One Door Closed And Then A Big Club Called

Alan Pardew talked yesterday at his press conference, of his dismissal at Southampton in August, 2010,  after his side had walloped Bristol Rovers 4-0 away from home on 28th August of that year.

alan pardew southampton manager

Alan Pardew – when Saints manager

Alan simply didn’t get along with new owner and Chairman Nicola Cortese, and the Newcastle manager still seems to be a little upset by his dismissal down south, which were for non-football reasons:

“There’s a cliché that one door closes and another opens.”  “I had a door open for me which was perhaps unexpected, but you’ve still got to step through it and do the job, which I’ve managed to do at Newcastle.”

“For Southampton, it’s worked for them.”  “They first opened it to Dean Wilkins, actually, and it was a disaster.”  “But then they got Nigel Adkins and then Mauricio Pochettino, who has been terrific.”

Alan Pardew was fired after three games of the 2010-2011 season when the Saints had 4 points, but then Dean Wilkins lost two games as caretaker manager, before Nigel Adkins was signed from Scunthorpe United on September 10th.

And Nigel started to steady the ship and of course got them two successive promotions and they were into the Premier League, but then Nigel was fired last January, following a great 2-2 draw at Chelsea, and he found out he was sacked as he watched TV.

On December 7th, 2010, Alan Pardew was appointed manager at Newcastle United, after Chris Hughton had been ruthlessly fired by owner Mike Ashley.

Note: South Shields local artist Robert Olley has a new painting out called “Derby Day Home” and it can be personalized so that any surname can be put on the striker’s shirt – the one scoring the goal – take a look.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Pardew: “I am sure that come January a lot of teams will look at our situation. But they’d have to spend a lot of money to get him (Cisse)

Yeah he is only 3rd choice behind a loan signing with a rape case hanging and;

a striker who has 41 PL goals to his credit in 12 years.

Typical.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Would be Nice if Sissoko can get a Yellow card tomorrow. We can afford to miss him against Palace. Would be nice to have a clean slate against bigger teams.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Pardew sucks.

• martoon

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM

HD – Still not impressed with Pardew (or Shola) then?
    I actually think the Palace game will be tough as they have the Pullis effect.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Marts

How long b4 the 4 Yellows become redundant

• martoon

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM

HD – Sorry that’s gone over my head – the 4 yellows?

• toonincheek

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yeah.
    Lets hope Sisso scores a late goal, to put
    the result beyond doubt, and takes off his
    shirt to celebrate!!

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Yeah, when 5 yellows don’t bring a 1 match ban. 26th dec is it?

• 70TWO

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Re-posted:
    There are three factors that make a successful football club, the players, the manager and the owner; obviously these three must be perfectly meshed together or any weakness and eventually the wheels will come off. Look at the last three years at NUFC, 1) the owner was perceived to be under question, the team / manager got to 5th to counteract this weakness; 2) the team was perceived to be under strength, the owner brought in players (belatedly); 3) the manager was perceived to be under question; the owners and players have shown their confidence in him.

My point is that when looking at a Manager from another club there are two other factors that create good/bad results and it does not necessarily mean that a successful Manager will automatically continue to be successful if the they do not mesh well with the players and owner. For example the change in staff at MU and the weakness in the playing squad are weighing down on Moyes. Whereas Martinez is able to continue being successful because of the strong bond between the squad and club.

There are still plenty of questions about NUFC, Ashley, the Joeker, Pardew, Coaches and depth of squad. When things go wrong it is apparent that it gets pulled back together, until the next time. This may be because the finances are kept tightly controlled, as the saying goes ‘pay peanuts, you get monkeys’ and the reflection that has on the owner. However, there is hope that the club as a business is becoming stronger and will be able to match passion of the fans in the not to distant future. So as long as those three cogs keep meshing together there will be success at NUFC.

• JAMSHA

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Southampton could be without seven first-
    team players through injury at Newcastle .
    Morgan Schneiderlin may not travel due to a
    pelvic complaint and, even if he does, is not
    fit enough for a full 90 minutes at St James’
    Park. Victor Wanyama , Nathaniel Clyne, Guly
    do Prado and Danny Fox are definitely
    sidelined, while Paulo Gazzaniga will again
    start in goal as Artur Boruc and back-up
    Kelvin Davis remain out.

if we dont win. . il …………

• cyprus

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

AP,
    you still seem upset about that dismissal, mate. So, here’s your chance to prove them wrong.
    On other articles of Ed’s: Lallana is not the only player to watch out for. Others, like Osvaldo, Rodriguez, Wanyama etc are equally dangerous. In fact, Southampton is a kick-axx team which has given most everyone a game this season.
    If we are to get any sort of result we need to be at our peak.
    On Cisse: Interesting how people have given up on him. I’m going to stick my neck out, like I did for Tiote: he needs a goal, then he’ll be back!
    PS. Come on, you guys who say he needs to learn the offside rule. At least 4 cancelled goals of his were legit. (One this year too, I forget when). Maybe the linesmen must learn the rule, in equal measure?

