The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Would Like Us To Win The FA Cup – It’s Possible

5:03 pm, Wednesday, December 11th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 72 Comments

Philippe Albert,  the former Newcastle defender in the 1990s, who played under Kevin Keegan in that great Entertainers side,  has been interviewed in the Chronicle today and he reminisces about the time he played for Newcastle, and how great it was.

philippe albert today

Philippe Albert today – Belgian TV  football pundit

Philippe Albert is now working as a pundit for Belgian TV, and the former Newcastle player also runs a very successful fruit and vegetable company

He was delighted with Newcastle’s 1-0 win at Old Trafford last Saturday, in what was the first win there since David Craig, Iam McFaul, Malcolm MacDonald, Frank Clark  Tony Green, John Tudor and Stewart Barrowclough were in the side on Saturday, 12th February. 1972  managed by Joe Harvey – when we simply tore the Red Devils apart 2-0. :D

Philippe talked about some of the games he played for Newcastle at Old Trafford:

“We came close a few times,”  “I actually started to think back to some of the games I played at Old Trafford when I heard the result on Saturday.”  “It’s never easy to win there. The players should feel proud of what they did.”

“I enjoyed the battles we had. They were at the time one of the best teams in the world and I think we managed a few draws and there were some really close games.”  “They are not the same now Sir Alex is gone, but we should still celebrate the win and the move on.”

“And, remember, you still have to be a good team to win in Manchester.”“I remember how important Christmas was in England. The games over that period could really affect your season.”  “If Newcastle can keep this run going, win a few more games, then they can really go into 2014 with the hope of getting European football.”

“The fans deserve that. They deserve the best, if I’m honest. Every week they are there and it’s a privilege to play for them.”  “It was a special time in my life and it will be special for the players now if they can keep this run going because they will be loved.”

“I would like us to win the FA Cup. We should be trying to do that every season. I have always thought that was possible.”

Albert is certainly a big Newcastle fan these days, and he makes sense – and after winning the FA Cup in 1951, 1952 and 1955, we haven’t won it since, and with the team we have at the moment – we can beat any team in Britain on any given day – there’s no good reason we cannot do very well this season in the Cup – starting in the 3rd round at home to Cardiff City in early January.

And we have to think that with no European games this season, manager Alan Pardew will play almost his strongest side in each tie, and you never know – we could actually win something next May – and wouldn’t that be something.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: FA Cup · Newcastle News · Premier League

72 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWSBRD // Dec 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Ah the many things NUFC should be doing

• 2 Tsunki // Dec 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Probably most fans enduring vision of Albert is the cheeky grin and wild celebration after he dinked that ball over Schmeichel. That was a manure win to be proud of.

“I would like us to win the FA Cup. We should be trying to do that every season.”

That’s a Mag talking.

• 3 Shadow_Shearer // Dec 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Philippe Albert, what a legend. I still remember his chip lob over peter schmeichel in the 5-0 win. He hasn’t 4gotten us, and we won’t 4get him!!

• 4 Shadow_Shearer // Dec 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Now that we have da confidence 2 beat anybody in the premiership, hopefully this will be our year.

• 5 swemag // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Yesterday someone on here was saying that we are where we should be and for that reason there is nothing to congratulate ourselves for or indeed the leadership of the club.

What one could say is that the same people were probably saying that our squad was crap in the summer and is now saying that where we are should be expected as we have an very good squad. Where is the logic in that?

Further, a lot of clubs invested heavily and should then have a better squad than us and be well beyond us, true? I am talking about such hard hitters like Norwich, Southampton, West Ham and maybe even our beloved Sunderland. Lets put Tottenham in there as well. Not sure what their targets were but with the investment they did in comparison to what we did and how crap our squad was one would think that all those teams should be within the top ten and we should logically be fighting off relegation. Correct?

SOuthampton is doing good. Tottenham is above us but I would argue that most Spurs fans are dissapointed.

I think my point being, most teams should be happy if they reach their targets, because it would appear that most teams don’t, if all teams reached their targets the top ten would probably have to contain 15-16 teams.

