The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle vs Stoke – Match Preview

9:41 am, Thursday, December 26th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

nufc emblemstoke-city-fc

Newcastle have had a few slip-ups this season as Alan Pardew has talked about today – but not too many, and our only defeat at home was that shocker when we went down to Hull City 3-2 after being ahead 2-1 at half time – and we just have to hope this afternoon against a beatable Stoke City we don’t have any slip-ups.

The players are in great form right now and coming off what was simply a superb performance and win in London last Saturday, when Newcastle looked a god and professional side in the pouring rain, and outfought a Tony Pulis Crystal Palace team, who are again fighting against relegation.

Alan Pardew has all his players fit and well for this game, but Cheick Tiote will miss this game because of a one game suspension after picking up his 5th yellow card of the season at Selhurst Park last weekend.

And the manager has already said he would have picked the same side for today’s game had Cheick been available, so we think Newcastle will play in a 4-4-2 formation today with big Shola Ameobi coming in up front to partner Loic Remy, and Vurnon Anita keeping his place  in the starting eleven and dropping into the defensive midfield role.

So given that, this is the side we think Alan will field today.

Krul
Debuchy Coloccini c) Williamson Santon
Sissoko Anita Cabaye Gouffran
Remy Ameobi
Subs: Elliot Yanga-Mbiwa Haidara Ben Arfa Obertan Ameobi (Sa) Cisse

Still no place  the bench for god players like Steven Taylor, Paul Dummett and Sylvain Marveaux.

The poll on the outcome of the game shows a high 78% think we will win this game with 14% opting for the draw.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Stoke City?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The keys to the game are that the defense can keep playing as solidly as they have done over the last few games, and that every player puts in a good shift, like they did at Selhust Park last weekend.

If that happens, then Newcastle could get all three points, and that will set us up for a monumental game against Arsenal in the early kick-off game on Sunday afternoon, and the game will be beamed live around the world.

A draw would also be an OK result but Newcastle have done well this season in turning potential draws into wins, and the goal this afternoon will definitely be to get another win – our 7th in the last nine league games.

If we can do that Geordie spirits will be soaring even higher than they are right now.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Match Preview · Newcastle News · Premier League

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 AmericanMagpie // Dec 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I’m drunk and its 1:48AM. No way I’m making it to game time…..

…..but that doesn’t mean I can’t give a prediction.

2-0. Remy and Sissoko

• 2 bishopblaize // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Hope everyone had a canny Crimbo .. I finished off with the porcelin whaling machine (felt like a teen again) .. Don’t Mix the Grape & Grain

Anyway let’s have a Winner of Game Today

I’ve had source say 60-1 for West Ham n Sunderland Wins (add the Toon to that)

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM

American,
    Record the game and stay away from the blog. Simples.

• 4 Graeme // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM

If we play as well as we did against Chelski, Pa.lace, there is absolutely no reason we shouldnt win this game. Stoke will be tough to break down, they are likely to defend with 8 men and its up to us to do the business at SJP.

A good 2-0 win for the TOON

• 5 AmericanMagpie // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Jail.

I am definitely recording.

and I should definitely should stay away from the blog, since there is not option to delete messages lol. This stuff is written in stone, essentially.

• 6 bills-son // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Jail,

Are you saying Ashley and Pards got the players together and said listen lads you’d better pull your socks up because a few hundred fans have marched and if we don’t get in the top six it could be thousands next?

And then. … Bingo, we win six out of eight?

Somehow how I very much doubt it:-)

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Bills,
    Exactly.

• 8 bills-son // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Jail,

Do you also believe Prince Phillip ordered the murder of Princess Di and that the moon landings were shot in a Hollywood studio?

• 9 Hatem's better than Messi // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Well I didn’t get what I wanted for Christmas.
    The sociopath still owns my footie club.

Other than that it was a good day.
    Hope everyone else had a fun time.

Three points today and a quality performance would go down better than the turkey sarnies.

HWTL

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Bills,
    I believe Dianas death was a tragic accident and the yanks did indeed put a man on the moon, I also believe Jail’s too good for Ashley.

• 11 bills-son // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Jail,

Some on here believed a story that Ashley went off his nut when we beat Chelsea because he didn’t want us higher than 10th.

You belueve he we are 6th because of the march.

I believe we want to finish as high as possible and we are doing well because Pardew is picking the right players for a system they have confidence in. Simple as that.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Three points and the mackems getting something from Everton would be a great day, but then again so would three points and seeing the mackems getting humped.

• 13 Dennis Twice // Dec 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Attack Toon attack attack!

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Bills,
    I don’t believe for a minute that Ashley went mad about us winning as he doesn’t care either way as long as we hover above tenth.

• 15 Transfer Sage // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Bills

I criticise Ashley a good bit, but as I always have said I agree with the players bought and sold, my only issue is the timing on a few of them resulting in a gamble.

Not having a carroll replacement on the radar, even if we had to pay over the odds…lucky best stayed fit and also got goals..two things he never did consistently before or after that 5 month period.

Not getting in debuchy/another defender at the start of last season, massive gamble which nearly backfired, very lucky to have some players like sissoko do well on debut couple weeks to get us much needed points.

On the plus side he got cisse when we were in good form and doing well and has gradually improved the squad since we were relegated, got rid of deadwood and brought younger, hungrier players with more overall skill.

My main criticism always has been how he treats fans as customers not as fans who have deep history and love for the club, a lot more discussion should go between ashley/his people and fan groups over big decisions like renaming the stadium/controversial sponsors (wonga)/and other plans to develop the club.

