The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star To Continue Out In The Cold

8:25 am, Sunday, December 22nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Steven Taylor again didn’t make the bench for the game yesterday at Selhurst Park, where Newcastle easily beat Crystal Palace for our 5th away win of the season, and we were again wearing those lucky Brazilian type shirts, and the defense looked steady.

Steven Taylor

Steven Taylor - out in the cold at the moment

The 27 year-old has played only 45 minutes of first-team football this season, and has dropped down to 4th choice in center-backs, mainly due to being out injured again, this time with a hamstring injury.

Alan Pardew has said it would be silly for Newcastle to let Steven go, and we have to agree, but it cannot be easy for Steven not playing when he;s now fit.

Taylor had this to say in a Shields Gazette exclusive – before the game yesterday:

“I want to play football,” “I want to play as much football as I can.” “If I’m not going to get in the team, then obviously we’ll have to look at something else.”

“But at this moment in time, the manager has come out and said that, so we will have to wait and see. Hopefully soon, I’ll be back in amongst it.”

“I’ll wait to see what happens. The lads are playing at Crystal Palace. The main thing is that we win our games. We’ve got some massive games coming up.”

“I’m delighted I got 90 minutes under my belt with the Reserves, so I just need to keep it going. It’s always great to play.” “The thing I love doing is playing football. That’s what I want to do.”

“I felt good. I’ve just got to keep training, knuckle down and see what happens.” “The suspension was a big killer, but I’ve come back now,”

“For six, seven or eight weeks now I’ve been ready and feeling good. That’s all I can do. I’m ready and fit for selection.”

It’s a difficult situation for Taylor, but it’s due to other players stepping up to the plate and doing well while Steven was either out suspended for being sent off at Manchester city or being out injured.

It would be daft for Alan Pardew to allow Steven to go anywhere in January,  because as fate would have it – if we let him go – one of our remaining center-backs is almost certain to get injured.

That’s Murphy’s Law for you – which always seems to kick in at the wrong times – by definition.

Steven needs to fight for his place through the end of the season, for the good of the team, and things could then be looked at in the summer.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Premier League · Steven Taylor

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bearsize // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Please no

• 2 Scottiedog // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM

FA Cup soon so he will get his chance

• 3 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM

David Moyes double standards on diving are cringeworthy!
    Januzaj only dived because he thought he was going to get tackled? But he didn’t get tackled Moyes you t1t so yeah it’s diving you whinging muppet!

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I think this it good for him – Saylor that is, cause he has been very reckless him himself for many years (a bit like Shola)

…and it is paying of for Shola now and could as well for Saylor (if the attitude is there)

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

God there is alot of malware on this site when you are on and android device!

…don’t think I have ever seen a problem like this (Ed what have you done to this fine site? :( )

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

…should probably have been are instead of is

• 7 John Tudor // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM

should have left it down the bog

• 8 Greebol1892 // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM

4th-choice CB is the right spot for Taylor. We need him as injury cover but it should be Coloccini on the bench. Mbiwa is our best defender and a leader.
    I just don’t understand Colo’s continued failure at reading long direct balls. While he’s a good player, he ain’t as good as Mbiwa and he is no leader.
    I always feel we are vulnerable when Colo plays. Williamson has me eating humble pie ATM. Doing the basics very well but Mbiwa should have never been dropped.
    Anyway – cracking result yesterday and was great to watch us so controlled in possession. More of that please and cut out the meaningless punts forward.
    HTL!

• 9 Harley // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

It’s a shame what’s happened to Taylor. For years it looked like he would become our John terry, but he’s had such a fall from grace.

If he was in the team playing like willo at the moment I’m convinced he’d be in the England squad. However it’s willo taking all the plaudits and rightly so. But I don’t see any chance of willo getting in to the England squad. Strange that.

• 10 sweendog // Dec 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Jesper that’s the problem with blogs .. They all contain these redirects .. Use adblock and set up as a proxy .. This will stop these redirects or pop ups

• 11 Olivers Toon // Dec 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM

It stikes me that Williamson is playing well because he plays within himself. He knows he is not a world beater. He knows his stengths, he knows his weaknesses and he doesnt try to be anything he isnt. I love steven taylor but unfortunately he has always seemed to have this idea that he is better than he actually is. Williamson was completely out in the cold but has played really well to keep his place in the side. Taylor should do the same and if he doesnt then he can go somewhere else in my oppinion.

previous post: We Love Playing In This Yellow Kit – We Always Win