I Would Like Us To Win The FA Cup – It’s Possible

Philippe Albert,  the former Newcastle defender in the 1990s, who played under Kevin Keegan in that great Entertainers side,  has been interviewed in the Chronicle today and he reminisces about the time he played for Newcastle, and how great it was.

philippe albert today

Philippe Albert today – Belgian TV  football pundit

Philippe Albert is now working as a pundit for Belgian TV, and the former Newcastle player also runs a very successful fruit and vegetable company

He was delighted with Newcastle’s 1-0 win at Old Trafford last Saturday, in what was the first win there since David Craig, Iam McFaul, Malcolm MacDonald, Frank Clark  Tony Green, John Tudor and Stewart Barrowclough were in the side on Saturday, 12th February. 1972  managed by Joe Harvey – when we simply tore the Red Devils apart 2-0. 😀

Philippe talked about some of the games he played for Newcastle at Old Trafford:

“We came close a few times,”  “I actually started to think back to some of the games I played at Old Trafford when I heard the result on Saturday.”  “It’s never easy to win there. The players should feel proud of what they did.”

“I enjoyed the battles we had. They were at the time one of the best teams in the world and I think we managed a few draws and there were some really close games.”  “They are not the same now Sir Alex is gone, but we should still celebrate the win and the move on.”

“And, remember, you still have to be a good team to win in Manchester.”“I remember how important Christmas was in England. The games over that period could really affect your season.”  “If Newcastle can keep this run going, win a few more games, then they can really go into 2014 with the hope of getting European football.”

“The fans deserve that. They deserve the best, if I’m honest. Every week they are there and it’s a privilege to play for them.”  “It was a special time in my life and it will be special for the players now if they can keep this run going because they will be loved.”

“I would like us to win the FA Cup. We should be trying to do that every season. I have always thought that was possible.”

Albert is certainly a big Newcastle fan these days, and he makes sense – and after winning the FA Cup in 1951, 1952 and 1955, we haven’t won it since, and with the team we have at the moment – we can beat any team in Britain on any given day – there’s no good reason we cannot do very well this season in the Cup – starting in the 3rd round at home to Cardiff City in early January.

And we have to think that with no European games this season, manager Alan Pardew will play almost his strongest side in each tie, and you never know – we could actually win something next May – and wouldn’t that be something.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• WWSBRD

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Ah the many things NUFC should be doing

• Tsunki

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Probably most fans enduring vision of Albert is the cheeky grin and wild celebration after he dinked that ball over Schmeichel. That was a manure win to be proud of.

“I would like us to win the FA Cup. We should be trying to do that every season.”

That’s a Mag talking.

• Shadow_Shearer

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Philippe Albert, what a legend. I still remember his chip lob over peter schmeichel in the 5-0 win. He hasn’t 4gotten us, and we won’t 4get him!!

• Shadow_Shearer

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Now that we have da confidence 2 beat anybody in the premiership, hopefully this will be our year.

• swemag

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Yesterday someone on here was saying that we are where we should be and for that reason there is nothing to congratulate ourselves for or indeed the leadership of the club.

What one could say is that the same people were probably saying that our squad was crap in the summer and is now saying that where we are should be expected as we have an very good squad. Where is the logic in that?

Further, a lot of clubs invested heavily and should then have a better squad than us and be well beyond us, true? I am talking about such hard hitters like Norwich, Southampton, West Ham and maybe even our beloved Sunderland. Lets put Tottenham in there as well. Not sure what their targets were but with the investment they did in comparison to what we did and how crap our squad was one would think that all those teams should be within the top ten and we should logically be fighting off relegation. Correct?

SOuthampton is doing good. Tottenham is above us but I would argue that most Spurs fans are dissapointed.

I think my point being, most teams should be happy if they reach their targets, because it would appear that most teams don’t, if all teams reached their targets the top ten would probably have to contain 15-16 teams.

I will agree with some posters here that we are overreliant on some individuals, such as Cabaye and Remy, and so far we have been fairly lucky woth injuries to these key guys. And in all honesty, I think this is a bigger factor than the whole Europa League involvement to why we are doing significantly better this year. Last year Cabaye was out for lengthy periods and did not really hit form when he came back, we did not have a Remy at all, even an in form Cisse does not have the same impact as Remy has.

So what can be done?

Sign up Remy at any cost. Screw the wage structure. Keep Cabaye at any cost and get a second guy that can do the same job. Anita is good but is not the answer to that.

In companies you make budgets, you can have a negative scenario, a realistic scenario and a positive scenario. I must say that where we are now falls into the positive scenario, I could not imagine us doing any better than what we are doing. The team is delivering fantastically, long may it continue and I hope we find those extra players in January.