• Ciaran

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I must admit that I got it seismically wrong about Tiote and I am absolutely delighted that I have got it wrong as his performances are bringing a massive smile to my face recently, however, I am never shy in giving an audacious opinion. In my mind Cisse is a poor striker, and other than his 14 worldlies in the first 6 months he was here, he has been a very poor striker.

While I am more than happy to be proven wrong once again, I do not think Cisse is up to the standard of the PL and we would be doing well to recoup the 9 million we paid for him.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Cyprus,
    He was offside less than Benteke last year.

I backed Tiote, but with Cisse I think it is best or both parties if he moves on. We have been saying one goal will kick start him for a while – and he has scored that one goal several times, but never kicked on.

The one off his backside against WBA last yer, late winners against Fulham and Anzhi. If it was one goal and he would be firing again they are three that should have boosted him and done the trick.

I think if he moves, he will rediscover his goalscoring touch, but I struggle to see it happening here with the way our team currently sets up.

• 70TWO

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

That is an interesting stat about Cisse/Benteke but it eads on to ask which had the most possession / shots / passes also. Cisse does not have the requirements of a modern PL striker, he may be a magnificent no.9 that keeps defenders on their toes but does not have the ability to bring anything in addition to the team. However, if he started getting the ball in the back of the net again, no one would be complaining.

• wolfshead@toon

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM

i think i might have said this before but assley was a clown for letting ba go

• wolfshead@toon

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM

@14

did you write it then ciaran haha

• Ciaran

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Wolfs

No I didn’t 😛 Some people would think I’m arrogant enough to write an article and then post it on here saying it’s an ‘interesting read’ but I’m really not haha

• Ian Toon

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Lilongwe- Yes, just how long should we persevere with him. I identified him as an instinctive goalscorer, when he first came on as a sub for Best and scored.

I do fear that as you say he’ll score a hatful of goals playing for someone else.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM

70Two,
    Cisse still has what it takes to be a top centre forward, but only if it is in a side tailored to his needs. Most centre forwards are the same. Even Shearer struggled to get goals when the team wasn’t set up to suit him. The way we setup, wither in the 442 with Shola and Remy, or in the 451/433 we had against Man U, Cisse isn’t really suited to either. Hence, I think he should be moved on and replaced, for both his and our sake.

Benteke was offside more than any striker in Europe’s top 5 leagues last season I think, so regardless of all the other stats, if anyone needs teaching the offside rle I’d say it could be him.

• Ciaran

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Lilo

In your opinion what formation best suits Cisse? I agree that he should be moved on because it is unacceptable that a supposed No 9 cannot play in a 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1. They are arguably 3 of the most used formations in world football.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Ian,
    I don’t fear that he scores goals if he moves on, if/when he does go he will go with my best wishes and I hope he does rediscover his scoring touch. Sadly, I just can’t see it happening here.

We have to bring in a striker in the Jan window, Remy likely to leave in the summer, Shola contract up and not really worth keeping on (despite me liking him), and Cisse not the right man for us. So a striker is crucial, if not 2 or we could face a huge problem in the summer. (Assuming Campbell, Armstrong and Gillihead don’t all become first team material by then)

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Ciaran,
    I think he could play in all those formations, but only if the rest of the team is tailored around him. At Newcastle, neither the style, or the side is built around him which he struggles with.

I’ll go back to Shearer as an example. Shearer struggled under Gullit because he was no longer the centre piece. Everything didn’t revolve around him. Robson when he took over immediately changed that so that all we did was play to suit Shearer – wingers who can cross, nippy and hard working players in around him to do his running for him. Cisse needs the same treatment, but I don’t think you can afford to do that for one player in the Premier league anymore.

• Ciaran

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Lilo

If Cisse was as good as Shearer then I would say let’s go for it, but Cisse is not an effective or efficient striker by any stretch of the imagination.

Even in a team tailored to him, he still tries to score the spectacular before the mundane. A proper poacher tries to score the ugly goals more so than the wonder strikes but that is not Cisse.

His hold up play is non-existent and he is exceptionally lazy. The only thing he can provide for a team is goals, and if he is not scoring then he is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM

• Ian Toon

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM

On. Cisse and not unlike Benteke they are almost trying too hard.
    Post Euro 1996 Shearer put his lack of goals leading up to the tournament as the very same.

