This Place Will Be Rocking Against Arsenal

Newcastle beat a 9 man Stoke City side this afternoon in front of  51,665 fans, after referee Martin Atkinson had sent two Stoke players off – Glenn Whelan and Marc Wilson – in the last five minutes of the first half,  after Stoke had gone ahead 1-0 though a great goal from Oussama Assaidi after 29 minutes and Stoke had been the better side – but then Newcastle equalized just before half time, and then overwhelmed 9 man Stoke and scored four goals in the second half to win their 7th game of the last nine.

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Newcastle United v Stoke City - St James' Park

Yoan Gouffran scoring his 7th gal of the season this afternoon

This is what Alan Pardew told Sky Sports after the game:

“The team wasn’t quite working as I’d liked, and I was looking to change it at half-time.” “The sending offs changed it.” “We were as clinical as you could be in the second half.”

“To be fair to Stoke, they did very well in the first period.” “I was disappointed Stoke took the lead, and they had a good footing.”

“Whelan gets sent off for two silly incidents, and I don’t think he has much to complain about.” “Then they’re down to nine and really struggling, and we were clinical after that.”

“I thought the first booking was arguable, which was maybe what Mark Hughes was upset about. The second one was definitely a yellow.”

“We’ve got a lot of attacking options, which was nice.” “It was difficult for Stoke, and I have a lot of sympathy for their players. They were very professional, a credit to the game.

“This place will be rocking, and Arsenal know that. It’s a difficult game for both of us, so let’s see how we match up.” “We have depth and a lot of quality, and we’re working very hard. We’re difficult to beat.”

St. James’ Park will be rocking all right on Sunday afternoon, and I had better have those blood pressure pills handy – just in case we win that one as well. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• yorkshireToon

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Krul – 6 didn’t see much

Debuchy – 8 bombed down the wing and looks better every game

Collo – 7 classy

Willo – 7 dependable and did the simple stuff

Santon – 5.5 (not quite a 5) looks poor defensively gets beat like a striker who can’t be bothered far too often, time for haidara for me

Cabaye – 7.5 controlled play good goal

Sissoko – 5 misplaced passes, poor header for Remys goal, couldn’t dribble, needs to go back out wide for arsenal

Anita – 6 did he play? Did what is asked, never lost the ball probably did a lot of work you don’t notice when you’re not looking for if

Gouffran – 7 keeps scoring got to stay in the team

Benny – 9 class unplayable (when so much space is given and we are dominating) will be hard for pards to drop him against arsenal. I think he should but I don’t think pardew will.

Remy – meh sign on and I’ll praise him. Just annoyed I guess he took that first penalty and not Benny

What do we have to do to get in that top 4 surely this awesome form can’t last?!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Jail’s too good for Ashley.

• DokToon

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM

can see it now, ed’s health update amended to read:

“had a minor head injury sunday after seeing our lads win v arsenal. I jumped for joy, and my head went through the ceiling, denting the sheetrock 3 inches in”

careful ed 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Yo…I am not sure I understood your last post; what do you mean about Benny upsetting the team? 🙂

• 89Norcal

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I won’t even put much stock in that 1st half anymore, considering Tiote will be back for Arsenal and Stoke are just a physical team. I really hope our diagonal passes are sharpened up though, so many went wayward today, and those are an effective tool for us to switch it out to Debuchy or Sissoko.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM

manxpie…just read your post #13 on the last thread – funny have we seem to remember things differently!

…maybe I should go back and find that conversation (the whole concept of it)

Seem to remember it had something to do with your lack of manners?

About the Swansea game the were no one trying to claim a high horse; I just called it as I saw it!

• Transfer Sage

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM

jesper

one happy man tonight i take it? seeing benny start and do so well. For me benny was excellent today, he still did some good runs, beating people but also played the passes when required and some very good ones at that. What summed him up was the first goal, benny of a month ago would have gotten there and smashed a shot, either a top corner rocket or a top stand howler…but today he played it into remy, i think he played using his head a lot more than in the past year, which is good as he has bags of talent.

On the point about upsetting the team…well for me what upset the team was sissoko in the middle, i think he needs the space out wide for his runs and to be able to track the fullback….in the middle there seems to be to much going on for him and he gets crowded and doesn’t seem to know which man to pick up…that’s why we looked worse in my opinion.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM

*have = how

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM

”damn! meant to say context of it 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM

as for santon….i don’t think he is anywhere near debuchy in terms of offensive of defensive play, especially the defensive stuff…..what he does well is runs with the ball and eats up the ground when dribbling, advances us forward well…..there is still time for him to sort his defensive play out though….he just needs to keep working.

But as somebody else mentioned, i wouldn’t object to seeing haidara have a run, he looks a good fullback.

• Krul To Be Kind

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Jesper

HBA upsets the team because he is too ‘offensive’…

I’ll get my coat

Great result today, we may just have Arsenal worried here, Jesper was right on the last thread when he said mentioned the gaps between Mid and Def and Mid and Attack, we need to get that sorted too much space will play into their hands, MYM in for Collo because with his pace they can play higher up… Collo drops too deep to limit the exposure of his lack of pace creating huge gaps when the midfield are coming back, still a top player mind but might get caught against the quick movement of Arsenal… Willo just needs to man mark Giroud he is just as slow as Willo!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM

TS…I am very happy mate 🙂 thought everyone more or less did great!

