The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Midfielder Battled In The Rain – It Was Perfect

11:21 pm, Sunday, December 22nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

Cheick Tiote had another powerful and energetic game in Newcastle’s  midfield on Saturday at Selhurst Park, but unfortunately the Ivorian picked up his 5th yellow card of the season and he will miss the home game on Boxing Day against Stoke.

cheick tiote man united 99

Cheick Tiote – battled in the rain on Saturday

And the weather wasn’t exactly great in London yesterday, or in England as a whole for that matter, but it was perfect weather for Newcastle’s battler Cheick Tiote, who has been back to his best form in  a black and white short this season.

This is what Tiote said in the Mirror today:

“The weather was bad but our minds were focused,” “We know it’s going to be a tough game. For a game like this you need to be ready in your head because of the weather.”

“I enjoy these conditions. For me it’s perfect conditions because in my role I have to fight, take the ball and pass to my partners. It doesn’t matter if it’s raining. I just want to enjoy my football.”

“Last year we struggled,” “This year is much much better. When you look at the table I think we’ve got a chance to finish in the top five. But we have to do the same things, try to win every game.”

“If we do that we have the chance to be in the top five.”

Vurnon Anita will probably get a chance to come in for Cheick in defensive midfield on Thursday, and the Dutchman will need to have a good game, maybe a very good game, if we are to get all 3 points and keep our Christmas run of games perfect.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Newcastle News · Premier League

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Dec 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Mr T just gets better and better lol.

• 2 jimmysmith // Dec 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Check Tiote’s passing and movement was superb against Palace. He owned the middle of the park. I really didn’t know he was that good, despite him being one of my favorite players.

I tend to think he’s benifitting from having such a neat little footballer in Anita alongside, they really do seem to compliment each other, more so with Cabs in a forward role at the tip of that midfield 3. All three of them were great.

• 3 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Tiote just needs to keep it simple and pass to one of our 4 attacking players (Cabaye,Sissoko,Gouffran & Remy) when he gets the ball.

I notice he has stopped turning on the edge of our box and losing possession which was my main gripe with him last year.

Yes he gets a few more yellow cards than he should but that comes with the role of breaking up opposition play and doing the dirty work. His shooting is still poor for a professional footballer and should be made to take long range shooting practice after every training session.

All in all he is starting to look like the £ 20 million midfield destroyer Chelsea were sniffing around a couple of years ago.

• 4 Blofal // Dec 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Cisse was in form right up until he was placed out on the wing. Both Ba and Remy have been observed not passing to Cisse even if he was in for an open goal. Now the poor guy has no confidence

I dearly hope he gets it back and can do what he used to. As for Remy I really don’t want him. Y3s he has done a decent job but he is a mercenary and by no means a team player. Give me chance creating CF/CAM anyday over the current crop of strikers. Suarez and Aguero are invaluable for the chances they create for other players… not just for or their own goals.

I still think Benny should be played up front and centre.

• 5 Sgt. Heagerty // Dec 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Hba is a number 10, he could play up front but in the prem league it would be tough sledding day in day out for him simply from a size and strength stand point, hba is at his best on the wings or in an advanced central midfield role where he can run at defenders and create chances for that cannon on his left foot or for the other lads on the pitch plain and simple…. I would also like to see cisse return to form I think it will just take one to get his confidence back and wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a stunner on Boxing Day, he heats up when it gets cold, he came to the toon in January and went on tear til may, then ba got hot from August til he left and then cisse picked it up again last January…. Regardless we are playing attractive football and we are banking points… We look like a newcastle united side should look like and that’s a top 6 team year in year out…. Long may it continue Howay the lads!!!!

• 6 NEoffers.co.uk // Dec 23, 2013 at 12:26 AM

STILL CHRISTMAS SHOPPING?

£10 OFF Voucher on ANY purchase over £50! – http://www.NEoffers.co.uk

‘HMULHVVTJ5OIV’

Here at NEoffers.co.uk we know that Christmas is the time for giving and we are no different. We are giving you our BIGGEST GIFT EVER with £10 OFF code on our already heavily reduced prices.

Code expires midnight Christmas Eve.

With NEoffers.co.uk we are making sure you get ‘More for Less this Christmas’.

• 7 70TWO // Dec 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Mr T – he ain’t gettin’ on no plane…

• 8 Sgt. Heagerty // Dec 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Neoffers, what a complete shameless act, come to a football site and plug your store bot style, like anyone will appreciate that and purchase from your store

• 9 jimmysmith // Dec 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Ben Arfa was too good for Palace when he came on, and he has clearly developed physically into a very strong player who is now very hard to dispossess.

