Pardew – We Missed Two Massive Opportunities

It’s fair to say that if Loic Remy had been in his best goal-scoring form today, he would have had two fairly easy goals, one from a  chance in the first half and then one just after Rodriguez had equalized for Southampton in the second half, when he was presented with a golden opportunity to score by goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga.

Fabrizio Coloccini mike Williamosn Southampton+SMQ81_yjnnil

Fab Coloccini and Mike Williamson talking to ref today

Alan Pardew thought those two misses cost Newcastle today, as he said this to Sky Sports:

“It was a real Premier League game, good teams at it, but Southampton have got a great defensive record and we had two massive opportunities with Loic,”

“I thought Remy played well today, but those two you would expect him to score and at this level it would have made the difference.”  “The rest of the game was very, very tight – they had periods, we had periods – two good teams.”

“I thought Adam Lallana had an impact on the game, for sure, but having said that so did Hatem Ben Arfa, he could have won it for us at the end. ” “He made a few nice moments for us.”

“That’s what these players are paid to do if they are not in the team – come off the bench and make an impact.”

Loic Remy has been great for us this season so far, but he seems to gone off the boil just a little bit, and normally he would have scored with both the opportunities he had today, and we have to think of this result as 2 points lost.

Next Saturday’s game at Crystal Palace will not be easy either, as Palace were unlucky to go down 2-1 at Stamford Bridge today.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• asenski

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM

stupid pardew will you ever realize ben arfa has a different impact when start and when comes for last 20 mins??

• Malta Mag

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Saw the game here on the rock and at times we played some fast flowing football which was well worthy of our current league position. In days gone by we would have lost this so to draw wasn’t that bad a result no matter what some say on here. Love to see Anita finally cutting it in the Premier, it must embarrass those who reckoned he was too lightweight. Williamson has now made that position his own and it’s now a case of who he plays with, not if he plays.
    Long may Pardew reign over us!!!!

• scout

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Ed,
    Sweet Jesus the lad is due a few bad games.
    Off subject, I’ve been watching spender. Class show

• Uncertain Toon

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Repostage,

Manxpie,

I’ve seen goofy and sissoko swap quite a few times mate, but, alas, I do not have the DVD’s to answer your query! Apologies for that!
    I would have liked to see an attempt to shove it right up them from the off in the 2nd half mate so probably benny on first. Try and put the game to bed then cisse on when we’re in a comfortable position and get him up and running.
    Obviously that is an ideal situation and I appreciate they don’t come along very often for us!
    I reckon he brought Santon off coz he’s not doin as he’s told and ultimately ends up dropping a bollock.
    Not sure what Remy was trying to do, top corner for the crowd maybe! why didn’t he just bladder it? I’d have him straight in the office watching shearer videos!
    Certainly there was blame all over the manor today and I except it wasn’t all down to Pardew. I was only making an observation on our reaction to their subs.
    2 points lost for me today mate.

• belgrade fan

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

1st- dont blame AP for Remy misses 2 superb chances. That is a reason we havent won
    APs mistake- he needs to react 10 mins earlier. Only that. and I hope we r done with Cisse. Lad is killing us

• JackButler

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

manxpie

I’m not blaming Pardew for the result mate

• toonarmydownsouth

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Belgrade
    How is he killing us? Today was just one of those results, we should of had 3 before half time !
    5 wins one loss one draw in our last 7 how is that killing us?
    Talk about a massive over reaction ffs!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Had a feeling it would be a draw today , didn’t see the match as I was in Mackemland picking my dad up from hospital .

Pardew’s killer instinct (or lack of) costs us in games we should be winning by 2 or 3 goals .

