The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

If You Believe It, You Can Achieve It

9:16 am, Thursday, December 19th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

24 year-old Vurnon Anita had another good game on Saturday against the Saints, and finished up second in our voting for Man of the Match, but he could still be benched on Saturday at Selhurst Park, to make was for Yohan Cabaye, who will return from serving a one match ban for picking up 5 yellow cards.

vurnon anita

Vurnon Anita – played well on Saturday

Newcastle are in sixth place in the Premier League, but 4 points behind 5th placed Everton, so while we cannot improve our league position this Saturday, we can still get all 3 points.

Anita has been interviewed on BBC Radio Newcastle today, and was asked if we can stay in the top six in the league:

“We hope to.” “If we continue like this it’s certainly possible, and we must believe it as well, that we can end up in the first six.”

“If you believe it, you can achieve it.” “We’re very happy at the moment but I think it’s also good to keep both feet on the ground and keep on working hard. In an instant, it can change.”

“I think maybe it’s even tougher (than previous games),”  “They really need the points and it’s going to be a big battle, so we must be ready for it, then we can try and win the game.”

Crystal Palace are much improved under Tony Pulis, and have won two of their last three league games, both at home, so there’s no doubt it’s going to be a difficult encounter on Saturday.

But after only drawing at home to Southampton, Newcastle need to get back to their winning ways at Selhurst Park on Saturday – that’s really the bottom line.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Vurnon Anita

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Tequila, (Repost)
    Back at Uni, me and my flat used to have stupid £1 acca’s every Saturday, the deal was if one of us won they paid for the rest of the flat to go to an Ashes series in Australia.

I had an 18 game acca on, which was due to win me £72,000 roughly. 17 games won, Stranraer were playing bottom of the league East Stirling. Stranraer were running up at the top of the league, and somehow contrived to draw.

I have never forgiven (and will never forgive) Stranraer the football club, the place, or the people for that! :-)

• 2 martoon // Dec 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM

70TWO – That team you posted a couple of topics back – I can’t believe you would drop Gooffran – probably our best player over the last few games.
    Lilongwe – I bet you were gutted with that – never rely on Scottish football ;)

• 3 70TWO // Dec 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM

martoon – Its a squad thing.

Lilongwe Geordie – what were the other 17 and do they receive equal accolade?

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

martoon,
    Definitely mate!! £72,00 would have covered the ashes and god knows how many student nights out!

70Two,
    It was 10 years ago now mate, can’t remember the other 17 as they all won for me. Hold nothing against those teams, just Stranraer, so that is the only one that sticks in my mind!

I also can’t understand what Goofy has done to deserve to be dropped!!!

• 5 martoon // Dec 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM

70TWO – Yes I can understand we might have to use the squad for the games over the Xmas period but for this game we last played a week ago so I feel we need our best and in form players.

• 6 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 19, 2013 at 10:01 AM

On about team line up for Palace.
    Interesting listening to John anderson last night he would start with Shola as he thinks Palace and Pulis will be physical and we will need Shola’s presence up front.

• 7 martoon // Dec 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Charlie – Yes I would agree – against a Pullis team you need your big stong players which is why I was surprised someone yesterday posted a team without Sissoko. For this reason I would leave out Anita but start him in one of the Xmas period games.

• 8 Ted Bundy // Dec 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

My team would be -

_______________Krul_______________
    Debuchy___Willo_____Colo___Haidara
    Sissoko___Cabaye___Tiote____Gouffran
    __________Shola____Remy

Think Haidar shows uch more promise than Santon, is already a much more stable, dependable defender and I think it will make a heck of a difference balancing the team up to, creating more chances with the natural width; whipped first time crosses and getting to the byline, rather than the dallying, then cutting inside and either giving it away or not beating the first man with the cross, which are Santon’s specialities.

The only other possible change I’d make, is Cisse for Shola – give him 90 mins see how he responds. Will let Shola know he’s not cosy, too, as his form does seem to tailing off slightly. We’re gonna need Shola against Stoke, no doubt, they’re still the most physical team in the league.

• 9 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Martoon
    I’m undecided which way I would if I was manager – that’s why I a not.
    i) five man midfield with team that started against Man Utd
    or
    ii) four man midfield dropping Anita and Starting with Shola.

Which ever way Pardew goes there will be be moans

• 10 The next Mike Williamson // Dec 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Anita over Shola

At least he does something. He keeps the ball & we could have done with him playing 90 minutes against Southampton.

Need to keep using Ben Arfa & Cisse off bench. Remy is due a dip in form (maybe his rape trial has effected him). Also get Obertan off bench. Where is Marveaux?

• 11 clinath@ed // Dec 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I’m with you Mike…stuff worrying about them, put the 3 musketeers together in midfield and lets see them try and get the ball back…

• 12 70TWO // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM

martoon / Lilongwe Geordie

You seem to be advocating that the most in form players should be on the pitch, which is true but do you also believe 30 mins substitute appearance is enough to bring squad players up in form?

I can see the sense that when someone is injured it is then up to the player coming in to step up to the plate; and otherwise the ‘form’ team is used consistently. I can understand that you may feel HBA has had plenty of opportunity, but what about moving Gouffran up front and playing Sammy on the wing?

My point is really that players don’t improve sitting on the bench and it is then up to the manager to to keep a team consistently performing whilst using more than 11 players. Gouffran is doing brilliantly but will he be able to keep it up every week? Or should he get a break and aim to come back in against Arsenal?

• 13 roy // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Bench Anita and Coloccini, play Shola and Mbwia. Shola holds the ball up and gives the centre halves a hard time, Anita is to flimsy against robust teams and Coloccini, is useless in the air and too slow for the Premier league.

• 14 roy // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM

And give Santon, a seat on the bench!