I will agree with some posters here that we are overreliant on some individuals, such as Cabaye and Remy, and so far we have been fairly lucky woth injuries to these key guys. And in all honesty, I think this is a bigger factor than the whole Europa League involvement to why we are doing significantly better this year. Last year Cabaye was out for lengthy periods and did not really hit form when he came back, we did not have a Remy at all, even an in form Cisse does not have the same impact as Remy has.

So what can be done?

Sign up Remy at any cost. Screw the wage structure. Keep Cabaye at any cost and get a second guy that can do the same job. Anita is good but is not the answer to that.

In companies you make budgets, you can have a negative scenario, a realistic scenario and a positive scenario. I must say that where we are now falls into the positive scenario, I could not imagine us doing any better than what we are doing. The team is delivering fantastically, long may it continue and I hope we find those extra players in January.

• 6 Graeme // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I was there for the Final against Liverpool. We set off on the Railway Special at some stupid time very late Friday night or early Saturday morning and took about 7 hours to get to London.
    We then played something like a 17-a-side game in Hyde Park before going for breakfast – the Dorchester couldn’t seat us all – yes, we did ask lol.

At Wembly, you could just about see the pitch, the atmosphere was truly electric in the build up to kick-off, then, as in so many games, Newcastle simply didnt turn up and Liverpool won without problem.

We then spent what seemed like another day to get back to Newcastle. I remember walking into the house in West Denton, completely dejected and my Dad said to me – “Never mind son, you have done something I never have” I said “Whats that Dad” and he said, “I have been to Wembly 3 times, but I have never seen Newcastle lose” “You managed it on your first trip” I dont think I have ever felt as bad supporting NUFC as I did that day.

I went back to Wembly the following year to see us lose against Man Shitty, Tuart scored their winner. It was bad, but it wasnt as bad as losing the FA Cup.

• 7 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Pardew is the second longest serving Prem manager after Wenger.

Doesn’t mean he is a great or good manager but it does mean that 95% of the time a team changes its manager the next fella doesn’t cut the mustard.

When the likes of Our Toon say Pardew is mediocre and we can do far better – who with? Guardiola, Mourinho or. …????

History tells us Martinez and Laudrup are more likely to fail than succeed. Someone on here pointed out that Laudrup has only won 8 out of his last 25 Prem games.

• 8 magpie6699 // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM

One point that gets overlooked when people hark back to the KK management days of the 90s and even SBR’s time ( bless him – great man and great manager). Some say with the team we have now we should be challenging for the top – and that the reason we aren’t is because of our manager. BUT, and it’s a big but, when we were finishing 2nd, 3rd etc. our main challengers were Man Utd and Arsenal. Man City were nowhere and even Chelski had not invested the huge sums of money they did on players and wages, while Liverpool and Tottenham were likewise not as big spenders as they are now. In other words, it’s a different playing field now – our best chance of success was the season we narrowly missed out to Man U thanks to their fantastic closing run, And at one time when teams put out weaker teams in the League Cup, ythey really were weaker. Not now -look at how much the “reserve” Man City team that played us cost!

• 9 Ciaran // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

The fact that Pards is the 2nd longest severing PL manager says more about MA’s lack of ambition than it does about Pards’ ability.

Seriously, some people are thick beyond belief.

• 10 Ciaran // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM

As for winning the FA Cup? I’m pretty sure some illustrious teams like Brighton or Stevenage will have something to say about that…

• 11 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Graeme,

Great story about the Liverpool final.

My brother who was an apprentice at Burnley at the time got me and my Dad tickets but they were in the Liverpool end. I swopped mine at Wembley before the match but my Dad wouldn’t because there were forged tickets doing the rounds and he wouldn’t take the chance.

After I went through the turnstiles there were fans behind the gates asking for the stub so they could climb over and blag their way in. I handed mine over not realising that I had to the show the stub to the steward at the top of the steps before going on the terraces. I nearly got hoyed out but a few fans told the steward to fk off and he let me in. Would never happen these days with seats!

As you say the match was a huge let down especially after that fantastic semi-final against Burnley at Hillsborough.

After the match my Dad didn’t turn up at our meeting point. He’d been taken on the pi$$ by Liverpool supporters and he turned up five minutes before the bus left back to Wallsend a few hours later.

Hard to believe it was 40 years ago this May.

• 12 santonthenewmaldini // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM

As good as Keegan was If we had have had a more experienced and more tactically sound manager we would have won the league when we had Keegans team he bottled it big time !

Imagine if we had got Sir Bobby when Keegan left that first time I think we would have dominated for a few seasons

Which brings me to Pardew he is doing well at the moment but I always feel that this squad could do better with another manager say Garcia or Benitez would have worked wonders

As it stands Pardew is here to stay under Ashley especially as we are doing well I just wish Ashley would properly back him with some quality players Pardew seems to like players in the Sissoko/Tiote mould who can bully teams but still have quality I would have no problems with another 1 or 2 of them in January

• 13 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Ruddy,

Some people are thick beyond belief?

There you go again, first in with the personal insults.

Which flies completely in the face of a pompous statement that you made on your own blog that whikst you might disagree with other opinions you never resort to personal insults.

What an absolute total BShitter you are.

• 14 Graeme // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Bills, I made the semi at Sheffield, against Burnley. My old man was a copper in the leases end in those days and we managed to get him a ticket as well, so he drove us all down.

That goal Supermac scord, running half the pitch with Noble hanging off his neck is simply unforgettable – the man was built like a bloody elephant. Him and Hibbert just knew exactly what the other was going to do – what a partnership they were lol

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Pardew being the second longest serving manager is by and large irrelevant. Before this summer he was behind Martinez who led his Wigan team to a glorious relegation. Just cause changing a manager doesn’t always work doesn’t mean that sticking with one does work.

As for us, we are where I expected us to be, I predicted anywhere in the 6th to 10th bracket (City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool were my top 5, then us, Man U, Everton and Saints in no particular order). Because we are 7th do I think Pardew is doing a wonderful job? Nope, okay, but nothing special – about right with what we have in the squad.

I wanted rid of Pardew, and am yet to be convinced by him, but for me it is pleasing that he seems to have learnt and has improved the style of play this year. It isn’t easy for someone to change style and go in a different direction after more than 10 years of doing it one way. So credit to him for having a go. Anyone expecting instant results is deluding themselves. What we have seen though is improvement, and after he was kept that was all I asked for, hell, he even took responsibility for the Swansea performance.

A long way to go, but he has shown signs of learning, long may it continue.

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

As for Martinez, he is in a very similar spot to where Moyes’ Everton side finished last season. Let’s not go jumping the gun just yet on that one.

• 17 swemag // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

@ santonthenewmaldini

Garcia would have been a dream. Imagine the players he could attract and most likely Cabaye would have signed up for life.

I guess the issue with that is that he and Ashley might disagree on a few issues. We know that people that disagree with Ashley have no place in our club.

Unfortunate.

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Previous thread people seemed to be daydreaming about expensive and unlikely to sign defenders…. well I might as well throw my Football manager hat on and say Papadopoulos from Schalke. Round 10million gets him, young, talented, confident, strong, aggressive and by all accounts a bit of a nut job. Just the type of centre half nobody likes to play against.

• 19 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Lil,

You are missing my point.

I said being the second longest serving manager doesn’t really say anything about Pardew but it does say that the vast majority of managerial appointments do not work out. That was my point.

Our Toon and those who think that changing Pardew is a dead cert for moving forward fail to say who can guarantee that.

• 20 swemag // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

West Ham looking to sign Oba Martins. Wow, they must be excited in east London these days.

I am just really excited that Allardyce has no connection what so ever to our club.

• 21 jimmysmith // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Trouble with being objective and level headed is that on that one day when we actually win something, you would doubtless be all dispassionate and philosophical about it all.

Better a perpetual manic cycle of hope and despair I think, knowing that on that one fateful day, when that elusive trophy actually arrives, you’ll go suitably nuts and inevitably shed those unstoppable tears of utter relief and unbridled joy.

They’d better fuggen do it soon though, while I’ve still got a flame to fan.

• 22 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Graeme,

At Hillsborough I was in the Burnley section of the stand and I’d painted an old black jacket with white stripes and I had the scarf, hat, rattle the lot. I got dogs of abuse off the Burnley supporters and boy wax it sweet when Supermac knocked that second one in. He turned towards the stand I was in as he ran back towards the Newcastle end and I can remember going absolutely bloody daft.

One of the best days in my time supporting the Toon.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Bills,
    A lot of managerial changes may not appear to be of benefit, but who knows what would have happened if the owner had stuck with the departed man.

