The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – It Was A Shame For Stoke

6:48 pm, Thursday, December 26th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has said after the game this afternoon, what everybody knew, that the two Stoke sending offs by referee Martin Atkinson, both within three minutes changed the game completely, and basically handed the points to Newcastle.

Loic Remy

Loic Remy – after scoring equalizer just before half time

Newcastle had not played well in that first half which ended up at 1-1 but Newcastle did everything right in the second half against 9 man Stoke and tore the opposition apart and it could have been more than 5-1.

This is what Alan Pardew told BBC Sport after the game:

“I thought the Stoke players conducted themselves brilliantly in the second half – against our strike force and down to nine men,”   “It was a shame for Stoke because the two sending-offs were a major factor in us winning in the manner we did.”

Newcastle now have 33 points from the first 18 games and 7 points form safety. 😀

And our goal difference is now up to +6 and after a poor first 45 minutes we imagine that Alan Pardew said some choice words at half time, and the lads came out like a steam train in that second half and for the job done to the delight of the Newcastle crowd.

Newcastle now welcome Arsenal to St. James’ Park on Sunday afternoon, after Arsenal went back to being league leaders when they beat struggling West Ham 3-1 at Upton Park.

That’s going to be some game.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Fair play to Rogers at Liverpool like . On Paper his team isn’t brilliant with the exception of Suarez and he has them in the title race and giving City a tough game at the Etihad .

Amazing to think they are missing Sturridge & Gerrard as well . One player I think HBA could learn from is Coutinho, his vision is brilliant and he links play so well . Benny is the better dribbler but if you could somehow mix in Coutinho’s interplay with Ben Arfa’s offence we would have some player on our hands.

• 2 manxpie // Dec 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM

manxpie // Dec 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

wwsbrd yeah but he’s obviously well liked and tbh the whole game showed the teams togetherness
    arfa shoulda had the 1st pen but remy needed a goal
    remy shoulda had the 2nd to get his hatrick but cisse got it and tbf wat a penalty for someone low on confidence
    plus you could say in the last game ameobi should’ve had that penalty but arfa got it
    seems a great team spirit to me throughout the whole squad great to see!

• 3 manxpie // Dec 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

bpc i think arfa did mix it up alot more today tho definately more than he used to so good signs?

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 26, 2013 at 6:57 PM

manxpie…you need to stop over-analyzing what others are writing or misinterpretate deliberately!

…it is really counterproductive!

Ruddy…yeah I actually think Santon is quite good for most parts and like both him and Debuchy as our att. fullbacks. Sadly other players make them look bad at times because – in my book – they are not doing what they are suppose to be doing in a 4-3-3.

The same with Benny! The difference here is that Benny has sadly been off form lately and Pardew has been right in benching him.

I wrote something about this earlier today (read it again if you like :) still counts as my opinion on the matter)

…and Ruddy well spoken today about Benny and the match mate – that is what sets you off compared to some other on here mate 😉

*Disclaimer: that doesn’t mean Ruddy’s opinion counts mote than others if that could be misread by any means!

• 5 WWSBRD // Dec 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM

manxpie
    Tbh I’d of had Cabaye taking the pen but ur right Remy was gifted it first and was pretty poor but I see the sense in it. Cisse getting it was great too see though and got a big cheer.

The togetherness is a big difference from last season imo and Cabaye seems to be back to the bloke we bought not the jaded figure we saw last term

• 6 lesh // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Pardew felt sorry for Stoke eh? That’s the way it goes, you win some you lose some!

• 7 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM

…I fell sorry for the Stoke supporters!

• 8 WWSBRD // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM

jesper
    When Santons got space he’s good but makes a fair few mistakes and his ventures forward often get him (and the team) into trouble

He needs to think more or Haidara will be taking that spot because he looks a gem every time he gets on the pitch for me

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM

*feel

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Yo…I was quite happy with Santon today – he is not without fault, but I like him (the same with Debuchy and he has got alot of stick on here as well)

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Maybe it just fits into how I like my football :)

• 12 WWSBRD // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM

jesper
    Really? I thought he was bang average today first half (same is Sissoko imo) but when Stoke went down to 9 men they started to get a grip on the game

I’ve been impressed with both our fullbacks this season but Debuchy has been outstanding since City away whereas Santon has been hit and miss for me, Gouffran does a heck of a lot down that side much like Guti before him

• 13 manxpie // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM

jesper i was just saying! since last time your opinion got challenged in anyway you through a hissy fit!!!
    and then after swansea you were on your high horse letting us all know that the manager got it wrong so as i say “just saying like!!”
    wwsbrd yeah its defo good to have the real cabeye back and i just hope his hand love (not in that way you dirty buggers!) celebrations to the fans actually means something!

