The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sports Direct Shares Plunge In Value

1:00 pm, Thursday, December 12th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 47 Comments

Sports Direct International half-year results missed targets of some analysts, and after the results were reported, the share prices dropped by as much as 10% today.

mike ashley  -6208247

Mike Ashley – Newcastle owner also runs Sports Direct

And because of the previous excellent results of Sports Direct – the expectations of some analysts had been raised – but the company did not reach those elevated targets.

In the six months being reported, the sports retail company increased profits by 17% to £146.2M in the six months to October 27 – which is not too bad at all.

Newcastle United owner Mr Ashley owns a majority share in the company he founded in 1982, and was the sole owner until the company went public back in March, 2007, and from some of those proceeds – which made him a Billionaire, Mike bought Newcastle United.

And the stock has been on the FTSE (Financial Times-Stock Exchange) 100 Index since September, following a 70% increase in its share price this year.

It seems the stock was in a sell-off,  as investors sold to lock in what have been significant profits this year.

And Mike Ashley continues to cause controversy at Newcastle, and his latest weird move is to charge journalists for interviewing the Newcastle players , which is something that has never been done in the Premier League.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press Conference

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dannyo // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM

@Ian Toon
    Maybe I do need to have another look, cause I really didn’t catch that part.

• 2 wolfshead@toon // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM

it could be a token charge like 10p or something haha

• 3 martoon // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Repost:
    Ciaran – obviously completely changing the name of the team is much worse than the stadium name but I meant a tweak to the team name is not as bad as completely renaming the stadium!

• 4 G // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM

@3, I disagree martoon, there are not that many teams these days who use the name ‘United’, that are trully united teams. It’s a far more important part of our heritage than the stadium would be.

• 5 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

martoon

My point was that I agreed with you, tweaking the team name is not as bad as changing the stadium name. Yet Hull fans have stood up to their owner over this tweak while our fans did nothing about the stadium name change.

We don’t have the best fans in the world, we have the most apathetic, some of which do not even realise that when Wonga’s sponsorship deal is up, SJP could be sold to the highest bidder.

Embarrassing.

• 6 toonincheek // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Ciaran -

Did you really just say that “we have the most apathetic (fans in the world)”

• 7 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Toonincheek

Pretty sure I did.

• 8 magpie6699 // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Ciaran – really? The Hull fans “stood up” to the owner and achieved what? I understand the application to change the team’s name has gone forward.
    On the other hand nobody but nobody was prepared to call the stadium anything other than SJP except for the media who could have been subject to legal proceedings; the Council said no street or other names would change and there was a hell of an outcry.. Do you think if there had been no fuss or opposition that Wonga would have offered the sop of keeping it as SJP?

• 9 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Magpie6699

Oh we really showed Ashley who was boss by not calling it the Sports Direct Arena. We should be so proud of ourselves. Our fans did nothing. They didn’t get off their arses to demonstrate against the decision. Hull may not succeed, but they are still trying.

• 10 magpie6699 // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM

On the contrary, we have succeeded whereas both the Hull fans have failed.

• 11 Mister Tuff // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Ian Toon – I hardly see how my referring to a couple of movie characters – who are described as dim witted slackers by others – is twisted into me condoning abuse. Have you not watched the Bill and Ted movies.
    It was apparent from the outset that it was a joke – if others cannot see that I am truly amazed. Some folks need to take a humour pill. Better having a laugh sometimes as opposed to deliberately being “offended” by the slightest thing. Chill — you know it make sense -otherwise I may need to administer to you a damn good thrashing. In the meantime please accept my card:-

• 12 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Magpie6699

WE did not succeed. WE did not achieve anything because WE did not actively protest. Instead, in order to get our stadium name back WE had to be associated with a unscrupulous money lender. Great success…

• 13 martoon // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM

G @4 – But if a new owner was willing to heavily invest in the team would changing, say, United to Magpies be a price worth paying?

• 14 pottsclock // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM

There’s a massive difference between these two things:

1. A sponsorship deal to temporarily change a stadium’s name which has a defined timeline
    2. An irrevocable change to the title of a club which in turn affects the history books and everything associated with the club (away games, memorabilia etc.)

The two are no where comparable. Ideally do neither, but the former is clearly aimed at generating revenue. The latter is purely an indefensible whim of the owner.

We play at SJP, irrespective of any label on the stadium. Everyone knows that and it won’t change till we move.

• 15 bills-son // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Wow …. we are the most apathetic fans in the WORLD !!!

Stated not just once, but twice.

What a monumentally pompous and derogatory statement that is. Anybody agree with him?

• 16 Ian Toon // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Mr Tuff- I was not referring to that – as you well know! A simple apology is beyond those lacking emotional intelligence. Pleased you’ve adopted the ” you know it makes sense” mantra – Oscar had something to say about that as well.

I like your calling card. But kindly remember when you lay down with dogs you must expect ……..Your judged on the company you keep I was always told as a kid – just a thought! From a youngster to the more learned.