He will get more game time as the matches come thick and fast over the festive period, and as players are rested and inevitably pick up injuries and suspensions. How he contributes will be central to our success or otherwise, you’d imagine.

• 10 swemag // Dec 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Tiote gets a rest against Stoke. We have enough players to put a competitive team on the pitch. Even Obertan looked ok when he came on against…was it Chelsea. I would imagine Jonas will be back on the bench soon as well.
    But indeed, time for HBA to get a start just off Remy.

• 11 Blofal // Dec 23, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Actually Swemag I think Jonas could even fill in as a CDM if we needed. For all the abuse that people give him his graft and defensive displays have always been quite good. A good squad player to have atm.

Obertan would be deadly if he would stop leaving the ball behind him lol.He’s never really been confident in his own ability that boy.

• 12 Santon03 // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Players that have impressed me so far this season:
    Willo, Anita, Gouffran, Debuchy.
    Especially Willo and Anita, nobody thought that they will be this good, including me. They were out cold can’t get in the team and when the chance came, they took it. Anita’s speed and determination helped Tiote many times against Palace, not saying Tiote was bad but that was great teamwork.
    Gouffran worked so hard in every game on the left or on the right.
    Debuchy started NUFC career badly but he has shown his quality.

In January, if we didn’t sell anyone, I think we just need one more addition. It should be a playmaker, we missed Cabaye against Soton and we will miss him again in the future and Marv can’t fill in his position. I hope we can get Gourcuff.
    If we could get more than one that will be great, but I’m happy with one.

• 13 Santon03 // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:14 AM

I also hope Willo and Anita can be good example for other players who can’t get into the team.

• 14 Santon03 // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Looking at the table, I’m very happy. I can’t believe that we are only 6 points from 1st, not saying that we are or should win the league just the fact unless Arsenal win against Chelsea.

• 15 Santon03 // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:21 AM

not saying that we are going to or should win the league*

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Santon,
    I’d agree with your players who have impressed, I’d also add the Sissoko of the last 5 weeks or so. Since the Sunderland game he has looked very good, and has shown the power and pace that we knew he had from his first few games for us. Prior to that he was weak as a kitten and being shrugged off the ball far too easily.

Ania doe so much more than make us tick. I lost count of the number of times that he could be found in either full back position covering as either Santon or Debuchy were pressing forward. It goes unnoticed by many, but there were a number of occasions when attacks broke down but Palace couldn’t take advantage because Anita was there in the defence. He is such an intelligent player, and having played a lot at full back he knows his position when covering for them.

Not been on since the match, but another good performance by the lads, albeit in a game we should be winning.

Now, bring on Jan, I’d like 3 signings, think to move us forward for this season we need 2, and would not be too upset if we got 1 and no departures. Know idea what I expect to happen though…

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Santon,
    From the fixtures gone, and the squad we have, I think we are about right for the number of points, but yes, I hadn’t expected the top sides to have dropped so many points, so to be 6 off top is great.

The players have upped their game, Pardew has upped his game, now let’s hope Ashley does the same and allows us to kick on with one or two Jan signings.

• 18 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM

The only things we have to do are :

Try to win every game and grab at least a point against the so called Champion candidates.

Keep our best players in the Transfer window when it opens?

Sign at least two additions, a striker and one defensive midfielder, who will add to the dizzy heights that we have already reached this year !

Bring on Stoke and the Gooners ! and HWTL !

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM

*No idea what to expect though

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:36 AM

NewExpat,
    A defensive midfielder? I think centre mid is the position we have most cover in. We haven’t even seen Bigi this season, and he looked comfortable last when he played. Sissoko can move in there as well, and has played that defensive role before.

Personally I think we need at least one permanent centre forward signing, and a commanding centre half . If we got the centre forward though and didn’t lose anyone I think we would be okay to muddle through and wait till summer on that one.

• 21 cyprus // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM

NUFC,
    Thanks for the xmas present vs. Crystal Palace. This year, unlike two years ago when we were all a bit perplexed by our lofty position, we are looking the part. What has changed?
    Players, many of them have stepped up, or weren’t here then: Sissoko; Hats off AP, he’s one of the best right wingers in the league. Debuchy; top top player. Tiote; some people are eating humble pie. Ameobi; My turn. OK, he still NEVER scores, but he’s a good hold up player and intimidating. I honestly didn’t think he had it in him. Anita; You heard it here first, he’s better than Cabs, and this from a former critic. Santon; the team is so good these days that fans are picking on the new Maldini! Enough said. Will; What can I say, immense, and that includes the surprise. Gouffy; deserves France call up.
    AND,
    HBA looks the part again; Taylor and Obertan, former liabilities are now benched. I expect some excellent cameos from very good players who are unfortunately sidelined: Guti, Mbiwa, Cisse.