• Graeme

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I was there for the Final against Liverpool. We set off on the Railway Special at some stupid time very late Friday night or early Saturday morning and took about 7 hours to get to London.
    We then played something like a 17-a-side game in Hyde Park before going for breakfast – the Dorchester couldn’t seat us all – yes, we did ask lol.

At Wembly, you could just about see the pitch, the atmosphere was truly electric in the build up to kick-off, then, as in so many games, Newcastle simply didnt turn up and Liverpool won without problem.

We then spent what seemed like another day to get back to Newcastle. I remember walking into the house in West Denton, completely dejected and my Dad said to me – “Never mind son, you have done something I never have” I said “Whats that Dad” and he said, “I have been to Wembly 3 times, but I have never seen Newcastle lose” “You managed it on your first trip” I dont think I have ever felt as bad supporting NUFC as I did that day.

I went back to Wembly the following year to see us lose against Man Shitty, Tuart scored their winner. It was bad, but it wasnt as bad as losing the FA Cup.

• bills-son

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Pardew is the second longest serving Prem manager after Wenger.

Doesn’t mean he is a great or good manager but it does mean that 95% of the time a team changes its manager the next fella doesn’t cut the mustard.

When the likes of Our Toon say Pardew is mediocre and we can do far better – who with? Guardiola, Mourinho or. …????

History tells us Martinez and Laudrup are more likely to fail than succeed. Someone on here pointed out that Laudrup has only won 8 out of his last 25 Prem games.

• magpie6699

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM

One point that gets overlooked when people hark back to the KK management days of the 90s and even SBR’s time ( bless him – great man and great manager). Some say with the team we have now we should be challenging for the top – and that the reason we aren’t is because of our manager. BUT, and it’s a big but, when we were finishing 2nd, 3rd etc. our main challengers were Man Utd and Arsenal. Man City were nowhere and even Chelski had not invested the huge sums of money they did on players and wages, while Liverpool and Tottenham were likewise not as big spenders as they are now. In other words, it’s a different playing field now – our best chance of success was the season we narrowly missed out to Man U thanks to their fantastic closing run, And at one time when teams put out weaker teams in the League Cup, ythey really were weaker. Not now -look at how much the “reserve” Man City team that played us cost!

• Ciaran

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

The fact that Pards is the 2nd longest severing PL manager says more about MA’s lack of ambition than it does about Pards’ ability.

Seriously, some people are thick beyond belief.

• Ciaran

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM

As for winning the FA Cup? I’m pretty sure some illustrious teams like Brighton or Stevenage will have something to say about that…

• bills-son

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Graeme,

Great story about the Liverpool final.

My brother who was an apprentice at Burnley at the time got me and my Dad tickets but they were in the Liverpool end. I swopped mine at Wembley before the match but my Dad wouldn’t because there were forged tickets doing the rounds and he wouldn’t take the chance.

After I went through the turnstiles there were fans behind the gates asking for the stub so they could climb over and blag their way in. I handed mine over not realising that I had to the show the stub to the steward at the top of the steps before going on the terraces. I nearly got hoyed out but a few fans told the steward to fk off and he let me in. Would never happen these days with seats!

As you say the match was a huge let down especially after that fantastic semi-final against Burnley at Hillsborough.

After the match my Dad didn’t turn up at our meeting point. He’d been taken on the pi$$ by Liverpool supporters and he turned up five minutes before the bus left back to Wallsend a few hours later.

Hard to believe it was 40 years ago this May.

• santonthenewmaldini

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM

As good as Keegan was If we had have had a more experienced and more tactically sound manager we would have won the league when we had Keegans team he bottled it big time !

Imagine if we had got Sir Bobby when Keegan left that first time I think we would have dominated for a few seasons

Which brings me to Pardew he is doing well at the moment but I always feel that this squad could do better with another manager say Garcia or Benitez would have worked wonders

As it stands Pardew is here to stay under Ashley especially as we are doing well I just wish Ashley would properly back him with some quality players Pardew seems to like players in the Sissoko/Tiote mould who can bully teams but still have quality I would have no problems with another 1 or 2 of them in January

• bills-son

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Ruddy,

Some people are thick beyond belief?

There you go again, first in with the personal insults.

Which flies completely in the face of a pompous statement that you made on your own blog that whikst you might disagree with other opinions you never resort to personal insults.

What an absolute total BShitter you are.

• Graeme

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Bills, I made the semi at Sheffield, against Burnley. My old man was a copper in the leases end in those days and we managed to get him a ticket as well, so he drove us all down.

That goal Supermac scord, running half the pitch with Noble hanging off his neck is simply unforgettable – the man was built like a bloody elephant. Him and Hibbert just knew exactly what the other was going to do – what a partnership they were lol

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Pardew being the second longest serving manager is by and large irrelevant. Before this summer he was behind Martinez who led his Wigan team to a glorious relegation. Just cause changing a manager doesn’t always work doesn’t mean that sticking with one does work.