• 17 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Any attempt to remove the stadium name for monetary gain showed how much contempt Ashley has for the culture and heritage of this club.

He quantifies things that you cannot put a price on. As it stands, while we may still play at SJP, we have our great stadium adorned with tacky SD signs at no cost to Ashley or his tacky sweatshop, which sort of negates the claim that these decisions are taken to financially benefit the club.

• 18 magpie6699 // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM

bills-son – if I’ve told Ciaran once I’ve told him 50,000 times – don’t exaggerate!

• 19 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Bills

You really are a boring little man.

• 20 Mister Tuff // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Ian Toon – seeing that you are in “commenting mode” -do you think an apology would be due to a supporter being (falsely) told that he was not a proper fan and that he wanted the Toon to get beat.
    Come on now -no equivocations -a simple answer will do. We cannot have two sets of rules dependent upon who were are.

• 21 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM

And obviously when someone claims ‘we have the best fans in the world’ they do not literally believe that we are better supporters than every other club in the world, it is merely a phrase demonstrating pride in our support. Likewise, when I say ‘we have the most apathetic’ it is a phrase demonstrating my frustration with how apathetic our support is.

Did not think I would have to explain semantics or hyperbole on the blog.

• 22 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Magpie6699

Very droll :P

• 23 Hatem's better than Messi // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Wow can’t believe you two are still going at it.

Is this the same spat that kicked off three hours ago …. lol … get a life the pair of you.

Log out and go for a pint. ffs.

• 24 wolfshead@toon // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM

ian

just hit tuff with a cyber duelling glove as id like to see you two duelling at dawn in old eldon sq gardens i wonder what the weapons of choice would be :-)

• 25 Hatem's better than Messi // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

If it meant we sold zillions of shirts in Asia and the profits paid for a new top CF.

I wouldn’t care less if we became Newcastle Magpies.

It’s when he flogs the stadium and builds one on the outskirts somewhere we need to shout.
    Or he could flog the lot and move us to … somewhere darn sarf.
    Welling Garden City Magpies.

lol

• 26 tarie4 // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM

ciaran

“We have our great stadium adorned with tacky SD signs at no cost to Ashley or his tacky sweatshop”
    legally Ashley owns the club, if i was in Ashley’s position no way would i pay for advertising, after all i did give the club and interest free loan. even if that loan is attached to the selling price of the club. like guys really. if u were in Ashley’s shoes would u pay for the SD signs adorned ar SJ?? maybe a few. But most wouldnt. ciaran i understand ur studying law mate. i encourage u to be more subjective in reasoning and judgements. U will see u will garner more surpport, not only for ur contributions on this blog, but for ur call for T4C. but hey u dont give a rats *** what anyboy thinks of u here so yah.

• 27 JAMSHA // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM

GOOD MOVE BY M.A ATLEST THESE LAZY MEDIA WONT WRITE CRAP … LET THEM STAY AWAY FOR OUR CLUB..

• 28 Mister Tuff // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM

wolfshead – afternoon my good man. Did you answer my question about the Chateau Mouton Rothschild which I asked the other night.

You raise an interesting prospect -a cyber duel.
    Alas gone are the days when a gentlemans’ honour could be established with a fine duelling pistol or indeed the thrust of a rapier into a cads’ lily liver. Or indeed the more pugnacious means of fisticuffs following the Queensbury Rules (a damn good thrashing). I am proficient at all of the above.
    Unfortunately, I despair and think that Ian Toons’ choice would be handbags at dawn.

• 29 JackButler // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Can people please get a grip of themselves.

We should never……………and I repeat NEVER out the name of the club, the stadium name for the sake of profit.

Our history, heritage is worth far more than any amount of money

• 30 LEROI // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I can see nobody gives a shizzle about sports direct share here hahaha!
    I’m just going to put my changes forward for saturday. i would use anita as cabaye and hoy shola back in upfront because its the same team that won 4 in a row just with anita acting in cabayes role. i think as little disruption as possible is key to us getting another win. i know its the same team that lost to swansea more or less but that’s still the team i would like to see.

• 31 JackButler // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM

The sports direct share price dropped after Ashley sold another chunk of his shares after stating earlier in the year that he would not sell any more shares.

This was reported a few weeks ago

• 32 LEROI // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Is this ongoing privileged chateux rothschild wine lovers thing an odd sort of russell brand foppish joke or do we really have yuppy toon fans?

• 33 wolfshead@toon // Dec 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM

tuff

yes i was a butler to the 8th earl of bermondsey known as dave to his friends he had a well stocked wine cellar to which i secretly availed myself of the many fine vintages as dave kept it purely for show preferring skol super strength here he is quaffing said ale in the drawing room http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2010/8/27/1282933946470/Dead-drinker-006.jpg

• 34 roy // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Ciaran son you should have seen the SJP before John Hall set about it, the Gallowgate end had an open sewer for a toilet the facilities were 3rd world at best. So a few tacky signs that mean nothing to most people watching the match in one of the best stadiums in the land!

