not always the best on the pitch
    and on the bench: Santon, Tiote, Cisse, Williamson, Elliot, Ameobi, Marvo, Dummett

• 101 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

jesperfuglsang
    Indeed Pardew will get it in the neck loosing with the same team or one with changes, because he did not react to what everyone else could see. He should have substituted Shola with Anita.

• 102 sweendog // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

tequilamag . agreed .. one bad defeat does not make a bad season .. I did see some positives .. I do think Cabaye was saving himself for this game . I reckon a draw .. as long as its 0-0 or we score first we’ll get some sort of result .. the tactics should be hit them hard in the first 20mins .. get an early goal then sh*t it for the rest of the match .. al la Spurs :-)

• 103 cyprus // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Guys,
    Given up on Cisse huh.

• 104 tequilamag // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Sweendog, Man U look poor in midfield compared to what we are used to seeing that is where we need to control the game, They still have good attacking options even without RVP and Rooney, Hernandez is a player I would love to see in a black and white shirt. It could go either way. Moyes has inherited a squad which needs a complete new midfield and a suspect defence which needs updating whether he gets the same leeway SAF had is early Man U days seems unlikely.

• 105 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Charlie
    Has Remy scored from a knock down by a striking foil?
    I think he scores most from passes threw the middle but I might be wrong. Cabaye needs to be further forward with another holding midfielder with Tiote.

• 106 DokToon // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM

teq @87…

is that the newfangled math youre trying to teach ? lol

• 107 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Tequila

It not just the one game and its certainly not “just a bad day” Chelsea were shocking against us but we played well to get the win and had some luck. Spurs we got very lucky, and they were poor in front of goal, we were decent in the first half and shocking in the 2nd half, this is a team that lost 7-0 to Citeh on there previous away trip and after that lost 5-1 to Liverpool. We were Sandwiched in between them 2 heavy away defeats and we were hanging on towards the end. WBA good first half poor in the 2nd half at times we were hanging on, if Sissoko hadn’t have scored a cracker we would have lost.

Heres a stat for you, this season every game we’ve conceded first we’ve lost!! Every game we’ve led at HT we end getting dominated in by the 2nd half. Sugar coat the 4 wins in a row the way you like but they were poor performances masked by wins!!

• 108 tequilamag // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Dok in his defence he only has 10 fingers,

• 109 catchy in norway // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM

jesper

god shola as some of them now call him,

imo , he has been his normal crap self, not running , putting his weight around with no real team play at all, he still gives way to many fouls away, needless fouls

i will also sy that these last 5 matches is total proof that so called fans like manxpie and TDS and a few others are not football fans there only interesseted in how the table looks,,

the football we play has no good foundations to build on, get a goal and defend is his only tactic, or should i say get a goal and hang on, we made swansea look like they were brazil

he made 3 subs, and not one of them was a sub that was going to change the game for us,
    owen even joked that obertan ran past the ball

• 110 catchy in norway // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

teq

i wouldnt have hernandez even if he was free, not a good player

• 111 tequilamag // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

OT call it as you see it but I don`t agree, performances this year have been a vast improvement on last season. We still have days when we are awful but that is no different to any other of the top teams.

• 112 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Charlie

HBA frustrates us all, probably frustrates himself and we know he frustrate his manager. The guy even at 20% offers more than Shola at 100%. Shola does link the play up well but he doesn’t look like scoring, for all his flick ons he only has 1 assist this season and 0 goals!! Shola does occupy a couple of players at times with his hold up play but HBA will always occupy 2 or 3 players. For the record Remy hasn’t scored from one of Shola’s flicks, no one has!! His assist was for Gouffs goal which Ruddy should have saved

• 113 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

…to continue from #103
    Playing two holding midfielders with Cabaye in front reduces his defensive responsibility and also that of the wingers, as there is always one of them in the middle when one is covering the flank. This would give HBA more opportunity to play his natural game without being derided for not contributing defensively.
    It was only once we were chasing the game at Swansea and Cabaye had to move further forward, that they were given space in front of our back four and inevitably were able to to prosper.

• 114 tequilamag // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Catchy where do I start 34 goals in 84 appearences in PL for Man U, not starts appearences many of those as a sub 54 goals in 125 appearences,

• 115 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Tequila

I didn’t say performances weren’t an improvement on last year, you are measuring us based that campaign then yes performances are better but they couldn’t get any worse could they? we got hammered by spurs this year got the win though, last year we played better against them and didn’t concede anywhere near the chances we did this time (Bale won them the game) I don’t see a vast improvement, I see a slight improvement because players have settled in. Players at his disposal though we should be playing much better, we should be looking to set the tempo of games not hit teams on the counter!! Hernandez is quality and would walk into any team in the PL, guaranteed 20 goals a season

• 116 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

70TWO
    Not sure – but he has had a presence up front in the last few games playing alongside Remy and has to watched/marked. Don’t know if you have noticed but in the game against Norwich Remy went up to Shola and shook his hand when substituted.

