The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Our Man Of The Match Was Dominant At Old Trafford

8:29 am, Monday, December 9th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

It was a close call on Sunday morning as to who was going to be our Man of the Match for Saturday’s game at Old Trafford, when Newcastle recorded another win, and our first win there since way back in February of 1972.

cheick tiote man united

Cheick Tiote - in action at Old Trafford

But it’s Cheick Tiote who has pulled away and is our Man of the Match for Saturday with 33% of the vote, followed by Mathieu Debuchy on 27% and Mike Williamson on 17%.

Who Was Newcastle's best Player Against Man United?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Newcastle got off to a fast start on Saturday, and Cheick was buzzing in midfield the whole game, and helped Newcastle control the midfield, and we had more possession through the game than the home side.

And Cheick was almost unrecognizable from the player who struggled last season, but he has returned to his very best form this season, and he was just terrific on Saturday, and epitomized the great spirit of the Newcastle team.

And to think he didn’t even pick up a yellow card. :D

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sgt. Heagerty // Dec 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I have been a regular on this blog for 6 years now, since I first discovered it in a hospital in Germany after getting blown up for the last time in my army career….I have been a newcastle supporter since a young Iraqi kid I met on patrol in Baghdad who was wearing an Allen shearer strip told me all about the legend and newcastle united and the greatest supporters in the world the toon army. ( Ed did a story on me back in 2009 if you care to hear the whole story I’m sure it’s in archives) my point is I am an American from little rock arkansas who has been in love with newcastle and the Geordies for ten years and in those ten years I’ve seen the ups and down, mostly downs… Lol but hey that’s the toon and it makes the ups that more special…. I didn’t marry newcastle for the trophies lol…. I know there are lads on here who live on tyneside and have spent 30 or 40 years following the toon, and new fans just in the courting fase wih newcastle from all walks of life and all parts of the globe… I used to post on here everyday but now I mostly just read eds greats stories because I can’t take the Man U like fans that come on this site, right now everyone is soaring and rightly so I’m 30,000 feet me self!!! But go back and read the comments from the match on Saturday…in the first half you had dummies calling for the gaffers head, bashing colo our flipping capo and one of the most consistent players we have bad since the drop, you had some horrible stuff being said about our lads who were bleeding black and white at old trafford and spilled their guts for a glorious 3 points that was worth 41!!!!! The point behind all this is criticism is fine and getting upset is expected during rough patches, but there is a line… Some of you lads need to take a long look in the mirror and remember what makes are club so special that a dumb ya I infantryman instantly fell in love wih it at first sight!!!! It wasn’t just sir bobby, or shearer, or the blue collar roll up your sleeves attitude of not only the team but the city, the people the supporters, mixed with the flair of ginola, tino, the class of shearer and wor Jackie…. The fire of Keegan and the entertainers!!!! Man it was combination of it all that goes in a pot and makes a Geordie stew so strong and potent and intoxicating (and lethal to mackems) that a dirt floor poor kid like myself thought, man, this is what a football club is suppose to be!!!! So lads please just think about some of what I’ve written and maybe take a trip down memory lane yourself and remember what it means to be a Geordie. Ever wonder why players like Carroll and ba can be giant slayers in the black and white and utter rubbage anywhere else, there is just something special about newcastle united that you can’t even whisper a word for what it is for fear of losing it!!!! Howay the lads!!!!

• 2 Jamiemac // Dec 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Great comment, totally agree ^

• 3 GeordieoftheSouth // Dec 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Personally don’t agree with the Tiote Man of the Match, I thought he was very frustrating and kept fouling unnecessarily and giving Utd chances to swing the ball into the box…we were just lucky they didn’t.

Willo MOTM for me.

• 4 estechco // Dec 9, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Great post Sgt. Heagerty.

As a native, its easy to get caught up in the passion surrounding your own team.

It’s completely different when you hear someone with no logical reason for getting caught up in that same passion, speak from the heart about their addiction for it.

• 5 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Was there another team playing Manure at Old Trtafford on Saturday. Just having my morning cuppa – one of many – and reading the match reports if you want to call them that
    Biggest load of toss – Eighth paragraph before the opposition get a mention and it is Newcastle not Newcastle UNITED. 14th para before we get a mention again only for we were lucky as ‘United’ should of had a penalty – my ar*e ball came off post and struck anita’s hand which was behind him.
    Go to Independent pathetic match report, just 3 pages of the troubles at ‘united’ and again and Newcastle UNITED called Newcastle.

and they wonder why they are Hated.

GAN ON THE TOON – NEWCASTLE UNITED

• 6 SpaceGhost // Dec 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Agree with u Sarge. I’m an adopted Geordie myself living in Malaysia. Love to know we have fans even in Iraq. Most fans here on this blog are generally decent passionate fans. Its the minority here that slags & stabs their own. I wake up at midnight & sometimes 3am just to watch our matches.

To hear the disrespect spewed esp on Shola , Colo & Pardew here make my blood boil. They are just human, capable of making the odd mistakes. I get frustrated too when Colo strays out wide too far , Shola’s millionth time misstep or a Tiote 80 yard screamers. At the end of the day, they are still our team, our brothers in arm on the field.

• 7 Munster Mag // Dec 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Good comment Sarge. I started supporting NUFC in Ireland, as a kid, long before the Toon Army name came about. Doing it about 38 years now! I listened to Keegans debut on the radio. Magic. So proud on saturday. Was shopping afterwards and just kept pumping my fist. Got some strange looks but hey ho!

• 8 ballerfan2 // Dec 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Sgt Heagerty’s words are absolutely true. Our frustrations are understandable. The nasty and often crude abuse is not. It seems to take just a slight loss of form from a player to make him the latest target for the critics. Not one player has been beyond the abuse at some point and Collo is just the latest. I sometimes wonder why any of these players would want to play for us. Collo is a great player and his calm reading of the game on Saturday was obviously beyond the understanding of some of our “fans”(?) who have decided beforehand that he is past it. Rubbish – open your eyes man. However these ridiculous opinions are constantly being thrown back at the critics. Debuchy – useless and out of his depth 6 weeks ago is now being touted by the pundits as arguably the best RB in the league. Willo – great example. Gouffran yet another, yet I see because he wasn’t quite so influential on Saturday that he has already attracted the attention (once again) of some neggers. Unbelievable if it wasn’t so common a reaction from the usual suspects. As Sgt H says, we have a special club here but sometimes wonder whether we deserve it.

• 9 toonbrother // Dec 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Tiote is the true captain of this football club. What a leader, What a man!

previous post: Davide Moyes Had This Player In The Shop Window