Personally I think Sunderland would have been relegated last year if they hadn’t sacked O’Neill, Di Canio kept them up so it was a success of sorts.

Impossible to say whether it improves or not in most cases. The best time to replace a manager is when you plateau, but it is hard to justify doing that as a chairman. Southampton did it well last year with Pocchettino, despite the outrage in the media, Pocchettino has improved them. Ashley did this with Hughton to an extent (although I think behind the scene disagreements may have contributed), maybe when he thinks we have plateaued he will do it again.

I agree, there is no guarantee any new manager will do better, but that doesn’t men we shouldn’t want and aspire for better. If Pardew can continue to better himself then no reason to get rid at the minute.

• 24 Sazzer // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Super Hero Line up for Saturday:
    GangsterTim
    DePirate Batman Sonic the Hedgehog Mickey Mouse
    Sissoko Superman Tiote Goofy
    Shola-yihaa! SpiderMan2

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Sazzer,
    Much against my normal train of thought, I’d give HBA a starting spot in place of Cabaye and see how he gets on. Saints will look to dominate play, much lke Swansea so our ball retention will be crucial. I think having that extra midfielder is the way to go.

• 26 wolfshead@toon // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM

bills

some people have become so entrenched they cant change their opinion as it would look like they are admitting they are wrong just let them carry on their crusade mate

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Wolfshead,
    I think it is far too early to say anyone’s views on Pardew are wrong. We have had some great results, but some absolute shockers as well. Similarly, some great spells of play, but also some terrible ones.

• 28 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Lil,

Every team in the Prem bar Arsenal has had some shockers this season.

We aren’t alone.

• 29 Belgian // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I’m a Newcastle fan because of Phillipe Albert.
    Even though we haven’t won anything i am still grateful for Newcastle signing the first Belgian in the premier league.
    It became an important part of my life.
    Can’t wait to see them play again.
    Howay the lads!

• 30 pottsclock // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Whether you love or hate Pardew, think he is or isn’t good enough for us or whatever…
    One question.
    Is he the best ENGLISH manager in the EPL? He is the highest by league position and the next two being Bruce at Hull in 12th and then our Hughton (who I class as English even though he played for Ireland) in 14th.
    I am not suggesting anything by this other than it does not paint a good picture of English managerial talent coming through.

• 31 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM

@ bills

I think even they have against Villa fist game of the season at home .

I am loving the Premier League this year as it is so unpredictable ( apart from the Mackems losing :) ) and even the so called big four are in and around each other with only a couple of points between them, us and even second .

Leagues like Germany, Spain, France & Italy have two or three real quality teams at the most but the rest of the league for the most part are pretty average. I sometimes wonder how teams like us, Everton & Southampton would fair in other countries ? .

The PL may not have the best team or teams in world football, but it is certainly the most entertaining, unpredictable and has more quality throughout .

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Bills,
    That doesn’t make it okay and acceptable though does it??

• 33 jasper // Dec 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM

In common with others I think MA has done some pretty stupid things, mostly appointments, with Dennis Wise probably topping the bill, but I do think he has learnt some lessons.
    I also suspect he was totally humiliated by the repudiation he received after he tried to be one of the lads early on and I think it no surprise that he has gone into his shell and hasn’t emerged since it all went pear shaped with relegation.

But does he want to win the PL? Of course he does. He wants to be top dog. But he isn’t ever going to spend money in a scattergun fashion like Chelsea or ManC. He knows that he can’t compete in a slugfest of marquee signings against Abramovich or the Arabs. So every signing has to count.

Arsenal is the model he wants to follow and he is going to stick to it.

Will we buy in Jan? We should strengthen the squad…….BUT…….
    Look at Arsenal again. Wenger had been under pressure to spend big for several seasons but until he signed Ozil he had generally kept the cheque book closed. Why? For the reason, as he said, that the right players were not available.
    Sure we would be a much better team with a strong CF such as Lukaku. Or Benteke. But they”re NOT AVAILABLE.

The danger inherent in splashing the cash is evident with Spurs this season. What have they spent with the Bale money, £80m? Not exactly setting the league on fire.

We have been linked to a lot of players over the last couple of years – Maiga, van WW, Carroll, N’Zogbia, Ruiz, Bony etc. More dodged bullets than missed opportunities there.

