The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Half Of Newcastle’s Transfer Policy Revealed

8:28 am, Friday, December 13th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Newcastle will keep to their policy of asking big money for any of their top players, and if bigger clubs come in over the January transfer window for the likes of Yohan Cabaye, as one example, they will need to meet Mike Ashley’s assessment of the player – which is high – some would say very high.

yohan cabaye warming up

Yohan Cabaye – it will take big money to buy this Newcastle player

Alan Pardew has given interviews leading up to the home game against Southampton tomorrow, and he was asked about selling players next month.

This is how the Newcastle manager answered that question:

“I would suggest they take a look at Mike Ashley’s record of selling players,”  “They’d have to spend a lot of money.”

“We’ve had a lot of plaudits, but we’ve had a talk about keeping our feet on the ground, and I am confident that is what this group of players will do.”

“The first half at Swansea is about the only time I have been a little disappointed with them recently.” “Other than that, we have been absolutely magnificent.”

Another player that clubs may come after next month is Papiss Cisse, but as we reported earlier today Alan says the striker is managing to cope with not being in the starting eleven, and the Senegal International is again looking sharp in training.

One the other side of the transfer front, we hope to see two or three top players come through the door next month, and we’d be disappointed if that doesn’t happen.

With Newcastle doing  so well in the league at the moment, now’s the time to strengthen the squad, and then bring say two or three more players in over the summer, and have a mini-clear out of some of the fringe players.

Then our squad for next season would be even stronger.

Note: South Shields local artist Robert Olley has a new painting out called “Derby Day Home” and it can be personalized so that any surname can be put on the striker’s shirt – the one scoring the goal – take a look.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Hatem's better than Messi // Dec 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM

A low cost striker in.
    Young goalkeeper?

I can’t see Ashley spending.

• 2 jimmysmith // Dec 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I think we’d need to shift a few first, before Ash would entertain the notion of buying, and even then only if there’s a bargain or a rough diamond to be had.

• 3 HullMag6 // Dec 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Oi Keyran dare you to say little rugby town if you come to the 2017 CITY of culture.

2 super league teams and Agent Bruces latest premiership project.

Might be an interesting window plus results – looking good for the season. But we will see. ….

• 4 HullMag6 // Dec 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I think (or is it hope?) That we may get some new faces paving the way for summer departures.

Potential replacements for colo, obertan etc.

Blank cheque wish: Micah Richards, Tom Ince, Luuk De Jong and another young forward (or the Ayew brothers)

• 5 James Keith // Dec 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Not that I want him to leave but Santon is a possibility for an outgoing player. He’d sell for a decent amount and we’ve got Haidara and Dummett to take his place.
    In terms of fringe players that we need to get rid of; Gosling, Amalfitano, Jonas, Obertan and Marveaux all need to be sold to free up wages for a stronger bench.

• 6 Anita the Legend // Dec 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM

James Keith

I’d agree with that mate. But, I actually don’t mind at all if Santon goes. I hope it’s not just me, but I me rally don’t think he had many defensive qualities, teams go at us down his wing just cause they know he’s s weakpoint. Plus even going forward he’s not “the best”, 100 times out of 100 he cuts into his right and the full backs know this. We really need a left-footed left back.

I actually don’t think he has improved much since joining and it’s a shame, cause he is actually a RB, wish he’d got his chance there instead of Simpson these last few seasons, but we never had a decent LB so it was difficult.

Don’t think we’d get any more than we paid for him either, but if take the 6mil back and push on Haidara and Dummet, I think competing with each other, they’d really blossom.

• 7 Shadow_Shearer // Dec 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Personally I’d be surprised if Mashley spent money with us being in the top 10. Remember the income revenue is always a year behind. Which means last year we wouldn’t have made as much by finishing 16th. He will want 2 keep the books balanced.
    The only way Mashley will spent is either if he seen a big bargain were he knows he can make profit, an investment. Or if we sold on somebody like cabaye or Santon which would fund other transfers.

• 8 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Dec 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM

It would surprise me if we actually have a “Transfer Policy ”

Everyday there is a different name appearing on here, while we all know, i think, that at the end of the day therewill next to no transfer activity in the January window? There will be much said but as usual we will get screwed around by other clubs and agents!

Like i said it would nice if there is any activity at all on that front, but dont, hold your breath?

previous post: Pardew – Newcastle Striker Looks Sharp And Ready