• toonarmydownsouth

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Wow the Mackems are absolutely f**ked!
    9 points after 16 games, 4 points off of Fulham in 19th and looking worse every week

• belgrade fan

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

When Cisse plays it is like we play with 10 men. Always in offside, no passion, he doesnt care for me. And scored 0 goals. Contribute- bigger zero

• toonarmydownsouth

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

BPC
    No mate, p*ss poor finishing cost us the game today

• manxpie

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

manxpie // Dec 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM

uncertain i agree totally on 2 points lost mate and as i said i was just pointing out that pardew changed it in the 1st half where we scored and took a good hold of the game
    and imo on arfa its a 50-50 with him and that is the reason for me why he has never reached his true potential
    and at the end of the day its pardew who see’s cisse every day in training and he’s been lawding him up
    but he reminded me today of when i got my 1st game for the “bigger boys” team i was so nervous i ran on with my coat still on lol
    he just looks lost and nervous
    a good point the commentator made is that at the minute our players are so confident that they want the ball
    such a contrast to last season
    and btw we’ve actuallly moved up to 6th! so hope for a liverpool,villa wins tomorra

• belgrade fan

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM

TDS

If we didnt understand eachother was talking about Cisse not AP. all credit to AP, just need to react little earlier

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM

@ tads

I heard we missed a couple of chances in the early stages of the game (Remy in particular) but the point I am making is we should have still went for the second goal .

It’s not the first time we have lost out on all three points because the other team has equalised .

• manxpie

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

manxpie // Dec 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM

sorry jack it was just this post that made me think that you were being very sarcastic 🙂

You are not allowed to blame Pardew as he got everything right todays, it was the players fault today 😉

• 89Norcal

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

BPC – hope all is well with your dad.

As predicted we had a tough time with Soton’s midfield but we were a little worse than I thought we’d be today. Seemed like Anita wasn’t as involved as he should have been.

Plus Hatem and Remy were both selfish on a couple of decent chances. Think Pardew could have done better with our setup but I’ll take the point. Sissoko is developing into a decent threat on the right wing.

• 89Norcal

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Oh and not to be too hard on Anita, that little trickery he pulled in the penalty area on 3 defenders was amazing. Too bad no one bothered to follow up!

• toonarmydownsouth

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM

BPC
    ? We did go for the winner, the second half was wide open with both teams going for the winner, no one sat back or shut up shop, either team could if won it and if we’d converted our chances we would if won it

• manxpie

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM

bpc we did go for the second goal and should’ve had at least 4 really but surprisingly enough that other team, you know the other 11 players that are also looking to win went for an equaliser how dare they hey? 🙂

• belgrade fan

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

still sounds impossible to me we didnt have penalty for us in 16 games. Remy, HBA, Gouffy, Cabs…. we should have several

• Uncertain Toon

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Manxpie,

Can’t get my head round the Cisse scenario mate.
    Is it the Wonga thing? Was JFK trying to flog him in summer? Has his lass ditched him? Getting played out of position last year? Maybe all the above, tis very strange though, his body language all wrong, certainly looks like the worlds against him!
    Would it be worth putting him in reserves for a few games, got to be worth a try. Promote Campbell to 1st team squad. Might be the sort of motivation that will work on Cisse.
    One thing is sure though, as his wonder goals have proved and they can’t be all flukes!, he knows where the onion bag is.

• roy

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Santone and Coloccini were shocking how Mbwia cannot get in ahead of Coloccini. Cisse and HBA showed why they are only considered bench warmers. What was that gormless referee doing rolling around on the pitch the soft shite!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

@ tads

Fair enough m8 . Like I said m8 I have not seen the match or any highlights yet, all I know is Remy missed a couple of sitters, Sissoko gave the ref a right hook and there was some fisty cuffs 🙂 .

Predicted a point but a little disappointed as they were there for the taking .

@ Norcal

He is fine m8 cheers . Kidney stone removal that is all, I say that apparently they are painful as f*ck 🙂 .