As for us, we are where I expected us to be, I predicted anywhere in the 6th to 10th bracket (City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool were my top 5, then us, Man U, Everton and Saints in no particular order). Because we are 7th do I think Pardew is doing a wonderful job? Nope, okay, but nothing special – about right with what we have in the squad.

I wanted rid of Pardew, and am yet to be convinced by him, but for me it is pleasing that he seems to have learnt and has improved the style of play this year. It isn’t easy for someone to change style and go in a different direction after more than 10 years of doing it one way. So credit to him for having a go. Anyone expecting instant results is deluding themselves. What we have seen though is improvement, and after he was kept that was all I asked for, hell, he even took responsibility for the Swansea performance.

A long way to go, but he has shown signs of learning, long may it continue.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

As for Martinez, he is in a very similar spot to where Moyes’ Everton side finished last season. Let’s not go jumping the gun just yet on that one.

• swemag

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

@ santonthenewmaldini

Garcia would have been a dream. Imagine the players he could attract and most likely Cabaye would have signed up for life.

I guess the issue with that is that he and Ashley might disagree on a few issues. We know that people that disagree with Ashley have no place in our club.

Unfortunate.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Previous thread people seemed to be daydreaming about expensive and unlikely to sign defenders…. well I might as well throw my Football manager hat on and say Papadopoulos from Schalke. Round 10million gets him, young, talented, confident, strong, aggressive and by all accounts a bit of a nut job. Just the type of centre half nobody likes to play against.

• bills-son

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Lil,

You are missing my point.

I said being the second longest serving manager doesn’t really say anything about Pardew but it does say that the vast majority of managerial appointments do not work out. That was my point.

Our Toon and those who think that changing Pardew is a dead cert for moving forward fail to say who can guarantee that.

• swemag

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

West Ham looking to sign Oba Martins. Wow, they must be excited in east London these days.

I am just really excited that Allardyce has no connection what so ever to our club.

• jimmysmith

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Trouble with being objective and level headed is that on that one day when we actually win something, you would doubtless be all dispassionate and philosophical about it all.

Better a perpetual manic cycle of hope and despair I think, knowing that on that one fateful day, when that elusive trophy actually arrives, you’ll go suitably nuts and inevitably shed those unstoppable tears of utter relief and unbridled joy.

They’d better fuggen do it soon though, while I’ve still got a flame to fan.

• bills-son

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Graeme,

At Hillsborough I was in the Burnley section of the stand and I’d painted an old black jacket with white stripes and I had the scarf, hat, rattle the lot. I got dogs of abuse off the Burnley supporters and boy wax it sweet when Supermac knocked that second one in. He turned towards the stand I was in as he ran back towards the Newcastle end and I can remember going absolutely bloody daft.

One of the best days in my time supporting the Toon.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Bills,
    A lot of managerial changes may not appear to be of benefit, but who knows what would have happened if the owner had stuck with the departed man.

Personally I think Sunderland would have been relegated last year if they hadn’t sacked O’Neill, Di Canio kept them up so it was a success of sorts.

Impossible to say whether it improves or not in most cases. The best time to replace a manager is when you plateau, but it is hard to justify doing that as a chairman. Southampton did it well last year with Pocchettino, despite the outrage in the media, Pocchettino has improved them. Ashley did this with Hughton to an extent (although I think behind the scene disagreements may have contributed), maybe when he thinks we have plateaued he will do it again.

I agree, there is no guarantee any new manager will do better, but that doesn’t men we shouldn’t want and aspire for better. If Pardew can continue to better himself then no reason to get rid at the minute.

• Sazzer

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Super Hero Line up for Saturday:
    GangsterTim
    DePirate Batman Sonic the Hedgehog Mickey Mouse
    Sissoko Superman Tiote Goofy
    Shola-yihaa! SpiderMan2

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Sazzer,
    Much against my normal train of thought, I’d give HBA a starting spot in place of Cabaye and see how he gets on. Saints will look to dominate play, much lke Swansea so our ball retention will be crucial. I think having that extra midfielder is the way to go.

• wolfshead@toon

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM

bills

some people have become so entrenched they cant change their opinion as it would look like they are admitting they are wrong just let them carry on their crusade mate

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Wolfshead,
    I think it is far too early to say anyone’s views on Pardew are wrong. We have had some great results, but some absolute shockers as well. Similarly, some great spells of play, but also some terrible ones.

• bills-son

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Lil,

Every team in the Prem bar Arsenal has had some shockers this season.

We aren’t alone.

• Belgian

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I’m a Newcastle fan because of Phillipe Albert.
    Even though we haven’t won anything i am still grateful for Newcastle signing the first Belgian in the premier league.
    It became an important part of my life.
    Can’t wait to see them play again.
    Howay the lads!

