The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It’s A Good Example For Kids – To Be Able To Face Difficult Times

2:18 pm, Friday, December 27th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 189 Comments

When Loic Remy was fouled by Marc Wilson after 43 minutes in the game against Stoke City yesterday,  and Marc was sent off and we got a penalty, Loic Remy’s lack of goals continued as he hit the penalty too close to Sorensen in the Stoke goal, and the former Sunderland  goalie saved it too easily – and Loic’s goal famine continued.

loic remy stoke

Loic Remy – looks like he just scored another goal

But it was only for a minute before the Frenchman swept home the Newcastle equalizer, via a deflection, and the on-loan striker was back on track with his 9th goal for Newcastle this season, and then he added another one in the second half, as Newcastle overwhelmed nine man Stoke City.

And Loic has talked to the press today, and it’s obvious he was getting just a little worried about his lack of scoring in the previous five games:

“It’s true, there’s a moment when doubts do start coming into your head, but I wasn’t too worried. I knew it would come.” “I wasn’t sure when it would come back, but I knew it would come. I play in this team and I get fantastic service. “

“People always give me great balls into the box, so I knew it would come straight back.” “It’s a good example for kids watching, that in adversity you have to be able to react, you have to be able to face up to these difficult times.”

“But I got those two good goals and hopefully over the rest of the season, I will be able to get some more.” “Given the context of the game – two men were sent off, they went down to nine men – we had to go out there, we had the chance and we took that chance.”

“But when you look at the match, we knew we really had to go out there and earn those points and that’s what we did.””It’s true  Arsenal’s Thierry Henry was one of my idols when I was growing up, and it’s quite a special match for me, I have to admit.”

“But you need to remember that every game is important for us, especially these massive games like on Sunday where you have got two really top teams going against each other.” “That’s where you see the best and the men sort themselves out from the boys, so it will be a good test for me.”

“I know it will be a battle, but I think we can go out there and it would be a fantastic Christmas present for Newcastle fans.”

Well reading what Loic has said there in that second last paragraph,  Newcastle are a really top team – doesn’t Loic want to sign for a top team next month?

And Loic makes a good point there for any youngsters reading this blog, things are never easy in life and you always will face difficult times – but the test is how you handle the adversities – not the fact that you get them.

So some good philosophy and some good advice there from Loic – now to get him to sign permanently for Newcastle next month. :D

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Premier League

189 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM

lilongwe

from previous

When i say softened my stance I mean gone from calling for his head to being ok with him being here, not championing the man, but think he isn’t as bad for us as I once thought.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Sage,
    If he could finally come good on his initial promise (a key part of the very first plan for the club, pre relegation) of making the academy into a fist class facility and starting to push through some top class kids, some for first team, some for sale then I will be okay with him. That is one of my main issues with his tenure here.

Hopefully this new 100million training facility that has been spoken of is a sign f what is to come, and that investment in the youth set up will happen between now and the completion of the facility so we have a top class academy moving into top class facilities.

• 3 Newcastleforlife // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

my team for arsenal…

krul
    debuchy—colo—williamson—-haidara
    anita——–tiote
    sissokko——cabaye—-gouffran-
    remy

• 4 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

lilo

Thats a huge issue for me too, no good saying you want to cut costs and be self sufficient if you dont get your academy up to scratch

• 5 Newcastleforlife // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM

with ac milan struggling, anybody would like a deal with santon+10mil for el sharaway??????????

• 6 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM

newcastle for life

i’d love him here….wouldnt even offer santon, just buy him outright

• 7 Newcastleforlife // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM

ts

he is the next world class player who can be 50million+ in 3 yrs…
    who else will you go for if ma decides to spent 25million in jan?

• 8 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Ashley is doing a grand job despite the moaning on here be grateful we don’t have someone like Mr Tan who runs Cardiff like North Korea. We have a good team and with a few quality additions a great team, we are solvent unlike when Hall and Shepherd used the club like personal bank account.

• 9 asenski // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM

so many words from remy recently and nowhere mentioned that he would like to stay at sjp..
    if you ask him he will tell you..i’m just scoring and enjoying the life at top 6 team but if a bigger club comes …i mean we probably will be made look like a fool twice by this player

• 10 NUFCarter // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM

How can a player like Remy in a team like Newcastle be worried about a goal drought. It was always obvious it wouldn’t last and he’d be back to his scoring ways because hes just that sort of player.

Hes a very articulate lad too for a footballer.

• 11 NUFCarter // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM

NEWcastleforlife
    That would be the deal of the of the year and perhaps the deal of the decade for NUFC.

Would be a real coup for that offer.

• 12 ethiomag // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

what a trshing yesterday.i didn’t ge the chance to watch it but lookslike we’re on song.there is no one delighted like me.if we get a result against arsenal,we’re champions lg contenders.once again AP proves his critics wrong,great game setup.i also disappointed though with remy’s penality miss,their 1st pen taker should be ben then cab,anyway what a future ahead of us,it’s time to backup AP,owner and the players.can’t wait for super sunday clash…

• 13 asenski // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM

ashley will never pay more than 10-15 mil for a player imo
    when we look at the times of stepping another level about the transfer we have always missed that chance under ashley’s reign
    the campaigh when we finished 5th had to be the beginning of a time turning into tottenham’s model but we know what happened
    this happend when a football club is reigned by non-football owner

• 14 swemag // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM

New subject: When is our old friend Sam A at West Ham going to look for a new job? He sees o be doing a cracking job with his ‘brand’ of football….

• 15 Douglas // Dec 27, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Like all of you I have my doubts about Pardew and sever doubts about MA and JFK. But what we’ve got is a lot better than 5underland. All in all the clud as a whole has made progress. However we could do so much more..

• 16 Newcastleforlife // Dec 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM

NUFC carter…

we require a big deal….
    MANUTD had CR7
    Tottenham had Bale
    Liverpool – Suarez
    Everton- Barkley(almost there)
    we have Ben10 but we require somebody more consistent and score more goals..

its possible
    AC Milan struggling in 13th… Struggling for money as well.. Tough CL opponents and their fans rate Santon very highly.. we have the luxury to loose santon with haidara and dummet in wings

• 17 NUFCarter // Dec 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Newcastle for life
    I agree. Obviously An arsenal or Chelsea or a Roma will come in and compete with us, but why not show a bit of ambition and challenge other teams for players like El Sharawy a great, young player in a struggling team. to stamp our authority as a top 6 team we need a top signing like this payer.

• 18 NUFCarter // Dec 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Obviously Mike Ashley is the stumbling block, otherwise at the moment i reckon we could be quite an attractive club for El Sharawy, unless he wants champions league football which is a distant possibility for NUFC

• 19 Newcastleforlife // Dec 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

we need a big name for ourselves to attract more revenue…
    we have lost the plot to spurs,chelsea,everton,city after shearer era…
    we have a big chance of replacing spurs in top 6 with a great move in transfer window..
    they made a blunder in soldado,lamela(not sure) and now sherringham as manager…
    everton i blv will loose the plot in near future unless arklew steps up big time…
    beware of southamppton-good in transfer market,great accademy….

• 20 Quasimodo's tailor // Dec 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Sheringham? I think you mean Sherwood. What big name? Someone like Torres, Carroll or Adebayor?