…Pardew got it right today and I am glad he started Benny and I am thrilled that he has repaid Pardew and us with such a great performance 🙂

Personally though I thought the team got the tactics wrong in the first half (not Pardew) – both Benny and Gouf sad too deep and when ever Remy went wide there were no one in the box!

We had nothing until Stoke saw red (and rightly so if you agree with the rules)

• manxpie

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM

jesper be my guest mate but btw lack of manners has fusk all to do with opinions
    and how you deal with other opinions!
    but go on please print wat you find!??

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Krull… 😀 (you bastard lol)

…but you redeemed yourself with that last part mate!

• 89Norcal

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Based off his performance today, I reckon the best way to stop Giroud is to pass him the ball.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

manxpie…i have no problems with your opinion, just your lack of manners and respect!

…I have told you that before! That was the same problem I had with tads, but tads and I seem to have sorted that and moved on.

We can get to the same conclusion, but it will take some doing on your part. The ball is in your court!

• manxpie

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

89 norcal yeah i blamed that on the weather vs palace but after today maybe not!

• Rooster

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Oi jail get a bit of humble pie eaten u were full of it when we were struggling, and i gave you an apology, i think you owe a few on here, you have had your day or two or three in the sun havnt you.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM

jesper

yeh i think we sat off, stoke did ok though so maybe they just had us pinned back a bit and we struggled to get out….the way we play is also influenced by the opposition and stoke are on a good run with some big scalps in the league this month.

I’d like to see tiote in for ben arfa though for arsenal, i know you probably wont like or agree with that but i do think it will help us as it’s how we have played well recently.

Whats nice is we know we now have 2/3 ways of setting the team up which work, so one or two injuries shouldn’t be catastrophic like last year.

• WWSBRD

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM

jesper
    The balance of the team mate, when he’s not been there it’s Newcastle United playing against whoever when he starts it’s more like Newcastle United featuring HBA against whoever

Always leads to the give the ball to Hatem “tactic” aswell

• manxpie

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM

jesus jesper tbh your infuriating!
    but i laugh it of now
    as i pointed out before you said its hard sometimes on here because of other posters opinions!!
    but when i questioned not offensivley and i doubt tads did either your opinion which on a blog is there to be questioned you went of on 1!
    so i would say to you maybe take a look at your own manners hey!??
    if its so important to ya!

• Transfer Sage

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM

wwsbrd

I know what you mean, and i feel bad as they rely on ben arfa, he cant help it if they stand and wait for him.

but I do think the team plays better without him, they all stand up and work hard, with him they rely on him too much.

• Krul To Be Kind

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Norcal @15

Quality!!!

• Transfer Sage

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Also, as people keep saying we need a shola upgrade, would anyone be tempted to try and get benteke?

The lad has only got 4 goals and none since september I dont think, so football being the current way it is he is almost a forgotten man when transfers are mentioned now…maybe we could get him slightly cheaper.

I think a move to us would do him the world of good as well, villa are a struggling team and he carried them last year, it’s a lot to ask him to do it again. With us he has remy, cisse, shola, gouff, cabaye, benny…all players who will take some pressure off him and give him the chance to settle down and get his groove back.

I know he still might be too pricey as villa won’t want to sell, but randy leaner has sold off a lot of key men the last few years.

• santonthenewmaldini

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Santon has been poor think he needs a rest but people on here are as usual being too harsh on one player its always a witch hunt on here he wasnt awful today in fact set up a goal ! Our midfield was the problem n the first half as I have said many times Sissoko is not a central midfielder he is a modern day wide player its because he looks like Yaya Toure in build but it does not make him the same player

Remy as well is struggling playing up top against teams as the central striker he is much more dangerous wide left forward as he gets more space as teams are just bullying him is better when we are on the counter attack will get space against Arsenal

On Arfa he was poor again in the first half he needs to be given a free role as the ball never came to him 11 versus 11 stepped it up when they had a couple of men off which i suppose was great that we were ruthless

Cant wait for the Arsenal game though would love us to chop them down at home

• manxpie

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM

sage tbh i hope to god that them goals for remy has spured him on coz he’d be the 1st player i’d drop today
    but shows how well tiote has been playing this season they had far to many chances in the middle or edge of box
    would be very happy with a draw with arsenal
    so 4-5-1 will do me but the way we’re playing recently we’ll prob win!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Yo…I actually thought the balance was spot on today – for the fist time this season when Benny has started the rest of the team were focused and in-tune 🙂

…it made it impossible for the two Stoke players who were marking Benny to know what to do – and Benny always had two options – either take ’em on or pass the ball (knowing his team mates would make us proud)

If we can take that into the Arsenal game then I would have no problems starting Benny – and honestly I cannot see why you lot are so worried about starting Benny all the time? 😀

• manxpie

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM

how much you reckon sage? if its a summer move and this form continues then i think a 12mill might get him but in january i think it’d have to be 20 mil at least for them to let him go?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM

manxpie….either way you spin it I still don’t have a problem with your opinion – still it is with your lack of social blog manners and respect!