Yes they bought five players in Jan but these were not panic buys. They were players we had been following for some time and were intended as summers signings. But the league position forced them to bring them forward

So will we sign a CF, CB or attacking MF in January? I think that the plan is to fill one or more of these positions – but only if the right player is available. I believe that the strategy is to bring in quality player(s) and not journeymen to plug holes.

We have done well with the first team signings of the last few seasons (putting Obertan to one side, who was an AP driven aberration). In order to go forward patience is the name of the game. Let’s not waste money in January that could be better spent well in the summer.

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Can anyone point me in the direction of evidence that Pardew and nobody else recommended Obertan with Carr having no input, and that every other signing is down to Carr.

Amalfitano has flopped, so surely he must have been a player Pardew wanted rather than Carr….. Or is the Obertan stuff just wild speculation?

• 35 martoon // Dec 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Bills & Graeme – Aye I remember the cup finals – one thing you have to say about the scousers then was they were great supporters and were buying all the Geordies commiseration drinks.
    The Man City final I was right behind the goal that Alan Gowling equalised in, I was sure we would go on to win it until that makem’s flukey overhead kick ;)

• 36 Blaydon-Toon // Dec 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Loving the old FA CUP stories not quite old enough to remember them but I did go to both finals against Arsenal and MAN UTD great days out but we did not turn up in either ! Would have been nice to at least celebrate a goal !

• 37 70TWO // Dec 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM

“Seriously, some people are thick beyond belief.”

How to win respect and influence people, never going to bring about any change with that attitude.

• 38 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

70TWO

And that comment from someone who has stated on his blog that he might differ on opinion but never stoops to personal insults.

The reality is the exact opposite as he has proven yet agsin tonight.

He’ll be back on soon trying to intellectualise an excuse.

• 39 JackButler // Dec 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

there was a full interview that someone posted on here when Obertan signed with Carr saying that he had nothing to do with the deal and it was Pardew’s wish to sign the player. I’m sure it’s still out there somewhere if you want to go look for it

• 40 Cool Hand Luke // Dec 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Bills, hes a jumped up kid with an overinflated ego and zero integrity, don’t worry about him.

On Albert, he was one of the main reasons I fell in love with the Toon in my teenage years, his chip vs Man UTD was no one off, hes scored a few crackers for us. I’m surprised he didn’t play more often, given Keegan’s gung ho approach.

• 41 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Blaydon-Toon,

The Fairs Cup win in 1969 was a fantastic and almost unbelievable achievement.

We finished 10th and only qualified because in those days only one club from each city could enter – other London clubs and I think Lpool and Everton finished above us.

We were drawn against Feyenoord in the first round who had a team full of Dutch internationals. Nobody gave us a chance but we were 4.0 up at half time at home in the first leg. A young geordie left winger called Geoff Allen had an absolute blinder. We lost 2.0 away but we were through.

After that it just kept getting better. There were 60,000 crowds for every home game and we just kept getting results home and away against top teams that went totally against our fairly poor league form. Foreign teams just couldn’t handle big Wyn Davies especially in the air and Pop Robson scored some magical goals.

We drew away with Rangers in the first leg of the semi6final and then infamously the jocks invaded the pitch when we went 2.0 up at SJP. Didn’t stop us winning though.

In the final we played Ujpest Dosza who had beaten the great Leeds team of the time home and away in the other semi-final. No neutral gave us a prayer of winning the cup. The first leg was was at SJP and what a night. The ground was full two hours before kick off and we sang our hearts out non stop.

0.0 at half time and then – I can still see it and feel it now – Bob Moncur got two goals and Jimmy Scott the other to send us absolutely daft. We had won it surely.

I listened to the second leg on the radio – it wasn’t on tv in those days – and we were totally outplayed and 2.0 down at half time and on our way to being steamrollered by a very good side. Years later Bob Moncur told me that at half time Joe Harvey had said “get a goal and they’ll collapse”.

Joe was dead right. Bob scored from a corner after two minutes and that was it. They now needed three to win on away goals and they gave up. Ben Arentoft and a great great goal from Alan Foggon saw us win 3.2 on the night and 6.2 on aggregate.

Who would have thought that 44 years later no Newcastle team would have done what they did – win a trophy.

Blame Ashley :-)

• 42 Graeme // Dec 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Bills, what memories!! In the semi against Rangers, I had a brand new anarak on for the first time and some rangers shit sprayed a can of paint all over the back of it lol.

I was at all the home games in the Inter Cities and didnt it produce the memories. As you say, winning the home leg 3-0 was truely amazing – couldnt get to the away leg, just about impossible in those days.

We were glued to the radio for the 2nd leg and getting a pasting at 2-0 at half time. Moncur scored – a hat-trick over the two legs and the only goals I remember him scoring for toon.

When they brought the cup home, we were all piled into the Westwood Stand chanting “the leazes end is here” cos the place was so empty. then more and more arrived ahead of them parading the cup and we had to clamber down off that stand, over the corner flag and into the spiritual home of the Leazes. What a night that was – I have never seen as many men crying in my life. Such ssweet memories only surpassed by the heroics in the Champions League – Asprilla’s hat trick at SJP always stands out for me lol

• 43 Graeme // Dec 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Bills, you may know the answer to this.

Are we not still the only team in Champions League History to lose the first the games of the League stage and then come storming through, against some seriously great teams, to actually qualify in 2nd place and into the knock-out stages.

My son is 21 in 2 weeks time, has a season ticket yet has never experienced anything like the sheer emotion we have been through. I truly hope Ashley grows a pair and lets us qualify for the CL – He would never experience anything like it, anywhere.

• 44 Graeme // Dec 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM

should say “Lose the first three games…..”

• 45 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Graeme,

Far as I know we are still the only team to lose the first three Champs Lge games and go through. That Bellamy goal was magic.

Were you at the Notts Forest game when the crowd invaded the pitch and we came back from 3.1 down to win 4.3? That was an incredible game and so were the two replays until Supermac put them out. Duncan Mackenzie played brilliantly for them in those games.

• 46 Graeme // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Bills, I was at every home game in the Champs League – again, we were given NO chance of beating Forrest, twice winners of the competition – and we did lol.

There was only ONE Supermac and it wasnt macKenzie, thats for sure lol

• 47 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Another one of my all time favourite games,

Beating the great Leeds team 3.2 at SJP back in 1972. The crowds paying to get in were huge in those days and I missec the first ten minutes. In the queue we could hear roar after roar from the crowd and whem we got in it was already 2.2.

Supermac, who else, scored the winner in the second half of a brilliant end to end game.

• 48 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Bills-son
    Fairs Cup memories
    Vittoria Setubal came to the toon and we hammered them 5-1 in a blizzard and most of the team being Portugese and Brazilian had not seen Snow – they were bloody freeezing.

And biggest high to low

Was we lost 2-0 against Anderlecht away
    and in the second leg we went 3-0 in the 85th minute or about then – the noise was immense then Anderlecht scored with the last kick of the game and you could here a pin drop.

• 49 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Graeme,

The Forest game was the FA Cup in 1974 on our way to the final.

Great craic on those memories mate, happy happy days :-)

• 50 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Charlie,

That Anderlecht goal was an absolute gutter. It came from a breakaway from a corner of ours and I can still see their CF dummying our CH and slotting it past McFaul.

The highs and the lows eh.

Does any low beat Cantona’s goal at SJP though? I knew at that moment that we weren’t going to win the title. I just knew it and it was the worst feeling I’ve ever had supporting the Toon.

• 51 martoon // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Bills @45
    3 – 1 down, 4 – 3 up, what does Alan Brown say? We want a replay :)

• 52 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Bill-son
    The highs and Lows – Thats why we watch the TOON !
    The Leeds 3-2 is that not the game when Jinky put the ball through a defenders legs went back did it again and hit a unstoppable shot into the net at the Leazes end – Peanuts a tanner a bag..

Instead of the digital time in the corners – Bring back the 5 and ten minute flags and the half time scoreboard. Climbing the Popular trees along side the Leazes Terrace to watch the game

Happy days

happy days

• 53 bills-son // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Martoon,

Aye, that replay was a strange decision.

We were down to ten men and they never complained immediately after the game about the pitch invasion.

We won the replay eventually so justice was done.