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Roy,
    And Ashley’ s a kindly benefactor now just because we’re doing ok, not disputing that the squad is looking great atm, I just can’t get over how easily the fat fusker nearly threw it all away last season and I don’t trust him not to do it again.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Anybody saying how great Ashley is doing has obviously forgotten about last season already, people saying it was great management in the five signings in January when great management would have seen sensible investment in the summer, and as for sticking with Pardew I think that had more to do with his ridiculously long contract than Mashleys physic insight that the next Mourinho lies within the silver tongued lothario.

• 23 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Jail when you grow up and learn about how money works, then you’ll understand its not as simple as you seem to think it is running a big club, just ask Spurs Daniel Levy 100 million pounds later and they are no better than NUFC. Ashley is a very shrewd operator.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Roy,
    Any need for the petulant insult.

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Mackay sacked at Cardiff, Fat Sam will be sitting a little uneasier tonight with that news. Mackay very popular with the Hammers fans, and given the reasonable job he has done at Cardiff is a very likely candidate to step in to Fat Sam’s role.

In other news, Man City have snapped up a superb Nigerian prospect, Kelechi Iheanacho. I would have loved him at Newcastle, I mentioned him a few months back, but we don’t have links with clubs in Africa where he can play till he is eligible for a work permit. (Another issue that needs serious attention, not just Africa but around the world)

Strange move from the players point of view though. Moving to Belgium, Portugal, Holland or France would be far more beneficial at such an early stage than any Prem club. Sadly the people advising players don’t seem to realise that if a kid is good enough, then the big move will come, no need to force one at such an early age to the detriment of the player.

• 26 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Fans have short memories. When people come out with statements like ‘the good results have softened my stance on Ashley’ it makes me weep for our fan base. Our fans have short memories indeed, and attach our relative success in the wrong direction.

I for one will maintain that Ashley is not our for the good of our club, and has self-interest at heart to the extent that he will run the club in a prudent manner and does not care about realising the ambitions that we should all harbour for our club.

If he is wise, he will realise that 3 key signings could well put us in the mix for top 4, and bring him revenue that he could only dream of, but that would be a risky venture that would see large outlay for an outside chance of big rewards.

Where does his ambition lie? Ask yourselves this question when assessing the January and summer transfer windows. If he does indeed make the signings required for a push on top 4 then I may have to re-think my stance, but not a minute beforehand, and certainly not because we are on a good run of form.

As for ‘not many better owners in the PL’ – bloody wake up man. Do good owners s**t on a club’s heritage by selling the name of a football institution? Does a good owner crap over club legends? Does a good owner see us get relegated, nearly relegated and give us 1 top 10 finish in 6 years despite the fact we should be knocking on top 6 every year?

He’s one of the more prudent owners, but that does not make him a good owner. Losing respect for some people on this site.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Roy,
    I’m sure the Spurs fans would have been much happier if Levy had sat on the money and flirted with relegation before bringing a few in.

• 28 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Aye there is i’m fed up of reading your spotty geek view of the way NUFC is being ran. Ashley owns the club get over it and move on!

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I take it back, Kelechi is apparently set to turn down City and join Porto according to a African BBC journo on twitter. Feel much better on that now. :-)

• 30 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Before

NUFC & THFC only teams yet to score 3 goals in a PL match

After

NUFC MCFC & LFC only teams to score 5 or more goals in a PL match

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Spotty geek, and you’re telling me to grow up ha ha

• 32 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Ciaran you are deluded if you think these are bad days to be a supporter. You should have been around when the Mckeags held power.

• 33 saxonfenken // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Ciaran
    Never had much respect for your crap anyway, so who cares what you think

• 34 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Ha ha spotty right on!

• 35 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Saxon

Respect what I have to say or not, at the very least I provide an opinion on the club, whereas all you do is criticise what I have to say. Care to actually comment on NUFC or do you only pop in when you want to have a go? Sad angry little man.

As Jail humorously quipped a while back. Just because Pol Pot was better than Hitler, does not mean he was good.

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Roy,
    By that statement, effectively saying it has been worse so we should be happy, I take it you would be happy if we were relegated from the Prem as we have been much worse than that.

Just cause an earlier era was bad doesn’t mean people should settle for something they don’t see as right now, just because it isn’t as bad…

• 37 jazzyp // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Afternoon gents
    Asenki @9 I know what ya saying mate about remy giving us no 100% commitment to nufc but if he is to leave at the end of the season then just try and enjoy him for what it is. Whether its right or wrong without his goals this season we would not be where we are at present in the league.
    On our performance yesterday I thought we were very average at best for the first half but obviously came in to own against 9 men in the second. Imo given constant game time week in week out I think anita could become a real gem of a player,Gouffy proved his worth again as did remy. Bad points sorely missed check’s break up play and sissokho looked lost through the middle.

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Saxonfenken,
    The voice of reason.

• 39 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM

@36 did we get promoted again?

• 40 Blackley and Brownlie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I see Pardew’s blaming carver for the penalty miss 100%. He never takes any blame.

Pardew’s problem is that he spends most of the game scratching his head as to what to do when the game’s not going to plan. I haven’t a clue what he wanted from Sissoko yesterday.

• 41 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Roy,
    What has that got to do with my comment?

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Roy,
    Given that we are yet to be hypothetically relegated in this scenario, it is impossible to say if we have also been hypothetically promoted….

• 43 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM

@41 why don’t you buy the club and put all the alleged problems right.

• 44 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Roy,
    But say we didn’t come back up, and stayed mid table championship, not coming up, but never in danger of relegation. You would be happy right, because things have been worse in the past so there is nothing to moan about.

That is the basis of your argument when telling Ciaran that we should be happy cause it was worse under the McKeags compared with Ashley.

• 45 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Roy,
    haha, good come back. I can tell I am dealing with someone who knows what they are talking about, is articulate and is able to construct sensible and coherent arguments.

Bravo, Roy, you really showed me up there…..

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Lilongwe@45
    Lol.

• 47 saxonfenken // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Jail, ruddy and catchy and now Ciaran, all the same narrow minded haters, who constantly say the same thing day in, day out and woe betide anybody who has actually been a supporter for 63 years,
    I can assure you all that there have been several owners far worse, than Mike Ashley,
    If you want an opinion from a 17 and half stone, angry little man. who is very happy with our current league position.

The mistake made after we finished 5th 2 seasons ago was yes we did not sign enough players, only because wrongly as it turned out we though the younsters coming through would be good enough, sadly they were far from that, and the mistake was put right last Jan when it became evident. Those players ahave now come good.

We can all be wise after the event
    I will not respond anymore.

• 48 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I think the worst thing about the match yesterday was the fact Stoke will be in far worse shape for their trip to Spurs on Sunday.

Would love to see Tim Sherwood and Spurs fail spectacularly. Never liked either.

• 49 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

@44 ?

• 50 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Will I tell him or does anyone else want to do it?

• 51 NUFCarter // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM

This lad has serious problems. I would love to play first team football for a league 1 club like Swindon receiving a healthy wage packet in the process. Let alone having the chance to play for NUFC.

• 52 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Saxon

You’ve never offered an opinion in the first place so the fact that you’re retracting it is irrelevant. What is also irrelevant is your weight, unless you think you’re the big I am, silverbacking on an internet forum is very mature.

• 53 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Ciaran you do the honours about how great NUFC will be under your fantasy ownership.

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Saxonfenken,
    I certainly won’t ask your opinion on weight loss but would like to know if you by your elasticated trousers from George.

• 55 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Roy

Once more you’ve missed the point entirely. I was asking does anyone want to tell Saxon that I am Ruddy. Feel free to continue being a d**k on the internet though.

• 56 Mister Tuff // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Afternoon all -what are we talking about today – aha money and financial matters in respect of the Toon.
    Well now a couple of points that should not be missed. How to maximise profits -easy create a chain of companies to confuse auditors as to the true worth/profits of the original/end company. Easy stuff for high brow accountants.
    Have ancilliary sales from the original company -diverted into another company thereby masking/hiding any profits (club shop sales).
    Invent non believable reason to suggest no -one is interested in advertising at SJP -and use advertising space for free for the benefit of other companies. Thus making a tidy profit and not allowing for the true monetary value to be realised.
    Get into bed with dodgy loans company -who have now created offices abroad to channel some of their finances through Swiss Bank accounts -thus avoiding taxation of millions of pounds of potential tax revenue -and ripping off the British public.
    Fail to back safety accord for clothing factory buildings in Bangladesh -buildings where poor people have been burnt alive -in making clothes for one of Ashleys brands (Republic). No job in Bangladesh equates to starve – there’s no bloody Social Security there.
    Use money “obtained” as above to subsidise cheap seats at original company.
    For my sins I worked as a fraud investigator for many years -so no interjections from clever dicks who think that accounts with “errors” will get spotted by auditors/accountants -they do get missed.

• 57 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Ciaran
    sometimes you have to fall down to clear of the deadwood and rise up bigger and stronger…and thats what we did, I remember our team when we get relegated, players like Owen,Viduka,Martins,Duff and others big earners. Maybee it was good to go down, we lost some people who simply diddnt care about NUFC, they just wanted their wages and on the pitch they showed nothing special…Now we have players who respect NUFC, fans and care about this great football club, we have winners, especially Cabaye, yes he wanted to leave in the summer, but this shows you that he has big ambitions and wants to play on the highest level…and now look at our big stars from relegation season, who really make it in bigger team after that season? nobody Owen,Bassong,Viduka,Martins,Beye,Nzogbia,Given…Nobody make it, I personally respect and admire only Given….i am very happy that we have players with heart and ambition Debuchy,Cabaye,Colo,Sissoko,HBA,MYM….and some of them really love Newcastle and feel like geordies Krul,Santon and great characters as well Anita, Gouffran etc….I really love this team as it is, we are probably short of two,three good players to be real competitors for top four, maybee title

• 58 saxonfenken // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Well there is a thing, Ruddy has morphed into Dr Who, whatever next.
    Still in the same Tardis, and still as boing.

• 59 jazzyp // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Nufc carter
    the guy has proven time and time again that he is a lost cause,Plenty of promise but a total F@ck up.

• 60 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Saxon

In case you’ve not realised, this is a football blog, so if you’re not going to offer opinions on the club, will you please bugger off?

• 61 roy // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM

@56 its tuff at the top!

• 62 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Carter,
    I’ve passed the point of vilifying that lad. He obviously has serious issues that need proper help. Help that his family and friends should be encouraging him to take using the money he has earned.

• 63 89Norcal // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM

So this guy “dcdick” reckons that if Pardew wins the Prem or some other respectable silverware, he will finally earn his personal respect; but until that happens, the man should lose his job. Brilliant logic there.

I would be curious to hear the opinions of such people regarding Roberto Martinez’s job at Everton, who we are nearly dead on points with. A team with a manager who is held in pretty high regard among prem. fans and pundits.

Oh but I’m sure the comparisons of the squads will come up, despite the fact they have Lukaku, Deulofeu, Baines, Jagielka, Jelavic, Barkley, etc etc etc…most of whom receive heaps of praise in the press week in and week out.

Look at the table man, then slap yourself across the face for being so ignorant.

• 64 PUMMELLER // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I find the some of the ‘debates’ on here laughable.

Why cant you just stick to putting your own views forward? – i think some are showing their age with childish comments and silly insults based upon disagreeing with an opinion! ITS A OPINION!!!!!!!

My thoughts are that Mike Ashley doesnt spend unless absolutely needed and this is not to our benefit.
    We do however, have the best sqaud now that ive seen us have in numerous numerous years and we have been playing some good football.

I predicted top 8 and still think the same. I also said injuries would dictate our season and this has been proved correct.

If you agree, then great, if you dont then dont reply with an insult, put your own thoughts down sensibly and in a structured manner.

And lastly, enjoy the good times we are having!!
    We are Newcastle United and you should know if you have followed us for long enough, every positive will probably follow or be followed by a negative so enjoy the positives at the very least or you’ll have a miserable time.

Love you all (barring you rude moaners!)

Happy xmas and New Year
    HWTL!

• 65 Rooster // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Ciaren, Jail, ive had to fight quite a few demons concerning my support of MA, the last summer window bugged the hell out of me, we all know MA is capable of chucking another bomb in how for the next one i dont know they come out of left field dont they!!!

They play with our heads to a massive extent, he has a certain way of operating, a lot of the time it winds us as fans right up, whats next?/ a good winter window or are they happy what we have to see us through, even though we i would all imagine would say a couple of real good signings might see us near to the holy grail of the champions league, i hope he does go down that way, but who knows but him.

Thing is can he win either way with you two, if we get in to the champs league yous will say he could have done it earlier with proper investment, if we dont get in yous will say he did not invest enough and could have done, its a negative spin waiting whatever happens at the Toon.

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Toonfan,
    You know what you could be right, getting us relegated was yet another master stroke by business genius Mike Ashley.

• 67 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Beefman,
    You obviously haven’t been reading the blog that long, I defended Mashley that season we finished fifth and people were still having a go.

• 68 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Rooster

If we managed CL football, and are consistently challenging top 6 then that would be indicative of a proper plan. If you think he has shown any form of a plan then you’re deluding yourself.

If you think everything that happens is a negative spin waiting to happen, I could likewise say that all those who are crowing about our recent good form and are attributing it to Ashley are mindlessly spinning things in a positive way when the reality does not stack up with that approach at all.

I will possibly change my approach if we approach transfer windows with some ambition, our 2 recent summer windows would seem to indicate that he is happy to coast by with what we have and only invest if we look like we’re in trouble. I’m willing to step back and assess the winter window to see if he has changed his approach.

• 69 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

ToonFan8,
    A bit harsh saying what those players went on to do after us. Viduka was on his last legs, as was Duff but still had a creditable spell at Fulham making Europa League final, Owen won Prem title, Martins went and played Champions League then came back to these shores and won the league cup. Beye was in his 30′s by then. Only really N’zogbia and Bassong had much of a career left in them.

Still, I understand your point on that. That was the view I took at the time, in fact I was slightly disappointed more of them didn’t leave to be replaced by younger hungrier players.

• 70 89Norcal // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

@Rooster

To that point, there will always be s***sters, plain and simple, and care more about validating their opinion that the success of the club.

You see them here constantly. They are the ones who come on after a victory and whine about Pardew or Shola or Willo because their opinions are in jeopardy of being proven wrong.

I was happy about last Jan. because I felt MA turned a new leaf. Then it became apparent he was doing the minimum required job to keep his team up.

• 71 achtoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

HaHa, Ciaren ‘bring him revenue that he could only dream of’ that would be billionaire owner your talking about. the one who places million pound bets in the casino?

• 72 jazzyp // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Question- Would you swap Ashley for Vincent tan ????
    personally would sooner have the Fat Controller than Honk Kong Fui

• 73 saxonfenken // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Glad I am wasting your time, winding you up is the easiest thing in the world, big bait but only a little fish.
    Sorry, for not hanging on your every word, so as you so nicely say B****R Off, I am going had my fun with you yet again.
    bet you hate Pardew for getting us to 6th, must have really spoilt the years end for you

• 74 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

jail
    no it was no good for us, and very painful at times…it wasnt Ashley fault, if you look at team which fall down and salaries at that time, we were maybe 5-6 best on paper, but players werent hungry for wins, but only for money…now we have players hungry for wins…Ashleys fault was with Keegan, I remember, he brings Wise, total shit, he brings some bad players Xisco and others, when Keegan wanted Modric and he was ready to sign for us…but something happened…but from that time I think he brings healthy squad ang very good players

• 75 NUFCarter // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Toonfan
    I agree. its hard to judge where we would be now if we hadn’t been relegated, but all the players that left in 2008/2009 have seen their careers gone to pot. Cacapa, Geremi, Owen, Martins, Beye (was player of the season if i remember rightly) and Duff.

Since then we have always had a top squad, filled mostly with grafters that gave everything.
    This is the best squad we have had for years and its only getting better, i would only replace cisse for 2008/09 Martins only because cisse has had that drought. In my opinion cisse is a much better striker in terms of finishing (on top form)

• 76 PUMMELLER // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Jail

good example

Toonfan didnt say it was a plan from mike ashley

just that it didnt work out all that badly

got rid of a bunch of c***s and slowly replaced people who get what it means to play for us.

you return with no counter, just a childish, bitchy reply based on not reading the comments properly.
    this is all you do

• 77 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Saxon

So you’ve supported the toon for 63 years and you get your enjoyment from trolling on a football blog? Are you sure you’re not 12?

Probably best you get off the blog and go for a walk, target the 15 stone mark buddy! You can do it!

• 78 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Norcal,
    I’m still not convinced by Martinez. I think as the seasons go by they will fall away. He may be a good coach, but most of his transfers are awful. Without Lukaku, Kone would be their no.1 centre forward, a man some on here said I was crazy for not wanting in the summer. He was poor for Martinez at Wigan, and now can’t get a kick at Everton, why buy him twice?

Alcaraz, Robles, both part of his relegated Wigan side. His only good signings are Lukaku and Deloufeu, both of whom will be off in the summer.

Pardew is doing things he hasn’t done before here, and that is encouraging. He is playing football, he is altering approach dependent on opponents (although he still hasn’t quite got the tinkering down yet) and all in all things have looked good recently.

However, we have had a very good last 9 games, but the 9 before that were below average. A microcosm of his 3 years here for me. If he an maintain this, not the results necessarily, but the style, the performances the intent then I am happy to hold my hands up. We aren’t there yet though.

• 79 Rooster // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Question, who would swap MA for Super Steve Gibson???? he like quite a few others over financed their clubs leading to obscurity for the clubs in question, yea Mike is a bit of an unsavoury character but ask any pundit or analyst and they will tell you how healthy and vibrant NUFC are, one of the best run clubs now anywhere in the world of football IMO!

I myself stated that MA looked like he was happy to coast along in mid table picking his Sky bit up, and i also continually slated Pardew as well, but fair play the players bought are coming good and showing their true international class, we have an international in every position, and from decent world ranked Countrys at that, we are now being seen as no pushovers and feared by all premiership teams, and the visit to SJP is one of major concern for any club, how many said we would make Europe a few season ago?// how many predicted sucha poor season last season??? how many predicted a very good season so far this??? we are getting it wrong season on season including myself, who knows what next, the whole club now is in a good place everyone pulling together in the same direction, lets not keep saying we could have did this and that lets live in the moment and see what may happen, my view is we are becoming stronger day by day.

• 80 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Carter,
    Again, as I said to Toon Fan, all the players mentioned there except Martins are over 30 and collectively have picked up 5 winners medals. Not bad for people who did nothing after Newcastle….

• 81 NUFCarter // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Looking back no player that’s left NUFC has ever become any better really. Back in 2008 N’zogbia left. He had a good spell at Wigan, but that didn’t last long and has really stagnated at Villa.
    Ramage was never premier league class neither was the ageing Carr.
    Not sure about Rozenhal, but haven’t anything aout him since hes left, same goes for Emre who shouldn’t of left.
    Milner was brilliant for NUFC and seemed to keep his good form up for Villa and City until recently where he seems to be down the pecking order. I’d take him back although he wouldn’t replace gouffran or sissoko on the team sheet.

Given had a short spell at City and then from there it went downhill.

from 2011 Barton and Nolan haven’t really done anything special, same goes for Routledge. Thinking back i didn’t want these three to leave but now i wouldnt want them back just because they’re not good enough for the first team.
    On the other hand Enrique’s done quite well for himself at Liverpool and id have him back over Santon, although hes 28 in Jan.
    I was annoyed when LuaLua left but hes done nothing at Brighton since. The leg brake must have really affected him because i used to really rate him as a player.

In 2012, Guthrie and Best left and their careers went downhill too. Fraser Forster though has done brilliant at Celtic earning himself an England cap too. It was a shame that he left but Krul had that first team spot firmly secured as he still does today.

And as for Ba and Carroll, they are the best examples of once great Newcastle players who have left and become bang average players.

• 82 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Lilongwe…about your comment earlier I would say it depends on who you are asking – if you ask Ibiza then he would probably say it’s the latter ;) lol

• 83 Mister Tuff // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

The game on Sunday for me is going to be a defining game for me -hopefully will give an indication so far this season as to how we are progressing (and we are).However there are still signs/occurrences of poor play/being inconsistent.
    Could not really make any judgments against Stoke due to them only having 9 players – but the first half was worrying.
    Anyway on Sunday Mr T will return to the team (best player so far this season) so we should be able to gauge how we are doing – Arsenal seemed to have hit a vein of form (unexpected previously) with a couple of their players playing well. If we get at them from the start and give them no time on the ball we may get a result. I’m going for a 3 -3 draw.
    I think Mr Tubbs will be getting the cheque book out next month -we are 3 players away from getting into the top four and the riches that could bring. All in all this season -a mile better than I had hoped for but still work to do.

• 84 89Norcal // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM

@Lilongwe

That’s understandable by level-headed people such as yourself.

I was more referring to the shut-ins who pop out every once in a while to spout their baseless accusations and negativity.

We’ve got to shoot for CL, Swansea, Tottenham, and now us know that Europa League just doesn’t reward enough to justify the traveling and extra games. Maybe then MA will at least allow some Graham Carr transfers. Beats signing a couple youngsters and a senior player on loan, that’s for sure.

• 85 89Norcal // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Also find it comical how that guy thinks our squad is somehow autonomous and that Pardew has little to do with any of the success. It’s like those footie geniuses who think Barcelona could win La Liga and the Champion’s League with a monkey for a manager.

• 86 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Ciaran.

If Mackay has been sacked at Cardiff City, I imagine their fans to be up in arms and wishing their club was for of Tan.

Now you’ve got to agree that compared to Tan, Ashley’s almost the perfect owner of a football club. Tan appears to be an irrational and megalomaniacal.

Given the Cardiff fans’ unrest,we may see the formation of a T4C group and that being so, they’d surely benefit from the experience of the Newcasltle United T4C fans.

Ciaran, there’s a role there for you and others clamouring for regime change at SJP. Maybe you could bring some influence to bear by sharing your views with CC fans on the major blog site dedicated to that club?

I’m sure they’d welcome your wisdom and that of other kindred spirits.

• 87 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM

The self righteous dismissal of Ashley’s influence on the transfer policy that resulted in the current squad and therfore his part in our current league position is nowt more than sour grapes.

The same posters forecast that our players would be peed off at our lack of ambition and feeble squad strength, handing in transfer requests and skirting with relegation all season yet again under the hopeless management of Pardew.

They won’t admit it but there is a part of them that is gutted they have been proven wrong. The only way they can fool themselves into thinking they got it right is to bleat on that things would be even better with any owner other than Ashley.

A crass argument.

• 88 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Correction @85….

If Mackay has been sacked at Cardiff City, I imagine their fans to be up in arms and wishing their club was RID of Tan.

• 89 DJM TOON // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM

great idea Lesh,

• 90 Ted Bundy // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Mister Tuff, in his spare time, also likes to participate in blogs covering topics such as the Roswell crash, 9/11 and chemtrails, to name a few.

• 91 asenski // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Tan just wants results on one hand as making Cardiff the third big spenders this summer in Premiership (not quiete sure but read somewhere) and public recognition of his role as an owner of football club
    Did Mackay give him any of that? Of course he will be sacked

• 92 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Bills

So Ashley was some sort of genius by only bringing in 1 loan signing, or is your ace in the hole the fact that Ashley retained Pardew?

Or are you going to say that it was the genius dealings last January that are coming to fruition this season?

Ashley’s involvement in our transfer dealings has been a combination of risk taking and reactionary knee-jerk decisions.

Lesh

I merely support the movement, they would have to speak to those involved in the organisation of T4C.

• 93 swemag // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

@ PUMMELLER
    Some very valid points there about the debate on this blog. It is opinions, nothing else. The amount of abuse some people dash out is just astonishing.
    About Ashley, the guy is a billionaire, he did not become that by chance. I don’t think he enjoys being mediocre, I am pretty sure he has an idea of how he wants things to pan out. If we agree with that or not I guess is what divides many of us.
    Again, the guy is not an idiot, I think he has proven that with his business dealings. I think he has gotten a few surprises over the years on the decisions he has made, and quite honestly, some of them are just astonishing, is this some sort of shock tactics to get people to accept smaller changes, I really don’t know. Like – lets change the stadium name and upset people, in the meantime we make some changes that in comparison seems almost irrelevant and people hardly notice, in the end we change the name back and we still have the minor changes done.
    Either way, I do believe the man is learning and wants success for the club. Is he waiting for some teams to financially implode and then pick up their players on the cheap? That is what he has been doing in his business life and to be honest the way some clubs are being run in the Premier League it does seem plausible. At least the implosion part.
    Some people call him that fat cat. Maybe that is what he is, like a cat sitting and waiting for his prey and then strike when they show their belly.
    I am pretty sure with this kind of strategy, and we can only speculate if this is actually his strategy or just a coincidence, he will outlast his opponents and Newcastle will slowly but surely become a stronger club.
    Further, it seems the club is doing certain things to address what has been severely mismanaged by previous owners, such as recruitment strategy and problems with injuries.
    The time is still too short to say the Faye Downey recruitment is the sole reason why we have a good fitness record this season, we really cannot draw any conclusions on this, however, that there is a clear willingness to work on that level to me indicates that the leadership of the club is looking at all aspects of the club to make NUFC into a better and more successful club.
    We all want success for NUFC, personally I want this the Arsenal way rather than the Chelsea and Man City way.
    I hope this is the way to go.

• 94 Rotonda heights // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Lilo

I agree with and respect a lot of your opinions but I really don’t get the hating on Martinez. Everton fans love the way they are playing, they were desperately unlucky yesterday and Kone did exceptionally well at Wigan and was a very cheap buy for Everton.

At Wigan Martinez had to flog off the likes of Moses, Valencia, Palacios, Rodallega and others while having to field journeymen like Caldwell on a tiny budget.

I had an agenda with Pardew but I do acknowledge his enormous improvement. Ciaran seems to keep hating on Mashley in a rather obsessive and unhealthy fashion, whereas JFA has possibly softened his stance in the light of changing events.

• 95 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Rotonda

Kindly explain to me what has changed regarding Ashley’s ownership between the close of the transfer window and now?

• 96 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM

swemag,
    On Mashley not being an idiot you’re probably right, I remember when Pards said fondly of him ”when Mike don’t understand something he gets frustrated and upset”
    with those comments and looking at photos of our illustrious owner, maybe he has downs syndrome.

• 97 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Rotonda,
    What ever gave you the idea I had softened my stance on the Fat controller, I did last year but after that criminal negligence of that wasted summer I’d love to see the back of him more than ever.

• 98 stuart no9 // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM

very sad to hear about malkie mac. however , not surprised . when you get dictators with money , their is only one outcome. a dictator who knows nothing about football = disaster. Cardiff , hull, Newcastle , all have one. All 3 have divided their club, all 3 have little or no idea about football, all 3 make it no secret that THEY put the money in, like it or lump it , All 3 dont believe in democracy. I only hope the cardiff fans dont do what we done , and let their decpicable owner get his own way. Ihope they stick up for their club , something we didnt do..

• 99 swemag // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM

JFA

• 100 swemag // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Stuart,

Very few businesses are democracies. In fact, running a business as a democracy is not something that I believe in at all. I think it is a recipe for disaster and mismanagement.

• 101 Beardosfacedouble // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Sky Sports “expert” Merson predicts Arsenal win (oh what a surprise), but goes on to say “I always say if Newcastle can get their best eleven players out on the pitch they will give anybody a football match. They’ve got players who can get in top six teams and there are not many teams outside the top six who can say that”.

What a c*ck, this football “expert” doesn’t even know where we are in the league!!

• 102 TorqToon // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Plenty of Christmas spirit on here then lads? :-)

• 103 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Torq

Why don’t you spread some with what you might have heard. ;)

• 104 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Stuart09,

Ashley = disaster? ?

6th off top

6pts off the leader

3pts off a Champs Lge place

1pt off the Europa

A squad bought for less than £60M and valued at more than double that

And that’s a disaster :-)

Keep sucking those sour grapes.

• 105 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Bills

I have to say that Ashley has done himself more good than NUFC.

• 106 stuart no9 // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

swemag @ 98 ——– not long ago, football was a game- not a business . maybe democracy wasnt the right word , but using your wealth as a weapon to all who disagree in your beliefs, is not the sort of thing this country stands for.
    I wouldnt mind if ashley was using his business brain to benefit NUFC, but to finance another company ( SD) is nothing short of disgraceful , something he wouldnt get away with at a bigger club

• 107 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM

HD,

That is your opinion, not a fact.

• 108 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Rotonda

So absolutely nothing then? So if nothing has changed in Ashley’s ownership, could you then explain to me why my stance on Ashley should change? Or do you expect me to be like many fickle fans who will huff and puff when we’re losing games but be happy and content because we’ve won a few?

• 109 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

How is Ashley using us to finance SD?

• 110 stuart no9 // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

bills —– schhhhh, dont mention europa on this blog, you never know Ash maybe reading this blog and if he thinks he might have to fork out for flights and hotels next season , that could scupper our chances of getting a new player in next month or even next summer , yeah we are playing well . In 6th spot , but dont forget it was bottom 5 last season . As for 6th place , lets wait till the end of season before we get too carried away eh .

• 111 achtoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

what is the point in this argument about owners. Stu No9. you’ve listed 3 owners who you think know nothing about football but you can’t compare Newcastle to what’s happened at Hull and Cardiff and why have you stopped there? Manure, liverpool, man city, arsenal, spurs in fact most prem teams have owners who know nothing about football. you could argue that Ashley knows the most out of all of them as he is english and has been a football fan all his life. what did Hall or Shepard know about football? the one thing they all have in common is the fans hate them all. Except Man city i can’t think of one group of fans who like present their owners, maybe Swansea. Fans never like their owners because they don’t do it how we think it should be done.

We seem to be basing some of the hatred at Ashley because he doesn’t buy players every window. Like buying players is supermarket shopping where we can just pick them off the shelf and know they will improve the team. Cisse confirmed that Ashley tried to buy him the summer earlier but his club changed the terms at the last minute. so we have tried to buy players every window but they have to be the players we want at the price we want. Most of the players we were linked to this summer and we weren’t willing to match the price seem to have all turned out pretty poor anyhow so we were right not to add the few extra million and the gamble has worked out well. Ask Spurs fans if spending a hundred million on players has worked out for them. or bringing in a young European manager which so many of our fans seem to want.

i don’t get how we are playing well so we now have to direct our hatred at the owner .i t’s like we have to have something to argue about. As people say, we are our own worst enemies. If you go on other fans sites Newcastle are always listed as haveing an owner the others dream of. Not wasting money, not sacking managers at the drop of the hat and doing well on the pitch.

• 112 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Bills

Look at Sports Direct’s share prices, and look at how much he recently made from the sale of a small percentage of his holdings in Sports Direct if you find yourself confused on the issue.

• 113 stuart no9 // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM

CIARAN @ 106 — So very true.

• 114 TorqToon // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Indian – I know nothing, sir. :-)

• 115 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Bills,
    I would say HD is stating fact, we are an extra 50M in debt to when he took over, a considerable amount of yearly revenue down, not forgetting a relegation and a memorable inconvenient fifth place finish, while Mike Ashley and his businesses have gone from strength to strength, time well tell if we do or not.

• 116 Rotonda heights // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Owners of premiership clubs are always going to be / have been ruthlessly successful business men. They are not Mary Poppins type characters. What do people realistically expect?

Even if his most ardent critics can not deny Ash is a very astute businessman and I’d rather he parked his tanks on other people’s lawns rather than ours.

If we achieve success as a by-product of Ashley, will Ciaran and JFA ever be satisfied or is the hate just too deep and irretrievable no matter what?

• 117 TorqToon // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

However the lads giving cisse the ball to take the pen, and the celebrations when he scored was my moment of the weekend. Pleased for the lad.

• 118 tequilamag // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Ciaran, Fickle fans ? That`s a bit rich, start of last season you were pro Pardew and MA. Start of this season you said Pardew was beyond redemption, and now he is OK.
    People would have more respect for your opinions if they did not change all the time depending on whether we are winning or losing.

• 119 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Achtoon

If you think people are simply looking for a new scapegoat, you’re sadly mistaken. Many have been critical of Ashley for months, others for a number of years. It is not a new concept.

As for expecting new signings, well when you consider that our best striker does not belong to us, our club captain has been reportedly looking out for about a year, and our star midfield player has had his head turned by bigger clubs with ambition, you would say that NUFC fans could be forgiven for thinking that we would be looking to sign some players in the next window. If you also consider that with smart investment in January we could turn this excellent start to the season into an excellent finish to the season there seems to be more reasons to invest than not.

• 120 Himanshu Dhingra // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Dr.

don’t be humble.

• 121 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Tequila

Pardew is not the manager Newcastle United should have if we are looking to consistently challenge for top 6, but that does not mean that he has not surprised me with this start to the season.

In light of evidence opinions can change, there is no evidence to support a change of opinion with regards Ashley.

• 122 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Rotonda

Define success? If we win the FA Cup or the league title as a ‘by-product’ (vague term) of Ashley then I will forgive all manner of ills. Will never happen though.

• 123 stuart no9 // Dec 27, 2013 at 6:59 PM

ACHTOON— man city , liverpool,arsenal , chelsea, are all fighting for the CH, or winning the prem , – not to make their goal , ‘ staying up ‘

• 124 tequilamag // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Ciatran, nothing wrong with changing your mind but at the same time you can`t slate other supporters for being fickle when they have a change of heart. The only constant with you is whatever position you are arguing for at any given point of time is the correct one and whoever disagrees is wrong/stupid not a true supporter. Delete as applicable.

• 125 Rotonda heights // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Ciaran,

I absolutely detested Pardew but then he started addressing all the things I had been complaining about.

If you remain mired in bigoted hatred no matter what, you’ll find yourself almost wanting NUFC to do badly to make a point.

I freely admit I was guilty of this regarding Pardew and maybe that would be my default position if we start sliding again.

But for now I’m just enjoying the ride and long may it continue, as Mandela said, ” it is easier for the human heart to love than to hate.”

• 126 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Rotonda,
    If Pardew won manager of the year again and the FA cup would you still insist he was totally sh!te ?

• 127 stuart no9 // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM

If ashley was as ambitious as people think, then why dosnt he do what he done to CH ? sack him and bring someone in who can take us to the next level ? OK Pards is doing well this season . but so was CH, I think what ash meant by ‘ taking us to the next level ‘ was he wanted to give his mate a job , as he always does , pardew – wise – waste of space kinnear- all drinking buddies . so i will wait to see how long it will be before Ash wants to ‘jump’ to the next level.

• 128 achtoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Ciaren, you articulate you crap well but know matter how well you polish your shit, it still doesn’t shine. we aren’t the only club were some of our best players are loaned and players will always want to leave for bigger clubs no matter how big your club is, Ronaldo from Man U to Real for example. Agents only make money if they sell players. players come and go, so shit. they get replaced. the good news is we have an owner who makes sure he gets the price he wants.

and you slightly missed my point, i didn’t say a new scapegoat. why would i say that when i think everything is looking rosy? i’m aware that some fans have hated Ashley from near the start, we did all love him when he first came though, i’m saying we are looking for a reason to argue. you can’t really argue about matters on the pitch so you look for something else.

• 129 achtoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Stuart, yes they are challenging for stuf but the point is the fans still hate them, except the Arabs at Man city and do you think they no anything about football or Love Man city. they bought them out as they need to diversify for when the oil runs out so are buying up all sorts of Businesses around the world and a premiership club is useful for advertising, airline companies for example.

• 130 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM

SD’s share price rise has coincided with him retaking day to day control of the company, the demise of one of his main competitors and his continued purchasing of brand names which inceases profit margins.

