Newcastle Star Certain To Start On Saturday

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew made it clear after the Southampton draw, that he thought the side had missed the creative influence of Yohan Cabaye in the middle of the field, and he has said the French International star will return at Selhurst Park on Saturday afternoon.

yohan cabaye warming up

Yohan Cabaye – will return on Saturday at Selhurst Park

So with Yohan Cabaye returning it;s a good question as to who will step down, and it will be unlucky for Vurnon Anita, if he is the one to drop down to the bench, after a very good display for the side against the Saints.

This is what Alan Pardew told the local press today:

“There won’t be much of a decision to make about Cabaye,” “He plays, for me. We need that. We need that flair and quality he brings.”

“I’ll have no hesitation putting him back in the team. Unfortunately, someone will have to step out.”

Who is left out on Saturday could depend on what formation the manager elects to play against Crustal Palace,  and if it’s a 4-5-1 type formation with one striker up front, then it could be Shola Ameobi who’s left out – as he was at Manchester United.

Otherwise, it looks like Vurnon could again be the unlucky player who steps down to the bench, after playing so well against the Saints.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• croftus5678

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

unfortunatly i think he has to start 🙁

i know anita had a great game and always seems to do but we need goals and cabaye is one of our main goalscorers atm with goofy/remy.

• cyprus

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

AP’s right about last year’s panic purchases but they sure proved good. Those people completely changed the team. This year I’d go with a marque 10 mil signing, a CF who’s young enough to improve yet already has a good record to justify the tag. Loanees aren’t always a bad deal, btw. Look at WBA last year (Lukaku) and Everton this year (ibid) and NUFC (Remy). It’s good if there’s a buy clause at the end…

On this post: I’m fine with Cabs playing or not, Anita is just as good.

• JackButler

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Why not try Anita and Cabaye together and drop Shola

• Transfer Sage

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM

cabaye offers a damn site more than anita in every aspect of play, so he must be in

• Transfer Sage

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

jack

it worked at man utd, it’s a good system too.

• JackButler

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Transfer Sage

I honestly think it could be our best system to play, Anita and Tiote together allow Cabaye the freedom he needs to be at his best. Add Sissoko and Gouffran to that and it makes up one hell of a midfield.

Shola has done well of late but we can be a bit one dimensional with him in the line up so it’s worth trying it again

• 70TWO

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Brazilian anyone?

Roberto Firmino, 22 AM out of contract 2015 plays for Hoffenheim, 8 goals in 15 apps and 6 assists. Could be a good swap for Marveaux.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

jack

I used to think we were one dimensional with Shola but recently he has done very well with dropping off for flick ons but also to hold the ball and play it through to remy/sissoko/gouff…it was good to watch. An extra man up top worries defences more too.

The good thing for me is we can go with shola or anita and still put on a good game, i’d glad we have a couple ways to play, neither is right or wrong.

• Scottiedog

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I have to agree with @6

Use Cabaye as a false #9 for 70 mins and then swap him for Benny to terrorise tired defence!! By using Anita & Tiote in CM / DFM it will stop Cabaye having to worry about what is behind him.

• JackButler

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Transfer Sage

Agree mate, it is nice to finally have some options in how we play.

Shola has done very well of late but I think with Anita in there we are a far more fluent team as Anita is the key that ties the midfield together and allows tiote to focus on defending and Cabaye being the creator

• 70TWO

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM

IMO Shola is an ideal target man and plays the role reasonably well, however when compared to playing Cabaye in the same position it is like taking your foot of the accelerator.

Against Southampton Pardew reverted to Shola and running in behind on to through balls. Where as if he had been brave enough to match and better them in terms of midfield possession, there would have been more control of the game. In order to progress the team need to create opportunities to score rather than relying on loose balls and taking advantage of defensive blunders.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

J4A…you know that post wasn’t meant to be cheasy!

…it was just the god honest truth 🙂 I don’t rap things up in cotton (I am an honest man)

• Transfer Sage

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

jack

I’m not a fan of anita, I think he is a decent footballer but that’s about it really.

I don’t think he is fantasic defensively, but ok…attacking wise his passing is limited in range and he hasn’t got a killer through ball, i just think the stuff he does is what all players should be able to do and the lad hasn’t got a stand out quality like others have.

cabaye – passing range and a shot
    tiote – strong in tackling
    sissoko – drive and running

i don’t mind anita playing, just don’t think he has a proper role as of yet.

• 70TWO

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Does anybody know if Cabaye was at SJP last Saturday?

• cyprus

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I was critical of Anita when he came. Feather light, easily beaten at LB, easily pushed off the ball at CM. BUT, he has improved immensely, provides a reliable option, can hold the ball and dribble (which Cabs can’t) and is more committed to the team than the latter. He’s 24, by the time he’s 27 he’ll be much better than him. Same with Sissoko, in a couple of years he’ll be immense. Yaya Toure (30) was just ok for many years (Olympiakos), look at him now.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM

cyprus

I should have mentioned that, i do have faith he can add some stand out ability to his game as he does the ‘basics’ very well, better than all the others.

• 70TWO

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Transfer Sage @13

I was going to say Anita is like a blank canvas that allows the likes of Cabaye, Tiote and Sissoko to do what they do best and still have that security of another man. But then again why not have another man who can do something? Which leads me to the conclusion that we need a quality AM to play in front of 2 holding midfielders.

• JackButler

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Transfer Sage

I think today is the day that you and I fall out 😀

Anita has been as good as anyone in the squad this season, his range of passing is as good as anyone we have, he plays the ball quickly, never dwelling on it, he keeps things simple and links our whole midfield together.

If Cabaye does leave us at the end of the season I won’t mind at all as we have Anita, thats how highly I rate the guy

• 70TWO

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM

cyprus @15

A very fine point, would you predict that all our players have a 3-5 year window to improve and then be sold? (In terms of generating income for reinvestment)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Since we are being honest here then I’ll share something that I know some just won’t grasp – it always angers some, but it is both how I fell and how I see football.

My problem with Shola has nothing to do with his person or anythin like that it is all about football. He does win us some flick ones and he is a physical lad – we need that if we are too play this Pardewed 4-4-2 brandd of football.

But as much as he wins flick ones he seems to give away freekick and when ever he has won a battle his role seems to be outplayed in the attack.

He never gets back into the box or get in a position where he will recieve the ball again. This results in us playing with 9 outfield players. If we loose the ball he doesn’t back either (if he does then he is certainly missing when we go forward again)

I mainly have a problem with footballers who is this imobile – especially when they don’t score goals nor assist goals.

In a perfect world we would have a Michu kind of player partnering Remy upfront! In a perfect world that is 😉

And that doesn’t mean I don’t respect or like Shola as a person!

• 70TWO

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I feel like I am in the land of the 4231 brothers, don’t lets fall out!