• 14 Ciaran // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Jesper

I like my full backs to be able to defend first and attack second. Santon doesn’t do either to well enough a standard to warrant being in our team. Debuchy has proven to be twice the player Santon is.

If he could stay fit, I would like to see Sadio in the team for a run of games and see how he compares with Santon. I reckon he will easily show himself to be the better full back.

Santon is tidy with the ball at his feet, but he needs to translate that into producing something of worth for the team. Look at his defensive positioning, he never closes down the crosser, rarely gets a block in and is rubbish in the air.

Recent games showed he was getting better but every so often he puts in an abject display like today’s first half performance and it is all undone.

He is not a bad footballer, but he is a terrible defender. In my own personal opinion obviously.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Some website on Owen commentating
    “And here it is. The smelliest nugget in this big barrel of festering crap kernels: it’s been confirmed that Michael Owen is going to be the channel’s “lead co-com mentator”.No. Thank. You. The man is a dullard par excellence. The man talks in binary for crying out loud! That said, there’s a certain wry irony in having a colour commentator who drains all the hue from the world each and every time he opens his mouth.

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Yo…not many players were great in the first half sadly – Benny was immense for me today both in the first half and especially in the second half.

…Cabaye was great as well. I have probably forgot how most players performed by now 😉 but as I recall it most players only had one good half!

• 17 WWSBRD // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM

manxpie
    Damn right he applauds every time his (fairly poor) chant rings out. I think he’s at the right club tbh

jesper
    True but both those two annoyed me most first half. As for Benny I think he upset the team, I wouldn’t have him starting against Arsenal

• 18 yorkshireToon // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Krul – 6 didn’t see much

Debuchy – 8 bombed down the wing and looks better every game

Collo – 7 classy

Willo – 7 dependable and did the simple stuff

Santon – 5.5 (not quite a 5) looks poor defensively gets beat like a striker who can’t be bothered far too often, time for haidara for me

Cabaye – 7.5 controlled play good goal

Sissoko – 5 misplaced passes, poor header for Remys goal, couldn’t dribble, needs to go back out wide for arsenal

Anita – 6 did he play? Did what is asked, never lost the ball probably did a lot of work you don’t notice when you’re not looking for if

Gouffran – 7 keeps scoring got to stay in the team

Benny – 9 class unplayable (when so much space is given and we are dominating) will be hard for pards to drop him against arsenal. I think he should but I don’t think pardew will.

Remy – meh sign on and I’ll praise him. Just annoyed I guess he took that first penalty and not Benny

What do we have to do to get in that top 4 surely this awesome form can’t last?!

• 19 manxpie // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM

jesper how can you defend a full back which his main job is defending?
    i’m gonna slate him now but last time i did that he had a great game
    the last 3 games he’s been shocking defending and attacking for me he needs a break and hiadara is a very capable swap
    but in these last few games he’s gave away balls in bad, bad positions plus in easy defendible positions teams get there crosses in!
    i would love to see wat hiadar does with a couple of games

• 20 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Ruddy…most of what you mention to me is down to how we as a team don’t seem to get the 4-3-3 formation right!

…we sit too deep and at the same time we want our fullback to att. giving us the advantages in midfield.

If you have recorded the match try have a look again and tell me how many players are in and around the box and how many players are in movement?

…and try having a look at how we sit deep defending – that takes alot of stamina from our fullbacks. And our central mid is not always closing the gap between our defense and midfield.

Debuchy is running like a horse that is why he look so good 😉 he is all over the place, be he as well gets out of position at times!

A am happy mate :) sorry to disappoint you! lol

• 21 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM

manxpie…modern football is not that simple anymore! Fullbacks are not just defenders anymore when you play modern continental football!

…I have no problem what so ever defending Santon!

You can quote me on that if you would like!

I Jesper Fuglsang defend Santon and think he is doing very well – and Benny…what a game! Thank you!

Remy you have been poor lately and Shola you haven’t scored a PL goal in 12 month – and how many assist? If defenders defend what does forwards do?

• 22 The next Mike Williamson // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM