The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We’re Playing Very, Very Well And I Expect To Win

8:54 am, Wednesday, December 18th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Alan Pardew visits a club he played for from 1987 through 1991, and it seems Crystal Palace are now a much more difficult proposition than they were only a few weeks ago, before former Stoke manager Tony Pulis took over,  and they have won their last two home games against West Ham and Cardiff City.

alan pardew  -5317484

Alan Pardew – I expect to win

Alan Pardew recognized that Crystal Palace are now a revitalized and even resurgent team under Pulis, and Saturday’s game will not be easy:

“That place will be rocking, because they’ve had two home wins,” “It couldn’t fall on us in a worse situation, but having said that, we’re playing very, very well, and I’d expect to win.”

Tony Pulis has said the team’s home form will determine whether they can stay a second successive season in the Premier League for the first time ever, as he had this to say:

“I’ve come in, the players have responded,”  “But the season is not about three or four games.”  “Our season will be determined by our home form from now until the end of the season.

“We’ve just got to make sure Selhurst Park is rocking like it has been the couple of times I’ve been manager there, and that the players give everything they’ve got.”

Newcastle will have 2,600 fans there in London on the weekend before Christmas, and hopefully they will be able to cheer Newcastle on to another win, and that would make it six wins in eight league games, and we would be handily placed in the league table if we can do that.

That has to be the goal on Saturday – to get back to our winning ways.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Dec 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM

We also have to have the moral argument of whether or not we should let Palace win, just in case we accidentally improve the mackems chances of survival. Lol. Seriously though, that would imply that the mackems were capable of picking up points.

• 2 martoon // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM

It will be interesting to see what team Pardew puts out which will show his intent. Obviously Cabaye will come back but will he keep Anita like at Man U or will he go for it with Shola or HBA in the team?

• 3 G // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM

martoon, given it’s a Tony Pulis side we are facing, I would rather he put out the more workman like side, and left the flair players out of this one. Shola and Anita in for me.

• 4 cyprus // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Regarding this game, Crystal Palace are the poorest team I’ve seen thus far (except NUFC vs. City and first half Everton where we were champs of chumps). So, if we play well we should win. Prediction 1-2.

I think Sunderland will go down, despite their victory last night. Something ain’t quite right at Chelsea, though it’s not my problem!
    Along with them will probably be C. P. and West H., unless poor Carroll reappears…

All the above could change with Jan. transfers, like it did for us.

• 5 martoon // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM

G – So how would you accomodate both of them – who would you leave out?

• 6 G // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM

lone front man (Remy) and 3 men in the centre-mid, Tiote, Cabaye, Anita. 4-5-1 formation if you like.

• 7 G // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Shola out on one flank, and Gouffy on the other. (Posted that earlier than I intended)

• 8 cyprus // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM

We’ll be behind till the 60th. Two changes (HBA Cisse) prove catalytic as they each grab a goal. Cisse takes over the mantle of scoring streak (beginning then) from Remy. :)

• 9 martoon // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

cyprus – I would agree with your relegation candidates although I think Big Sam will be next to be sacked so that may change things.. You’re right about Chelsea – they don’t seem a happy camp – I can’t think of one case where it has been sucessful when a manager returns for a second time.

• 10 martoon // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM

G – So you would leave out Sissoko? who is a tall strong player against a Pullis side??

• 11 G // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Maybe, or maybe bench Shola, I think Shola’s bullying would be very useful in this game. I agree it’s risky to leave out Sissoko, but I think it might work. The other option is to start Shola as a lone front man and leave Remy on the bench till the 70th minute.

• 12 cyprus // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Never return to the scene of the crime, I said to a Chelsea buddy. Inappropriate but you know what I mean and I agree with you! Same happened with kingKev and Dalglish.

• 13 Blofal // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

If Westham get relegated u think we would be back in for Carroll?

• 14 toonincheek // Dec 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Blofal –

Yes – at a price.
    Ameobi type player, Geordie, can bully defences,
    injury prone . . .

• 15 Blofal // Dec 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

8 mill. Use him sparingly from the bench.

• 16 pethmag // Dec 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Palace are on a decent little run and Chelsea had to hang on at the bridge . I would go with this.

Play Remy up top

Goofy and sissoko on the wings

Cabaye sitting in front of Anita and tiote

Stanton or hairdryer with mbiwa,willow and debuchy

Krul of course