The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Davide Moyes Had This Player In The Shop Window

8:13 am, Monday, December 9th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

It was strange that after Wilfried Zaha had played only one game for Manchester United this season, in their very first game of the season in the FA Community Shield, he was on the bench against Newcastle on Saturday.

ben arfa manchester united 1-0

Wilfried Zaha challenging Ben Arfa on Saturday

And not only that, but Wilfried came on and played in the second half and made his Premier League debut, which was rather a strange move to put a player so inexperienced on,  when Manchester United were already trailing 1-0 to a Yohan Cabaye goal.

But that’s what happened on Saturday, and maybe it had to have something to do with Newcastle being interested in taking the 21 year-old England U21 winger on loan in January.

Everton manager David Moyes does not seem to rate the former Crystal Palace winger too highly, and wants him to get first team experience elsewhere in the Premier League, at least through the end of the season.

And according to the Daily Mail Newcastle are in the driver’s seat for that loan move, although new manager Tony Pulis at Crystal Palace may try to take him back to Selhurst Park, although Moyes is thought not to favor Zaha returning to his former club.

But with several of our wingers  not able to get regular playing time at Newcastle – like Ben Arfa, Jonas Gutierrez, Sammy Ameobi, Gabby Obertan and Sylvain Marveaux for example, does this mean he will get playing time preference over these players?

Obviously the Red Devils want him to play out on loan, otherwise he can just sit on the bench at Manchester United, so this may be rather a strange move by Newcastle, since we will need to give the 21 year-old some playing time, when and if he arrives on Tyneside.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sgt. Heagerty // Dec 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I have been a regular on this blog for 6 years now, since I first discovered it in a hospital in Germany after getting blown up for the last time in my army career….I have been a newcastle supporter since a young Iraqi kid I met on patrol in Baghdad who was wearing an Allen shearer strip told me all about the legend and newcastle united and the greatest supporters in the world the toon army. ( Ed did a story on me back in 2009 if you care to hear the whole story I’m sure it’s in archives) my point is I am an American from little rock arkansas who has been in love with newcastle and the Geordies for ten years and in those ten years I’ve seen the ups and down, mostly downs… Lol but hey that’s the toon and it makes the ups that more special…. I didn’t marry newcastle for the trophies lol…. I know there are lads on here who live on tyneside and have spent 30 or 40 years following the toon, and new fans just in the courting fase wih newcastle from all walks of life and all parts of the globe… I used to post on here everyday but now I mostly just read eds greats stories because I can’t take the Man U like fans that come on this site, right now everyone is soaring and rightly so I’m 30,000 feet me self!!! But go back and read the comments from the match on Saturday…in the first half you had dummies calling for the gaffers head, bashing colo our flipping capo and one of the most consistent players we have bad since the drop, you had some horrible stuff being said about our lads who were bleeding black and white at old trafford and spilled their guts for a glorious 3 points that was worth 41!!!!! The point behind all this is criticism is fine and getting upset is expected during rough patches, but there is a line… Some of you lads need to take a long look in the mirror and remember what makes are club so special that a dumb ya I infantryman instantly fell in love wih it at first sight!!!! It wasn’t just sir bobby, or shearer, or the blue collar roll up your sleeves attitude of not only the team but the city, the people the supporters, mixed with the flair of ginola, tino, the class of shearer and wor Jackie…. The fire of Keegan and the entertainers!!!! Man it was combination of it all that goes in a pot and makes a Geordie stew so strong and potent and intoxicating (and lethal to mackems) that a dirt floor poor kid like myself thought, man, this is what a football club is suppose to be!!!! So lads please just think about some of what I’ve written and maybe take a trip down memory lane yourself and remember what it means to be a Geordie. Ever wonder why players like Carroll and ba can be giant slayers in the black and white and utter rubbage anywhere else, there is just something special about newcastle united that you can’t even whisper a word for what it is for fear of losing it!!!! Howay the lads!!!!

• 2 stopper // Dec 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Sgt Heagerty. Very well said.

• 3 scout // Dec 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Great post Sgt.
    I’m proud of you sir and anyone in the forces, including my brother. He would have been in Iraq also in 2003

• 4 mkhalaf // Dec 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM

SGT. Heagerty very very very well said,,, all the way from oregon!!!!

• 5 Abdhammed // Dec 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM

sergent we don’t want your personal story in this blog!!!

• 6 tequilamag // Dec 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM

@ 5 speak for yourself chump.
    Nice one Hegarty bit early but post of the week.

• 7 firebug666 // Dec 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

SGT Heagerty,

I Salute You.

• 8 lesh // Dec 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Sgt. Heagerty

Your post @1 is the most emotional, touching and powerful I’ve ever read.

Having been a regular on this blog for 6 years and having finding Newcastle United after having suffered the ravages of army life in Iraq, you sir have and are showing more strength and honour than many of our so-called supporters.

That kid in Iraq, sporting a Shearer shirt and the one that took your heart to Newcastle United, may not have survived that conflict or have been seriously injured and emotionally scarred by it. And it is people like that who have shown more dedication to the Toon than many of the fickle, opinionated and abusive so-called fans who spout on here.

They should be ashamed of themselves. Have they never had a day that’s not gone as planned? Have they never felt not up to something? Do these people think they’re so perfect they can let the venom, the bile ooze from their malicious heads? They ought to consider themselves very very fortunate not to have been faced with the dangers such as you and that Iraqi kid see the bigger picture, try to place themselves in the shoes of that kid in Baghdad. Surrounded by death and destruction, he wore the Toon colours with pride, wishing he could be near his idols at SJP.

Maybe those posters who put their vitriol to print,should have had a spell in his shoes and appreciate what they’re thoughtlessly slamming what they’ve got access to in Newcastle United.

• 9 lesh // Dec 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Abdhammed – shane on you.

• 10 Ancientcoptic // Dec 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Man Utd may be thinking twice about loaning us Zaha now, what with the way the league table looks. That is unless Man Utd are thinking about making a move for Cabaye at some point, so they may want to sweeten us up a bit.

previous post: We Were Terrific And In Control Of The Game