• 117 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

catchy in norway
    Are you prepared to loose a few in order to develop a more attractive style of football?

• 118 bills-son // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Catchy,

Fans who are only interested in where their team is in the table are not real football fans?

You not half come out with some corkers lad.

• 119 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

70two

Gouff, HBA and Cabaye all interchanging positions with Remy up top.

I would play Sissoko and Tiote in the middle, (Felliani will bully Anita all day long)!! MYM and Colo as CB’s (Hernandez movement is fantastic and will always pull onto Willo’s shoulder if played) Debuchy RB and Santon LB (Haidara did alright but positionally caught out on more than 1 occasion) Krul in Goal

Either way I’m not confident unless we attack them the teams that have got something for OT have had a go at them!!

• 120 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Charlie
    Shola had a blinding game against Norwich because they stood off and gave time and space to pick a pass. Anyone would have had a good game, which is the point, why not someone else.
    To be clear, I am not a huge knock down Shola guy, as he has his abilities which come in handy. But he is a 60 mins player and the squad could have been rotated to provide others with the opportunity to generate form.

• 121 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Our Toon
    Nice one, wasn’t sure about Anita myself but thought Sissoko was more versatile to come on as sub (CM/W/AM). Looking at stats from MUvEtn Felliani/Valencia are a danger and will need to be picked up on our left side, perhaps Gouffran will need to play there.
    Does the formation remind you of the Entertainers?

• 122 Mister Tuff // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Foghorn Leghorn,

Fans who disagree with your views and opinions are not real Toon fans.

You not half come out with some corkers (and porky pies).

• 123 Our Toon // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

70two

Haha it does a bit, defo need Gouff set up defensively on the left and Cabs on right when but when attacking all 3 should interchange!! We don’t even know if the likes of HBA will be fit. Will be interesting to see what changes are made though!!

• 124 bills-son // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Tuff. …. Yawwwwwwnnnnnn.

• 125 70TWO // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Our Toon
    Interchange – we are not a top 3 side yet! Think of the worst possible changes and then anything is a pleasant surprise!
    -outahere.

• 126 catchy in norway // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM

bilson

yes it makes perfect sense

with the team we have or more to the point the squad we have we should be wining games in style against some teams , yet like I said we can even make Norwich look like there like Real Madrid,

I can understand being careful v a team like Chelsea , but we play the same against every team , defend for our lives

fans like you equate that to good football and say look at the table man , why carnt you just be happy

muppets in my opinion

• 127 catchy in norway // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

as I know with that squad we would win more than we loose, we are a genuine top 6 squad,

• 128 catchy in norway // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM

tequila

I just don’t rate him,

• 129 catchy in norway // Dec 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM

shola

no goals in 39 appearances

just shocking, marv gets goals, HBA gets goals both pushes to one side

pardew is a total tool

• 130 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM

catchy

Shola has been one of our best players over the past few weeks so the criticism of him is totally unfair

• 131 89Norcal // Dec 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Catchy it’s been quite clear to everyone here except you and toastie that Shola is not being used for his goal scoring but his ball-winning ability.

So that’s the pot calling the kettle black then.

• 132 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Uruguay, Costa Rica and Italy in Englands group………………..seems Roy’s boys will be home early

• 133 89Norcal // Dec 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM

catchy in norway // Dec 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

i wouldnt have hernandez even if he was free, not a good player

:lol:

• 134 bills-son // Dec 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Catchy,

All of the top 6 have lost to lower teams this season and played cr@p.

In your perfect world that would never happen.

• 135 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

89Norcal

I read that comment on Hernandez and almost passed out laughing, talk about clueless :D

• 136 JAMSHA // Dec 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

france an arge are soo bloody luck to have weak teams

• 137 89Norcal // Dec 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

@JB
    If he weren’t in the anti-pardew camp, i’m pretty sure everyone would be ripping catchy daily.

I’m hardly a football expert but to say you wouldnt even take Chicharito on a free…well there’s plenty of other top clubs that would.

So catchy would make an even worse manager than me. But his colossal level of ignorance and selective memory means he would make a fine politician.

• 138 JackButler // Dec 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM

89Norcal

To be honest mate, I think most have just given up on him :D

previous post: We May Give One Or Two A Chance Tomorrow