• 35 G // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM

@13, sorry for the slow reply, meetings n stuff. In response, No. I believe our integrity as a team is worth far more than short term investment.

• 36 Ben3arfa // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM

this is a NUFC blog not Mike Ashley’s stock watch thank you very much Ed

i couldnt care less about that greedy fat turds money since OUR club will never see any of it

• 37 Ian Toon // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Mr Toon- No I wouldn’t seek one. It could not be taken seriously and therefore would not reasonably cause a fence or a brick wall – you know what I am saying. I find rudeness towards other people more annoying to be honest. I saw a young bloke bundle into the back of an elderly man standing just inside a London tube as the doors were closing. He wasn’t going to pick the guy up almost as if he wasn’t there and it wasn’t his fault. I wasn’t the only one who was angry. Sorry it’s an ego issue and anything that absurd is best ignored. Without wishing to cause offence your taking yourself too seriously – you did ask for my opinion- you won’t make the same mistake again-LoL.

I have always seen you as a post Fairs cup fan- glory hunter. Or so you thought-LOl. That’s enough for me just to ignore you when your being grumpy.!!

• 38 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Roy
    Well said and it took you f**n ten minutes to get to them squeze threw the crowd doon aal the bloody steps or through the ‘garden’ before you joined the line outside the bog then another bloody ten minutes to get up the ruddy steps.

Still better than when I went to Hampden Park. Clever buggas those Jocks use to take at least two cans of beer to the turnstiles the Fuzz would search you – dump a can in the bin – let you in with the other.
    Half way through the game you would feel a wet warm feeling down the back of the legs.

I you’ve guessed it instead of going to the bogs drink the beer from the can pee in it then tip the contents out.

• 39 Mister Tuff // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

LEROI @32 good afternoon my good man what are you talking about in you post. You give two alternatives in your post:-
    1.Privileged Chateau (Mouton) Rothschild wine lovers or
    2. Yuppy Toon fans.
    You clearly omit to mention gentleman supporters like myself who also enjoy a fine tipple and those in the employ of gentleman (such as wolfshead) who have learned about fine wines during the course of their duties.
    In the meantime please accept my card:-

• 40 Ciaran // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Tarie

Your concerns are noted but I don’t think I will be taking any lessons from someone who refuses to spell properly. Not an insult, merely an observation. You will find that posts directed at improving someone else’s approach in a debate will garner more respect if they are properly written.

You are right though, I do not give a toss what people think about me. I will give my opinions in the way that I see fit, and will not tailor them to engender support from people I do not know. I am not involved in the organisation of T4C so my contributions are irrelevant in so far as they are separate from that organisation.

• 41 Ian Toon // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Mr Tuff- I was not declaring my opinion to myself it was for you!
    Travelling and wanted to get it away!

• 42 martoon // Dec 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM

My initial question about whether you would accept a name change was to spark a debate not start a blog war – calm down lads (& lasses).
    Roy – Aye them toilets were disgusting. I used to go with my wife (who was my GF then), she is not tall so we used to go about 1 – 2 hours early so she could get a place either at the front or on a crush barrier. No walking in 5 minutes before the start then.

• 43 Transfer Sage // Dec 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Stadium name isn’t as big an issue as club name. The club doesn’t change but teams can move stadiums to progress. I agree neither is ideal but changing the team name is a disgrace and there is no reason for it.

As for hull failing well their owner said he would sell up if fans say they aren’t happy with him, whether he does or doesn’t is a different matter, and ultimately fans can’t do anything about what an owner does, it’s his club. They can protest and stay away, build media support, etc but if the owner won’t listen to any of that it’s difficult.

• 44 Mister Tuff // Dec 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Ian Toon – @41 -thank you for clarifying who the post was intended for -I would never have assumed you were sending it to yourself – I mean who would do such a thing.
    Two points – I knew you would not give a straight answer and secondly I perhaps should not have asked your opinion.

• 45 DokToon // Dec 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM

ciaran @40,

well, i think i can put you under the table sir, what do you think of that? :)

• 46 toonluvva // Dec 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I wonder how much SD shares plunged after we found out which group England were in for the World Cup.

Had we been a seeded side with prospects for a good run in the world cup, SD would have been looking forward to flogging off lots of merchandise and hence the share price would have risen.

As it is, England looks unlikely to even get out of their group so the picture is bleaker for SD sales wise.

Of course, miracles do sometimes happen and if England do manage to make it to the last 16 there might be a late surge in sales.

• 47 Jeff from Benwell // Dec 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Ciaran
    You are not a Geordie
    Hence your opinions have no validity
    Do you not think you should join your countrymen in supporting the Bin-dippers or Manure.
    Glory hunters are the bane of the modern game.
    I feel so apathetic