Trying to say it is solely down to ground advertising, owning NUFC or pilfering profit from the club is either naive, deluded, hate driven or all tnree.

• 131 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Achtoon @ 126,

Very well said sir :-)

• 132 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Achtoon

Don’t get mad because I can spell. Your constant use of profanity seems to indicate a lost point, so I would say it is the very opposite of well said.

Rotonda

The difference between me and you is that Pardew has offered evidence of changing his ways which has afforded you with a reason to soften your stance with him. Ashley has not done that. I will always want the team to succeed in spite of my views on Ashley.

Tequila

I’ve never said anyone who disagrees with me is stupid, in fact I have been slated as not being a true supporter given how I was not born in the North East. I do stand behind my opinions very strongly as I feel I make them with the available evidence I have at any one time. With changing evidence, I can change my opinion. People who change their opinions without changing evidence are fickle.

• 133 Thump // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I see it’s degraded to ad hominem attacks again.

Sigh.

• 134 AaranD // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Newcastle United has to be the toughest team to own, manage, play and support… Oooo but we all love it :D!!

• 135 askar // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Hello Everyone!

Ciaran hope you are ok. I like your comments and opinions because they are really different but I am not agree with you as always. IMO NUFC could finish in the top four because we’re very good team and for the moment all we need is positive attitude :-) :-)

—————Krull—————

Deb——-Colo–Willo—–Mapou

————Tiot—Cabaye———–

Goufran——————–Sissoko

—————Arfa————-

—————Remy————-

• 136 achtoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Bills-son – Thank you Sir. I do try to not get sucked into these arguments, this site is so depressing sometimes and i only come on these days after a win as it good to see all of the happy folk so after a 5 – 1 wins i was expecting more of an upbeat tone than I find today.

Ciaran – “The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just a f*****g lunatic” – Stephen Fry

i’m not mad – i was making a point and your lack of riposte is telling.

• 137 Magpies-till-d3ath // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM

If there was ever a way for Newcastle to send a message to the “big boys”, a BIG signing in January would do just that. Arsenal signed Ozil and he was able to slot straight in simply because of the quality he has. We need a player like that as well as keeping hold of Cabaye. Just to show them other teams that we are where we are and intend to stay there. The top 6!

• 138 achtoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM

it appears i’m now being moderated for my slight use of swear words. so if a couple of similar posts appear that will be why.

• 139 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Phil Brown favourite for the Cardiff job
    because he has experience working with a Tan

• 140 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Askar

Must say that I do find your positive attitude to be very infectious (in a good way) one of the few people who I ardently disagree with who I find to be very pleasant! haha

Achtoon

As I said before, when you feel the need to resort to profanity to make a point, you have already lost the argument.

• 141 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Charlie,
    Bloody hilarious but I read this evening that Solskajear is being mentioned, I would have thought SAF would steer him well clear of a job like that.

• 142 achtoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Ciaran that is a load of tosh. Swear words are just words used to make a point. if i’d known i was talking to the vicar of Dibley i may have refrained. your use of exaggeration could also be a sign of lack of valid point.

• 143 calvinho // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Evening all. I think this Pardew/Ashley debate is a good one?
    However, when does an owner become a good one? When he sanctions millions on players that may or may not improve our team? When he releases a statement about the intentions of this wonderful club?
    I admit, i’m not a fan, but unfortunately, football is now a business and no longer a sport. There are parts of what Ashley is doing that I like and parts i don’t. But that’s business. That’s life!!
    And the ‘fickle fan’ talk…..we are in a results driven industry. When things go well, we voice our support. When they don’t, we voice our dismay. But we all have an underlying support and love for this club. This is why these ‘discussions’ are taking place!!

• 144 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Jail
    Solskajear seems to be favourite – cannot see it, must be bloody mad!

• 145 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Charlie,
    I’d like to see Solkajear succeed but I don’t think that Vincent Tan deserves success.

• 146 achtoon // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Tan has also said there will be plenty of funds available for the new manager but the lack of Funds was what the old manager was complaining about. Another Blackburn here i think.

• 147 Dannyo // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Solskjær won’t go to Cardiff.
    Just throw that out the window right off the bat.

• 148 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Achtoon

Profanity is used to make a point? Nope, shows lack of intelligence. You do know that swear words are based in the most primitive, base part of the brain. True story.

• 149 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I dont want one big name signing like Ozil, rather two or three good players, hungry and young…striker is a must and winger…Salah(Ince), Benteke(Mitroglou)…of course sign Remy permanent

• 150 jazzyp // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Why oh why do people constantly get drawn into war of words with certain bloggers on here is beyond me. No wonder so many have left…………shame damn shame !!

• 151 jazzyp // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Toonfan
    there’s one thing mate we wont be signing ishak belfodil from inter who we have been linked with as he’s apparently off to west ham on loan.

• 152 swemag // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Amazing day.
    Everybody got to say what they wanted?
    Hmmm…I still feel the urge to make some useless points.
    I will be back. Just need to come up with some more bs.

• 153 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

jazzyp
    if we can bring two good players I will be happy enough, on striker is a must maybee Aboubakar from Lorient, i am sure Carr has someone in his eyes…

• 154 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Achtoon,

Swear words are stored in the same part of the brain as automatic speech such as formalities, song lyrics and counting.

As such there is no correlation between swear words and lack of intelligence.

Just an intellectually flawed attempt to put you down :-)

• 155 Toon-Barmy // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Some interesting stats from the Stoke game:

Yoan Gouffran scored for the fifth consecutive home Premier League game, becoming the first Toon player to achieve that feat since Alan Shearer in 1996/97.

(Peter Lovenkrands also managed a five game home league run during the 2009/10 Championship season)

Loic Remy scored his 9th and 10th goals in the Premier League, becoming the twelfth Newcastle player to reach double figures in the competition during one season.

He emulates Andy Cole, Peter Beardsley, Ruel Fox, Les Ferdinand, Alan Shearer, Obafemi Martins, Michael Owen, Kevin Nolan, Andy Carroll, Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse.

• 156 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Bills,
    I prefer profanities to CAPS lock.

• 157 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

how much are Liverpool paying for Salah? and how much would cost Benteke? Maybee 15, max 20

• 158 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Bills

That instinctual area of the brain is indeed the most primitive and base as it relies on instinct. Where was the intellectual flaw? I feel you fail to grasp what primitive means. I actually found it a rather clever way to put him down, not my best work but pretty solid ;)

• 159 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Jail,

Yep me fkn too :-)

• 160 jimmysmith // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

We are lucky, lucky, lucky. The players will go into the Arsenal match after the huge fillip of the somewhat fortuitous Stoke result, that at the end of the day was no more taxing than a training match and also with Tiote to come back in. Both games at home over Christmas, unheard of.

I really am looking forward to this match and we deserve our luck, we have played the game in the right spirit this year and both sides are open in their style. Splendid prospect.

• 161 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Using the primitive part of your brain, which we all do, is no indicator whatsoever of your IQ.

The argument that using swear words in indicative of low intelligence is therefore 100% flawed.

• 162 jazzyp // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Toonfan
    No nothing of the guy so will trust your judgement mate. Still think we will show interest in gomis especially at a reduced rate, But do not think this the answer to the Cf position although an upgrade on shola. Would be nice to get remy to sign permanently on the dotted line but again I feel this scenario will bare no fruits at the end of the season.
    As you say I think we are only 3 players away from a top 6 team and will not be punching above our weight as many seem to think.