• 15 70TWO // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

clinath@ed

You are right, we will probably be given the majority of the pitch so need to be able to control possession and link between defense and attack. The best opportunities will come from overloading one side of the pitch and getting the ball out to the opposite flank for the full back to cross in. Then not letting them break away with the ball.

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

70Two,
    The most in form players should be on the pitch at all times. That doesn’t mean you can’t use your squad though. It just means you leave out players who aren’t in such hot form.

So potentially you could leave Remy out and play the same as Man U but with Shola up top, or play Shola and Goofy up top bringing in a new winger.

If a striker scores 5 in 5 you don’t drop him in case he loses form, by being played regularly, you play him until his hot streak ends. Goofy will have had a week between Saints and Palace, if he needs a rest it will be the Stoke game which would see him get a break before Arsenal.

As for players playing there way into form, the whole idea of that was scrapped when the reserve league was. Now the players are so well fine tuned physically, that they should be ready to step in and have the mental strength to perform when given that chance. If they don’t then they have to be good enough to not be droppable in the first place.

• 17 AaranD // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Haidara should get a start, has played well but would be a test against a physical in-form Palace side.

I think Pardew will go with similar tactics like at ManU, which wouldn’t be a bad shout. Control the game in midfield where players like Anita and Cabaye thrive. There is always HBA to come on if Palace are tough to break down.
    Doubt he will go gung-ho attack as a loss against Palace will be terrible and undo the past good work.

• 18 martoon // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM

70TWO @12 – I understand what you are saying but results are everything. Just imagine if Pardew did what you suggest and we got beat – he would be castigated – which is why he has to play his strongest team whenever possible.
    Lilongwe’s point about the reserves is valid for a player like Cisse it would have given him vital match practice. Although overage players are allowed in the U21′s it seems to be considered as an insult.

• 19 70TWO // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

Thanks for tidying that up for me. Pardews’ mistake against Southampton was bringing on Cisse for Shola and loosing control in midfield. He will no doubt drop Anita for Cabaye and keep the same set up, making the Man U game a distant memory and the honest appraisal of himself.

• 20 Spoof // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM

One or two are calling for Santon to be dropped, although I don’t rate him as a defender as he gets caught out of position to often I have to say that of late Santon hasn’t done a great deal wrong, he has definitely defended much better over the last few weeks, if you are to drop someone then surely it should be when they are off form because dropping them when they are improving cannot possibly help them, the improvement from Debuchy way be rubbing off on Santon as his suicidal runs forward don’t seem to be happening as they were, he still plays high up the pitch, but only to push our opponents back, which is what we need him to too, the lad is playing better now than what he ever has done in the past, leave him in and allow him to continue improving as he is.

• 21 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Spoof

I wouldn’t change the back four. Continuity brings results. but saying that I would not of dropped Mbiwa for Colo.
    It would be typical of the TOON to get beat off Palace then beat Stoke and Arsenal

• 22 70TWO // Dec 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Spoof

If Santon could just improve his left footed crosses, going round the outside and getting to the byline (but not too often), he’d be perfect!

• 23 LEROI // Dec 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Santon has deserved a place in the starting 11 the last few games. he hasn’t made an individual mistake that lead to a goal although some do say that s.hampton’s equaliser is all on his poor pass when our counter attack turned into a goal for them. However if someone offered us +7mil for him if iwas Newcastle owner/manager i would snap your hand of bearing in mind we’ve got not 1 but 2 very good young natural left backs champing at the bit to prove AP should pick them.

• 24 70TWO // Dec 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Having listened and appraised, this is the team I would go for, it may leave us open to counter attacks but also provides 5 attackers:
    —————– Shola
    —-Remy—————— Goffran
    ———- Cabaye – Sissoko
    —————– Tiote
    Santon – Mbiwa – Willo – Debuchy

• 25 LEROI // Dec 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Shola pure legend

about that acca go on william hill page and click on chat to live agent they’ll let u know in seconds if you won or lost your acca. actually it might be ladbrokes that has this service try there site if willy hilly hasn’t got it ok mate? I’ve got me fingas crost for yeh!

• 26 dantoon85 // Dec 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

David Ginola is going into football management. Could be a future toon manager lol

• 27 LEROI // Dec 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I was happy when i first heard us being linked with a loan move zaha because i watched him a lot in the championship before man utd signed him and his quality was well above champship standard but his last few appearances he’s put in for man utd i have just not been impressed 1 bit & I’m a bit worried he’ll be a waste of bench space for us now. fickle i know but its how i feel.

• 28 Spoof // Dec 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Charlie

I tend to agree with you, the back four have to play as one, so if they are doing well leave them as they are, however I would bring Mbiwa back for Colo, even though Willo is still doing ok, he looked a lot better with Mbiwa as his partner

70TWO

that as you say is with being caught out of position his obvious weakness, but defensively he has improved and once or twice he has used his left foot to put a cross in, admittedly I nearly fell off my seat with shock when I saw it, but I have seen little signs of improvement for him, I was imploring people to get off Debuchy’s back after the West Ham game as I saw a massive difference from him there, initially Jarvis was destroying him, Debuchy was either getting to close and being turned or he was too far off his man and getting outran, but he did correct it and took a position where he wasn’t so close that he was getting turned but he was close enough to challenge if Jarvis was trying to outrun him, I said it after that game and since then he hasn’t looked back, I can also see signs of improvement from Santon, I would leave him in to see if the improvements are permanent or just a coincidence, but there has definitely been good signs from him, and I have been his biggest critic.

• 29 Whumpie // Dec 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM

id stick with the bug strong lads. Anita benched and play shola, cabs, sissoko – and I’d go with Dummy at LB.

previous post: Is This Striker Still A Newcastle Target?

next post: Star Approaches 100th Appearance for Newcastle