• 22 cyprus // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM

And Haidi.

• 23 cyprus // Dec 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM

On Cisse.
    Fans have given up, I haven’t. His skill with both feet is incredible, posts that he can’t control the ball etc. are unfounded. It’s all a confidence thing. And a matter of coaching. Unfortunately, Remy who is on an official slump himself, is not known for assists, so that doesn’t help much… The new CF we bring in (in January!) should be Bellamy-style, one that provides lots of assists and can score himself.

• 24 Santon03 // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Lilo

If we buy 3 in January window then I think we have to let go 2 or 3 players. I don’t know about Marv, what happened to him? could he be categorized as fail to settle in premier league?
    Obertan, he also failed to up his game after moving from MU.
    Saylor, other than homegrown, his attitude is unlike Willo. I never heard Willo complained publicly when he wasn’t in the team, Saylor expecting someone to make way when he is fit.

If we buy 3 players, I would let go 2 or 3 of these players. I still hope we could get a playmaker like Cabaye, we are depending too much on Cabaye imo.
    As far as Cabaye’s future, I don’t think he will go anywhere if we could go to europe next season.

• 25 Santon03 // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:12 AM

cyprus

I think Cisse will be better if we have a good productive target man like AC or Huntelaar or Ba.
    CB will not focus on Cisse and he won’t caught off-side too often if a tall striker knocking down the ball for him.

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Santon,
    We named 24 squad players at the start of the season. Leaving space for 1 player. Gosling and Tavernier are both listed in the 24 and currently are out on loan – that leaves us three spaces in the squad for players. We also have Ryan Taylor named in the squad who it is debatable whether he will be fit to play this season.

IF we signed three to take us to the maximum 25, we could keep Raylor in the squad, the only requirement then would be for one of the three signed to be classed as homegrown – if we are looking at players like Ince, Long, Zaha then all of these would fall into this category.

Financially for Ashley he may want to offload Marveaux/Obertan to bring people in, but it isn’t a footballing requirement to do so.

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM

On Cisse, I have no doubt he will score plenty of goals in the future. What I do doubt is it happening here. I think a change of scenery is needed by him, and if we could get 10million for him then that represents a good deal.

On his confidence, that should have ome back last eason with late winners against Anzhi, Fulham, or the one off his arse against West Brom. It didn’t so there is a bigger issue than that. Style of play is the main issue, and as our style is working for us, we are unlikely to change it to accommodate Cisse (and rightly so).

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Apologies for the missing letters, the dog decided to knock beer over my laptop over the weekend so some buttons are sticking and not working all the time.

• 29 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM

What midfield would fellow bloggers put out against Stoke with Tiote being suspended?

four midfield – two up front
    five midfield – one up front
    Anita, Cabaye, Sissoko, Goufron.
    Anita, Cabaye, Sissoko, Goufron, HBA

or heres a daft one
    bring in Hiadara at full back and push Santon into midfield
    Santon, Anita, Sissoko, Cabaye, Goufron

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Charlie,
    I’d play the four in midfield, Sissoko right, Goofy left, Anita and Cabaye in the centre. Shola and Remy up toop, give the Stoke centre halves a physical challenge.

Then against Arsenal I’d revert to the team that played Palace and Man U.

• 31 AaranD // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I’d go with 5 in midfield.
    Being defensive I’d bring in Yanga, can play DM good on the ball similar to Tiote.
    Being attacking I’d stick HBA behind Remy or on the wing and either shove Gouf up front or Sissoko in to the middle.

• 32 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM

It would be nice if we did something in January – you know strike while the iron is hot!

…upgrade those players who are not getting games and making an impact. Cisse is nver going to be great for, but he would be somewhere else. Jonas is past it as a PL player, Obertan never was a PL player.

In the summer we would. have to take a hard look at some of our youngsters and those who have turned 22 or so.

• 33 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Lilongwe Geordie
    I agree with the Stoke game – need Shola up front to do the physical ‘dirty work’ challenges.
    For Arsenal not sure what system I would play
    either
    flood the midfield to counter act their midfield
    or
    two up front as I do not think that their defence is the strongest/bravest

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Charlie,
    I think we need to flood the midfield against Arsenal. I agree their defence isn’t wonderful, but without he 5th man in midfield we may not get enough of the play to trouble them. Mertersacker is slower than an oil tanker and has the turning circle of a jumbo jet. Remy playing on is shoulder could do very well, where as physically he is more than a match for Shola.

• 35 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM