Newcastle’s New Blueprint Is The Right Way To Go

In Joe Kinnear’s program notes on Saturday,  the Newcastle Director of Football talked about the new blueprint for the Newcastle Youth Academy, which has under-performed since Mike Ashley put emphasis on youngsters in January of 2008, six months after he bought the Newcastle club.

joe kinnear latest

Joe Kinnear – emphasis on local youngsters – that’s good.

This is some of what Joe Kinnear wrote in the program notes for Saturday’s game against Southampton:

“A few weeks ago I was delighted to oversee Paul Dummett signing his contract.” “When your Academy players break through to challenge for a place in the first team place, it’s immensely satisfying and a great boost for everyone at the club.”

“It’s why we’re working on our youth development strategy to ensure that home-grown talent is also feeding into the system and contributing to the depth of the squad.” “For a club to build sustainability, we must live financially within our means and to provide a link to its local community.”

“It must have a strong system for identifying and developing the best football talent in the region and this is something Newcastle United is totally committed to.” “The general principle by which we operate is not to bring overseas youngsters or youngsters from outside our region into the Academy under the age of 16.”

“Instead we focus solely on local North-East youngsters.” “The club, with the assistance of its Foundation, foster strong links with the local boys’ clubs, leagues and schools with the intention of identifying and nurturing the region’s best young footballers.”  “We only make very rare exceptions to bring in a foreign player at Under-17 and Under-18 level.”

“That will  give our best local talent the maximum possible opportunity to progress through our structured system.” “The club has a clear pathway for the development of its best young players from the Academy, progressing through into the development squad and eventually, hopefully, playing in the Premier League.”

“If it is felt appropriate young players are sent out on loan to get valuable experience of senior football in a competitive environment.”

It’s very rare these days that we have an Academy player who progresses to playing for the Newcastle first team, and it’s not surprising that Joe Kinnear has made a big deal about Paul Dummett signing a new six-year deal, and when Paul has been given a chance in the first team, he always plays well – and looks a good player.

And Newcastle have 18 year-old striker  Adam Campbell,  16 year-old forward Adam Armstrong and 18 year-old defender Remie Streete as probably the pick of the bunch of the youngsters coming through the Youth Academy at the moment – and they are all local lads.

It would be simply great if these three youngsters  can progress to become part of the first team squad in a couple of years – that’s the target – to get local lads through to the Newcastle first team.

It’s certainly the right way to go as a strategy – but the execution of any strategy is always the most important thing if it’s to be successful – and Newcastle will need to execute a lot better than we have over the last six years.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• asenski

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM

please stop talking

• JackButler

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM

You just know that someone wrote that for Old Joe otherwise his program notes would have been in crayon 😀

• Transfer Sage

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM

ciarann

I don’t mean that. What I mean is why should we, as fans, worry about if we sign enough to deal with the problems that arise.

There is plenty the club should be doing/worrying about to plan ahead.

• Ciaran

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM

We cannot bring in youngsters under the age of 16 from outside the region or around the world because we do not have Category 1 Academy Status.

The lies and spin that come out of this club disgusts me.

• Ciaran

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Sage

I replied on previous thread.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Munster Mag

So the only alternative to the “wait and see brigade” is the “be constantly negative brigade”?

Look at how Spurs and Swansea are doing this season…and they’re in the Europa League. Can you think of a club who have done well while in the Europa League recently?

There just isn’t enough money in it to make it viable to sign all the extra players required to perform at the same level. Not for PL clubs anyway.

I don’t think he’ll waver from the target unless we qualify for the CL. The target next season will be top 8 with a push for Europe or a cup I reckon.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Ok. I don’t like where this blog is going again. I’m going to stop bothering to come on here if all I see is a minority of people whinging about bloody everything.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM

ciaran

most fans sit there and don’t do anything about transfers…there is little that can be done with them. Ultimately the club will spend when it is ready to.

We can protest and march against the club policy but thats something which takes long term planning. I simply mean sitting here why worry about what will happen.

The club could be doing better but i feel our transfer policy isn’t that bad. My problems with Ashley are more the way he treats fans as nothing more than customers as oppose to fans.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM

TDS

I think we have a decent 18/19 players at the club.

what needs to be done now is to upgrade the fringe players…move on the obertans and replace with either youngsters who are full of potential or to replace then with one or two very good ready made players who will come in and push.

we now have enough we don’t need filler players anymore.

• Ciaran

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM

TDS

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Sage

Signing 1 loan player in the summer isn’t a bad transfer policy? We’ve been incredibly lucky that players like Willo and Shola have dug us out of a hole – there was evidence to suggest that they would play at this level so signings in replace of them were necessary but did not come through so that is a failing on the transfer policy.

Players like Obertan, Saylor, and Marveaux are not good enough and should be moved on. Williamson is doing well recently but I suspect he will revert to his normal level soon and Shola is done and should not get a contract extension.

What the club does in relation to these issues in January will tell the tale as to how good/bad the policy is.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM

TS

Good luck. I don’t believe that Ciaran is open to having his mind changed though and he’ll fail to acknowledge any good points you make anyway unless they help prove him right.

I completely agree with post number 8 and I think most fans would agree too. It’s only a minority who think negatively, but they are often the gobby minority.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM

ciaran

The hope that i hold onto is that the club saw how they bought decent players cheaply last jan and that they will do the same this year, a new policy maybe? it might not be though.

And of course i would like more, but we have a decent squad. why get so annoyed?

personally i now just want to enjoy watching us play some decent football (which i think we do).

• Scottiedog

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM

REPOST – (Ed is on fire!!)
    @ Ciaran – You say we have seen it before!?!?! Yes we sold Carroll, but IMO that was very good business looking at what has done since!! Other than that we have only sold squad players and bought in blooded inter nationals!! I think we are a good centre forward away from a top 6 side, IMO,
    Were we have excelled this year is out “TEAM” ethic and a good bond. You cannot buy that!!
    Ciaran, I hope you oneday see that NUFC have to take building a good takes time and as such I think we are on the right course. Obviously there will always be fans who think that being financially stable and finishing 7th is not good enough, but we are a mid table team, we have never won the Premier League, nor a recent Major Cup so to constantly bleet on about “lack of ambition” is getting a bit old.

• Nufc-83

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Ciaran im sure that it does not matter what status you academy is you could still bring on oversees youngsters.

I am also sure that we have now recieved category 1 status anyway.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM

TDS

I like ciaran, he is a decent guy and has the best interest of the club at heart.

I don’t agree with everything he says, likewise i don’t agree with everything you, or anyone for that matter says.

I do think that there are plenty of things in the league which is worse than what we endure, and also plenty worse teams, we have a decent 18-20 players and now when i look at our bench i am always confident we have something good to come off it.

• Markaccus

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:34 PM

JackButler // Dec 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I have not been here in AGES. What a fantastic comment to come back to! Good work, fella!

Nice to see a lot of the negativity has gone (not all of it), but i noticed that a new ‘Brigade’ has been invented… the “wait and see” brigade!

• Ciaran

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Sage

We bought players last Jan because we were facing relegation, nothing more.

NUFC-83

The benefit of having a Cat 1 Academy is the ability to sign players outside your catchment region. We are prohibited from signing players outside out catchment region for our Academy as a Cat 2 Academy, but because there is no clarification on our status, people assume we are a Cat 1.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:36 PM

“We have to live within our means”.

Sure great.

Then stop crippling us with SD adverts and let us behave independently from SD commercially.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

TS

Completely and totally agree. We have a squad good enough and big enough to get that 8th place. And yes, the likes of Obertan, Marv and Saylor could do with being upgraded. They have had enough chances I think and I would like to see a higher class of squad player. I think we need players that we know are going to perform to a 6 or 7 out of 10 every time or we need players who aren’t quite there yet but are capable of challenging the first 11. If they’re neither of these then sell them.

• martoon

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Hi Markaccus where have you been hiding? Basically you have Ciaran (who used to be Ruddy) in one corner and TDSouth in the other and the rest of us somewhere in the middle.

• jimBOB

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM

sorry Joe but with your vast knowledge of our academy (shane Ferguson) I find it hard not to stick my fingers in my ears and blow my eyeballs out of my head.

when they are ready for the first team give them a chance, Campbell, needs to get a chance – Dummet plays well and gets dropped, Armstrong is 16, looks great – his awareness is unbelievable for his age – fact is he is 16 and Pards will never play him yet – streete will not get a game for at least 3-4 years,

Just IMO

• Ciaran

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Can’t sell before we replace. If we are not replacing in January and then selling in the summer then that puts paid to the notion that we have a forward thinking transfer policy and replaces it with the reality that it is ad hoc and completely made up as we go along.

Colo has wanted out for the best part of a year yet and we need a stronger dominant centre half. M’biwa is Colo’s replacement yet we still do not have that added centre half.