I’m not saying he needs fans permission for everything, but it would be nice to talk openly as to why he is making these decisions and at least give fans an input into it all.

• 16 Transfer Sage // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

bills

I think the start of the season was noticeable we tried to keep the ball on the deck a lot more. What I also thought was that it was getting us nowhere as we weren’t creating chances and just keeping the passing to our own half.

Since we continued with the system Pardew has surprised me and got it working, something I said on here I didn’t think he’d be able to do. I am glad to say I got it wrong. I think we now have a good balance, create chances, look tighter at the back and have overall better play.

Long may it continue…..for me nothing to do with the march, ashley, fans anything….just pardew and the players settling in.

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

TS,
    Very good post.

• 18 Transfer Sage // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

jail

which? first or seocnd?

• 19 Tsunki // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Must admit I am pleased that Pards is confounding my opinion of him. Well done, I say and long may it continue. If he can finally dispose of the mackems before they take the plunge he may well be forgiven for his past misdemeanours :)

• 20 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

On about the Mackems
    Wouldn’t surprise me they get there first away win at SJP
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    hope not!!!!!!

• 21 roy // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

The mighty Mags, will win today 4-1, against a very average Stoke, side. Remy, will rediscover his goal scoring form and its onwards and upwards “Haway the lads”!

• 22 Rotonda heights // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Roy

what will you say if we only lose or draw?

Confidence is fine, just not over confidence is all.

• 23 LGFUAD21 // Dec 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Key to today is who is going to replace canapés creativity because you can bet he’ll be more defensive in tiotes absence. Almost fancy this one for Benny. He looks hungry at palace. Either that or we pass around without pressing too much and switch Benny on at the half to shock them.

• 24 Munster Mag // Dec 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM

bit concerned re over confidence. 2-2. late goal from us. cabaye and shola

• 25 roy // Dec 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Rotonda, belt up son! Your starting to sound like an old woman.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Dec 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Mike Ashley, Vincent Tan, Venkys.
    Axis of evil.

• 27 Ted Bundy // Dec 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Well I went for a 3-0 against Palace on my Sky Super6 and gone for one better today – 4-0 – HBA, Remy, Sissoko and finally one for Cisse from the bench!

• 28 Jarra // Dec 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Hull Winning

• 29 Jarra // Dec 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

If unable to see the match either on TV or get to St James’ then a good web site worth trying Sport Lemon TV

• 30 Ted Bundy // Dec 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM

:lol:

Hull 2 up!

• 31 Graeme // Dec 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Hull 2 – 0 Manure WOW

• 32 Shadow_Shearer // Dec 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Is the game on sky?? Or anywhere else I can catch it???

• 33 Tsunki // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

LGFUAD – Canapé? Hehe hehe

• 34 Ted Bundy // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM

PL going mental on boxing day as per usual. Always seems to be bags of goals around this time of year.

• 35 Tsunki // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Hmm the natural balance restored by Rooney then.

• 36 Ted Bundy // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

FFS – Hull slacked right off and now it’s level.

• 37 Tsunki // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

It’s on SS1 btw.

• 38 DokToon // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

gmorning all,

hope everyoen had a good holiday…

im pessimistically optimistic about today v stoke…. i see a 2-1 win, i hope ;)

• 39 Jonny // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Ben arfa starts

• 40 Ciaran // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

How is everyone folks hope you all had a fantastic Xmas! Hoping for a win today, on paper it should be another 3 points but we need to roll out the clichés of ‘there are no easy games’ and ‘we need to avoid overconfidence’ et al

The reality is that with the first 11 we have, we should be easily disposing of Stoke at home with little to no problem at all.

Back to HBA, he has very little time to either prove himself worthy of another contract or show himself worthy of the inflated transfer fee he would undoubtedly be touted for. I don’t think we will sell him because clubs will not pay what we think he is worth, nor do I think the club will offer him a contract that he thinks he is worth.

Ideally I would love to see him up his game. Much like Williamson and Shola have been over-performing relative to their abilities, HBA has not even been performing to his ability in any way, shape or form.

Steady as she goes, keep the same side that is playing so well, ideally with Anita, Cabs and Tiote in a midfield 3 so we can control possession, but I trust Pards to make the right call.

• 41 Ciaran // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Pardon me chaps, did not realise that Tiote was suspended.

• 42 DokToon // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

ciaran,

you forgot ” we are a deep side,”, :)

• 43 Ciaran // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM

With that in mind I would like to see Sissoko moved from RW to midfield, where either he or Anita can play CDM while HBA could slot in at RW. He played well at Palace in the 2nd half so let’s see if he can do it for 90 mins, although I would venture a guess that Pards may switch to a 4-4-2 with Shola in for Tiote

• 44 Ciaran // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Dok

Deep as in with squad depth or with our philosophical capacity? I would imagine Tiote would come out with some gems that would leave Aristotle scratching his head, and it has been said that Krul is a modern day Descartes… haha

• 45 Ciaran // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Btw Merry Xmas Dok (or happy holidays as the folks across the pond tend to say) did you get much practice drinking…after all you need it haha

• 46 DokToon // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM

ciaran,

tryign to think of overused cliches… i.e. “the check is in the mail”… “europe is way to much for our squad”… , and my favorite, “close only counts in handshoes and horse grenades”….

• 47 DokToon // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

merry xmas to you and yours as well ciaran… i practiced alot last night, and boy am i unmotivated at work today, lol

• 48 ginola_tonic // Dec 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Ciaran you sound a bit pompous. Happy boxing day

previous post: It’s Been A Terrific Season – Not Many Fans Moan About That