The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Were Clinical In That Second Half

8:15 am, Friday, December 27th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

The Gods were smiling on Newcastle yesterday as we were second best for the first 30 minutes of the game yesterday against Stoke City, who had gone 1-0 up with a great goal from Oussama Assaidi after 29 minutes.

yoan goufran goal be arfa made

Ben Arfa congratulates Yohan Gouffran on scoring Newcastle’s second goal

But then a couple of Stoke players did things they would have done under former manager Tony Pulis, and Glenn Whelan was sent off for a second yellow card, and on reflection he deserved that – and that stupid look on his face after he committed the foul on Cabaye told it all – and it looked like he expected to get that second yellow.

And then center-back Marc Wilson lost his head and pulled back Loic Remy when Loic was straight through on goal, and that was a definite red card after watching the video replay yesterday many times – at first we had thought it was a harsh decision but Martin Atkinson got it right.

It’s probably not too surprising that Alan Pardew also thought the ref got both sending offs right, but Mark Hughes was incensed on the touch-line, but that’s getting to be a far too common situation for the former Manchester  United player.

This is what Pardew said after the game yesterday:

“The game changed on a couple of decisions that, on reflection, I haven’t really got a problem with,” “I thought Whelan’s first booking was slightly harsh.”

“Maybe Yohan was at fault himself and was lucky to get away without a yellow card, but the second one I have no issue with.” “Yohan gets a lot of bad treatment and I didn’t think that tackle had any intention to get the ball.”

“Whelan gets sent off, and then a really clever pass from Vurnon Anita changes the game because they lose a second player, which was definitely a sending off, and the game is completely turned on its head.”

“I was incensed with the penalty because Yohan should have been taking that,”  “We spoke about that at half-time.” “But I also spoke to the players at the break and asked the team to be clinical in the second half.”

“I wanted us to break quickly, and it couldn’t have gone any better. We were very good in that second half.”

Even if no Stoke player had been sent off before half time, we would have expected the Magpies to have been a different proposition in the final 45 minutes,  after playing poorly in the first half, for the first time in a long time.

But things were made easy for our lads, but they went for it in the second half, and  gave a professional show to wrap up the points and improve our goal difference to +6 against the nine men of Stoke.

Now for Arsenal on Sunday – what a game that should be,

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

Tags: Coaching · Premier League · Yohan Cabaye

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Jail’s too good for Ashley.

• 2 Malta Mag // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Ashley for Prime Minister, the way things are turning out!!

• 3 pawl250 // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM

JFA still on the doom and gloom?

Told you at the start of season we had a good squad, enough to compete for Europa atleast.

Possibly, and as only a whisper enough to compete with CL spot. 1 can hope/dream.

Bottom line is we are not a relegation team, we probably are 6 points of confirmation of safety for the season.

• 4 cyprus // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Jail,
    Back to the basics I see ;)

AP, what’s that about ‘Yohan should be taking that’? You mean, it’s still up for grabs regarding pens? Which reminds me: best moment of the game when Cisse scores that pen (which he was correctly assigned to take). The way the rest of the team congratulated and encouraged him was worth the price of admission.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Cyprus…I have just beeen trying to give
    manxpie a lesson in etiquettes lately…
    …manxpie has a problem with manners as
    you can probably read (had just decieded that
    I didn’t want to let it go anymore)

• 6 pawl250 // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I would drop Ben Arfa against Arsenal.

Yes he is exciting and he was one of the best players out on the pitch.

But Arsenal like Swansea should have been, require a 5 hard working man midfield. Man Utd squad should be starting line up for me…. Ben Arfa can play WBA ….. I would also play Mbiwa for pace over Williamson.

————————- Krul
    Debuchy —- Mbiwa — Coloccini – Santon
    Sissoko – Cabaye- Tiote – Anita – Gouffran
    ———————— Remy

Ben Arfa to play as an impact player if we are losing. We need to pack our midfield and close Arsenal down otherwise they will tear us apart.

• 7 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM

jesper

Manx is always ok with me, and most I think…you two just seem to have a difference of opinion on what caused the original problem and things escalated from there really.

Can I start a problem with you? Ben Arfa is useless and should be behind obertan…haha

• 8 Transfer Sage // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

pawl

I think willo has to play, we need somebody to get their head on it and no nonsense from them. I think the pace will be walcott on the right so up to colo and santon to deal with mainly.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Cyprus,
    Pawl90210,
    We had a squad that finished fifth and was added to with some very good players in January, however mine and a lot of other peoples gripe is that it wasn’t strengthened when it should have been almost causing disaster.

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

TS…like I said it has nothing to do with difference of opinion – this goes back a while and it about manners and etiquettes!

…I would never drag anyone else into it since it is between him and me and how he conduct himself when speaking to or about me!

• 11 lesh // Dec 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Malta Mag – Ashley for Prime Minister? Gripes no…. Unless you want him to buy Malta and turn it into a Sports Direct mega store serving the central Med area. Malta’d be followed by Gib then Cyprus!

And yes Cyprus, I too thought it very sporting of Remy and Cabaye to let Cisse take the penalty. The lads clearly think a lot.of him and felt for his plight – that shows the spirit that there is in the squad. Brilliant.

• 12 rwpoynter // Dec 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I guess others have realised this too, but we have played five London clubs this season, winning four and drawing one and have yet to concede a goal against them. Now it would be really nice to keep that going against Arsenal.
    On another topic I really think Pardew takes notice of some of the comments on this blog. His tactics seem to have recently reflected a lot of the more sensible views that have been expressed.

previous post: Pardew – Newcastle Have Tremendous Assets In Background