Remy will most likely be leaving in the summer, and we have needed an extra striker since Ba left in January, and if no striker arrives in January we will be behind the curve again.

Shola’s contract expires this summer (and should not be renewed) and he has been a fairly woeful – average player these last few years, yet we still have no strong centre forward who can hold up the ball.

Remind me why our transfer policy is being lauded again? I can’t see it.

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM

TS

I don’t like or dislike Ciaran because I’ve never met him but I highly dislike the persona on this blog and how he communicates with others. He knows this as I’ve told him before.

I don’t expect everyone to agree with me (nor do I want it) but I do expect for my points to be acknowledged and addressed when I take the effort to actually read and respond to someone else’s.

When someone takes the approach of a scatter gun attack of the club, it’s obvious that a few of the attacks will actually have some truth in them.

• Markaccus

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM

on what appears to be debate of the day…..

Ciaran’s concerns seem to be off the pitch ones, and i agree with him… Fat b-stard has proved he makes the same f- ups all the time.
    Sages point about trying not to worry about it is also very valid because there is very little can be done about what fatley does.

• coatesy17

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Think Papiss cisse just needs to start wearing his wrist band again with short sleeves, since he stopped wearing it he has stopped scoring. coincidence? ha

• croftus5678

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM

we do have cat 1 status tbh

and we arnt too bad when you look at the youngsters play as we have some really good players who perform well its just we cant risk playing them on a run in the first team because if they do something bad we jump all over them !

• Hatem's better than Messi

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Obertan, Marv, Saylor, Willo, Jonas, both Ameobis Raylor, Amalfitano, Colo byebye from me. Cheers for everything but realistically who a you giving a reprieve from the list? Onwards and upwards?

• ToonDarnSarf

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Ciaran

Are you really back on this? Do I really have to point out how stupid that suggestion is??? Buy players in January to replace players that YOU are convinced will leave in the summer? Stupid.

I’ll point out a few reasons why:
    1 – they might not leave
    2 – you have to pay twice the wages for those players for a few months
    3 – you can’t play both of the players
    4 – negotiation in the summer would be severely weakened because other clubs know we’d have to sell!

Your suggestion that we sign 5 players in January to replace Remy, Cabaye, Colo and Shola is ridiculous. They will be replaced if they leave, just like every other club does.

• Ciaran

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM

TDS

There is nothing I write here that I wouldn’t say to you in person. I might perhaps be a bit more polite about it, but not much.

• Markaccus

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Martoon.

I was avoiding the site for a while. It was so frustrating at times. I have noticed there are a few names missing these days??

• Ciaran

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Croftus

I contacted the club myself, and they stated that there has been no update on the category of the academy. We do not have Cat 1.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM

coatesy17

Stat in the Chronicle said that he wasn’t receiving many passes. I guess that’s a consequence of being so out of touch for so long. Not good for his confidence or the team’s balance.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Ciaran

Wasn’t it announced on the FA site a few months back?

• Ciaran

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM

TDS

When you have options for positions it provides squad strength in depth, it does not force you into a position where you have to sell – ludicrous claim.

In the same token, if you sell players and are frantically trying to sign a replacement it puts you in a weaker position re negotiations because the other club knows you are desperate to buy.

You are being ever so slightly ridiculous now.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

We do have, contrary to what Ciaron says Category 1 Status at our youth acadamy . This was awarded to us in the summer.
    This fact was also widely reported on here, although most of you were so busy touting negativity and spouting crap, the announcement went un-noticed !

TDS _ don,t give up on us just yet! You can do the same as i do and just refrain from using the Blog so often!

• roy

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Coloccini, Obertan. Sammy, Marv, Saylor, Cisse HBA Vuckic Gosling and Jonas should all be moved on and better players brought in.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

ciaran

On last jan I agree, we bought as we needed to stay up. I don’t think the plan was to strengthen in Jan.

What I mean was maybe Ashley saw that and thinks he can do it every year like that, spend in the winter and limit spending in the summer.

So this jan we might do the same. As we don’t sign may international players they won’t be worried about moving and losing their place in the world cup, we may even get one or two who need to take a gamble at a new club to get a world cup place as they aren’t playing.

I am not 100% confident, probably not even 50% but I’ll just see what happens. Not much else I can do in the mean time.

• Ciaran

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Hatem

Nope, there has been many suggestions that we might have it – such as playing in U 21 Elite League (or whatever it is called) but having contacted the club myself they said they had no confirmation of our Cat 1 status.

1 2 3 8