• catchy in norway

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

manx

not sure i agree with you on whos fault it is was

whilst i think we are not playing bad right now, i feel pardew s game plan is way to risky,
    his game plan is to let the other team have the ball and try and hit them on the break,
    todays game at home, southamton had just about 60% of the play,
    for me this is pardews fault, because he trains the players to allow this to happen week after week, as normal, we got our goal and sat off them,
    the other thing he got wrong, after the break, they made subs, they were killing us, pardew leaves his subs way to late,
    i ike Cisse, but right now, he is just a body on the field, same with shola, we dont get enough from them to warrant a start or a place on the bench,
    HBA came on and was very lively ,
    another thing i did not like, remy, he was moved to the wing, our best goal threat was moved further away from where he does his best work
    we win games because we have good players, i feel pardew handicaps our team with silly formations and asking to give up possesion

• manxpie

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

collo played well today apart from his crazy left foot attempted pass
    cisse for me needs a move as much as we need a change
    i don’t think he’s terrible but i’d use him in a swap deal with a striker
    doumbia pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssseeeeeeeeee!!!

• Offkey

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Oh well, in recent times 47 points has seen a position of 10. From our remaining games I see more than 20 points……..currently, I am a happy man.

• roy

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Anitas passing is terrible he is to lightweight was constantly bullied off the ball Mr T had to cover for him most of the game, just shows how good Cabaye really is to the team.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM

@ tads

Fair enough m8 . Like I said I havn;t seen the game and all I know is Sissoko has a nice right hook, Remy missed a couple of sitters and there ere some fisty cuffs 🙂 .

@ Norcal

He is fine m8 cheers . Nothing serious just a kidney stone removal, I say that apparently they hurt like hell 🙂 .

• Thump

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM

@Uncertain Toon: They’re definitely not flukes. He’s been brilliant at every club he’s been at but something is wrong here. He’s never had to wait for a goal quite like this, though. Maybe that’s the issue?

• manxpie

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM

catchy can you hold on while i recover from my heart attack!!………………………………………………..
    you do seem to look at possesion stats don’t ya?
    we had over double of all the important stats in that game lad i.e the stats that actually score goals
    they passed it sideways n backwards how many times did you see there keeper chip it back out to there full backs
    infact we did wat southampton have been praised for all season but our own fans would rather slate our team!

• 89Norcal

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

BPC
    Yeah I hear that’s really painful.

roy I hope you meant “was” because Anita’s passing is typically anything but terrible! Southampton pressed really well though.

btw I like how the cameramen zoomed in on Cisse when DEBUCHY was flagged offside once. lol the guy can’t win.

• manxpie

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

and catchy remy’s scored most of his goals from being out on the left btw!!

• toonarmydownsouth

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM

BPC
    Lol aye Sissoko didn’t half give Jones a full on back hand!!! Broken nose probably, funny as hell though

• JackButler

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:56 PM

manxpie

You should know me by now mate, I don’t mince my words and would openly slaughter Pardew if I felt he was at fault like I did when we were beaten by Swansea. Today was simply one of those days, we played well but a draw was about the right result.

But his sub’s still leave a lot to be desired

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Looks like he did it deliberately.

• asenski

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

sell cisse for 1or 2 mil and buy another striker or get one on loan but cisse should never wear this N9

• catchy in norway

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

manx

its hard to score goals when they have the ball,

and this is not a one off game, this is our style,

give them the ball , hit on the break,

i dont look at our shooting stats anymore, we tend to shoot from to far out

our passing 323 with 224 complete 69%
    theres, 503 with 392 complete, 78% complete

out of our passing, we hit over 30 long balls from our half into there half
    they hit 15
    out of the over 30 we tried only 12 of our reached our men
    6 out of there 15 reached there man

these type of stats happen every week,

like i said, its hard to score when they have the ball,,

we only look a good team, because we have good inderviduals

• Uncertain Toon

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I hope Cisse comes good shortly or they might swap him for Gomis. Having said that he’s being carried by the team at the minute so would that be so bad?

• blew

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Some good performances, alas
    Santon was at his worst.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

@ tads

Yeah I have just seen a video of it on YouTube 🙂 , no way was it intentional . I only wish Howard Webb was refereeing our game today 😉 .

The guy hosting the totalsport phone in after the game said Sissoko could have been sent off, no way for me .