• Krul To Be Kind

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM

TS

I think that was a lack of confidence from our players and an ego crusade when HBA was a regular, he looked a team player from what I seen of him today… disciplined too (wtf!!!) and the team know each and everyone one of them is a good ‘footballer’. The interchanging and 1 touch football around the box for Cabaye’s goal was mouthwatering even HBA passed it when he created openings… he looks like he believes in the team he is playing in too which is a bonus.

When everyone in black and white celebrated with Cisse on the penalty shows the togetherness within the squad… the whole team wanted him to end the drought, he is going nowhere in January by the looks of things.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM

jesper

not worried about starting benny, just think we have played our best stuff without him…whether his fault or not, or just a coincidence i don’t know myself, just think the past month and a half has been very good and he’s been on the bench…it’s certinly good knowing we have options now anyway and dont have to rely on benny to do the magical to win us points.

manx

I think remy is a goal scorer, thats his main feature but i also think he does a lot off the ball, making clever runs to drag defenders around, always looking to get in behind…i like him and even without goals think he has done well.

I think arsenal is a difficult game, they aren’t at the top level they were around a month or two ago but still a big threat. with walcott back they have a little less quality on the ball you get with wilshire/ozil there but he compliments the rest nicely with his blistering pace….it will be a big test for santon and colo that side on the weekend.

• manxpie

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM

just watching the qpr game
    they’ve got some players in that team like and there losing
    they should be walking that league with them players!

• Transfer Sage

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM

krul

Yeh i said today i thought benny looked a lot smarter, before beating his man he looked up to see his options more often….like i also said with the first goal, good pass into remy, a few weeks ago he’d had just shot and either scored a screamer or put it in the stands…so the lack of games has effected him in a positive way…he looked a bit fitter too i thought, has his acceleration over 5 yards back to beat men easily.

manx

I honestly don’t know, it’s worth asking i’m sure in january as a good world cup might triple his price….but also he might want to play for us, easier to look better in a better team…he has serious competition with lukakur for his spot, they have plenty other forwards too challenging him.

• manxpie

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:12 PM

as i say jesper i just laugh now but i thought i’d point out your post before just to show how your opinion counts more than anyone elses!
    sage he is a great striker but imo he has seemed off recently but that might be because he set his standard so high so as i said hopefully them goals will kick him on he certainly celebrated his 1st goal!! lol

• Oleg G

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Krul To Be Kind // Dec 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Great comment.

Said is so right.

Hatem looked like he is more trusting. Usually he would take some balls alone into the box, but today he passed it around too. And passed it back and to the side when he was under pressure.

But also the team moved better for him. Gave him passing options. He loves to pass when the pass will create something. Otherwise he will usually wait for a better option. But today he was more simple at times and didn’t wait for too long. that gave him also space to run without the ball and without pressure on him compare to other games when he was forcing it, while still holding the ball, and made the game in some situation static as players in our team saw him not being able to let go of the ball.

Hope he plays against Arsenal. It is a risk, but I want Pardew to give him that change. This player is a star. We need to let him show that, at least give him chances.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM

manx

I think remy is a very good striker, not great though. I think people (not saying you, just in general here and tv) seem to think he is a top top level player, which he isn’t. For me he isn’t a 30 goal a year man, but a solid 20.

So he won’t be at his best every game like a suarez, aguero, etc will but he will be very good to have around.

I think he had a 5 game baron spell was it? not great but not unexpected in my opinion.

• manxpie

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM

and btw jesper i ain’t the 1 spinning it!!
    go on then if your so confident find the posts that i was so bad mannered and that you DIDN’T come across as a massive hypocrite!!??

• WWSBRD

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM

jesper
    Tbh I didn’t think he offered himself too much in the first half which pushed Cabaye back and drew the whole team deeper

Don’t get me wrong though if he starts against Arsenal I won’t be upset just my opinion is Tiote comes in for someone and Sissoko works a damn sight harder than Benny will

Benny offers excitement but limited work rate

• WWSBRD

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Sage
    Think we are on the same page regarding Benny mate

• Krul To Be Kind

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM

TS

I noticed his burst of pace today again and as you say, he looked like he picked his options intelligently.

The competition for places and the versatility of the attacking players (cisse the exception) is really starting to show and pay dividends.

I really like the look of us at the moment, injuries permitted and think if we capitalise on the January window planning for next season allowing time to gel in during the run in with no pressure on them and kick off next season as last January’s purchases did. I will state on record now that I won’t be too disappointed if we don’t sign anyone as I have little expectations, but I know come January the 31st I will be if we don’t sign anyone of note, I will feel as frustrated as a midget with a yo-yo, cussing the board for not doing what is our god given right of having a marquee signing… but i’ll soon get over it.

HWTL’s