• 163 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM

jazzyp
    i think we must upgrade on our deadwood players like Ince or Salah in and Obertan out…and as you say Gomis as a CF in and Shola second option…I would be happy if we bring Ince and Gomis in january…other options and good players…and it would cost no more than 10M

• 164 jimmysmith // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I think the answer to our striker problem is getting Cisse firing and playing Remy wide, although if that were the case we would have an embarrassment of riches up front.

5 tip top players for 3 spots and Shola to boot, to chuck on when required.

I’d rather a genuine number ten in, with Cabaye sitting deeper alongside Tiote.

• 165 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Bills

I didn’t say using the primitive part of your brain is indicative of low IQ, using profanities in an argument to make a point is indicative of low intelligence. I was merely making a statement that it is found in the primitive part of the brain.

You need to work harder when it comes to seeing what people are saying. If you’re going to find excuses to have a go at me, make sure you’re not making yourself look petty pal.

• 166 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Sticking Remy out wide to accommodate Cisse is exactly the same as sticking Ba out wide to accommodate Cisse, look how well that turned out. Cisse is a poor striker, with nothing else to his game other than hitting spectacular goals. If the goals dry up, he has no redeeming features.

He’s not a 20 goal a season striker, and seeing how little else he brings to the team, I’d be happy to see him moved on. Even Shola is more useful than Cisse.

• 167 jimmysmith // Dec 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I think Remy actually is happy playing wider, where Ba certainly wasn’t and Cisse is certainly a twenty goal a season striker on record, although unquestionably sadly out of form. I haven’t forgotten the way he played when Ba was played out wide either.

• 168 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Your attempt at weasling your way out of your intellectual flaw doesn’t fool me.

You aren’t as smart as you think you are and there are plenty just as smart or smarter than you.

If you had any real intelligence you wouldn’t use the same type of put downs, sarcasm and insults that you deliver to posters on your own blog who dare to question your opinions.

Which part of your brain do you engage when you do that?

• 169 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Flash in the pan comes to mind when describing Cisse. He’s ventured from the ‘out of form’ category, and into the ‘simply a poor player’ category. Time to cut our losses and cut him loose.

• 170 Toonfan8 // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Ciaran
    I agree with you about Cisse, he is useless without goals…and he seems to lost his goalscoring form, always offside,slow,not strong enough.

• 171 jazzyp // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Jimmysmith
    Would have chosen ba over cisse all day long bud. Would love nothing more than to see cisse acquire his goal scoring boots again,And it was a nice touch from the players to give the lad the ball to score from the spot. And im sure that was a confidant booster, But how long do we give him to come good ???

• 172 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Bills

As much as you, and others, claim that I have an obsession with Mike Ashley, I am beginning to think you have an obsession with me.

I do not in any way think I am of superior intellect to anyone. As for fooling you, I would imagine that there are 5 year old children who could fool you, God knows Mike Ashley has been fooling you for 6 years, so you are clearly not too bright.

Are you equating sarcasm, insults and put downs with low intelligence? How have you made that link? Are you saying that people who are nice to others are smarter than those who are not? Who is making intellectual flaws now?

• 173 jimmysmith // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Ciaran, I take your point, but it seems harshly put for the Captain of Senegal and a prolific striker over the course of a by now established top flight career and the scorer of some absolutely stunning and priceless goals for us. Goals that fired us to fifth in 2012 and helped keep us up last term.

• 174 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Ciaran,
    I’ve never been one to claim a knowledge of tactics or positional play, it looks like now that Remy is an out and out striker, but when we first courted him was the thinking that he could play on the left and still score goals, maybe if Gouffran gets injured Cissse can step up, at long last the beauty of having competition.

• 175 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Jimmy

Think of the sitters he also missed last season? Games we could have taken 3 points from, or games we could have taken a point from had Cisse took his chances? His goals per shots ratio is shocking, and his record for his other clubs is not great, other than his decent run for Freiburg.

A career record of 120 goals in 291 games is not great, especially when you consider that he has not even played top flight football for that entire time.

• 176 jimmysmith // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Having said all that, I too would take Ba over Cisse, but we haven’t got Ba, we’ve got Cisse.

• 177 bills-son // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Strange, I ignore you for days yet you reply to nearly every post I make.

Then you say I have an obsession with you :-)

I’ve noticed you’ve also copied almost word for word some of my comments about Santon, Cisse and HBA.

Imitation as you know is the sincerest form of flattery. Keep up the good work.

• 178 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Jail

Competition for places is what we should have throughout the squad. It has improved the performances of the likes of Williamson, Shola, Tiote and hopefully Cisse can be bitten by that bug. If the fat man could provide that competition throughout the entire squad we could have a fiercely competitive squad.

I initially thought of Remy as a wide player who could play up front if need be, but I agree, he does appear more comfortable down the middle. Even if Cisse cannot step up, we always have Jonas to step up to LW….

• 179 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Bills

Copied what posts about HBA, Santon and Cisse? Believe me, if I were to imitate someone from this blog you would be the last one I would imitate. Sad to see such a clueless twit pollute my senses, and you’re in your 50s? Wow. Just wow.

• 180 jazzyp // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Did somebody mention our great Argentinian saviour !!

• 181 jimmysmith // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I see Jonas as an ideal squad player now at Newcastle. A top experienced pro who can cover a number of positions. I hope we can convince him to stay on despite a lack of games.

• 182 stan anderson // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Gra 3 points against Stoke although i think the ref.must,ve backed us to win 5-1 as he stopped giving us the decisionslater on te game.
    I think wewould,ve struggled to beat th full 11,who were playing us off the park till it all went silly.
    Going to back us for the title after that HWTL

• 183 stan anderson // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Great 3 points that should read sorry.

• 184 jimmysmith // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Hey, for anyone interested in full replays of our matches and also MOTD, gettyfooty.com is great. Too much of a Luddite to provide a direct link, so you’d have to google first. Apologies.

• 185 bollance // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

If you want the inside track on who we are in for then look out for where Pards pops up at watching games.

It is going to be a tough window because in order to improve the team we need to spend more than the £6m mark which reflects a big gamble according to our model. Also you can’t expect anyone we buy to hit the ground running as it is highly unlikely we sign anyone with prem experience.

As long as we resist big cash for cabaye it will be a good window because without him and even the resurgence of tiote we are a shadow of our best 11.

This team is performing well with a good balance about it providing we have our best 10 plus either one of Anita or shola depending on who we are up against.

• 186 breno95 // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM

@ Cairan, Ruddy or wtf
    You are one arrogant, self righteous W……….R!!!!
    Your head is so far up your arse it beggars belief.
    Putting it politely you are full of shite.
    Do us all a favour and
    Go back to your own bloody blog and rant on there.

• 187 jazzyp // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I see Zouma who we were linked with in the summer is being made available in January. Would show serious intentions from Ashley if we were to acquire this guy’s service

• 188 Ciaran // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Breno

Calm down pet ;)

• 189 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Ciaran.

You’ve been posting on here all day and you may have noticed that they are responses, critical responses to your views.

Might there be a message in there somewhere you could take on board.

As I suggested earlier, maybe the Cardiff City fans might be interested to hear your views on their plight!

previous post: There’s No Way Newcastle Should Be Challenging These Sides