• 54 Ian Toon // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM

bills- My father saw Super Mac’s home debut against Liverpool. He puts him not far behind my boyhood hero Shearer. But wasn’t Mac carried off with concussion having scored a hatrick in a 3-2 win.

I read your comment earlier on the FA Cup semi Final win over Burnley where he scored the two goals. Thereafter he fell out with Gordon Lee and signed for Arsenal. This culminated in us being relegated It’s claimed. Mac had replaced Wynne the leap who was CF in the Fairs Cup winning side.

It’s not that out of the question that we could be lucky with the draw and have a good cup run.

• 55 jimmysmith // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Supermac was a freak. A ball of muscle on immensely powerful bowed legs. He looked astonishing wailing in at goal at a rollicking, buccaneering full tilt in that classic old black and white strip.

Not quite the player Shearer was, but even more of a menacing presence in an era where centre forwards and centre backs kicked the shit out of each other.

• 56 Ian Toon // Dec 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Jimmy – Was Tony Green better than Jinky Jimmy Smith.? I suspect not in your eyes given your choice of name.

• 57 jimmysmith // Dec 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Ian, I was a little lad back then. Jimmy Smith was my Dad’s favorite player and the name on the back of my first toon top, which I wore day and night until it fell in bits from my back.

My memories of players from that time were from MotD on black and white Australian TV through sleepy eyes, late on a Friday night and really only began in the MacDonald, Gowling, Nattrass, Kennedy and Tommy Craig team. So you can imagine the impression the packaged highlights of Supermac would leave on me.

Tony Green was at least one team I think before that one and wasn’t around all that long, but I had a football coach much later called Peter Brine who played in the first team at Boro at that time and he said that he thought Tony Green was the best player he had played against or seen.

• 58 Graeme // Dec 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Tony Green was a truly gifted footballer – one of the best ever to grace SJP, if only for a cruely truncated carreer.

The best 2 full-backs would have to be Alan Kennedy and Irving Nattrass – they were magnificent together.

Man, we have had some truly immense talent in the last 45 years – that has just frightened the life out of me!!! How can it be 45 years when I only feel 32???

• 59 jimmysmith // Dec 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Just as an aside, and while on the subject, my Father’s best pal was none other than Charlie Crowe, they worked together at my Grandad’s builders merchants in Wallsend. Charlie maintained that my Dad’s great hero, Wor Jackie, was as thick as two planks. Something to do with kicking a dumbbell in playful stupidity in the gym on the eve of a big cup tie and missing a match that was subsequently lost, possibly to end that spell of astonishing cup performances in the early to mid fifties.

• 60 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Abject and pathetic. I’m ashamed.

• 61 expatmag // Dec 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM

G’day from down under

As we are fast approaching the xmas period I thought it would be pertinent yuletide theme to this great club of ours.

Introducing………..A CHRISTMAS CAROL

Starring:

Mike Ashley as Ebeneezer Scrooge
    Alan Pardew as Bob Cratchit
    Ryan Taylor as Tiny Tim
    Sir Bobby Robson as the ghost of xmas past
    Joe Kinnear as the ghost of xmas present
    Andy Carroll as the ghost of xmas future
    Wendy Taylor as Scrooge’s maid

THE STORY

Ashley sits alone in his Hertfordshire mansion counting the profits from the sky TV deal and Sports Direct annual accounts. Grinning evilly to himself, he decides to order all SD staff to work xmas day in an 18 hour shift for nothing in order to keep their jobs. He orders another bowl of porridge from Wendy and instructs her to ban the press.

Bob Cratchit its alone in hi office at Benton, wondering if he will be able to feed and cloth his family due to increasing gambling debts to Ashley. Tiny Tim Taylor has come out of the treatment room aftert two years of incessant treatment and been told he will never kick a ball again.

Ashley goes to bed. It is Christmas Eve and in the midst of the night, SBR as the ghost of xmas past arrives in his dreams and takes Ashley back to 1996, the period of the entertainers and shows him what he could have had if he hadnt sacked Keegan, alienated the supporters, stopped the re-naming of the stadium and got a decent sponsor in. He also pointed out how he ripped off his former partner, Jacob Marley alias Derek Llambias and how he had failed dismally as the owner of this once great club of ours.

Ashley wakes up in a cold sweat and immediately rings Wendy to get her to order the staff to work a full day on xmas day and they have to pay him for the privledge.