• pottsclock

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Whether you love or hate Pardew, think he is or isn’t good enough for us or whatever…
    One question.
    Is he the best ENGLISH manager in the EPL? He is the highest by league position and the next two being Bruce at Hull in 12th and then our Hughton (who I class as English even though he played for Ireland) in 14th.
    I am not suggesting anything by this other than it does not paint a good picture of English managerial talent coming through.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM

@ bills

I think even they have against Villa fist game of the season at home .

I am loving the Premier League this year as it is so unpredictable ( apart from the Mackems losing 🙂 ) and even the so called big four are in and around each other with only a couple of points between them, us and even second .

Leagues like Germany, Spain, France & Italy have two or three real quality teams at the most but the rest of the league for the most part are pretty average. I sometimes wonder how teams like us, Everton & Southampton would fair in other countries ? .

The PL may not have the best team or teams in world football, but it is certainly the most entertaining, unpredictable and has more quality throughout .

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Bills,
    That doesn’t make it okay and acceptable though does it??

• jasper

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM

In common with others I think MA has done some pretty stupid things, mostly appointments, with Dennis Wise probably topping the bill, but I do think he has learnt some lessons.
    I also suspect he was totally humiliated by the repudiation he received after he tried to be one of the lads early on and I think it no surprise that he has gone into his shell and hasn’t emerged since it all went pear shaped with relegation.

But does he want to win the PL? Of course he does. He wants to be top dog. But he isn’t ever going to spend money in a scattergun fashion like Chelsea or ManC. He knows that he can’t compete in a slugfest of marquee signings against Abramovich or the Arabs. So every signing has to count.

Arsenal is the model he wants to follow and he is going to stick to it.

Will we buy in Jan? We should strengthen the squad…….BUT…….
    Look at Arsenal again. Wenger had been under pressure to spend big for several seasons but until he signed Ozil he had generally kept the cheque book closed. Why? For the reason, as he said, that the right players were not available.
    Sure we would be a much better team with a strong CF such as Lukaku. Or Benteke. But they”re NOT AVAILABLE.

The danger inherent in splashing the cash is evident with Spurs this season. What have they spent with the Bale money, £80m? Not exactly setting the league on fire.

We have been linked to a lot of players over the last couple of years – Maiga, van WW, Carroll, N’Zogbia, Ruiz, Bony etc. More dodged bullets than missed opportunities there.

Yes they bought five players in Jan but these were not panic buys. They were players we had been following for some time and were intended as summers signings. But the league position forced them to bring them forward

So will we sign a CF, CB or attacking MF in January? I think that the plan is to fill one or more of these positions – but only if the right player is available. I believe that the strategy is to bring in quality player(s) and not journeymen to plug holes.

We have done well with the first team signings of the last few seasons (putting Obertan to one side, who was an AP driven aberration). In order to go forward patience is the name of the game. Let’s not waste money in January that could be better spent well in the summer.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Can anyone point me in the direction of evidence that Pardew and nobody else recommended Obertan with Carr having no input, and that every other signing is down to Carr.

Amalfitano has flopped, so surely he must have been a player Pardew wanted rather than Carr….. Or is the Obertan stuff just wild speculation?

• martoon

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Bills & Graeme – Aye I remember the cup finals – one thing you have to say about the scousers then was they were great supporters and were buying all the Geordies commiseration drinks.
    The Man City final I was right behind the goal that Alan Gowling equalised in, I was sure we would go on to win it until that makem’s flukey overhead kick 😉

• Blaydon-Toon

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Loving the old FA CUP stories not quite old enough to remember them but I did go to both finals against Arsenal and MAN UTD great days out but we did not turn up in either ! Would have been nice to at least celebrate a goal !

• 70TWO

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM

“Seriously, some people are thick beyond belief.”

How to win respect and influence people, never going to bring about any change with that attitude.

• bills-son

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

70TWO

And that comment from someone who has stated on his blog that he might differ on opinion but never stoops to personal insults.

The reality is the exact opposite as he has proven yet agsin tonight.

He’ll be back on soon trying to intellectualise an excuse.

• JackButler

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

there was a full interview that someone posted on here when Obertan signed with Carr saying that he had nothing to do with the deal and it was Pardew’s wish to sign the player. I’m sure it’s still out there somewhere if you want to go look for it

• Cool Hand Luke

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Bills, hes a jumped up kid with an overinflated ego and zero integrity, don’t worry about him.

On Albert, he was one of the main reasons I fell in love with the Toon in my teenage years, his chip vs Man UTD was no one off, hes scored a few crackers for us. I’m surprised he didn’t play more often, given Keegan’s gung ho approach.