I have a high regard for the guy but ideally want him to yet again make a name for himself with the toon.

They’re well short. Campbell needs regular football to toughen him up to the rigours of the PL Gosling is doing well at Blackpool and maybe he could feature in a part exchange deal for Tom Ince. Mind Gosling’s contract runs out I believe in the summer.

• 70TWO

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

You are very much right. I was attempting to point out that there is a difference between a miss timed offside and being stupidly off side. Players like T. Henry used their pace to get in behind or push up to give more space to players coming from deeper positions and was often caught offside. As this was part of his overall play, holding up the ball and passing, there was less scrutiny. Cisses’ attributes are more limited and therefore his continuous infringement is more magnified.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Ciaran,
    I don’t think you understood my post fully.

I’m not comparing his style of play or his ability to Shearer in the slightest. It is an example of how some strikers at certain times need teams tailored to suit them. As we are Newcastle fans, Shearer is the best example of this in recent times.

I also said that you can’t afford to do that for one player in the premier league anymore., I didn’t say that we should be trying this with Cisse.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I am not an expert.

But mark lawrenson has tipped us to lose 2-1
    and paul merson has tipped a 2-2

We are above Southampton in the table, playing at home after having won 4/5 against a injury plagued squad who have 1/12 points.

Can’t imagine the logic.

• 70TWO

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Can anyone put me right about Shearer, I know he holds the goal scoring record but all I can think of is 10 years and nowt to show for it. Was he unlucky with the rest of the squad, or was he ‘a’ cause of its fragmentation?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Ian,
    I’m not a huge fan of Tom Ince. A decent player certainly but hugely overhyped due to him being English and Paul Ince’s son. I’d much prefer we went and got Nick Powell. A far clever footballer, much more versatile, and a hardworker to boot. Everytime I have seen him in Europa this season he as looked excellent and always a threat.

Ince for Gosling, straight swap fine, but not if the fee is anything more than a couple of million – even that is pushing it. Straight swap works for both clubs as both players are out of contract at the end of the summer. (Although Blackpool would be entitled to compensation if he stayed in England/Wales)

• Ian Toon

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Lilongwe – Pardew made that very point- that we know have a number of different options with regard to how we choose to play. Your right that we do need a quality ST alternative to Remy.

Personally I would play both Anita and HBA tomorrow with Shola on the bench.

• Ian Toon

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Tom Ince is a better option than Zaha on loan. We’ll. have to disagree on his qualities.

• 70TWO

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Ian Toon

I know Messi was always thought of as being to small but his technique proved the doubters wrong. Do you think Campbell has what it takes for the PL? I am excited to see a homegrown player in the first team but he does not fit the archetype and does he have the technique?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM

70Two,
    I’m not sure anyone can put you right on that, all people have there is opinions and views. No one could state matter of fact one way or the other.

For me, I think there is an element of both. Certainly unlucky under Keegan, then unlucky with injuries as well which cost him and us. I think in his latter years he became like the grumpy old man of the club, despising the attitude of some of the younger players and because of that there was squad fragmentation. I remember the story of Bellamy parking in Shearer’s spot once and Shearer kicking off because he was the most important at the club, and should be shown more respect.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Ian,
    I agree he is a better option that Zaha on loan, but I don’t see him getting anymore game time than Sammi does.

As for tomorrow, despite being one of HBA’s biggest critics I agree he should come in for Cabaye in the only change from the Man U game. Southampton will do the same as Swansea and try and retain possession. We needed an extra body in midfield then, and I think we will again tomorrow.

• 70TWO

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Agree with thoughts about the game tomorrow and HBA, on the wing, proved he can retain possession plus tackle(!) And with the much lorded adaptability, Pardew can always bring on Shola to calm his own nerves.

• Ian Toon

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

On Campbell- He is somewhat of a bad track bully. He needs to work on his game when given close attention. He looks a better ” prospect ” than Chopra looked when blooded . He needs to play week in and out against better quality opposition.

On Ince- He was being double banked when playing on the wing for Blackpool and I noticed from TV that he’s currently playing more of a roving role. I personally think he would get more room in the PL because others will be given more attention. He’s got excellent close control, change of pace and an eye for a goal. Getting away from his father could well improve his temperament.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Ian,
    Not meaning to be picky, but the expression is Flat track bully. He certainly needs to go out and test himself/learn and develop his game.

Rumours are that St Mirren are hoping to have a deal in place so he can go up there immediately when the window is opened and be involved in their game on the second.

If that is the case, and the deal can be finalised I’d send him up now to train with them so he can hit the ground running for them, and hopefully bag goals and improve his game from the off.

• Ian Toon

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Your not picky but right!