Soon, JFK as the ghost of xmas present arrives and advises Ashley how he has seen this player who is a superstar and can be bought on a free transfer and will fire the club to the top of the league, win the FA cup and qualify for the CL. His name is Shane Ferguson. Ashley orders to get him in but loan him to Birmingham first to see what he is like.

Ashley is feeling a bit happier now until the ghost of Xmas future arrives in the fom of Andy Carroll. He berates Ashley for banking the 35 million quid transfer fee instead of giving bonuses to staff at NUFC and SD. He takes him on a trip to Saltwell Park cemetery where he hows Ashley a gravestone with his name on it.

Ashley is full of remorse and wakes up on Christmas morning with a huge change of heart. He overturns his order to have all SD staff work for nothing on Xmas day and gives them all a year salary, tax free. He gives Bob Cratchit a new 8 year contract and enough funds to buy Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar. He send Tiny Tim to see Richard Steadman in the states to get surgery to finally fix his leg. He sells the club for a quid to an Arab consortium and gives a going away party to all members of the press before offering a new business partnership to Dave Whelan with salary back dated for 10 years.

Bob Cratchit brings Carroll home on a free transfer. He wins the league and the cup for the club scoring 70 goals in a season, and wins England the world cup in Brazil.

and Mike Ashley? Well, he takes SD to Asia but reverts back to his old ways when he buys Manchester City and within 5 years, they are relegated to the conference league.

• 62 usmagpie // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I wish we could find another defender like Philippe,
    Maybe Carr should be scouting the Belgium leagues.
    A run in the cup would be nice this year, hopefully Brighton get knocked out so there no chance we met them.

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM

My best mate at schools Ma was called Edna Natrass before she got married to my mates Da, she was a neice of none other than Irving Natrass, I didn’t think much of it back then !

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:48 AM

expat,
    I don’t normally encourage humour on this blog as it distracts people from bickering, but that was a good read and well written. Well done.

• 65 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 12, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Like Lilongwe says, for every Man Utd game there seeems to be a Swansea game so I am not going to judge Pardew based on what has happen lately!

…he still needs to convince me that he has actually learned from pasr experience and that he can be consistant about it :-)

Can he do that then I’ll gladly support him for the time being – as long as Adhley doesn’t give him a new 41 year contract for beating Man Utd lol

• 66 Santon03 // Dec 12, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I think in January, either make Remy permanent or sign 1 or 2 forwards. I think the biggest impact of our success is not pardew but Faye Downey. We have very fit squad that can do battle for full 90minutes every game and we have very fit and very good bench as well. Unless Colo definitely will leave in summer then I don’t see why we need to buy CB. Unless we sold Ober and Marv, we don’t need to buy more wingers. If we buy more than we need then there will be a lot of unhappy players in the squad, because all of them are aiming for first 11 spot and they are all fit to play. I won’t be surprised if we only bought one or two players this january (if noone leaves), and it will be correct decission.

• 67 toonincheek // Dec 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Remys next bail hearing is February – that will complicate any possible deal in January.

• 68 Jail for Ashley // Dec 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Santon,
    Even if Collo doesn’t leave we need an upgrade on STaylor, ie somebody who can play more than 14 games a season and can at least engage half his brain in the penalty area.

• 69 Dannyo // Dec 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM

A little over a couple of weeks now and all sorts of ITK’s will be popping up, hounded for it, then taken into the warmth by people with goldfish memory.

Looking forward to it! :)

• 70 Ian Toon // Dec 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Graeme // Dec 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    With Moncur and Burton/ McNamee in the back four. Researching I note the number of clean sheets kept in London against Arsenal in 0-0 draws year on year it seemed as I recall.

I have quite a collection of John Gibson’s books which are great historical quick reads.

What about the 3 cup wins in 5 years of the 1950′s. Might be a good talking era for our overseas fans as well.
    Great to read about the history of our great team.
    HWTL.

• 71 Rotonda heights // Dec 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Jail

Spot on about Saylor. Hope to god we don’t renew his contract.

• 72 Hatem's better than Messi // Dec 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM

lol Love Bills-son taking affront to the insults.
    All he does is attack other people.

previous post: Alan Pardew Has Done A Brilliant Job At Newcastle